Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100

remeez posted:

I'm about to start DQ8 is there anything I should know going in?

Cor Blimey!

That's all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100

Kild posted:

Has anyone played Conception 2? How is it?

There's a demo out, so you can try it yourself, but I'll just add that it made me roll my eyes enough to make myself dizzy.

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100
The only DLC party member who's worth it is Wilbell, and that's because her support attack is throwing her hat like Oddjob.

Also make sure you download the free DLCs, the maps are a nice addition and the small music pack has a pretty neat remix of the battle theme.

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100

fronz posted:

That's about the halfway point. If you got bored there I don't think it'll be very fun for you. The game gets better in almost every regard from that point on (depending on which group you pick): more interesting sidequests, more characters, plot ratchets up, but all in ways that wouldn't change your opinion from "uninterested" to "interested", I think

I love the conclusion Jack comes to if you side with humans. "Girls are weird. I'm going back to sleep."

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100

Mr. Maltose posted:

SoM's real biggest flaw is that Secret of Evermore is ten thousand times better.

Even if that weren't totally true from a gameplay perspective, the sole fact that your dog turns into a robot toaster with hoverjets makes it better than Secret of Mana.

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100

The sprite. Their official names are Randi, Primm and Popoi.

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100
You get seven party members total, not counting DLC. Sadly, Wilbell is one of those DLC characters, and she's the only one who's worth it because she's Wilbell and she throws her hat like Oddjob.

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100

GloomMouse posted:

Does the Wilbel DLC just allow you to add her to the party, or are there exclusive events and dialogue as well?

Just lets you add her to the party. You don't miss out on any events with her if you don't get the DLC.

Oddjob hat, though. Way worth it.

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100

Relin posted:

So am I correct in saying that KOTOR2 with TSLRCM mod (and the planet mod) doesn't support widescreen?

Not by default, no.

Go here: http://pcgamingwiki.com/wiki/Star_Wars:_Knights_of_the_Old_Republic_II_%E2%80%93_The_Sith_Lords#Widescreen_resolution

Even with these fixes, HUD elements will still be stretched.

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100
I always go for the guilty verdict, because it just seems to make more sense. Why do they still throw you in jail if you're found not guilty? I know the chancellor's corrupt (and, y'know, literally a monster), but c'mon now, that's not how incarceration works.

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100

NikkolasKing posted:

I must say that I am enjoying CT's story such as it is at the moment but I do kinda hope there is a bit more...urgency? We got the first warning about Lavos in 2300 but since then we've kinda just been dicking around trying to fix the Masamune. Guessing this will make Frog stop being al mopey and join our party. That's great and all but I guess I'm just waiting for the plot to kick into gear. Maybe when we actually meet this Magus fellow. Right now we're just getting drunk with Ayla and dancing and going to find who stole our Gate Key. I don't expect this to ever be a super-serious game but I'm sure ther ewill come a point when we have a bit more...direction?

Haha, oh man, just you wait.

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100

Zereth posted:

How was 3 censored, anyway?

The most egregious example is at the end of the game Jin gets stabbed through the back and there's supposed to be a torrent of blood, so much so that the camera lingers on his stomach where the exit wound is, except we're treated to what amounts to a glamour shot of his midsection.

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100
When you create your attack combo, the way they chain together will have an impact on how fast it is. In general, you want your next attack to begin roughly where the preceding attack ended, like going Left Slash -> Right Slash. It seems really obvious and all, but some of the later attacks you learn have some funky animations, so you'll want to experiment (by kicking people in town :unsmigghh:). One-handed swords are great, two-handers are okay (axes suck balls), spears are dynamite.

The two best accessories are to be equipped together: one increases your movement speed, and the other one limits you to speed-walking. Mosey everywhere.

As for recruiting people, they aren't kidding when they say there's some really esoteric requirements. However, there's some tips that'll take the pressure off a bit:

• Everyone has a fixed schedule.
  • Generally, time/story only moves forward when you go back to your room and sleep. I recall that in a few places something else triggers the story moving on, but I also recall the game being suitably obvious about it.
  • If you miss someone, you can wait around and catch them on the following day. Don't sleep, just wait.
  • There's only one character you actually need to kick three times and beat to recruit. Everyone else just gets suitably annoyed by you kicking and fighting them, and won't join your party just based on your incredibly immature show of power.
  • Struggle I is the best battle theme of all time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IiA9FeIACRA

Radiata Stories felt like it came from the PS1 era of Square taking a bunch of risks on a ton of new IPs.

Namnesor fucked around with this message at 07:32 on Sep 16, 2014

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100
Skip the initial .hack quadrilogy, and go straight for G.U., because those are actually fun to play.

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100

Nate RFB posted:

Mystic Quest is better than FF9.

That's not a fair comparison, Mystic Quest rocks.

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100

NikkolasKing posted:

I still can't understand why anyone would give a poo poo about Xenosaga Episode III if they didn't like Episode I or II. III is entirely dependent on the first two games.

I enjoyed EpI, hated and didn't even finish EpII, and I loved EpIII. I was bummed out that III was the last one, because they finally hit on good gameplay for both on-foot and mech. Especially with how absurd the scale of numbers got with E.S. battles :allears:

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100
I'm a little late to Suikochat, but I would like to point out that Suikoden V has Haud, and Suikoden III doesn't. In light of being reminded of this, I think we can all agree V is the superior.

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100

BloodWulfe posted:

Counterpoint: Suikoden IV has Schtolteheim Reinbach III.

Countercounterpoint: Suikoden IV sucks and not even he could redeem that game.

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100
All three Shadow Hearts were some of the best-looking games on the PS2.

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100
I did lament the loss of specific targeting on wanzers, but it ultimately mattered pretty little because when you were playing as Elsa's team, you would just barrage every enemy with highly-coordinated missile batteries, and as Darril's team, nothing at all ever mattered because you were a group of mismatched bipedal gods of destruction

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100
Brave Fencer Musashi, you dumb gal, or else ya'll gonna get a lickin'.

EDIT: You made a mistake.

Namnesor fucked around with this message at 22:26 on Feb 19, 2015

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100
Ceasar is 3 was pretty great, because he hosed up a good deal, so his victories felt earned.

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100
S5 has like one of the longest intros in all of gaming, but ultimately I think the setup pays off down the road. There's a lot of plot points thrown out that get revisited later, and it doesn't feel totally out of left field because of that intro.

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100

Captain Walker posted:

Double post to switch to actual good game chat: Finished Emma's route in Front Mission 3. Accomplished the following:

Became a traitor to Japan by mission 2.
Spent about 15 missions chasing and failing to stop a new super weapon.
Inadvertently left a bunch of civilians in the care of the main villain, getting them all killed.
Spent about 30 missions backing a rebellion in China that, as it turns out, was run by a huge douchebag who probably got the legitimate successor killed.
Went to rescue a civilian without giant robot suit, getting a party member captured and said civilian re-captured.
Failed to re-connect with military dad during a coup d'état, ultimately getting him killed in an attempt to redeem himself.
Encountered the main villain in his god-mech and four reinforcements. Body Smash triggered against three of them and the boss.
Got capture-prone civilian killed.
Stormed the Capitol building with POTUSN present, and held a news conference where the party somehow came out as the heroes in all of the above.

Can't wait to see if Kazuki is more competent with his capture-happy sister around instead of the actually cool character of Emma!

The important thing is that he's just as angry at everything no matter what you choose.

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100

corn in the bible posted:

That's completely true -- Nintendo reps said they would fund its development if they had a playable demo to show off the game, which apparently shocked everyone because Square Enix always does the gameplay and demos last. They said that it really helped pull the teams together because they had to work stuff out in order to get the gameplay and engine working, and basically admitted that Square Enix's workflow is retarded

Not disagreeing about S-E's workflow nor is the rest of what you said incorrect, but Xenoblade was developed by MonolithSoft.

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100

Quest For Glory II posted:

I can't believe I've gotten a third of the way through wild arms, especially when the combat has like almost nothing to it

fire gun meteor dive armor down fire gun meteor dive heal fire gun meteor dive heal exp gella run run run run slam into wall

Well yeah but you can throw a rat at treasure chests

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100

Gyshall posted:

How many years pass between the Suikoden games? Not like Final Fantasy where each game is a new iteration, is it?

4 is 143 years before 5, 5 is six years before 1, 2 is three years later, and 3 is fifteen years later than 2.

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100
Dragon Quarter's my favorite BoF for a variety of reasons, but the largest was how the restart system allowed for a really flexible style of play. If you were more of a grinder and a brute forcer, you could amass party EXP and faceroll the game, but if you played tactically and really thought out your battles, treating them more like a strategy game than an RPG, you could push really far on a single run, if not outright beat the game.

Plus the dragon transformation was baller as gently caress and given how "dangerous" it was to use up your D-Counter, it felt appropriately powerful. Dropping 100k damage on Bosch's stupid loving face in a single turn always felt good. :unsmigghh:

I'll agree, though, it didn't really need to be a Breath of Fire game.

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100
Play Brave Fencer Musashi or ya'll gonna get a lickin'.

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100

MockingQuantum posted:

Well maybe I'll start with this since it's the only suggestion that's carried the threat of bodily harm.

Yeah, I did it!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8JUfABu58E

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100

corn in the bible posted:

the payoff is that she leaves the party and nobody interesting replaces her

It's about the time I stopped playing G3 and haven't even tried another playthrough since.

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100

Butt Ghost posted:

I am amazed and enthralled that there will finally be a good Drakengard game.

C'mon, Nier didn't have the best combat, but it was most definitely a good game.

Also 'good Drakengard game' is a very low bar to set.

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100
Sure, but consider this: boar drifting

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100

The Taint Reaper posted:

The boar was so lovely in Neir that it was quicker to run than to try and aim the boar.

you shut the gently caress up, if you weren't boar drifting every time you had to cross the plains then you were playing nier wrong and you should die

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100

BottledBodhisvata posted:

So, I want to play old-school Final Fantasy games and I don't want to do it via emulator if I can avoid it.

Is there some way to play Final Fantasy 1 and 2 on the PS3? What consoles have the games and what's the best ports available where?

Steam has 3-8 and 13. PSN has 3-13, both are sans 6 and 12. 1, 2, and 6 are on phones.

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100
WA2 is really enjoyable not in spite of its translation, but because of. It's not a bad translation, it's an insane translation.

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100

kirbysuperstar posted:

Not really and the gameplay is very good, fast and fun, but it comes down to how much you can tolerate Dean.

Dean is the best, the better question is how much you can stomach that piece of poo poo Chuck

Dean is the best because you can stack some insane abilities on him, like always guaranteeing his first strike in a battle/after a reload is a critical, along with 4x crit damage, and basically halve boss HP right from the outset of the fight

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100
You're playing the wrong series, then, and most definitely the wrong Atelier.

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100
One of my strongest memories of BOF4 was the first time I played it as a kid, and Ryu breaks his sword hitting that one dude in the face in the first town, shouting out "holy poo poo" and my mom scolding me for cursing. I explained why, and she nodded and replied "actually yeah that's a pretty holy poo poo moment"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100

Verranicus posted:

So would I be able to do the story in the DIsgaea games without grinding or touching whatever the hell that item world thing was?

If you're only doing the story, you will never have to grind at all.

To be fair, the item world (or each game's equivalent) is fun as heck.