Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Rogue Galaxy was fine, but L5's best RPG is still the original Dark Cloud, warts and all. DC2 had some really cool ideas but it also has a really boring Saturday morning cartoon story

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Nihilarian posted:

I can't think of a single thing that Dark Cloud 1 does better than Dark Cloud 2. The town-building stuff is so different that I can chalk that much up to different tastes, I guess.
Its story is so bare bones and simple that it largely stays out of the way, and I preferred getting the rewards for town building in the town itself rather than travelling to The Future in DC2 which is a rigid static layout that only expands out rather than shifts around to match the past town layout. Also I'll always prefer 60fps to 30fps. DC2 also overloads you on systems to the point where you can golf inside of dungeon floors

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Finished Suikoden 2, the story is not really all that much better than the first game but it was still a fun game with good sequel amenities. I don't really get why they made it look like Jowy was taking orders from some ninja when it turned out Jowy did everything himself because he was a Dude With Ambitions, also maybe leknaat should have showed up in one of his dreams and been like "hey what the gently caress, stop that" instead of letting Jowy join up with a dude who's like, hey whatsup wanna help me massacre an entire town to feed a blood ritual, pretty cool right. But thats all water under the bridge, Jowy, lets go journey and be pals and leave this country in a hosed up mess that we created wheee

I can get the third game for $20 from local nerd store but I may just wait it out to see if I can get it cheaper from eBay because the 3D suikodens don't really look anything like the 2D ones in terms of visuals or fast paced battles.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Went to local nerd store and got a few old rpgs for cheap. $21 altogether for Magical Starsign (DS), Nostalgia (DS), Legaia 2 (PS2) and Spectrobes Origins (Wii). None of these are like A-tier or anything but I'll enjoy em. Also they had rhythm heaven for 5 bucks so I grabbed that too, which is not an RPG, but maybe some day.....

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Main problem with Grandia I i've noticed in the brief time I've played it is that the load times are abysmal. Even going to the menu has load times. This should not be a thing in any RPG ever

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Gonna get these games in PSN sale

Legend of Mana
Hexyz Force
Riviera the Promised Land
Persona 2: EP

Then probably not play them for 3 months wooya

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Cake Attack posted:

yeah well in my view your better off not reading your posts for forever

hexyz force is like the most mediocre of their games though, get yggdra union + Knights in the knightmare
Sorry but I can't resist a game with a turbo button for battles

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

if anime was a strike against JRPGs the only game we could talk about here is Kings Field

which I would still be ok with

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Legend of Mana mostly feels like a side-scrolling brawler but with quests. Some of the giant bosses even kinda feel like the wrestler boss from the Simpsons Arcade Game where you can out-manuever them and juggle them because they're so slow. It is relatively non linear in that you keep getting access to more and new locations no matter which quests you take, so you can kind of just play however you feel like, unless you really want to make a beeline for the end of the game, in which case you have to one of three different quest paths.

I also tried a little of Magical Starsign and the text speed is so loving slow that it is draining my will to play it. I played some Nostalgia and despite it having the thinnest and most vanilla characterization, I am playing that more, because the combat is quick, you start out with an airship, and it seems more tailored to small sessions. And the text speed is not appearing one letter every 30 seconds like Starsign.

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 10:00 on Jan 24, 2015

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

The first two Suikoden games are ridiculously easy, and the best thing is, the game levels up any underleveled character to the rest of the party within 2-3 fights, so you can mix and match however you like. Some of the Unite attacks are ridiculously overpowered and none of the bosses have a particularly large amount of HP.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Chrono Cross is cool actually.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Forest Thief Pud posted:

The original Grandia is a pretty good game, it's just a 90's JRPG so it's a bit dated, and the game is a bit grindy thanks to all the weapon/magic levels.
I can't get into it because the menu takes 5 seconds to load every time and the battles take a long time to load and changing maps takes a long time to load and loading loading loading

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

It's also anti-grinding. Once your character is at the right level, EXP gained drops off a cliff, and any under leveled character gets a TON of EXP. it's a pretty easy game that is even more easily broken if you sharpen your party's weapons further than the game expects by going to towns before you're supposed to.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Amppelix posted:

This has probably been brought up about ten times before, but I just bought Valkyria Chronicles on sale. And, whoa, is the tone all over the place. You can't simultaneously try to go for the horrors of war angle while also having lighthearted banter between the characters, it don't work!
Technically this is also a flaw of the first two Suikodens but we love em anyway

"luca just massacred an entire city as part of a ritual!! LETS POSE AS COLLEGE STUDENTS!" *flik tugs collar, hanna barbera sounds*

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

I'm ok with random battles but I like what older SMT games did with the battle mood ring, where once it got to red, you enter battle, so you knew when a battle was coming up if you needed to heal or w/e (also it made me feel cocky, like "i'm low on HP but i bet i can get to that save point before the next fight")

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

The White Dragon posted:

My favorite is the battle mood ring from older Etrian Odyssey games, which would go from blue to red in one step and then you get ambushed and murdered.
That happens in SMT too and I guess developers never thought to code in a proper floor to their encounter rate, so it can be either 50 steps or 1 step

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Tried Star Ocean 3 and a Tales of game, but Ys Oath/Origin has ruined me. Ys combat makes all other ARPG combat feel like total poo poo. Also Arkham games make ARPG combat feel like poo poo too I guess.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Endorph posted:

Which tales game?
The Symphonia remake, but I also played the Vesperia demo and was unimpressed as well

Maybe you unlock longer combos as the game goes on but I'm tired of the action-game staple of 3-hit combos then a delay then 3-hit combos then a delay, even if you have options like spells and items to use and poo poo. I had to put up with it with Devil Summoner just because the setting/atmosphere was neat and I wanted to play through it, but I just can't get into any other game from the ground floor that is that underwhelming.

In Ys I think the average max combo is 9-10 hits and you can swing as fast as you can press the button so it is extremely visceral. And in the Arkham games you can pretty much chain to infinity.

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 22:01 on Feb 9, 2015

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Finished hexyz force, it was pretty solid in gameplay and also extremely forgettable in story. Having a turbo button for both battles, cutscenes, and any non-interactive moment in the game was amazing and it is criminal that other games don't do this (other than Last Remnant).

The ability to use the force "currency" of the game to level up your weapons allows for really fun cheesing if that's what you want out of a game (and I do).

The game has two campaigns but one might have been enough for me, maybe a long time from now I'll come back and play the other.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

I tried getting into Tales of Symphonia and quickly got bored of the hit-hit-hit-delay-hit-hit-hit-delay combat (I really can't stand 3 hit max combos in games after playing Arkham/Ys). Does Xillia improve on this or will I just be sour on it for the same reasons?

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

All I know about Shadow Hearts is that its expensive as gently caress to buy now so I will probably never play it

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

I didnt think we could find a even less interesting thing about pier solar to care about but I was proven wrong

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

I now have Suikoden III and Y's Ark for PS2... I don't have too many more PS2 games to chase down at this point.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

crawling in my skin these wounds they will not heal

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Apdfz4HNrY

everything you say to me takes me one step closer to the edge

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

The demo of Bravely Default was like 6 hours long so I just beat that and considered that a good enough experience

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

The next generation of SMT anime babes is here

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gKaHMqkjGS8

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

xov posted:

Hey look another Square Enix teaser site.

http://www.jp.square-enix.com/secret/

Star Ocean 5?!?!?! :cry:

I really should know better than to get hyped, based on the past... but I will anyway.
I thought Tri-Ace was bought by like a mobile company

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Endorph posted:

believe it or not the mobile games industry does not exist to ruin video games
As a fan of Fantasy Life and Professor Layton I disagree

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Grandia 1's load times are pretty abysmal, just bear that in mind

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Does the PSN version fix that at all?
Nope. Even the menu takes a couple of seconds to load.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Almost thought this sale had nothing for me but then I saw Resonance of Fate for 10 bucks. :getin:

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Got Catherine and Resonance of Fate in the golden week sale, I think that just about does it for PS3 for me, with the exception of picking up ps2 games at local nerd shop

Not done with RPGs on PSN though, still have PS1/PSP games to get whenever those go on sale which is maybe twice a year. One of these days Ys Seven will get a sale. Someday.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

I beat Trails in the Sky FC. I was really disappointed when all of the heroes became available at endgame but I could still only have a party of 4. Maybe it's because the PC game's UI looked like it could fit at least one more member. I had forgotten about the 4:3->16:9 conversion :(

Also I dunno how I beat it in 29 hours, feels like that game took forever to clear.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

I can't believe I've gotten a third of the way through wild arms, especially when the combat has like almost nothing to it

fire gun meteor dive armor down fire gun meteor dive heal fire gun meteor dive heal exp gella run run run run slam into wall

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

At least I have some PS2 jerpigs to go to when this is done. Ys Ark and Suik 3 and Legaia 2. I'll take anything with at least one modern amenity. Wild ARMs doesn't even heal you at save points. And no one's sold MP-replenishing items in the entire first third of the game.

Which means random encounters you're best off just mashing basic attack over and over or else you'll be hosed when you reach a boss.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

TARDISman posted:

Unfortunately it also introduced the bullshit mechanic that is searching for towns and dungeons on the world map.
You have to do it in Wild Arms 1 too actually, there's one dungeon that's not only hidden in the desert but it warps around every couple of seconds so you have to literally play 'hotter/colder' until you find it

There was another dungeon in the desert too that was hidden but it didn't warp around at least

Also the minimap is literally an item you have to use from the item menu, making it worthless

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

TARDISman posted:

I don't remember that, which dungeons were they?

Also, yeah, minimap being an item was total bullshit.
Pleasing Gardens is the one that warps around. Trust me there's a lot about Wild Arms that is forgettable, I'm not surprised you wouldn't remember. It hasn't aged super great.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Again, I'm playing Wild Arms, whose combat engine dips to 7-8 FPS at times, a PS2 RPG is not gonna have anything on that

e: not just framerate issue but the game speed slows down as well lol

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Phantasium posted:

Battles will go faster if you change the camera angle in the options. You can set it to have a traditional overhead view and it'll not pause for critical hits and also cycle through turns faster since it's not doing dynamic pans over the super-aged 3D models.
That's what I did but it still has trouble, like any time Harpy-types are in a battle. I wish there was a way to overclock the PS1 but I'm playing this on Vita.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Final Fantasy 12
Trails in the Sky
Last Remnant
Dark Cloud
Bowser's Inside Story
Persona 3
Suikoden II
stomping on a xenosaga disc (any)