Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Thinking of playing Wild Arms 4. Anything weird I need to know about?

corn in the bible posted:

I found morte insufferable and he's there from the very beginning

lol the skull man wants to gently caress the corpse *laughs at this joke which is repeated multiple times*

Look if I was a floating skull I would want to bone everything too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Oh no Wild Arms 4 gives me stuff for importing a save from Alter Code F?

But everyone dissuaded me from playing that so I'm just going forward.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

This is weird even by Wild ARMs standards. First hour is a stealth segment with Metal Gear Solid music, then a bunch of people talking about genomes and poo poo while the world crumbles around them, and I guess my new party member is Alia Atreides-- excuse me, Yulie Ahtreide.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

So far combat is infrequent especially compared to WA3 where you get a prompt every 3 steps. Skipping combat when backtracking was simple enough but you’ll run out of crystals quick trying to do a puzzle or just scoping out a room.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Wild ARMs 4 is pretty good. The writing is average shonen anime and I miss the puzzle dungeons compared to this action platformer dungeon, but every other element is strong so far. Definitely a step down from WA3 but you can't improve upon perfection.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Do you really need to grind in Disgaea? I only played a few chapters of the first game but all the enemies level with you so it doesn't seem like you ever need to break the game except when you're doing post-game stuff.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

I don't know how anyone sat down to write the design document for Wild ARMs 4 and didn't immediately go

protagonist: Virginia, duh
graphics: exactly WA3

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Verranicus posted:

Any general information or tips for Pillars of Eternity?

The dungeon in the first town is very difficult for your level. You might want to come back. Likewise if you do a few quests in the opening area you're asked to assault a castle where the difficulty is all over the loving place. I would say do the main quest until you unlock your stronghold then branch off from there.

If you've played an Infinity Engine game before the same combat cheesing techniques apply. Use summons to soak damage and act as a physical barrier for ranged attackers. If there's a really hard encounter you can send one dude out to draw enemies back one at a time or set up choke points. Buffs and debuffs are more important than any direct damage dealing ability.

Lastly don't bother talking to any NPC with a gold name. They're backer rewards with bad flavor text and you can't remove them from the game.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

It's hard to believe Bloodstained turned out good after a year long delay and being passed around 4 different studios.

The game promised Wii U and Vita ports, it sets such a beautiful timeline for the project.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

lol wrong thread. I dunno, just really shocked the game survived running out of money and various management snafus. I think that speaks highly of Iga's management skills with paper thin Konami budgets and the faith of everyone involved with the project.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

5 hours into Wild ARMs 4 I think the most disappointing thing is that the villains are kind of lame? I loved Alhazad, Liz and Ard, the literal anime magic girl who transforms by reading light novels. But this game has... uh... a vampire, scarred twins, a butler who says bad jokes, a worse Janus Cascade, and a bunch of other forgettable faces like a Xenogears rear end council of mummies. Hoping these guys step up and do something cool.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Combat in WA4 is the high point, I just wish Jude wasn't the only one with an arm and I also wish Raquel wasn't a snail but I guess she would just one-shot everything otherwise.

Arnaud is the most realistically written 19 year old in a video game and by that I mean he just finished his first semester at college and has to tell everyone what he learned.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

You’re now humming Zed’s theme.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

I’m placing a sixty billion double dollar bounty on the WA4 designer who thought hidden treasures in battle was a smart idea.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

I’m reminded of Tales of Destiny where the rate for lens would fluctuate based on in-game events and it was frustrating when you sold everything for poo poo only to have the price jump a scene later. Although apparently it changes randomly map to map so I just learned something new.

E: my favorite ToD advice is blowing all your money on items before the midpoint where you lose everything, then selling it all later. Haha, gently caress you Rutee and your orphans.

al-azad fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Jun 24, 2019

al-azad
May 28, 2009

The real reason Dragon Quest VII took so long is because someone had to hand animate this motherfucker.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KtqvZK-43W4&t=229s

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Iga probably approached Wayforward out of appreciation for their style. If I needed some 2D wizardry to punch up my dull 3D graphics they're the studio I'd shoot for.

Ka0 posted:

I would love to see more appreciation for 32-bit era jrpgs. I'm glad GungHo is getting all of this negative backslash for screwing up Grandia's looks.

Give me a million dollars and I'll track down whoever owns Linda Cube. For a million more I'll even get you London Seirei Tanteiden.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

The ending is extra sad because it implies Clive either has to displace his family or see them even more infrequently.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

I never want to engage with the social aspects in life sims because the restrictions of time and the artificial-ness of their design makes it a real pain. And everyone expects you to come to them, I haven't played one of these games where the NPCs actually engage you in the relationship. Animal Crossing is cool and even though the animals don't really do anything but walk around in circles they'll still send you unsolicited letters, follow you when they have something to say, get mad at each other, and pretend to have a life that isn't 100% scripted.

I understand that's really hard and these games are ostensibly more complex RPGs but it's not impossible. Boku no Natsuyasumi series basically has unique scenarios for every character on each individual day it makes that game feel alive even if everything is scripted.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Barudak posted:

Until this moment Ive thought for some reason they were spanish speakers so "of Japan"

Please do not ask any further questions

Same. I always said duh-jap and it wasn’t until recently I realized “ooooh dee-jap, holy poo poo that’s bad.”

al-azad
May 28, 2009

AngryRobotsInc posted:

Good ol' Chrono Compendium. But see, they weren't translating the game. They were giving you the same experience playing it a Japanese player would have gotten!

lord, they're the worst sort of weebs. Them and the FFVII retranslation lot.

I’m looking forward to FF7R only to see if they rebrand Climhazzard.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

I don't know how I feel about this Oninaki game, don't know if I can sustain interest for 50 hours beheading civilians execution style.

How is this Fire Emblem game for a newbie? I have played a total of one-and-a-half Fire Emblem games and half the roster of Smash Bros.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

I wish Falcom and Tales Studio had the budget and/or art team of RPG Factory because they're games have really strong visuals despite making obviously budget rear end games. Trails and Tales are just so late-PS2 era bland sometimes with cut and paste character models and generic textures.

Same with Level 5. Fire all their designers and just hire the art team for Pokemon Sword and Shield.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Yeah, being a PS4 design there's definitely more attention paid to character models and such. The new Tales game also looks decent although it has that Unreal Engine look of cranking up the post processing effects a bit too high.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

The GBA version of Breath of Fire must've tweaked the difficulty because I'm getting my rear end kicked by these early bosses playing the SNES version. I know the game gets easier once you start getting party members but drat that Knight dude was especially cruel where he's like "nope I'm not dying" then somehow needs like 4+ more turns of attacking to finish off.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Evangelion is closer to Ideon in themes right down to the show’s budget constraints and a movie that destroys the universe.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Eva is actually about the anime industry after the 80s bubble collapsed. Anne is Shinji the depressed creator who is reluctant to save a doomed project, The ever changing angels are voracious fans whose tastes are unknowing and arbitrary, Genji is Hayao Miyazaki the perpetually disappointed father, Shinji’s mom represents the purity of art that is dead and unreachable, and the project is always understaffed and poorly funded.

That is the correct reading. Squall is dead, the blocks in Mario are transformed toads, Super Smash Bros takes place in St. Elsewhere.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

The Colonel posted:

i almost feel like i've attained this zen state with okage where i can peace out as long as it takes to clear the dungeons since the game is never really difficult enough to make you actually think that much but also i know that if i had to play this game on original hardware without fast forward i probably would get a lot madder at it

I beat the game on PS2 and while it never gets hard it does have a weird difficulty curve where an enemies do barely any damage to you but then there’s one that hits you with a one-hit KO or a spell that hits a random number of times for like 1-30 damage per hit so you either take nothing or just die. I know exactly what you’re talking about, I basically slept through the grave dungeon then got complacent and the boss destroyed the protag.

10 loving floors later...

al-azad
May 28, 2009

bagrada posted:

If I really liked Persona 5, and was thinking about grabbing Trails of Cold Steel but was daunted by there being 6 (8/9) games in that series, should I grab Tokyo Xanadu EX+ off the gog sale instead? I hear its a good budget take on those two. I've played nothing in the series, and P5 was my first and only Persona so far.

Cold Steel is closer to what you want. There are references from the other games in the series like Trails in the Sky but Cold Steel was my first and I've had zero issues following it.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

I have too many good things to say about Cold Steel. It's a game that kind of blasts you with bad anime tropes up front then immediately subverts them all. There was one point in the game I was really frustrated that introduces a character who feels like she's from a completely different video game series but they use her just well enough to avoid being grating.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Ibram Gaunt posted:

The epic bloom lighting in octopath looks so bad and it baffles me that people think it adds to it at all. Sprites look great though.

That's Unreal engine for you.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Grandia is Dragon Ball
Grandia 2 is Dragon Ball Z

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Hey now, Shadow Hearts is at least Dreamcast quality. Now Okage definitely has that N64 vaseline filter and aimless open fields looking straight out of Quest 64 but at least it doesn't rotate the camera around after every battle.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Okage's world is super fun to look at but they could've done a second pass on the monsters, most of which don't really animate so much as they float or leap through the air like there's zero gravity. The ones with the big goofy grins are cool and Treasure's Stretch Panic has a bunch of gloppy, smooth big grinning abstract beasts as well. If the game came out later there'd probably be more flourishes to it like Chulip which has a similar style.

But I have serious questions for the sound engineer who grabbed the very first "sproing" sound effect from whatever library they ripped it from. Every time Stan appears It's like Sonic's jump pitched up.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Barudak posted:

Im not caught back up to the romance bits in Grandia 2, butmy entire opinion of Grandia 1s character so thoroughly tanked during the part where the party abandons you that Im leaning towards giving godawful cliche drivel the nod here.

Why? That part was great. He gives up right at the moment everyone needs him and is rightfully dragged through the mud until he regains the confidence to get poo poo done. Only Tales of the Abyss had a roasting that harsh.

It’s a moment echoed in FF15 but there Gladiolus takes it way too far.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Barudak posted:

Its basically both completely out of left field how brutal everyone is (14 year old boy who convinced me to leave my endless lifetimes of isolation you experienced a single moment of self doubt after being gaslit by a "good person"? Im going to abandon you and tell you that you are the worst most pointless thing in my endlessly long life and that by having any self doubt I am doomed to a life of sorrow no matter what happens should have died alone instead) and how loving quickly these assholes show back up to root for you and act like they truly believe in you. No, Rapp and Liete, you aren't welcome back and I hope Gaia turns you to stone.

Edit: Ok the sprites were goofy in Grandia 1 but sweet Granas the slowdown in handheld mode in Grandia 2 is game ruining and Id be docking points left and right here if I were a reviewer.

Everybody is on edge as the end of the world looms ahead so I can't blame anyone for being super disappointed when the party leader -- who has gotten by this far on pure strength of will -- just decides to turn it in and let his friend sacrifice herself pointlessly. Some people need tough love and in the end they show up after cooling off for a bit because they still stand by the dude.

It's not like Gladiolus who physically assaults Noctis because he's sad after losing basically everything in his life overnight. Noctis isn't even turning his back on his mission, the dude is just understandably mopey and homey is grabbing him by the collar.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Barudak posted:

this whole scene is predicated on a person killing themself and providing no direction and putting the onus on Justin to make it meaningful, the villain side character loving gasliting the poo poo out of Justin and everyone just sort of ignoring that and saying he makes good points, then the character who does ultimately help you providing 0 help until you get ridiculed by everyone despite Justin asking for help prior to the scene where he confronts Feena.

Oh and its ridiculously unfair for two people to be like oh the driven 14 year old experiences self doubt after a journey where he has repeatedly been taught to respect others intuitions and desires over his own leave him on the premise theyll just wait for death now. Like gently caress you, not only does Justin ask you for support but you deny it but youre doing something even worse than what Justin is and blaming him for your own lovely actions because apprently its his job to make you happy and motivated all the time.

Then when back together and Justin is like fine Ill solo the rest of the game because everyone abandoned me they swoop in and are like good job, now I wont kill myself. This whole sequence is a bunch of shitheads getting their way and dodging all blame for their own actions and the emotional impact it has on others to the point where they felt borderline abusive.

Rapp is an rear end in a top hat younger than Justin who is confused about what to do, him coming back is his realization to stand by Justin and it would be extremely out of character for him to grovel for an apology. Everyone else supports Justin in that scene including Sue returning which lets not forget it's Justin's disregard for Sue's age and health that causes her to leave but she gathers all their friends together for one last hurrah.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Playing through Lunar: The Silver Star on SCD and it's surprising to see Working Designs at their most restrained. Sadly the game kind of sucks, god drat. And this is coming from someone who rented a SCD in 1993 just to play it because the full page anime screenshots in magazines of the "spicy" fully clothed bath scenes and character pinups triggered the inner weeb inside.

To be fair it's on equal footing as other middling RPGs of the time like Breath of Fire but even with the patch that restores the Japanese balance it's like why are some monsters easy and give a ton of money and some monsters are hard and give no resources at all? Why does this RPG in 1992 not have a central location to heal instead relying on the player finding random points on the map?? How inspired by PC RPGs were they to make story advancement give out quest rewards???

Is Lunar like the single most remade/reimagined game from the same company?

al-azad
May 28, 2009

The caveat to liking Level 5 is that you have to accept they just throw a million systems at a wall with incredible art design and hope it all sticks together and that is why Dark Cloud is GOAT.

I wish Pokemon was allowed to be as weird and open ended as Yokai Watch while still having actual good gameplay.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

al-azad
May 28, 2009

The Colonel posted:

there are lots of overambitious japanese dev studios across the years that put more thought into how big they could make a game than into how they could make the game fun to play and level-5 are just the kings of that. everything makes sense with the context that they were founded by the guy who directed overblood 2, the sequel to a janky low budget survival horror game, that they decided to turn into an open world sci-fi anime ova-style epic, despite barely even having money for decent cg cutscenes or 3d models

Who is love-de-lic and all their offshoots, Alex.