Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

I've got an old Samsung I9000, currently with the Tirami Slim ROM which I really love. I was just wondering if anyone had the phone with a different ROM, possibly with a Jellybean one, and their experiences with it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Healbot posted:

I helped someone put CM10 on his SGS, it's smooth as poo poo and based off the Nexus S JB (biggest reason why CM10 for the I9000 was out so fast). Could provide you with more experiences if the dude I helped comes back complaining why it got so slow (he has a history of slowing CM9 down to a crawl). Haven't heard of him in two weeks though, so fingers crossed.

That sounds great if you could! I mean I do love this ROM but I also love Jellybean on my Nexus 7.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

I've just got the Galaxy Note, and from poking around it looks like the ParanoidAndroid rom is the best Jelly Bean rom for the job. What is everyone else running? Should I even bother and just wait for the official Jelly Bean update (I think they've started rolling it out)?

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Silly Burrito posted:

I've been running Flappjaxx's rom (http://rootdev.org/topic/rommod-aospxxx-jb-unofficial-aospcm10-mashup/). Currently I'm on 10/5, and it's working very nicely.

I will check this out, hopefully tonight, and let you know how I get on! Stupid question, you have to install CM10 on the Note first right? I've only rooted once before. How embarrassing.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Silly Burrito posted:

No, you don't have to. This is a mixup of CM10 and stock Jelly Bean. I'm a newbie too, so don't worry, it's not too difficult. What I did was to use the instructions here:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1584576

Basically, I used Odin to flash the Clockwork Mod Touch Recovery. Then, I added Superuser once I rebooted into CWM. (http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1581185) Once I did all that, I rebooted, installed Titanium backup, and backed up any apps that I wanted to keep data for.

I then rebooted into CWM, made a full nandroid backup, wiped the cache, the dalvik cache, and did the factory reset. Finally, I installed the ROM. After rebooting and setting everything up, I restored my app data from Titanium Backup.

In the ROMs tools, there is an option to flash TWRP. I did that and found that I prefer it greatly to CWM for rebooting and recovery.

With all that said, I also used the pictures from http://rootgalaxynote.com/galaxy-note-i717-roms/how-to-root-att-galaxy-note-sgh-i717-icsgingerbreadeasiest-method/ to help me visually along when I first started.

Good luck!

About to try this now, thanks for the write up! That's gonna save me a ton of headaches! Just to check, everything essential works for you right? Like wifi, GPS etc? Cos that would suck.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Protocol7 posted:

I know I took the gamble when I flashed it, but PA on my Note 2 is terrible. Halo is cool and all, but app syncing does not work. For any app. I've already tried the obvious solutions and a few not-so-obvious.

Back to a TouchWiz based ROM I guess. I loved a lot of poo poo that 4.2.2 did too. :smith:

I haven't had any problems with the Carbon Rom or Slimbean on my Note. Maybe try one of them?

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

When formatting your system data to install an updated ROM, what's the simplest way to restore all your data from apps etc.? Currently I just wait for my phone to install all my apps from the Play Store, then restore all my app data with Titanium. Is that what you guys do?

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

ProjektorBoy posted:

Why aren't you backing up the apps along with the data with Titanium?

I am, titanium backs up everything every night, it's just that when you start the phone after a format it downloads all the apps anyway, so I only restore data.

It's annoying, Carbon Rom finally updated to 1.8, but for some reason you have to do a fresh install (I tried a dirty update but the phone kept giving error messages constantly, making it unusable)

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

hooah posted:

You know that you can ...not have the phone download everything, right?

OK maverick, let's try it your way.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

So I'm right in thinking that when I get a new phone, I can just upload my Titanium backup to Box, then just download it onto my new phone and all the app data will work like a charm?

Also it's a long shot but the new phone will be the Galaxy Mega 6.3 - anyone running root and a rom on one of those?

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

I want to ask questions about the Note 2 and kernels/rom recommendations, like if there are any things worth keeping from Touchwiz or if I should just install Carbon like I did for the Note 1, and if I should bother with one of these supposedly amazing custom kernels. Can anyone please talk to me over PMs? The XDA developers forums is a nightmare of broken sentences and confusing acronyms.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Gilok posted:

I just got a Note 2 (Sprint) used, and after a year and a half with a Galaxy Nexus I love the signal and the giant battery, but hate the bundled crap so I'm probably going to root.

I flipped back a few pages and a lot of people recommend the Carbon rom. What functionality do I lose if I go for a non-Touchwiz rom? Like, does Carbon support the stylus thing? What makes it so great, and what are the runners-up?

Are there any Touchwiz roms I should look at? There are about a million roms with strange letters attached (MA7, MC2, LK8) in this XDA thread and I'm kind of paralyzed for choice. I'm pretty sure I don't want to go for Paranoid Android like I did on my GNex since the main thing I liked was customizing the home/back button bar and the Note 2 has a dedicated one.

Can someone just treat me like the idiot I am and show me around?

I'm using this: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1925402

All the touchwiz bloat is removed, you can add or remove whatever you like, it's solid as a rock and the battery life is insane. It's all I've used. It'll be updated when 4.3 is officially released, as apparently there are some issues with the leak. I'm gonna wait.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

I've just downloaded Viper4Android. Has anyone else tried this? I use flac files and good headphones, but I normally don't use equalizers. So this should make my music sound like angels singing, right?

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

I just installed my first customer kernel and feel like a boss.

On my Note 2 I'm using Android HD Revolution, and I just flashed the Perseus Alpha kernel. Why didn't I do this ages ago? My benchmark on Antutu went from 20608 to 22600. Not that that means much but my phone is definitely snappier now. I've read the battery life is better but that remains to be seen.

Also using Twilight now, which I definitely recommend, and just installed Greenify, which should help. Anyone else using that?

I finally got Viper working and now I'm going to tinker with that.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

fookolt posted:

Are there any 4.4 ROMs for the AT&T Samsung Galaxy S4 that has the custom navbar and navigation ring as shown above? I'm running Task650 AOKP 4.3 but it's sorta slow :(

Switchr does something like this, and I love it.

Does anyone have experience with updating boot loaders? Currently on a Note 2 4.1 ROM, and Android HD has been updated to 4.3. However I need to update to the MJ5 boot loader for some stupid Samsung reason. Can anyone point me in the right direction please?

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

I use root for Greenify, better battery stats, ad block, screenstandby to turn off screen when connected to HDMI, Titanium, to be able to find out the wi fi password if I've forgotten or its been hidden from me, and to install a custom ROM (an optimised Touchwiz ROM). All these things are useful to me and required next to no effort.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

the kawaiiest posted:

New Xposed module puts GEL's always listening "OK Google" in any launcher: http://forum.xda-developers.com/xposed/modules/mod-ok-google-3rd-party-launchers-t2765635

Tested on my Note 3 with Nova Prime. Works great.

e: just to clarify, this is "OK Google" from the home screen, not from the lock screen or with the phone on standby.

This works great on my Note 2. I was hoping this would happen.

The title of this thread is really incorrect, despite what some people say here rooting can be very useful. I know the standard response is "get a good phone!" but you know what? This is a great phone, and rooting makes it my perfect phone. I can't get these features anywhere else, not even on everyone's beloved N5.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Why? That's really mean. What have we done to you?

That article makes it seem that root will still be possible and things will still work for the most part anyway, so I'm not worried.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Broken? I'd hardly call Touchwiz broken. Sure I prefer stock, but I also prefer SD cards and removable batteries and a fantastic camera and display. I could call a Nexus 5 broken because it doesn't offer what I want, but that would be silly.

Yeah Samsung uses a knox counter, which you can trip by flashing a new bootloader which will invalidate your warranty. That doesn't affect me.

I live in the UK. We don't have your broken mobile phone system.

I don't know if Samsung will go full hog with Tizen, that would be one hell of a gamble. I'd definitely jump ship then.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

I disagree

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

always be closing posted:

Anyone here using a note 2 that can recommend a good ROM? My battery lasts like 8 hours these days.

Android HD. It's a flawless stock ROM. No problems at all.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Oh my lord what are we even arguing about now

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Just found out that I can root my Asus Zenfone 2. I`m so happy, mainly for the SD Card Fix, Greenify and AdAway. I don`t care about Custom ROMs or recovery.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Uncle at Nintendo posted:

That's for some weird overseas version of the S9 that uses a different processor.

If you want root you pretty much have to get a Pixel. Also it has to be the one directly from Google. The Verizon-made one sucks.

That's not true. You can root pretty much all Chinese phones e.g. Xiaomi, Huawei, ZTE etc

Just go to XDA and look at the forums, some are easier than others

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

I root for AdAway, Viper and Substratum. Especially Viper, it sounds so good with decent headphones