Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Barudak posted:

You all have no idea how close you all were to Ubisoft trying to make their own Vtuber.

Lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Countblanc posted:

as someone who identifies as ace it's always hard for me to know where i stand on seeing myself represented. like obviously tons of games never mention sex, or games which do always have characters who aren't involved in those conversations so you can headcanon them, but that's not really the same thing right? but also because there's so many of those characters that it seems like... idk, selfish to want it explicitly canonized considering how much less other lgbt folk have on that front a lot of the time. like is Hildibrand in ffxiv ace representation because no one in that storyline knows what sex is? what about Robb in Chained Echoes?

i'm mostly talking to myself and don't really want answers but even bringing it up feels very indulgent. i think what inspired me to mention it at all was endorph talking about queer joy, for me a lot of my identity as an ace person isn't just not caring about sex - it's the uncomfortable feeling you get sometimes when everyone around you is talking about loving when you just want to watch the drat movie, or the silly ignorance of not even realizing when someone made an innuendo, or the joy of trolling and saying "the warrior of light is ace" and pissing the catfuckers off, or whatever. and i definitely don't see that very often if at all.

Yeah its tough. Whenever I see people talk about Ace rep it either feels kinda "after-school special" to me or its like "this sociopath (or dumbass) is clearly asexual" and while i love a sociopath it feels sorta like there's only 3 types of characters people point to as ace and that's pretty lame.

Best ace rep i've seen is from some random manga I like where in a 10 pg bonus chapter the main character is drinking with some old friends and one of them talks about being ace, and her friends joke about it but mostly are happy she's figuring herself out. And yeah i've been there, but also its just a fairly short couple of pages.

Left 4 Bread
Oct 4, 2021

i sleep

The Colonel posted:

they're cool though they definitely require you to be able to handle some old fromsoft jank or otherwise figure out how to set them up for ps3/360 emulation. the first three games + expansions are fun once you realize they're honestly way more fast paced and arcadey than they look and you can remap the camera controls to the face buttons to make moving and aiming easier, and bunnyhopping is like the default tactic for a two-legged ac. haven't played nexus but it's the first generation that supports analog control and seems to have kind of a mixed reception, ac4 is the latest that anyone seems to like and plays very different from the older ones, focusing a lot more on making fast-paced movement tech the default. have never heard good things about ac5

Oh I can handle old Fromsoft jank- I'll put the first 3 on the ever growing list of stuff to check out and keep the others in mind for later. It's also reminded me Evergrace is still on the list.

Currently again wishing there was a US version of Kengo 2. Somehow it got a PAL release. I'm still in the phase of being resistant to modding my PS2 so I can actually play it.

Endorph posted:

the only official vtuber we need is the vtuber of mr. heart from hokuto no ken

But what about one for G.G. from Maglam Lord

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i like the weird early arc in bloom into you where everyone thinks a guy is into the main character and when she finally confronts him about it to tell him she's not interested he's dramatically like "oh, i'm afraid there must have been some misunderstanding. i am asexual." and then he just hangs out with his bro for the rest of the manga

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I respect him but he's kinda boring.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Romancing in bioware games feels bad, but none worse than Mass Effect 1 or the secretary romance in ME2. Like, I do not need to roleplay HR violations into crimes.

The worst loving thing for me personally was I was super happy to have the Normandy as my photo in ME2 of "who was your love interest in ME1" and then they made the ship fuckable and arbhhggghhhh

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

SyntheticPolygon posted:

I respect him but he's kinda boring.

yeah it's mostly just a bizarre arc and an incredibly funny way to end it but otherwise it feels like the writer didn't know what to do with him

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
does anyone care about any of the romances which aren't the aliens. like it's a sci fi game, when you think of Kirk you think of him boning a green skin lady, not Space Racist or the world's most boring psychic

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Barudak posted:

Romancing in bioware games feels bad, but none worse than Mass Effect 1 or the secretary romance in ME2. Like, I do not need to roleplay HR violations into crimes.

The worst loving thing for me personally was I was super happy to have the Normandy as my photo in ME2 of "who was your love interest in ME1" and then they made the ship fuckable and arbhhggghhhh

ed-i is the most obvious example that weird sexual writing absolutely has no national or cultural boundaries and is present in rpgs all across the world

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

SyntheticPolygon posted:

he's kinda boring.

now this is my representation

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Feels Villeneuve posted:

does anyone care about any of the romances which aren't the aliens. like it's a sci fi game, when you think of Kirk you think of him boning a green skin lady, not Space Racist or the world's most boring psychic

well it doesnt help that every human romance is with the most boring person in the world + like half of them end with them cheating on you or something

Barudak
May 7, 2007

The Colonel posted:

ed-i is the most obvious example that weird sexual writing absolutely has no national or cultural boundaries and is present in rpgs all across the world

It was definitely beyond what I can ignore regarding horny intruding into a game and one of the driving reasons why I barely posted about ME3, never replayed it, and sure as hell didnt get the refurbish trilogy.

We all got our "no this is too much for me" unless our name is Lesley J. Pervert.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

The Colonel posted:

yeah it's mostly just a bizarre arc and an incredibly funny way to end it but otherwise it feels like the writer didn't know what to do with him

He shows up a couple other times so that other characters can talk romance around him and he can be like "Ok, but i'm ace?" and I appreciate that.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...
I was kind of wondering if the 'JPRG used as pejorative' and 'old offensive X-Play clips' discussion would come up here.

I'm reminded an old Guru Larry video on 'Top 10 Wacky Japanese Games', and it starts out, "When it comes to wacky foreign video games, there's one country that's clearly head-and-shoulders above the rest: The French."

You might think that's a joke, but it's not. (Well, okay, it is a joke, but it's true.)

More on topic:

https://twitter.com/keke_094/status/1632162868279005184

This clip (which is also terrible) made me curious about this game being covered: PopoloCrois. I did a quick search, and it looks like it's based off a manga/anime. I'm curious if anyone in the thread has played it, because it piqued my interest, if only because it was originally a PS1 game.

Max Wilco fucked around with this message at 00:46 on Mar 6, 2023

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem
Getsuya used to be the biggest Propolocrois Proponent but I don't think they've posted in a long time

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I played the PSP one when it came out but barely remember anything other than it existing

Did it have farming or was that another one with a Harvest Moon crossover or something.

Left 4 Bread
Oct 4, 2021

i sleep
In regards to ace RPG talk, Hinako from Blue Reflection definitely gives some ace vibes in both games, at least to me. Maybe it's just because she's so moody/chill depending on which game you're playing, but she's just generally not interested in any romance. Even when she's asked for relationship advice she can't really say much.

Probably just reading into it too hard/ didn't see some events, but the game never says anything outright about it that I can remember.

Sakurazuka posted:

I played the PSP one when it came out but barely remember anything other than it existing

Did it have farming or was that another one with a Harvest Moon crossover or something.

There was a Story of Seasons crossover, yeah. I only really know about that and Popolocrois thanks to that whole IP split. Before that there were quite a few Playstation games apparently.

EightFlyingCars
Jun 30, 2008

The Colonel posted:

well it doesnt help that every human romance is with the most boring person in the world + like half of them end with them cheating on you or something

ppl be like "gently caress the police" but they're talking about boning garrus

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010

Endorph posted:

tell us if you find anything gay (positive) in octopath 2

i beat OT2 earlier this week and there's a few subtextual lesbian relationships in it but nothing else as far as i can see, unless you want to read into some of the male PC relationships a bit. I think there's one or two specifically called out gay relationships inside of some of the "get the NPC's background" actions you can do but none of those have real screentime. on the other hand, Castii is gay as hell.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Endorph posted:

i saw someone like 'forspoken being mocked when similar games, like stranger of paradise, are embraced by these same men...' and no stranger of paradise was good.

honestly stranger of paradise is a really recent example of the weird racism towards japanese games because people would post completely normal conversations from it and go 'JAPANESE WRITING IS TRULY INCOMPRHENSIBLE...'

SoP was my GOTY 2023. That game was better than it had any right to be and the increasing absurdity of the first 80% or so of the game still did not prepare me for just how wild the ride got at the end.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Impermanent posted:

i beat OT2 earlier this week and there's a few subtextual lesbian relationships in it but nothing else as far as i can see, unless you want to read into some of the male PC relationships a bit. I think there's one or two specifically called out gay relationships inside of some of the "get the NPC's background" actions you can do but none of those have real screentime. on the other hand, Castii is gay as hell.

I am pretty sure there is zero subtext between the secretly evil cleric lady and the traveling show woman. They just gay. Sadly just also evil.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010

ImpAtom posted:

I am pretty sure there is zero subtext between the secretly evil cleric lady and the traveling show woman. They just gay. Sadly just also evil.

Oh yeah you're right I forgot about them. Is there some stereotype about evil crime lesbians because I feel like that came up twice in this game

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
I was at work for a good chunk of this conversation so I'd just like to add that I feel quite similar to a lot of people with regard to the same broad general idea, but applied specifically to autism representation in games

Like, sometimes it's nice to see a character who's just autistic without it being a big deal but it does say something that my favorite autistic representation is Donatello from Rise of the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, who can just... straight up be an unhinged mad scientist at times

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

fridge corn posted:

Still.playing octopath 2 and still loving every second of it

Everytime i play octo1 i get like an hour into it and I lose interest extremely fast.

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.
I am digging Star Ocean First Departure R. Great use of a 500 dollar console.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

mycot posted:

Getsuya used to be the biggest Propolocrois Proponent but I don't think they've posted in a long time

Did a thread search and found this:

Wendell posted:

I played the Popolocrois PSP game. Utter poo poo.

Getsuya posted:

It is. Sadly none of the Popolocroises available in English can hold a candle to the first two on PS1, which have been declared untranslatable.

Getsuya posted:

All this talk about great PS era RPGs has made me reconsider starting up my LP of PoPoLoCrois again. I really wish someone had managed to hack that game so a proper translation could be done, that whole series deserves one, but unfortunately the folks who tried back in the day gave up and said it would be super difficult to extract the script and reinsert it after translation. But I think it's a series that people need to see, since it's commonly listed by Japanese gamers as one of the best nostalgic game series from the PS era.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Everytime i play octo1 i get like an hour into it and I lose interest extremely fast.

Wrong game. We are talking about octopath 2.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Max Wilco posted:

Did a thread search and found this:

https://www.romhacking.net/translations/6652/

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Impermanent posted:

Wrong game. We are talking about octopath 2.

Yeah...it's the sequel to that game... :confused:

anyways, I started Troubleshooter. seems like anime xcom with a Not As Great UI, and an awkward translation. I could see myself dumping hours into this

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Yeah...it's the sequel to that game... :confused:

anyways, I started Troubleshooter. seems like anime xcom with a Not As Great UI, and an awkward translation. I could see myself dumping hours into this

What I mean by that is that octo 1 is a lot worse compared to octo 2. I didn't get halfway thru octo 1 but poured 80 hours into octo 2 in a week. There's so many small but important changes that really makes octo 2 a lot better. And the plots do not overlap so just skip 1 imo

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
hell yeah, troubleshooter post, woohoo, where is the troubleshooter gang tag, woahhhh yeahhhh, real rockstars play troubleshooter

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
Fear the crabs.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

My simul playthrough of ME/DA with my gf (her first time through ME, mine first through DA) has gone from trying to evenly divide our way through them to binging ME3 and putting off DAI til later. ME3 has its issues but it's not a bad game at all.

Though we're gonna meet the lamest character in the trilogy soon so that's gonna be fun

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
kaiden is from me1 though

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Kaidan doesn't inspire any emotions, not even contempt

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

SirSamVimes posted:

Kaidan doesn't inspire any emotions, not even contempt

Now that's not true, you must have been at least relieved when he died.:v:

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Snooze Cruise posted:

hell yeah, troubleshooter post, woohoo, where is the troubleshooter gang tag, woahhhh yeahhhh, real rockstars play troubleshooter

may your spoon overflow, sister

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
the combat in me3 is okay but i didnt enjoy any other aspect of it at all

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I guess memory had me forget that in Chrono Cross you can confirm to Alternate Leena that Serge is Serge and she immediately wants deets on all in the moves alternate her has been making on Serge.

Lady, please, my girlfriend who is also you is awful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

The Colonel posted:

the combat in me3 is okay but i didnt enjoy any other aspect of it at all

even the combat starts to drag once you figure out a good standard tactic, like incinerate/overload + executioner headshots dealt with 90% of the enemies in the game for me

i played it for the first time well after release, though, and i often wonder if the fact that i felt so ambivalent about the whole experience was because i already knew what a flat note the whole thing ends on