Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty
Is there a Trails series Megathread?

If not:

I'm playing them for the first time, starting with Trails in the Sky, and I'm just wondering how much doing a "blind" playthrough would affect my experience.

My understanding is that the entire series is full of easily missable side quests/items/content, but at the same time, pouring over a GameFAQ the whole time sounds like a pain.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty
I just picked up ASTLIBRA, and it's telling me that there's a lengthy cutscene at the beginning.

How long is lengthy? Like, MGS4 long?

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty
I'm probably a casual and a failure, but I wish the PR of FF1 had the Magic system (and bonus content) from the GBA version.

Actually the bonus content from all the GBA versions would be nice.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty
Of the FF games I've played, my personal favorites list is:

1. FFV
2. FFVI
3. FFI
4. FFIV
5. FFIX
6. FFII
7. FFVII

I attribute 7 being as low as it is to not owning a Playstation as a kid, so I never played it until years after the fact. It just doesn't hold up as well when the graphics are dated instead of revolutionary and the concepts it introduced are well trod instead of groundbreaking.

I need to try the Remake though.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty

The Colonel posted:

i only properly played ff7 with the ability to understand what it was a decade later and i liked it. the game looks cool visually and the writing is fun. even if the technical power of it isn't impressive anymore it still presents cool locations and scenes. i think it's kinda insulting to put down love of it specifically to nostalgia cause there's a lot about it that's just funny and memorable

I dunno, I've tried multiple times to go play the PSX version of 7, and it just doesn't click.

To me, the game looks frankly awful visually. I'm not shy about the fact that I loathe low quality 3D models compared to high quality sprite work.

And unfortunately the story being such a cultural touchstone means that most of the main story beats were spoiled years ago, so there's less impact.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty
I recall Legend of Dragoon's...

"Volcano!"

"Double Slash!"

"Moon Strike!"

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty
Did they mention anything about the Suikoden remakes? :saddowns:

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty
I'm that guy that adored the GBC Dragon Warrior Monsters games, but hates the Joker games. They stripped too much out of the games, and the poo poo-tier Nintendo Handheld Polygons™ are an eyesore compared to the GBC sprites.

Also, having grown up playing DWM, but not any mainline Dragon Warrior games, the mistranslated monster and attack names from the GBC games are way more charming to me.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty

Willo567 posted:

I can get not liking the shrunk down Mario Peach and Bowser models, but like others said it just looks like the original but with updated 3d models, which the original game used anyways. idk I think it looks good, but different strokes for different folks.

on the other hand, I am not a fan of the new sprites in the ff pixel collection

I honestly think that the GBA versions of FF1-6 (3 not being included notwithstanding) are the best versions of each. There's some minor audio quality reduction compared to the SNES versions, but otherwise they're the most fully featured and, IMO, best looking.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty
Random question - is Star Ocean 2nd R one of those JRPGs that has a billion hidden things that you can miss?

I started playing Trails in the Sky and got completely overwhelmed with all the missable side quests that are only available for a random short time window lol.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty

ImpAtom posted:

Yes, by design. Like you literally can not do everything in a single playthrough, some things (including characters) are mutually exclusive and there are two protagonists with their own unique scenes and recruitable characters even though they journey together.

You just kind of have to accept you can't do everything in one playthrough. SO2R marks a lot of events on the map so you'll be able to see a huge ton of stuff without needing a guide or anything.

Good to know. I definitely don't mind the game giving incentives for NG+, what I was worried about was things like Trails in the Sky and it's "collect each volume of this book series that the game calls zero attention to, and which are permanently missable, in order to get one of the endgame weapons".

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty

Defiance Industries posted:

Anything that's limited time will also be marked with a different icon so you know you should probably prioritize it. It was really easy to miss poo poo in the original SO2 but they aren't trying to sell Prima guides anymore.

Awesome.

Yeah those loving books aren't mentioned anywhere. I think the first one is just in some vendor's inventory, another is found by walking up to someone's desk and pressing "A", with no visual prompt, etc :v:

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty
I was scrolling through my Steam library looking at all the games I own but haven't played, and realized I have a bunch of Tales games and haven't played any of them.

So, between the following, which would be a fun one to start with?

Symphonia
Vesperia
Zestiria
Berseria
Arise

I know basically nothing about the series other than that the assorted games aren't related to one another in terms of plot or setting, and that apparently each one has a weird subtitle/theme that doesn't make sense to me, at least when reading it.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty

Awesome, will do!

What stands out about it?

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty
Well, I'll definitely try Berseria then.

Sounds like the others I have aren't very good, which is a shame. Well, Arise has good reviews at least?

Any other standout games in the series to look for? It looks like the ones I have are all that are on Steam, but I can certainly check out the others on an emulator or something.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty
I'll add those all to my list lol.

Although it looks like Graces is only on... Wii and PS3?? Does it have WAGGLE mechanics? Because I try to avoid Wii emulation since WAGGLE is a pain to deal with.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty

The Colonel posted:

the wii version isn't tled and is very bad so you don't wanna play that one anyway. the ps3 version is an updated rerelease with bugfixes and new content and it emulates pretty well these days

TIL PS3 emulation exists.

I literally never even considered looking into it because at the time the PS3 was notoriously difficult to develop for due to its weird rear end processor, so I assumed emulation would be similarly difficult.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty
I'm actually really, really enjoying Tales of Berseria, enough that I'm probably going to try out the rest of the games.

Based on the responses here, I'll probably try either Abyss or Graces next.

Thanks for the suggestions, RPG Thread!

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty
I need silly as hell right now tbh.

Not sure I'm in the right headspace these days for games (or media in general) where the general plot is "life is going to absolutely poo poo on the protagonist/their friends and they're going to grow by struggling on anyway".

It's why I actually enjoyed the Hyperdimension Neptunia games despite them being kind of terrible - they're so saccharine and goofy they made me smile lmao.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty

ImpAtom posted:

I am not sure Bersaria is the game you want then. It is silly as hell but also it is 100% about that.

Oh.

Huh.

Welp... I guess I'll see what happens then. I mean, I guess I should have guessed based on Velvet's outfit :v:

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty
How are the Ryza games? I think I actually already have the 1st of those.

I also have a Vita with CFW so if the Atelier games on that are cool that's doable.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty

ImpAtom posted:

My personal favorite of the Atelier games is the Dusk trilogy (Ayesha, Escha & Logy, Shallie) which are all available in "plus" versions on the Vita. Ryza is still plenty fun too. Be warned that Ayesha and Escha&Logy (and the games prior to them) all have time limits so if that stresses you out you may want to start with Ryza.

What kind of time limits?

Like, Persona games have "time limits" for the number of days to complete each dungeon, but they're generally suuuuper lenient and I've never once had any issues with that. Actually I usually beat the dungeons within like 2-3 days of opening them...

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty
Not gaming related in the slightest but related to goofy science in weird/bad books, have any of y'all read the novels the movie The Ring/Ringu are originally based on? Because they loving go places.

Like, the fact that the tape kills via a mutated strain of psychic smallpox is the least weird/bizarre thing about them.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty

kirbysuperstar posted:

Loop is an insanely bad book

Yeah, but it was so completely unhinged, especially when your only point of reference is the movie, that I couldn't stop reading it.

It was like watching a house burn down but then it turns out to be a meth lab and explodes.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty
Lamo apparently SquareEnix dropped a patch for FF7 Remake that covers up child-Tifa a bit in a flashback, and Reddit is throwing a fit about "censorship".

What they *should* be throwing a fit about is that patch being over 8GB.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty

Mymla posted:

Does she really need to be covered in 8 gb of clothes?

Apparently it's the most high-res black undershirt ever rendered.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty

Inspector Gesicht posted:

Look, Mass Effect 3 left a mark when Seth Green hooked up with an Operating System.

I was mildly disappointed you couldn't romance her out from under him, like on a renegade character or something.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty

ImpAtom posted:

I have no idea how in the world you got 'girlfriend' from 'twin sister.'

Since, as a JRPG,

It's perfectly common for it to be both.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty

GateOfD posted:

Crisis Core done.
Pretty good short OVA. I do take into account that it was a PSP game, so the combat was really simple, and very easy to just make it so that you oneshot about everything that isn't super secret final max boss or whatever, but I'm far from looking to grind for that. But if you ask me if it enriched the lore, I say it did, so it was a success imo. Not that huge into Genesis, but did like all the Zack and Aerith scenes and glimpses into Sephiroth when he was just a good working salaryman. Loved Cissnei.

RIP Zack, you were a hero.
I liked how they incorporated the DMW slots into his final stand, and it being Aerith as he's losing consciousness.

Can't believe they let me hanging on Cissnei's real name like that. I never touched Dirge of Cerberus, so no idea if much of the stuff here ended up in that game.

Aerith was my favorite, so I shipped Cloud and her when I played OG FF7. But seeing Zack and Aerith together, its like nope, its those two forever. Stay away from Aerith, Cloud. You get Tifa. Or Yuffie.
Cloud sure was a wuss in this lol. Other than when he lifted up Sephiroth by the sword and tossed him down. laughed/died that one of the final scenes was a j-pop montage of Zack from Cloud's perspective.

Have you played FF7R?

Because Zack may not be dead this time around.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty

GateOfD posted:

yea I played Remake.
But I still consider CC/OG FF7 its own separate thing really. Since CC was made long ago.

the FF7R, whatever different stuff they try on the story, its an entertaining spin, but I don't consider both the same entity.

also, oh god, 150gigs for FF7Remake, and then probably an interlude later down the line.

Like, with the first FF7R, Interlude, Remake, CC, FF16, that's the whole PS5 harddrive, wtf.

If you've read The Dark Tower series by Stephen King, FF7 vs FF7R is, IMO, basically doing what those books did at the very end - the story is being retold, but this time it'll be different and things will be set right

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty

Prowler posted:

Ugh, this was an issue in both Triangle Strategy and Octopath Traveler 2. In some cases, it was patently obvious, in some cases, the thread had to point out the tooltips were wrong.

I hope these errors are more the former.

Uh, did this early issues get patched eventually, or do you need a spreadsheet of "game says this, but actually means that"?

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty

victrix posted:

it's the thought of the word meta anywhere in proximity to a single player game that's murdering me

FTFY

Also, I assume people were talking about Star Ocean 2 Remake when discussing missable content?

I'm definitely going to have to use a guide when playing that because I have A Thing™ about missable stuff in games.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty
I had no idea Fire Emblem had a meta. I guess the Dark Fliers with that "double turns" move were good? I never play on the nightmare difficulties though.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty
The Jeigan stuff was a bit hyperbolic, but the growth percentages are known, and there are definitely units that are just flat out worse than others of their type.

And yeah the units you get at the end with great growths but no missions to use them on are a pain.

Although in the games that allowed grinding I am happy to do that :v:

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty
I'm just irritated that I basically had to stop playing Overwatch not long after it launched because the "meta" dictated I learn "counters" and "comps", even in unranked.

All I wanted to do was play Zenyatta or D.va and have fun. :saddowns:

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty

Endorph posted:

you can absolutely just slam pick zenyatta or dva all day in unranked

Last time I played, which granted was years ago, people didn't seem to care it was unranked - picking the "wrong" character was a great way to get harassed/abused in voice/chat.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty

Ornamented Death posted:

Tyranitar is my favorite pokemon because he's a 7-foot tall kaiju.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty
So, Unicorn Overlord is coming out on PS4/5, Xbox X/S, and Switch.

Is there any particular reason not to get it on the Switch? Any reports of performance issues?

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty

Apparently this was ported to the NES (based on the colors I assume this screenshot was from the Amiga version?), so I'll have to check it out. Seems interesting.

E: NES not SNES, drat phone autocorrect.

Annath fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Mar 8, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty

Sakurazuka posted:

That colour palette is almost certainly the Apple II version

The wiki said the Apple version was in Black and White, and the color version didn't come til the Amiga/Atari versions.