Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

"Most plans are critically flawed by their own logic. A failure at any step will ruin everything after it. That's just basic cause and effect. It's easy for a good plan to fall apart. Therefore, a plan that has no attachment to logic cannot be stopped."
Hey, I'm also playing Eiyuden Chronicles, and I'm looking for some minimal-spoiler mechanics info, since the internet has become essentially useless for finding reliable information (for instance, all the guides that are actually copying off the same uninformed article claim that Hiro requires castle level 2, and you need to get the Palenight Mail for Galdorf from the Proving Grounds, but a Palenight Mail shows up on the floor of the mine in the shortcut tunnel that opens up leading to Ormond and you can recruit Hiro either immediately or after opening the Trading House). So, anyway, does anyone have any insight into how Star Items work in shops? Just found my first one in Treefolk Village, and I'm hoping it won't be too painful to get all the important ones I didn't get earlier on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

"Most plans are critically flawed by their own logic. A failure at any step will ruin everything after it. That's just basic cause and effect. It's easy for a good plan to fall apart. Therefore, a plan that has no attachment to logic cannot be stopped."

Inspector Gesicht posted:

So, Cromartie's a solved question. There's likely a game that channels LOGH but it's inevitably a real-time strategy and I'm terrible at those.

Infinite Space for the DS, part of Platinum's first big deal with Sega that put them on the map, and sort of the underrated dark horse of the bunch. It's a space opera with a janky-but-interesting battle system that makes it hard to define in terms of genre because there's nothing else quite like it. It feels exactly like playing through one of those long-running epic space opera anime, including having a cast that makes Suikoden look restrained.

EDIT: gently caress, beaten. Still worth a second recommendation, though.

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

Apparently harder than Infinite Space's combat model is that it's been trapped on a dead console for the past decade.

Emulators exist and are the only way I could ever have played about 75% of the RPGs I've played. Not least because a fair chunk of them were never released globally and were fan-translated.

Barudak posted:

The part of LOGH I like is the ship battles and odd germans so I just play Flotilla while listening to documentaries on Neuschwanstein Castle

Infinite Space absolutely has ship battles.

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

Einander posted:

Currently toward the end of the first Seign segment in Eiyuden (on Hard), and... man. When I look past all my nostalgia for Suikoden, I just think it's not a very good game. Every time it does a Suikoden thing, it does it worse.

I mean, we all wanted Suikoden At Home and this is definitely Suikoden At Home.

I think what went wrong was that everyone got so focused on "being Suikoden" that they failed to make something that could stand on its own. Everything in the game exists in relation to Suikoden to one degree or another, so if you stop and think about it for too long, it all starts to feel hollow as you have to deal with the gnawing realization that you can't go home again. In this case, I think it's healthier to just sit back, turn off the critical parts of your brain, and just lean into the "Yay, more Suikoden!" impulses, because poo poo's depressing enough without ruining a fun game for oneself because some of the mechanics are janky or the plot is pretty flimsy. Maybe if this one is successful, they'll make a sequel where they polish the mechanics and focus more on creating a coherent narrative.

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

fridge corn posted:

making use of the defend command.

This is honestly underselling it a bit. I was definitely impressed at how much thought went into giving much of the cast their own unique defend commands. Yusuke is a party mainstay because Charge Up is goddamn insane, especially if you use his charge turn tossing a buff on him (not to mention that his unique rune all but guarantees you can get your payoff at least once, unless you get greedy). Using Charge Up made the boss in the Greatwood much easier, since I was triggering the counter only once every three turns.

That said, they're not all winners; Iugo's Taunting Counter is genuinely useless, because the taunt only increases his targeting weight rather than guaranteeing he gets attacked, and he has to dodge the attack, and even then he's not guaranteed to counter (on the other hand Iugo is, stats-wise, this game's Viktor, so he wrecks everything 24/7 with or without a useful defend command).

My only real complaint about the cast is the absolute raw deal Dr. Corque got. Like, I get it, if he could unleash the true power of the spin in battle, the game would be over in just a few minutes, but his stats are really inexcusable, especially since other guys who are normally mediocre benchwarmers (like the resident bandit trio) are actually pretty drat good this time around. He's the first character to be just completely nonviable so far, and it was a real bummer because I was stoked to find out he's a party member.

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

fridge corn posted:

Haha, see my above post! Wasn't impressed by Yusuke until I had him in that fight ;)

I'm looking forward to when he gets his magic rune and I can set up some truly massive hits on bosses by charging twice, using the buff spell from an elemental enchantment rune (and probably adding other buffs, such as Falward and Francesca's combo), and popping off with Armor-Piercing Strike.

By the way, Falward is very interestingly designed, and shows the somewhat experimental approach taken with some of the cast. Dude's stats are absolutely goddamn insane, but his rune slots are terrible. It's an interesting approach to balance.

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

Taear posted:

Honestly with this game it could be bugs, who knows.
I've found damage extremely weird and swingy. Like Garr gets hit for 1 (he does have armour AND a high defence score) whereas Lian gets hit for 70 and Nowa gets hit for 40 all from the same enemy. Nowa and Lian have almost identical defence stats and no armour, I assume it's down to damage types but I can't really tell what they're weak to and WHY they're weak to it.

And using "Defend" doesn't make that damage lower in any appreciable way.

Vanilla Defend roughly halves damage, I've definitely seen it work when I'm powerleveling underleveled characters.

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

Paperhouse posted:

My one criticism of combat would be that runes are generally not customisable enough. Every character seems to have mostly locked in runes, I think I'd collected like 10 runes before I could even change a single one on a character. I know Suikoden did this too and had even fewer rune slots, but it would be cool to have more freedom to build your characters and mix up different runes. Maybe that will become more of a thing later

Part of the issue is that rune slots are generally locked into specific categories, so even when a character doesn't have unique runes taking up slots, it may be hard to find something to put in there.

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

Since the scenario director had his name rubbed off Suikoden 3 when he left, that would make Eiyuden the actual Suikoden 4. Which helps because nobody has a kind word about Suikoden 4.

I... appreciated that they included Ted as a narratively-appropriate callback? I thought Schtolteheim Reinbach III was a solid punchline to the running gag?

That's, uh, that's about all I got, yeah.

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

My favorite bug/oversight in Eiyuden Chronicles, by the way, is that Hildi is available as a card game opponent from the moment you open the card shop. Even as a member of a hostile occupying force, you can just call her over to the castle to play cards whenever you want. That and her S ranking implies that she's secretly a big fan of the game. Hell, maybe Glen's shop is the only place near Grum County that sells the cards, so she just drops by in her off time.

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

Rinkles posted:

How did Cave land the SMT MMO gig?

They just kept sending offers in increasingly varied patterns until Atlus couldn't reject them all anymore.

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Just copy whatever they are going to cook, but replace a dish or two with favorites for the judges. A guide is helpful but idk where the calculator comes in.
There are absolutely way too loving many cooking battles. 17 is far too many for this stupid minigame.

I'll say, the underlying mechanics don't seem as well-made as Suikoden II's cooking battles, where rather than needing a specific dish, everyone had different preferred styles/flavors, and each recipe had different ratings for those tastes (for example, cheesecake scored well with judges who liked sweets, western cuisine, or, oddly, meat lovers). Each dish also had a base "Tastiness rating" that influenced scoring, and you also had to have the dish in the appropriate part of the meal. In Eiyuden, it seems that if you don't literally serve up their favorite dish, you're basically screwed, whereas in Suikoden, you had room to be creative if you knew the judges' palates.

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

I just got Milana in Eiyuden and she, in particular, really takes me back to playing Suikoden, in that she's a character that would be utterly garbage except for her one unique battle command that's so good that it alone justifies everything else about her and makes her worth using.

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

I'm loving the route split in Eiyuden Chronicles so far.

Nowa: "How was your mission?"
Seign: "I had to fight a series of horrific monstrosities and an innocent boy had his arm cut off in front of his sister. You?"
Nowa: "I raced sailboats with shark people that talk like pirates!"

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

Barudak posted:

Also if you were thinking well, Barudak its obvious if a character comes with a certain element equipped thats their best not always and sometimes it means absolutely nothing like with Francesca

Francesca's affinity is equal for everything except Dark, so you can at least assume their default rune isn't their weakest. In fact, if a character has a best element, and can use magic runes at the point you recruit them, they will have it equipped by default (or at least, that's the case for all the mages I've recruited up to this point*). Mellore is the only character who joins at a low enough level to not come with a magic rune attached, and it should be pretty obvious what her best element is.

*Hildi and Seign don't have their affinities listed on the wiki, so I don't know if they're actually better with water magic or not, but it stands to reason, given the broader pattern.

Barudak posted:

Its fun how grueling a grind against resources those fights are and how bad some of your tools turn out to be like that combo and Ivy, in general, as a character

The secret is that Yaelu's blind skill affects everything except the chimera, and the chimera is a pretty simple pattern boss where you may as well defend/dodge the whole time when you're not healing or using Sylvie. Also I gave Pohl the Growth Ring before jumping over so the gang had an extra level or two. I definitely had to pop some MP restoration between the research lab and the boss fights, but it wasn't that bad. Then again, I don't know what difficulty you were playing on, it's probably a lot worse on Hard.

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

I just discovered that when you send out dispatch teams in Eiyuden, if you go to the location mentioned in the request, you'll actually find them there. That's a nice touch.

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

Tequila Bob posted:

Infinite is awful. "See, the oppressed minorities are actually just as monstrous as the oppressors!" Booker writes off Daisy because he's a racist, and then the game validates his viewpoint by showing her almost murdering a kid for no reason.

That's not the story of Bioshock Infinite. The story of Bioshock Infinite was "Stop making me make Bioshock sequels, they're the exact same cookie cutter formula every time." Like, the subtext fully becomes text at the end of the game. "There's always a lighthouse, there's always a man" and all that. That's the point behind the genre-shifted licensed songs (recycling old media by slightly changing the context), and all the Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead references* are meant to clue you in that the surface plot is meant to be ignored in favor of a pretentious metatextual treatise. Killing Booker to break the cycle of whatever-the-gently caress was symbolically killing the player to end the cycle of Bioshock sequels. gently caress, it's even in the title, Bioshock Infinite, you know, as in "we can recycle this premise endlessly and the differences will only ever be aesthetic". It's pretty hamfisted and the DLC completely undermines it, but I'm consistently shocked at how few people picked up on any of this.

Hell, that's even why the "plot" is "Weird political ideology gets an isolated city to itself where everything goes to poo poo, but people representing the opposite ideology are also bad because reasons, lighthouse, man, midgame diversion with a crazy person who gives tasks remotely in exchange for a macguffin and you later can kill them, etc.", it's a total paint-by-numbers retread of the previous two titles, to an uncanny degree.

Like, don't get me wrong, the game was pretty bland and while the "political messages" were basically intended to be pointless, they still handled them in a very sloppy manner (Vox Populi were clearly meant to be a Workers' Union and the bad stuff they did was a "dark side of unions" thing but they wound up letting it get wrapped up in the game's racial themes so the whole thing came off as pretty gross). It's in no way a great game. But, credit where it's due, they didn't keep making Bioshock sequels, so they at least practiced what they were preaching.

*Most telling is the coin flip at the beginning of the game. Compare this scene from Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead. This scene is what leads the pair to conclude that their lives are no longer being governed by random chance, but rather by the dictates of some outside force (in other words, they become aware that they're characters in a story, and their coming to grips with this is one of the primary themes of the play). Hamlet plays out around them, but is unimportant and superficial, with the important stuff being their discussions about destiny, physics, death, etc. So the coin flip in Bioshock Infinite is Ken Levine signaling to the player that Colombia and everything happening in it, it's just a thing that's happening as a backdrop for the stuff he actually considers important.

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

Oxxidation posted:

what we know of the game’s development completely undermines this bunk-rear end meta fictional reading, to say nothing of how bioshock itself is just as derivative of system shock

So, all those things I specifically pointed out, they just got into the game by accident? Because they're not exactly vague. Multiple explicit references to Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead, pretty much the entire game being about old things being reused and repetitive cycles, all of that, a complete coincidence? I don't really pay attention to social media, so I don't know much about "what we know of the game's development", but I played the game, and having all of that unsubtle allegory show up just by pure happenstance would be one hell of a statistical anomaly.

Also I almost forgot what I came to the thread to post about today, that being how Eiyuden really captures the spirit of Suikoden by bringing the fun to an absolute screeching halt with one of the worst minigames ever created. These goddamn boat races have controls that make Superman 64 look halfway decent.

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

Runa posted:

The Rosencrantz and Guildenstern reading is very clever though, much more than Bioshock Infinite deserves, so kudos to that.

Wonder if there was a writer at 2k quietly begging for help. Considering they were working for Ken Levine, it's entirely possible.

I mean, someone must have at least been a fan of the play/film, because while the coin flip might have been unintentional on its own, the coin flip and the Luteces playing badminton in the background later on, paired with all their meandering Greek Chorus dialogue? But, I'm a huge fan of it, myself, so maybe I'm just eager to see references to it wherever I can. And, I mean, Bioshock is a pretty limited formula, like, even good games based on it (like the Prey reboot and literally nothing else) end up feeling like the same thing in a slightly different location, with Mad Libs-style replacements of some key words. If not fatigue, someone might have just been critical of the sheer pointlessness of the formulaic sequels.

Also the one good thing I will say about Bioshock Infinite is that the genre-shifted licensed songs were actually really cool and are the one thing from the game that have stuck with me.

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

Hey, in Eiyuden Chronicles, does anyone know if the tool shop in Athrabalt changes inventory at some point or something? I keep trying and they won't give up their Steamed Bread recipe, and the only other time that's happened was with the rare items in Eltisweiss, where the items won't ever show up until later in the game when the shop inventory changes.

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

GateOfD posted:

sometimes i check some the characters you can recruit in Eiyuden to see if they're worth looking for.
i guess the actual story characters are just suppose to be above a bunch of others.
Cause I'm seeing these early characters with like 4 or so rune slots max. And I click around randomly on a listing of characters on a portrait that looks cool and some of them have like 6-7 and like epic slots and stuff. Like I don't know if the lower rune slot characters have extra raw stats to make up for it. But I doubt the game went out of its way to strike that balance.

Some characters, like Iugo and Falward, have insane stats but unimpressive runes, but overall there's no apparent rhyme or reason, and a huge portion of the cast is unusably bad, including most of the story characters (including literally everyone from Seign's route split, as well as Seign himself). And some characters, like Isha, have utterly busted stats and phenomenal runes.

I've been taking notes on the playable characters as I go, a bit stream-of-consciousness, but I could clean them up and make them available as a Google doc, if anyone's interested.

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

Endorph posted:

they were probably trying to go for overwatch type appeal and the char designs werent awful but they didnt really stand out

They were also definitely trying to chase Fortnite, as well. The whole thing reeked of cynical trend-chasing, which is one of the key reasons it completely failed to accomplish anything. It turns out, when you try to copy already successful games, most people would rather just play those games instead. This is doubly true for online games, where the game with the established userbase is phenomenally difficult to dethrone (SEE: Warcraft, World of). There are, of course, rare exceptions, like Fortnite completely supplanting PUBG, but that's usually because the new guy did things radically differently despite operating in the same space (the cartoony aesthetic, structure-building, deeply cynical cross-promotions with every IP under the sun to attract small children who don't yet understand the evils of late capitalism, etc.).

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

Barudak posted:

Shes in the second area of the shops. If you have the rune store she is down and to the left of that shop.

Shes also useless until the final shop upgrade.

This isn't quite true. Your shops seem to Mega Man any shops you visit (with a possible cap based on upgrade level, I didn't notice any but I upgrade my castle and such as soon as I get access to a new tier of materials), and you can then buy and equip things for all your preferred characters at once rather than having to change your party like four times to get everyone. Well, I haven't tested the rune shop because it's so much more convenient to mess with runes via Sumire, but Frida lets you equip stuff you buy on anyone you've recruited.

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

Has anyone found the Cherry Petals in Eiyuden Chronicle? It's the last bath item I need for a complete set. Most of them were pretty easy to find, the only other tricky one is the Distant Flying Saucer, which is one of those ground pickups, hidden behind the fallen meteorite in the Eastern Desert. It blends in pretty well, so you may need to look closely.

EDIT: By the way, I've made some discoveries regarding the rare finds in Eiyuden:

-If any shops in a given town change inventory, they all do, even if the new version of the inventory is technically unchanged, and rare finds only show up in the "final" version of the town's shop inventories (Athrabalt's weaponsmith and armor shop upgrade following the Ice Cave, and you can obtain the Steamed Bread recipe at that point)

-Touching any shop in a given town will roll for rare finds and set the 30-minute lockout timer (also discovered in Athrabalt, where I couldn't get the recipe to show up, but I'd also just updated my team's gear, and realized that was the reason the shop wasn't giving up the bread; after I gave it some time and came back, the recipe showed up within just a few reloads)

EclecticTastes fucked around with this message at 09:35 on May 1, 2024

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

One of the most amusing gently caress-ups in Eiyuden Chronicles is that in the cooking minigame, the emcee announces all of the Gastronomes as the Spintinels, which, they're both elementally-themed "bosses" of their respective minigames, so I'm sure someone on the localization team just got mixed up, but I like to imagine the announcer is trolling the chefs by making fun of their goofy-rear end titles.

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

Woolie Wool posted:

Are there any party-based turbonerd CRPGs that have social systems anywhere near as deep as the combat systems? It would be cool to play an RPG where instead of just being this brain-sucking parasite boring into any NPC they can pass a skill check against, you now also have to deal with NPCs who will gently caress you through the dialogue system. A game where NPCs will spy on you, blackmail you, snitch on you, play you against other powerful NPCs to your detriment and their advantage, lie, dissimulate, and engage in high-stakes rhetoric with you, and pit their numbers against yours in skill check rolls. Some of them will have much bigger numbers than yours.

It's not exactly what you describe, but, if you haven't played Disco Elysium, I think you'll find it gives you a fair bit of that kind of experience.

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

Barudak posted:

Not only is that guy hidden, he flat out doesn't appear until hours, if not dozens of hours, after you can divine his location.

Theres some real time sink ones like get a million baqua through trading, upgrade all weapons for all characters to max level, and beat everyone in a card game.

You know, people have complained about various issues with the Switch version, but you know what the Switch version has that makes it better than the others?

No achievements. It's a big reason I try to get games on Switch whenever possible.

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

A lot of games at this point seem to just put in "do a thing until it makes a big number" and "do this thing with every possible person" achievements just because it's a way to pad out the list.

That said, the achievements for Slay the Princess did help guide me toward a few of the trickier to discover paths, and more importantly, served as an indicator that I'd found everything of note.

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

Infinity Gaia posted:

You can win the first set pretty easily with just a couple random two star beigoma tbh, though it did require me to learn the timing to intentionally cause clashes. It was probably not worth it and I should've just waited to get overpowered beigoma though.

You can get the Pawn Demon and Bear Rider beigoma pretty early in the game, and they'll carry you all the way to Zeph with basically no skill required. From there, you'll need to clash once or twice to keep going, but it doesn't get too bad until Pyre, who you need to clash with very consistently if you want to win without the overpowered endgame trio (even with them, Galactic Flame's spin drain is nasty enough that you can still lose if you don't get at least one clash each round; Crash is shockingly easy by comparison, to the point where it feels like his beigoma is intentionally nerfed in your match with him). If I ever replay the game, I'd probably try to master the timing of clashes, so I can see what Reid says at the castle after the events of Athrabalt, which requires recruiting him well before you can go to Vilashnu. Probably won't be worth the effort it'll require, but I'm curious.

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

Einander posted:

Nah, I think Crash's top just has three-star stats, whatever the menu says. Outside of clashes it seems about equally bad in your hands, it's just very good at clashing to compensate. I don't know that I've seen any other top shove other tops out of the ring after a clash, but Crash's top does it very consistently.

Huh. I wonder if the magic stat has anything to do with it, because that's the one weakness of Crash's top, is that it has a flat zero for magic.

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

One thing I absolutely did not see coming in Eiyuden is Kurtz just straight-up murdering Trey, holy poo poo, dude. Like, I get it, he killed your loved ones first but there is a difference between striking an enemy down in battle and just stabbing an unarmed man to death with a kitchen knife after beating him in a cooking contest.

EDIT: By the way, does anyone know the actual favorite foods of the cast? B'baba is useless for about half the cast and this guide just straight-up loving lies when the author doesn't actually know the right answer (Galladur and Chandra are two examples I recall offhand where their favorite foods are just, not the things the guide claims they are).

EclecticTastes fucked around with this message at 23:53 on May 2, 2024

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

Einander posted:

I don't think there's 118 recipes in Eiyuden (excluding Kurtz and Nowa from the 120, since they can't be judges), so my assumption is that the characters B'baba's background is useless for are the ones without a cookable favorite recipe.

Some characters have the same favorite foods, actually. It's more that some recipes aren't anyone's favorite.

quote:

Feeding people their favorite foods is kind of a trap because a lot of the time you score a five and three zeros. Unless they fix the way scoring works it's not even worth worrying about.

Almost everyone likes fried eggs, omelets, and marinated seafood. If you feed people nothing but that you will usually score 30+ points and win. I don't know if it matters what slot you serve the food in, either. Feeding them omelets for dessert scores 3s and 4s reliably.

Edit: Based on how stuff scores I'm pretty convinced that whoever worked on the minigame just programmed in their own food preferences. Zeros across the board for ice cream but god drat do they all love eggs.

The trick is overlapping the recipe metadata. The one useful thing in the guide is that it shows that the cooking battles apparently do follow some similar rules to Suikoden II, in that each character has a preferred style, and that affects how they score food, so you just need to find the recipes hit the right keywords, and you won't score less than a 2, even for the people for whom it's not their favorite. Of course, sometimes you get a basically unpleasable panel, and that's where the coward's options like coconut water and eggs come in.

Also it used to be every dish was scored as an appetizer, but they patched it so you're properly penalized for putting a dish in the wrong course (favorites are always auto-fives, but it's usually not worth the loss on the other judges to use wrong courses, except as a hail Mary if your panel is especially mismatched).

EclecticTastes fucked around with this message at 00:44 on May 3, 2024

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

Hunter Noventa posted:

Reyna in EC is starting to piss me off. I'm still not sure who to bring to actually do enough damage, but the battle also keeps ending before the third round fully plays out now. I can break her Armor just fine, but it doesn't really help much. the only magic worth a drat is the DoT from the Darkness Rune. Yusuke can pull off good damage but only if I charge him up. I feel like I'm missing something useful here, other than grinding more levels, and I'm already at about 43. I know SP is supposed to carry between battles but that seems to be a bit random.

Reyna's thing is currently bugged. The battle ends instantly when deal about 1500 damage, and she's supposed to join you at that point, but a scripting error causes the fail state to always occur on turn three, even if the battle ended in your favor. This means you actually only have two turns to do it. As such, here are my tips for getting her without having to massively outlevel her (she's good enough to be worth it, at least):

-The actual dark magic that will win you the fight is Reaper's Lullaby. If you don't get the sleep proc, don't bother doing anything else and let the fight reset, but it shouldn't take too long. Make sure you use a slow character, like Gieran, so that your other characters don't wake her up. She can't Defend when she's asleep.

-The heaviest hitters possible at that point in the game without needing to pray for a specific start-of-battle SP distribution are Yusuke, Iugo, Lam, Maureus, and Nowa using Swinging Slash (the sixth slot will be the mage that's casting Reaper's Lullaby).

-Bring Douglas, his proc actually isn't strictly necessary, but it makes it a lot easier and more consistent to pull off.

-Turn 1, have Yusuke charge (he'll do half the damage you need all by himself), have Lam transform, have Maureus use his Muscle Magic (if he doesn't start with SP, a normal attack is equally good, as long as he acts before your sleeper, otherwise have him defend; you should still be fine if your weapons are at the current upgrade limit), have Iugo attack normally, and have Nowa either attack normally (if he starts with one SP), Chain Strike (if he starts with 2 SP), or Swinging Slash (if he starts with 3 SP). Turn 2, have Maureus and Lam attack normally, have your mage cast Sacrificial Brand, have Yusuke either attack normally or use Armor-Piercing Strike (if he's got 2+ SP), have Nowa use Swinging Slash, have Iugo use Slash with whatever SP he has. It is unlikely you'll actually need all of those hits.

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

Infinity Gaia posted:

Most of what you said is true and unarguable but I just wanna say that this statement makes it immediately obvious you played on Normal rather than Hard

It also shows he only used the faster characters or was significantly overleveling, because a bunch of characters, even good ones, get outsped by fairly average enemies, even on normal. Maureus, Gieran, Reyna, Garoo, Francesca, etc. And some enemies are fast enough to go before any but the fastest characters.

Eiyuden is a very charming minigame collection with a decent, but not great, JRPG wrapped around it. Good for anyone who wishes Konami still made Suikoden, but if you haven't already played those games, you may as well go do that before picking this one up. I give Eiyuden Chronicles: Hundred Heroes a 3 (insert fifth repetition of a "Mighty Dux"="Mighty Ducks" running gag) out of 5.

god i hope someone remembers x-play well enough for that reference to land

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

One huge problem with Eiyuden is the pacing of the war. In Suikoden II, you get handed Ls left and right for quite a while, sure, but about halfway through, you turn it around, and suddenly you're the ones going on the offensive. Eiyuden basically feels like that first half of Suikoden II right up until the end of the game. The turnaround point should come much earlier, because as it is, it ends up feeling kind of rushed and unsatisfying, like they had an entire second half planned for the game that they had to scrap.

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

Clarste posted:

You should get a refund on your faulty genius tactician.

That's the other thing! Melridge is alright, but he's certainly no Silverberg. Aldric keeps praising him and it's like, you outplayed him at basically every possible turn, to the point where he was straight-up defeated, no backup plans, no hidden gambits, just total defeat if not for the Shi'arcs managing a last-second rescue. Melridge, at best, was able to arrange for relatively safe retreats, which ain't exactly up to the standard established by Suikoden. Admittedly, I'm right before the stuff that leads to the big turnaround, working on getting the reward accessories for Eggfoot racing before finishing Castle Harganthia, but I get the impression that things will change less through brilliant tactics and more through various good guys among the villains changing sides.

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

The 7th Guest posted:

aggghh why did they botch the athabralt battle so much. the kenani betrayal would've been far more effective a story twist if it just happened in the battle itself rather than through a cutscene where the kenani king just gives his whole motivation immediately. the story seems more interested in the concept of pieces moving on the chessboard rather than the actual moving of the pieces. like reading a summary of a war on wikipedia rather than seeing it firsthand

It really feels like the game was intended to be a lot longer than it is. Like, I get the feeling that Athrabalt was originally planned as the halfway point, because, in terms of Suikoden story structure, that's where it would fit. That would have also provided more time for people to show their motivations organically rather than just expositing them right before they do the thing, after having appeared in all of one scene prior to that. It also feels like there was meant to be a lot more to Marisa's story, and that even Markus was probably meant to get a little more time for his character arc to happen rather than suddenly going from "join my zombie army" to "nobody should be forced to be undead" in the span of one dungeon.

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

babypolis posted:

i heard it in adam sesslers voice so mission accomplished

Thank you.

Also, holy poo poo, Eiyuden Chronicles goes hard in places it absolutely does not need to. If you thought the beigoma sidequest having a goddamn postgame was nuts, apparently if you collect several copies of a single card, it gets a rainbow background (the secret reward cards automatically come with it, since you can only get one copy of those). It's neat, but absolutely more effort than was required for poor man's Triple Triad.

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

Barudak posted:

The plays are insane because they are gated beyond a completely unhinted how to recruit npc, a line of more items with equally irritating requirements two of which are past the point of no return with missable characters, and themselves give unique rewards for S ranking.

You can buy Forest Musicians the first time you visit Yarnaan, actually (it may take a bit, and you may need to wait out the 30-minute timer if the Crown of Guile pops first). It's only the Rising script that requires you to be in the endgame.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

Hey, so apparently one of the major endgame sequences in Eiyuden is bugged so badly that the scripts just break, and there's not a drat thing you can do about it, especially if you make the mistake of saving at any point during that sequence. So that's about two hours of assorted bullshit around the castle just wiped out, since that's how far back my last autosave is, since it only ever loving autosaves when you leave the world map.