Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Turmoil
Jun 27, 2000

Forum Veteran

Young Urchin
I've had an Ender 3 since February and enjoy it and like tinkering on it, but I've been eyeing a Prusa lately.
It just seems like if I get a Prusa there will be less tinkering, though a lot what I've been tinkering with on the Ender is already standard on the Prusa.

I think what's been holding me back has been that it's still 8-bit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Turmoil
Jun 27, 2000

Forum Veteran

Young Urchin

Hypnolobster posted:

Put a 3 point leveling Y carriage on my Ender 3 and now I have zero urge to dick with mesh leveling or anything of the sort. It is so damned easy to level.

I've been doing a lot of upgrades on my Ender 3 lately and that's next on my list.
Did you go with the Gulf-Coast Robotics kit, AliExpress, or something else?

Turmoil
Jun 27, 2000

Forum Veteran

Young Urchin

AgentCow007 posted:

For sure... I was trolling for the most part since I've seen that video and I wouldn't mind owning one, but that was my first impression. I keep a spreadsheet to keep track of how close I've gotten to spending a Prusa's worth on my Ender 3. If you only count the mods I've kept (EZABL, DD mod, 5015s, and eventually EZboard) I'm still not doing bad at all at $475 including printer.
I've looked at how much I've spent on my Ender 3 and it's been a bit, but it's been fun tweaking it.

I got an EZBoard recently and it's nice.
Granted it's like $60 more than an SKR mini E3, but it's a good quality build and I was able to get it a lot faster.

Turmoil
Jun 27, 2000

Forum Veteran

Young Urchin

The Eyes Have It posted:

3d printing has always had a certain amount of "you don't HAVE to tune and endlessly fiddle your printer, you GET to!" :haw:

I get what you're saying because that part isn't some exciting learning opportunity to me, it's just busywork I could do without, but some people really dig it.
I get that. I like fiddling with stuff to an extent, but once I've gotten to the point where I have to fiddle around with each print it starts to get old.

I like my Ender 3 and have pretty much maxed it out to where I want it, but finally made the decision and will be eating Goldbären soon.

Turmoil
Jun 27, 2000

Forum Veteran

Young Urchin

armorer posted:

Yeah my ender 3 hasn't really given me any problems that weren't actually just me being dumb.

That's been the case with my Ender 3. I've had little to no trouble from it and it was printing pretty well when I first put it together.
I've modded it to all metal hot end, direct drive, auto leveling, and a 32-bit board.

Overall though it's a finicky thing. I can go days printing without issues and then the next print fails horrible and it takes me a while to tune it back to something acceptable.

I wanted something that was a bit more reliable and ended up getting a Prusa this week. I finished putting it together yesterday and so far so good.

Turmoil
Jun 27, 2000

Forum Veteran

Young Urchin

Parallelwoody posted:

Got it, so this would be a higher level printer that dispenses with a lot of the problems common in less expensive models and would get me relatively hassle free results if I'm understanding correctly. Are there any recommended guides about things to look out for, cool projects, common beginner mistakes, etc?

Teaching Tech videos are pretty good.

You can start with: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fIlYRyZlnlQ

Here's one about the Ender 3: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rmFjIb4moSw

Turmoil
Jun 27, 2000

Forum Veteran

Young Urchin

Synthbuttrange posted:

soooooo, for a beginner with no actual printer experience, but a lot of 3d experience, I was looking at dipping my toes into the cheap end of the pool. The Anycubic Mega-S and Creality Ender 3 look like the best options at this point? Is that about right?

Having owned an Ender 3 until I became frustrated with it and got a Prusa, if I had it to do over again the Anycubic Mega-S checks off a lot of boxes that I wish the Ender 3 had.

Dual Z steppers
Linear rods and bearings
Upgradeable stepper drivers

It also looks like the hot end on Anycubic is easier to deal with upgrading it.

Turmoil
Jun 27, 2000

Forum Veteran

Young Urchin
I had a jam with my Prusa yesterday too, though not as destructive.

I had some filament get stuck in the heat break and had to take the extruder assembly apart to get the the jam cleared.
Took the time to swap out the R4(factory printed) extruder cover with the R5 that I printed.

R4:

R5:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Turmoil
Jun 27, 2000

Forum Veteran

Young Urchin

TKIY posted:

Any Canadians looking for a Prusa powder coat sheet, they are now in stock at Voxel Factory.

Speaking of the Prusa sheets.

The 3.80 firmware came out the other day and you can have profiles for different sheets. You can save your Z settings for whatever sheet and just switch quickly between them.