Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Paying2Lurk
Sep 15, 2023

I'd take a bullet
for a bud any day.
The Hylics games are good :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paying2Lurk
Sep 15, 2023

I'd take a bullet
for a bud any day.

No pain? Over in seconds? Seems like a good way to go.

Paying2Lurk
Sep 15, 2023

I'd take a bullet
for a bud any day.
Obviously, you'll need to play Alphadia Neo to get the full story.

Edit - Meant to add :unsmigghh: at the end there.

Paying2Lurk fucked around with this message at 13:18 on Mar 20, 2024

Paying2Lurk
Sep 15, 2023

I'd take a bullet
for a bud any day.
I was in the mood for some RPG junk food so I bought Crystal Ortha for $7.

It's a Kemco joint, but sometimes you want the Jack in the Box tacos of video games.

Paying2Lurk
Sep 15, 2023

I'd take a bullet
for a bud any day.

abraham linksys posted:

the thing is, jack in the box is hugely popular, whereas this game appears to have a single-digit number of steam reviews. that seems less like "jrpg junk food" and more like "jrpg prepackaged gas station sandwich"

:ok:

Paying2Lurk
Sep 15, 2023

I'd take a bullet
for a bud any day.

Professor Moriarty posted:

Not exactly the thread for it but what's the current gold standard for Musou games now? Haven't played one since Dynasty Warriors 4.

Warriors Orochi 3 Ultimate

If you liked Persona 5, P5 Strikers is a fun sequel.

Paying2Lurk
Sep 15, 2023

I'd take a bullet
for a bud any day.

GateOfD posted:

really liked Strikers, since it was Dynasty Warriors-ish, but not full DW.

Yeah it managed to feel like Persona with some DW flavor. Plus it's a cool hangout game with the gang.

Paying2Lurk
Sep 15, 2023

I'd take a bullet
for a bud any day.
Crystal Ortha update. About 2 hours in. It's not bad! Not great either, but hitting that JRPG junk food craving I was having.

• Encounter rate is high, like count to 5 and you'll be in another fight high, but there's Auto and 2X speed options so it's been fine.
  • Random encounters can kill you if you're under-leveled, but it doesn't take long to catch up in a new area. At least for now.
  • Your HP heals after every fight, no healing items either. Just Skills you can use in combat.
  • You collect Gem fragments that give you boosts like +3 Agility, etc. No need to equip / use them, passive for the party.
  • No money, which is neat. You craft new equipment with Ore.
  • All the chests and gems are marked on the mini-map.
  • Story is clunky, but interesting enough. I've played worse / more confusing from Kemco.

I thought there would be more to the gem fragment system, like needing to decide which ones to keep active or combining them, but nope. You just get the stats after finding them. Combat is done first-person / Dragonquest style. Not a ding against it, but I have more nostalgia for side-view fighting.

Oh, and the "Crytal Ortha" is the thing you're searching for in the game. Ortha apparently means "sea" in an old language so it's a huge sea of crystals. Crystals are the hot new power source, replacing steam engines, but they're linked to ancient dragons and they corrupt animals exposed to them so they may be bad, too. It's engaging enough.

Paying2Lurk
Sep 15, 2023

I'd take a bullet
for a bud any day.

Inspector Gesicht posted:

Did BR even have male characters before the spinoff. One look at the character sheet and it's either sapphic schoolgirls or giant interdimensional monsters.

Nope, just girls.

I'm glad I stuck with BR1 despite it's leery nature. I ended up really liking the story and characters. The anime and BR2 are much less creepy.

Paying2Lurk
Sep 15, 2023

I'd take a bullet
for a bud any day.
Resonance of Fate is hard, but only because I'm too stupid to figure out the battle system.

Paying2Lurk
Sep 15, 2023

I'd take a bullet
for a bud any day.

TheMightyBoops posted:

Which of the Kemco switch rpgs are the best ones?

Don't know if there can really be a "best," but Alphadia Genesis or Asdivine Hearts are fine. I'm a few hours into Crystal Ortha and enjoying it, but it doesn't look like it's on sale on Switch right now. I'm also waiting for Chrome Wolf to go on sale eventually.

Always wait for them to go under $10.

Paying2Lurk
Sep 15, 2023

I'd take a bullet
for a bud any day.
Seems fine. As long as you know what you're getting in to. They're barely above RPG Maker level pulp, cranked out mainly as mobile games. But they can be fun, moreso if you have even the slightest but of 16-bit JRPG nostalgia.

Paying2Lurk
Sep 15, 2023

I'd take a bullet
for a bud any day.
Yeah I got the Switch and PS5 demos. Don't think my poor old PC could handle it though. Going to play through them both tonight.

I'm also back to playing Crystal Ortha. Still pretty good, but for some reason selecting Continue on the main menu uses the most recent Auto Save, not your most recent manual save. Was wondering why I was watching the new town dialogues two or three times.

Paying2Lurk
Sep 15, 2023

I'd take a bullet
for a bud any day.
I would like a Dynasty Tactics 1 and 2 remaster. And also a new Dynasty Tactics game.

Just felt like posting that.

Paying2Lurk
Sep 15, 2023

I'd take a bullet
for a bud any day.

Snooze Cruise posted:

OK SaGa Emerald is going to the best game of the year but a lot of people are going to lie to you and say its bad. That it looks cheap. That the presentation isn't good. These people are liars and should not be trusted. Its drips with charm.

:yeah:

Can't afford to pick up Emerald this month, but I'll be playing more Scarlet, Frontier, and Romancing 3 in solidarity.

Paying2Lurk
Sep 15, 2023

I'd take a bullet
for a bud any day.
I think Root Letter would be a good intro VN. It's short, has a decent mystery, and is usually on sale for like $6.

There's a newer "Last Answer" version that adds videos, but I didn't like it as much as the original.

Paying2Lurk
Sep 15, 2023

I'd take a bullet
for a bud any day.
Remastered and Dewaggled Editions.

Paying2Lurk
Sep 15, 2023

I'd take a bullet
for a bud any day.

CullenDaGaDee posted:

Just remembering how a friend of mine was sincerely asked by his dad if Batman Arkham Asylum is a role playing game because you "play the role of Batman."

*attacks the can of worms with a machete*

The Arkham games are ARPGs!

*runs away*

Paying2Lurk
Sep 15, 2023

I'd take a bullet
for a bud any day.
Legend, Children, and Sword are also good.

Dawn was bad, and I didn't really understand Heroes at the time. Should give it another try at some point.

Paying2Lurk
Sep 15, 2023

I'd take a bullet
for a bud any day.

Annath posted:

I tried, and failed, to play the original FFA like 3 times and could never get into it. It's so old and barebones. It utterly fails to explain what your little flashing bar is (it dumps you immediately into a boss fight), the dialog is atrocious, either because of character limitations or a bad translation, and after making it to the first town I basically had no idea what I was supposed to do next. I wandered into the woods until I died, repeated that a few times, then moved on to something else.

Sounds like issues that could be solved with a look at the game manual.

Paying2Lurk
Sep 15, 2023

I'd take a bullet
for a bud any day.
I platinumed Scarlet Nexus and can't remember a scene where teenage girls talk about their boyfriends?

But it was pretty fun, filled with anime bullshit, and a little too long. A very fine 7/10 game. The bad poster won't like it, but maybe you will.

Paying2Lurk
Sep 15, 2023

I'd take a bullet
for a bud any day.
I would simply not give the bad poster who craves attention any attention.

Paying2Lurk
Sep 15, 2023

I'd take a bullet
for a bud any day.
Finally finished Crystal Ortha.

I'd put it at the higher end of the Kemco games I've played. Cute story, basic battle system with a couple neat twists, and the later bosses took me a few tries to beat. A couple more levels and some Skill and Equip changing were usually enough, but it was nice to be tested a little.

The final boss jumps up 5 levels in their second phase though, that was some BS. Had to reload and grind up about 10 levels to stand a chance, but with some +XP equipment that took like 30 minutes. I'll be prepared for it when I play through the PS5 version at some point later. All in all, not a bad way to spend 12 hours and $7.

Paying2Lurk
Sep 15, 2023

I'd take a bullet
for a bud any day.

GateOfD posted:

Is there actually 100 heroes in Eiyuden?

According to the trophy list there are actually 120.

:getin:

Paying2Lurk
Sep 15, 2023

I'd take a bullet
for a bud any day.

Rinkles posted:

thought i'd pick up my first compile heart game because the premise for Death end re;Quest sounded cool, but i see a lot of negative impressions.

Anyone want to convince me otherwise?

No, it's boring, repetitive, and creepy. Even moreso than their usual fare. And I actually like the main Neptunia games.

Paying2Lurk
Sep 15, 2023

I'd take a bullet
for a bud any day.
I liked PS demo guy's interactions in the witch world. He seems like a nice doofus. Plus he's voiced by the guy who did Partitio so that's cool.

Paying2Lurk
Sep 15, 2023

I'd take a bullet
for a bud any day.
Why is there a graveyard in a card game? Do the cards die? :ohdear:

Paying2Lurk
Sep 15, 2023

I'd take a bullet
for a bud any day.

Hibbloes posted:

i know theres a demo but i have trouble getting into a rpg demos myself. just looking for some boots on the ground early opinions, eiyuden being a bit unsteady has held me off from that one and i have a rpg shaped hole in my april heart.

Just try the demo.

Paying2Lurk
Sep 15, 2023

I'd take a bullet
for a bud any day.
All the "Tales of..." talk earlier made me realize I have Tales of Hearts R for Vita and have literally never played it. I should fix that.

Paying2Lurk
Sep 15, 2023

I'd take a bullet
for a bud any day.
Foamstars is fine. It's also getting a Hololive collab next month somehow.

A world with less Foamstars and Harvestellas is a worse world. A truly Foamed Up world.

Paying2Lurk
Sep 15, 2023

I'd take a bullet
for a bud any day.
I don't know if Babylon's Fall's gameplay style of "use both bumpers and triggers constantly while also pressing face buttons and moving both sticks" would have caught on regardless.

But it would have been cool to see it happen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paying2Lurk
Sep 15, 2023

I'd take a bullet
for a bud any day.
Harvestella is very much a "more than the sum of its parts" kinda deal. Each piece of it - farming, action, story - is just average, but they all combine to make something unique and cool.

If you vibe with it, of course. Can't argue against anyone who didn't feel it, but man, I totally did.