Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Thoughts on Battle Chasers: Nightwar? I like the style and that one of the characters sorta looks like Potemkin. Mostly I'm looking for cool combat and maybe some witty/funny/charming dialogue along the way.

Also I remember Disgaea 5 had an ESRB thing that implied it was getting a Steam release, did anything come from that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
e: wrong thread

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
wasn't really sure what thread to post this, but has anyone here messed around with the Super Mario RPG Armageddon romhack? i've wanted to revisit the game but thought it might be fun to spice things up a bit and since the randomizer still seems pretty buggy something like this might be fun.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Looper posted:

I'm extremely wary of rom hacks that advertise their difficulty but I'd be super interested to hear what you think. I've been playing the randomizer myself and having a fun time

I'll post more once I've played further but I wanted to let you know there's a Content Mode patch and a Normal Mode patch, with the former having all the features but being a much smaller bump in difficulty. So still harder but I mean, SMRPG was an incredibly simple game in the first place so even dying once would be a huge change.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
disgaea 4 had a legit good plot and also has the least time spent with Weird Children, so play that one.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Disgaea 1 doesn't really hold up mechanically, and 2 is reaaaaally pushing it, but D2 (not to be confused with Disgaea 2, because of course) and 3, 4, and 5 are all fun mechanically. D2 and 3 have pretty bad stories though.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Elephant Parade posted:

I played Disgaea 1 a few years ago and had a lot of fun. It might feel a bit basic if you've played later Disgaea games--I wouldn't know--but as an introduction to the series, it remains novel, engaging, and playable even today

That's good to know, I'm definitely coming at it as someone who played it back in high school and then tried to go back 15 years later.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
i'm not 100% sure how i'd rate Fell Seal but i'm leaning "buhhhhhhhhhHHHHHH" since my motivation to keep playing completely cratered once i finished unlocking all the new jobs and seeing their skill trees. not because they were boring but because the story was just so bad that i didnt care. also they made the only blue mage in the game a premade character so you couldnt live the SRPG dream of "only use units you name after your friends" if you wanted to have a cool beetle blue mage guy on your team

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Digimon Survive is finally out, and 3 of the 5 reviews say it freezes after the intro (and the other two just say "hooray it's out finally!")

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
as someone who identifies as ace it's always hard for me to know where i stand on seeing myself represented. like obviously tons of games never mention sex, or games which do always have characters who aren't involved in those conversations so you can headcanon them, but that's not really the same thing right? but also because there's so many of those characters that it seems like... idk, selfish to want it explicitly canonized considering how much less other lgbt folk have on that front a lot of the time. like is Hildibrand in ffxiv ace representation because no one in that storyline knows what sex is? what about Robb in Chained Echoes?

i'm mostly talking to myself and don't really want answers but even bringing it up feels very indulgent. i think what inspired me to mention it at all was endorph talking about queer joy, for me a lot of my identity as an ace person isn't just not caring about sex - it's the uncomfortable feeling you get sometimes when everyone around you is talking about loving when you just want to watch the drat movie, or the silly ignorance of not even realizing when someone made an innuendo, or the joy of trolling and saying "the warrior of light is ace" and pissing the catfuckers off, or whatever. and i definitely don't see that very often if at all.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

SyntheticPolygon posted:

he's kinda boring.

now this is my representation

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
I don't think I'd call Chained Echoes "edgelord", it's just dark. Characters aren't like tortured on screen for no reason, there aren't kids saying slurs at you, etc., it's just a story where very bad stuff happens.

Also it owns, great game that feels like the perfect length. The gem system is completely stupid though, hopefully you don't have rpg-addled brain and can simply ignore it instead of having the spectre of Improper Optimization gnawing at your brain if you don't engage with it.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
I think it's weird to be like "the people most dedicated to the game are also the ones who are excited to do bad content". If I'm playing an rpg it's at least in large part because of the story so now if the story is gated behind tedious stuff that's bad to me.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
how do people feel about Dungeon Encounters? i've had it on my wishlist for years at this point and never pulled the trigger. i think the aesthetic is super cool but i'm not sure i'm in the "can enjoy an rpg on a purely mechanical level" state of mind these days.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
"casual"

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
It's mostly good, definitely a hodge podge of fantasy and anime ideas but told competently.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
on the topic of chained echoes, the creator says a major patch is coming in May with a NG+ and revamped crystal system. i think basically everyone i've spoken to agrees the crystal system is like the one mechanical blemish on the game so hopefully it makes it something more fun to engage with

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

NikkolasKing posted:

I found like a big list of these kinds of games on Reddit:

CSH is the one I've heard most about for years now so I figure I should finally get on that, but Battle Chasers also looked fun/interesting to me.

Glad to hear CSH is good.

Bug Fables owns, big recommend from me.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
that new font looks like crap too, sad

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Gaius Marius posted:

I think the accessibility discourse has been played out. Not really sure what's replaced it though.

I see it pop up pretty regularly but I'd say a more common one now is portrayal = authorial agreement

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Oxxidation posted:

finally starting fuga in earnest after drifting away from it after the tutorial two years ago and the passion here is really evident

there’s a big contingent of cyberconnect that’s super stoked about French warcrime furries

My only real beef with Fuga is that the boss battles felt like they took too long, probably because they want more opportunities for poo poo to go Poorly and entice you to pull the trigger on the baby laser. Which makes sense but it still felt tedious.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Yeah chained echoes pwns

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
i got it as a kid because i loved legend of legaia and hadn't played enough rpgs to realize that having "legend of" in your name didn't mean you were part of the same series

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Endorph posted:

i liked when he made a video about being a youtuber that was like 'being a youtuber isnt all glamour... its terrifying, but... basically, the algorithm is your boss... and someday, on a whim, the algorithm might just get rid of you, and youll never know why... your pay might not go up, even if you put in more work...'

brother youre describing a job

To be fair here I think the point is that lots of people don't think it is a job or that it's uniquely blessed

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
i think my beef with rtwp is that my brain hates anytime devs encourage/expect me to moderate my own difficulty in games beyond selecting an initial difficulty. rtwp is always going to be easier the more Pause you use for obvious reasons so i always feel like i'm playing worse when i don't pause constantly. i know a lot of people like that sort of freedom to dictate their own pace or difficulty but for me it just makes me second guess my own playstyle choices or think the game is balanced poorly/weirdly.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Feels Villeneuve posted:

its kind of the same reason i absolutely can not play RTSes, my brain just goes into the "i should be doing something right now" mode and can't just set up autoattacks

yeah that's basically how i feel. i'm the freak who keeps actually clicking in idle games after 20 minutes when your factories are producing 1,000,000 resources/second

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
competitive pokemon singles ftw

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
The best old pokedex stuff was references to real world events or places, like how Gastly can kill an Indian elephant in seconds

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Jay Rust posted:

Just checked... that's Raichu. the edison of pokemon

It's both, check Gastly in Fire Red

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Do NOT step to me about inconsequential pokemon minutiae

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
For whoever asked, Chained Echoes pwns

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Inspector Gesicht posted:

So, what was the gold standard for 2D sprites on 3D environments before Octopath?

Paper Mario

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Vandar posted:

Just got to the crystal tutorial in Chained Echoes.

Y’all were right. I can already tell this is a lot.

Fortunately it's extremely easy to engage in only the most basic level possible, but yeah it's the RPG fail trifecta of overly complicated, easily broken, and completely ignorable.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
people who love the time loop stuff and puzzling stuff out between loops should check out the japanese board game Tragedy Looper, it's very good and also insanely niche

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
as a Teen i disliked it specifically because it wasn't silly, not because it was too silly. i wanted a robot cat riding a moogle party member, not a bunch of Teens with Sword's.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
was ffta2 the last game where you could have moogles in your party?

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
I'm asexual and the only Xeno game I hated was Saga. :evilbuddy:

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
I keep forgetting that people didn't like the exp system in XBC3 because I just played with a hack that patched in level select from the start and constantly lowered my level whenever I felt too strong

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
I was never one of Those Posters and I grew up loving anime and anime inspired games, but I'd be lying if I said I didn't feel weird guilt playing Disgaea when my parents saw those character designs that I didn't feel with any non-anime game I was playing as a teen

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
i have a very high tolerance for Thinkpieces and Video Essays about video games but it feels increasingly tedious how much of that space seems monopolized by nintendo babies