Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Dang I feel like I missed out. My top 3 were YLAD, 13sen, and Sakuna in that order.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

I'll believe it when I see it in red.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

This is from a while back but

Amppelix posted:

when exactly did the game do a both sides argument?

It actually happens several times but I wanna say the most egregious case of it was in Monarch, where the anti-corporate rebels were led by a malicious and self-serving idiot. Second most egregious is probably when you're doing Felix's companion quest, and you learn the rebel he admired was actually a corp double agent.

Basically the corporations are incredibly turbo-evil but every prominent leader of a movement trying to fight them is written to be cartoonishly evil themselves in a heavy-handed, inorganic way that really strains the writing's credibility not just as satire but as a narrative at all.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

I'm pretty sure that since P5 and Yakuza 0, the Yakuza and Persona translation team is one and the same. And yeah, P5 is obviously a lot rougher but at this point it can't be helped, but they did get better as they went along.

Most of this stuff has to do with how much the devs themselves are willing to cut over how awful it is.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Amppelix posted:

hmm, i didn't really get this vibe from the game, but i guess i can totally see where it comes from. yeah, that's a fair assessment.

It's the sort of thing that bothered me after I kinda lost momentum in my playthrough and had time to sort out my thoughts. I think some people were angry at the politics of it, but I was just kind of disappointed when I called the twist of Felix's companion quest and it didn't even stir a strong reaction, positive or negative. Just the knowledge that, yeah, based on what I'd already seen it sounds like a trope the game was gonna dip into again.

That's when I realized they were leaning too hard on the schtick for my tastes.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Everything about Legrand Legacy sounds just dumb as hell

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Videogames don't make people violent

Easter eggs do

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Clarste posted:

That's Grandia 2:

lmfao

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Zore posted:

Suikoden 1+2

seconding this, the first one's a little rough but lands some solid hits and the second is probably my favorite jrpg of the era.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Excuse me, but Wild Arms 2 is Kamen Rider.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Jack's offering free rent?

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Big JRPG hours here

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Would've liked to have seen the Phantom Thieves face off against encounter and be confused by a series of continually self-destructing Hol Horse + Boingo combo attacks

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

I stumbled onto a steam comment explaining you could change up portraits in Under Aura by swapping files around using Unity Asset Bundle Extractor so I guess I know what I'm doing this week.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

YLAD for me

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Acerbatus posted:

also apparently NISA is doing customs fraud now because double checking it has the value for the game as 9.99 instead of the $120 canadian its worth

This seems startlingly unwise of them

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Endorph posted:

Angelique

[banging fists on table]

NEOROMANCE MUSOU!

NEOROMANCE MUSOU!

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

kirbysuperstar posted:

Come to think of it wasn't there an Angelique character in Warriors All-Stars?

Wait, was there?

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

OneDeadman posted:

Wild Arms 2 is just a Toku Story

I don't remember a whole lot about WA2, even the bad translation just kind of washed off my brain when I played it. But I do remember that the moment it becomes a toku story it whips rear end and that momentum basically just kept me going.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

"Yet"

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Endorph posted:

fundanshi for male fujos, himedanshi for male yuri fans

... Didn't realize it was that simple but I probably ought've

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

You do not, in fact, gotta hand it to Cerberus

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

there is no problem in luct that can't be solved with archers. there are no diminishing returns, either. more archers = better. but as you can imagine, full archer teams make the game pretty dull.

And then they overcorrected by making archers suck in FFT

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Stranger of Paradise looks like more Nioh from the devs of Nioh, a rather well-regarded series that combines character action with a few souls-like gameplay conventions that happens to be rather warmly regarded by people who enjoy soulslikes as a genre. They've always been unique enough to carve their own identity from FromSoft's games and SoP has a lot of that DNA.

Basically if you don't know why there might be genuine enthusiasm it just means you're not in that particular demo.

Junpei posted:

It just looks so... grimdark and emo. Every time I look at art of it I can faintly hear a "CRAWLING IN MY SKIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIN" in the back of my head.

At least from the demo it looks like you might be misreading the tone, or at least misusing the terms "grimdark" and "emo".

Jack's terse and completely uninterested in things that aren't his primary goal and the game leans into it. This a source of mild comedy at points, as you might expect.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Junpei posted:

I mean from the blurbs they've all but said that Jack's gonna become a bad guy, which is definitely gonna be full of drama.

He will knock them all down

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

https://twitter.com/enigma0451/status/1503513501314293762
https://twitter.com/CaribbeanRagna/status/1503636169011208195

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Saw tietuesday describe SoP as "Kingdom Hearts + Dudes Rock" on a stream and I'm dying over here

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

RareAcumen posted:

:thunk: Well I do enjoy these antihistamines so maybe I should be more open minded here.

ELECTROCHEMISTRY [Challenging: Success] - The allergies can't catch you if you're asleep.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

XC2 just left me cold with all of the "you thought you beat me in gameplay, but you actually didn't in the cutscene!" story turns, which were common enough to be noticeable in a genre infamous for the overuse of them.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

ImpAtom posted:

I didn't really notice it but after Trails of Cold Steel it would take an entire game made up of literally nothing but those kinds of battles for me to even take notice.

Oh.

That's chilling.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Alright cool, good to know. I have the DLC jobs too if those are worth looking at.

Matriarch teaches a cross class skill that lets Eri and Saeko gun people down with an AK.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Jazerus posted:

so2 is bad, so1 is good. this is the hard truth that the world can't accept

SO2 has iron chef, motion denied

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Infinite Space would be this to a tee, if 13 Sentinels counts.

More people should give Infinite Space a shot, especially if you're the sort of person for whom Captain Harlock by way of LoGH + a hint of Star Ocean sounds interesting at all.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Yeah YLAD is definitely mechanically pretty rough and poisoning Kiryu is considered a fully legit strat if you're not overleveled or outgearing him. That said any single boss melts against Darts Airstrike from Dealer since it deals full damage three times when used against a single target. It's so OP it feels like an oversight.

The story's top notch though, at least on par with Yakuza 0 imo and enough to make it one of my favorite games.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Ibram Gaunt posted:

He seemed to focus Ichi near exclusively even when I had 3 dudes in my party so I assumed he was just programmed to focus him lol. The only time he targeted anyone else was when someone got revived

There's a reason for this.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Oh it's absolutely just a joke but it's one they like to run with if they remember to.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

lets hang out posted:

Guess CC2's Demon Slayer game made enough money they can afford to throw it away on a Fuga sequel

https://noisypixel.net/fuga-melodies-of-steel-2-launching-2023/

Hell yeah

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

exquisite tea posted:

I've outlived all the 35-year old grizzled JRPG war vets and I'm happy to say I've come out the other side looking a whole lot better than they did.

JRPGs are stressful enough that people usually hit a really hard 30 and I don't envy them for it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Ichi really is my favorite jrpg protag though and lol that he's voiced by the guy who also played nishikiyama