Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

God dammit stop buying the XB2070HU so that I can.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Finally I found Acer XB270HU in stock. Sadly Directdial was totally charging me tax, and I've never heard of them.

http://www.macmall.com/p/Acer-Monitors/product~dpno~13454290~pdp.jagghdd

http://us.directdial.com/UM.HB0AA.001.html

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

I am tired of trying to get a Acer XB270HU and hate anyone who has one/is being shipped one. I order; my order ends up on backorder or some sort of drop shipping purgatory.

quote:

To Drop Shipper - Your order is being submitted to a third-party warehouse for fulfillment and delivery. You will receive a Shipping Confirmation email once it ships.

I'm pretty sure they're out and aren't telling me in hopes that I won't cancel.

Duck and Cover fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Apr 4, 2015

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Cojawfee posted:

Who are you ordering from?

Tigerdirect ... yeah I know. Oh and Macmall. Also, Antarespro.com.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Amazon has a preorder thingy up for the Acer XB270HU.

http://www.amazon.com/Acer-UM-HB0AA-001-27IN-2560-XB270HU/dp/B00UPVXDA8

Duck and Cover fucked around with this message at 18:35 on Apr 7, 2015

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

RadicalWall posted:

XB270HUs are back in stock at Newegg! Go go go!
Aaaand they're gone.

Now the waiting game begins...

It said out of stock earlier but had an add to cart button like an idiot I didn't add to cart until it was too late and was trying to pay. I mean stupid me for assuming out of of stock means out of stock.

Duck and Cover fucked around with this message at 19:09 on Apr 9, 2015

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

RadicalWall posted:

You can put it on backorder now through Newegg so I would do that and try to forget about it until you get a shipping notification.

I don't exactly like Newegg as a company and already have backordered ones through Amazon/Macmall.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

http://www.provantage.com/acer-um-hb0aa-001~7ACEP0ET.htm Cheapest price I've seen for the XB270HU. Well Acer's site might have been cheaper with a coupon code/waiting for the site to offer free shipping.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Seeing as Provantage now has the Acer XB270HU BPRZ in stock I'm hoping mine will ship tomorrow.

Duck and Cover fucked around with this message at 03:37 on Apr 22, 2015

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Good news my XB270HU arrved, and appears to be n good shape. Bad news guess what key s presently not workng on my laptop.

Duck and Cover fucked around with this message at 22:01 on Apr 24, 2015

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

I'm very tempted to get the 48" OLED LG and use it as a computer monitor. I kind of know it'll be too big but but maybe it won't be!

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

I love when companies are like "Yeah we're making a thing. No we won't tell you the price, or the release date". Blaaaah I think I'll just get that 48 oled that's already out.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Zorilla posted:

Attempt #3 at buying a 34" ultrawide. Here is what "Factory Certified New Item in Original Box" gets you from Amazon Marketplace:

The monitor would have been in perfect cosmetic condition, but the dinguses who packed it didn't cover the base of the stand, leaving the paint rubbing up against the inner cardboard structure of the box for the entire 2,500 mile trip, ruining the finish. I hope the seller is flexible in dealing with this because a replacement stand is neither cheap nor easy to come by, and it's a long trip back.

...and that's assuming I can take care of the other problem this has. The backlight bleed on this monitor isn't actually all that bad, but the off-axis glow is pretty intense in the bottom left corner at this monitor's intended viewing distance (2.5-3.5 feet). Further away, it's much more tame, but that doesn't count for anything because this is a monitor, not a TV. I should point out that all of this is happening at 30% brightness and is noticeable in daytime conditions, so I'm definitely not fishing for defects by blacking out my room and cranking the brightness.

Right now, Dell warranty support doesn't even acknowledge this monitor exists no matter what unique identifier I throw at it. It has a manufacture date of March 2020 and the warranty is 3 years, so hopefully this is just a matter of calling them and getting this monitor's information entered so I can proceed. If not, the whole thing is off and the monitor will have to go back. I wonder if they still cross-ship like the last time I did a warranty claim on an Ultrasharp product back in 2013.

Also, following up on my HDMI sleep mode troubles from the previous U3415W I tried: they happen on this monitor too with every cable I already own. However, this time, the monitor came with a full complement of cables, including HDMI. This one is much thicker and the connectors have a much more snug fit, and I'm happy to report that it goes to sleep properly with this one. So it was my cables before--all three of four of them.

I bet a melamine sponge would clean that up.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Ihmemies posted:

At this point the LG will push out smaller 4k120hz GSYNC oled tv's faster than actual display manufacturers will produce decent 32-34" 4k panels.

48" is totally small enough for a monitor right? Right? I'm probably going to do it. I've said so in the past but this time surely I mean it.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Rusty posted:

Of course it is, it all depends on how far you sit from it. I use a 55" OLED sometimes as my main monitor, mainly when I play games, but also sometimes I just use it to browse the web and it is awesome. I don't use it all the time though, for work and mostly browsing I still use an ultrawide. I wall mounted mine so it isn't sitting on a desk.

Yeah but I can only move my desk so far from the wall where I plan to mount it, maybe I'll get a keyboard tray thingy. Anyway I've pretty much convinced myself already I'm just waiting for the new LGs to become available.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Rusty posted:

I just measured mine and I am 5 feet from my 55". I think for 48" I could go 3 - 3.5 feet.

The furthest edge of the desk can be at most 3' 4"ish from the wall. Well I mean I could move it more but it'd be blocking a closet I don't really use. I came to the conclusion when I measured this awhile a go that it might be bigger than I would ideally want, but not by too much. It makes me a smidge uneasy as I have a 27" now but I want dark blacks and don't want to spend like 3k for a more reasonably sized slower refresh monitor.

Duck and Cover fucked around with this message at 06:27 on May 18, 2021

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

I wish to upgrade my Acer XB270HU but noooo everything is poo poo or way too much money and still bad. I'll probably be back in like a year to complain again, can't wait!

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

I mean, it'll be a little bit faster and better than his current monitor, but it isn't a large leap forward in display technology or anything. There are a lot of people sorta depressed at the state of monitor tech right now (me included) due to how much it has stagnated and how slow and expensive adoption of true HDR has been.

It's 6 years old for fucks sake!

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

In other news:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AB7Lbia7Nlc

This video is 90% speculation based on a small tidbit of information doled out by a korean news site, but it's all sensible speculation. tl;dw: Samsung is releasing a 34" gaming monitor during the initial roll-out of their "QD Display" line of displays, which is their fancy marketing speech for OLED with a quantum dot filter. Specifically, it's a blue light OLED panel with quantum dots turning that blue light into other colors. It's expected to be much more efficient than regular OLED due to less light filtration being necessary. So more total brightness, and less energy needed per nit. This should also make burn-in happen more slowly. Exactly by how much is unknown currently, but in its early iterations it may lack some of the efficiency and screen-preservation features that LG has developed over the years for their panels.

The 34" monitor is almost certainly going to be a 21:9 ultrawide. And it would be weird if it didn't have a higher-than-60hz refresh rate since they'll be marketing it as a flagship gaming monitor. You can also expect it to be extraordinarily expensive. Maybe $2500 like the Neo G9, or maybe even $3000+ like Asus' mini LED 4K IPS. These prices should hopefully improve as yield rates improve.
6 years later. $3000 monitors? I mean I guess if you want an average monitor. High end? 7k. Progress! TVs will be like $800 and 60 inches. They'll of course track everything (more so than now) you do but they're so cheap who cares!

That being said I'll seriously consider buying that Samsung when it's out.

Duck and Cover fucked around with this message at 04:40 on Nov 30, 2021

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

I ran with a 16:10 monitor for 7 years before it died, which was a sad day indeed. I would be fully down if they brought that aspect ratio back.

In other display news today, Samsung announced yet another new HDR standard, "HDR10+ GAMING." I can't really tell what it does, to be honest. HDR10+ already gave game engines (and other content sources) control over backlight zones for more visuals more accurate to the content designers' intent. This adds control over the display's color modes or something? At the same time Samsung announced that, the HDMI forum announced a new HDMI 2.1a feature, Source-Based Tone Mapping, which sounds like a very similar thing, at least in so far that the idea is to automatically display accurate colors on users' displays regardless of whatever wacky monitor settings they have... I think? These news posts are kind of scant on the finer details. It seems like the HDMI spec will more be about automatically tone mapping based on reported color values from the display, while Samsung's HDR10+ may be more of a display-side thing? Hell man, I don't know. Do we really need competing standards for this? Does Samsung really expect many games to support their own proprietary poo poo?

The most interesting part about this is the confirmation (maybe this was already confirmed somewhere? dunno) that Samsung has new Neo QLED computer monitors coming in 2022. I was worried that they might switch entirely their new QD OLED tech. If they can release a 4K Neo G9-like 16:9 display without all the flaws their 2020/2021 QLED displays have had, then I might actually buy one. Waiting for a good, long-lasting, regularly-sized OLED monitor will take too long.

You aren't suppose to define marketing bullshit. Don't you totally want "HDR10+ GAMING" of course you do and this monitor has it better buy it. Those monitors over there? They don't have it so don't buy those ones.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

What if companies instead of selling crap decided to not sell crap? I got a Asus Zephyrus G14 I'm going to return because the display is warmer on one side than the other. Oh and I noticed backlight bleed in a corner (it has more but the corner was what I noticed first). I wouldn't be super surprised if the next G14 is worse.

Part of the reason I'm so reluctant to replace my desktop monitor is because I just know the odds of having to deal with this kind poo poo is way too high.

Duck and Cover fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Mar 6, 2022

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

K8.0 posted:

Amazon returns are not a hassle, and a monitor is something you'll probably have for 5 or 10 years. Start the process now and order another monitor now so you don't have to go without one.

You seem to be mixing up "not a hassle" with "difficult to do". It is absolutely a hassle, they know it, that's why they put the burden to return and quality check on the customers as opposed to doing it themselves. The manufacturers should quality control their stuff better, and the retailers should be less tolerant of companies that have high returns. Oh and I suppose the consumers should be more picky and less "eh good enough, the next one might be worse".

Duck and Cover fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Mar 6, 2022

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Eve is selling their glossy displays tomorrow. Discount code GLOSSYFAN for $25 off. I'm probably going to at the very least attempt to buy the 4k 144hz one.

Duck and Cover fucked around with this message at 00:44 on Mar 10, 2022

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

We can't have nice things because gamers are easily placated with more frames.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

nrook posted:

The only problem is how on earth to hide the incredibly ugly, giant HDMI cable going across your entire apartment, which is the primary interior decorating dilemma that has haunted me for the past eight years at least

https://www.cable-sleeving.com/cable-sleeving-b

Hide? Embrace it with bright colored cables.

I know I said I was totally going to buy the 48" lg oled in this thread. I didn't. I'm totally going to buy the 42" lg oled.

Duck and Cover fucked around with this message at 04:37 on Apr 27, 2022

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Canine Blues Arooo posted:

Iis this finally the monitor I wanted? Have my prayers for a no-nonsense 27" 1440p actual gaming monitor??

Asus PG27AQDH.

27"
1440 x 2560
240hz
Using the same OLED panel as the LG 27GR95QE
...Except it actually has a heatsink
Holy poo poo, it's the dream

I do love companies tweeting "this exists" without giving a price and/or release date. The lg preorder is on the 12 and doesn't have a lame led logo on the front of it so I'm probably going with that.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

https://www.lg.com/us/monitors/lg-27gr95qe-b

Pre-orders are up. Who's biting?

The Pro version also has slightly better response times. To be honest, I wouldn't buy the regular M27Q for $270. There are other monitors at around that price that are just better in most ways, like the Acer XV272U (though it lacks a KVM switch if that's important to you).

I bit it comes with a mouse pad! !!! !! !!111!! !!111!!1111 Well I thought I did but apparently failed to finish so I guess I'll do it again.

edit: Silly me it's not a mouse pad it's a UltraGear Gaming Pad. I won't be using it. Well I might use it but not as a mousepad I'm a picky baby and only like really fast mousepads like the SteelSeries SX (no longer for sale) or a Skypad and I'm totally getting a hot pink Skypad.

Duck and Cover fucked around with this message at 07:13 on Dec 12, 2022

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Rinkles posted:

this demonstrates why i turned off all my rgb (though i didn't have as much of a light show). having something bright in the corner of my eye was distracting especially with dimmed lights. but i'm sensitive to lights, and get migraines easily.

Uh what? If you have something distracting you turn off the monitor so you can focus on the RGB not the other way around.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

I honestly have no idea. W-OLED has issues when getting to high PPI counts which is probably why they can't do 5k2k, but 3840x1600 at 45 inches would be well within the limits of the technology (roughly the same ppi as 48" 4k). The only thing I can think of is that they're worried about the ease of driving it and opted for a lower resolution, but this is a super expensive luxury product. If you're spending $1700 on a ridiculous monitor like this, you surely can get a PC good enough for 3840x1600. This panel is baffling to me.

I think it has to do with gamers being easily exploited and being niche. It's a huge niche but it's still only a percentage of people compared to TVs. I think that's why they don't make them glossy really, well maybe this person is in an office and can't control their lighting! We're appealing to office workers annnnnd gamers :rolleyes:! So yeah we keep getting poo poo like a $1,000 27 inch not even 4k oled while you can buy a 42" 4k Oled for 900 (it was on sale for 800) it's just crap. It's ridiculous to me that there's a tech item I own that's lasted me 7ish years. It's not that I haven't looked before it's that the offerings are crap.

I also don't think it's a coincidence that LG is shipping their 27 oled before CES and Asus announcing theirs. I either wait for Asus which may or may not cost more to order, risking it costing too much and the LG being out of stock or I get the LG and the Asus is superior so I either return or just live with it.

edit: Oh my order estimate 16th so there's that but I would not be surprised if the Asus announcement will be like "eh whatever you can buy it some time in the future maybe".

Duck and Cover fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Dec 30, 2022

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

mysteryberto posted:

I'm still excited about the LG monitor and reviews are starting to come out. I'm not excited about color fringing and blurriness of text. I think I'll wait until more reviews are out before buying and might even end up waiting for another generation. I use my monitor for gaming and work so it's important text is clear to me.

https://www.engadget.com/lg-ultra-gear-gaming-monitors-hands-on-setting-a-new-bar-for-oled-refresh-rates-153046589.html

Silly billy, that's not how buying things work these days. You don't wait for reviews because if you do the item will be out of stock.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Well, those LG TVs only go to 120Hz while the 27" 1440p monitor is 240hz. I agree that part of this is them exploiting an underserved market, but it's not totally unjustifiable that the high-refresh monitors cost more. LG and Samsung have both stated an intent to build more monitor panels going forward, and I think the price will start dropping once that happens. Hopefully we get BOE or some other rando in China to start producing OLED panels soon too.

Anyway, the Asus model is absolutely going to cost more. This is almost certainly going to be in their expensive ROG brand.

Yeah yeah I know but I think the whole 240hz is for most gamers completely unnecessary and they'd gain more with any other aspect. Be it price, size, pixel density, whatever. I suspect 240hz is the cheapest way to sell to gamers (well besides rgb and really stupid looking displays) and so that is what they are doing. Oh yeah sure we could improve our poo poo but why? We only need a big number to slap on the thing and the gamers will buy. They aren't wrong gamers are loving morons myself included it's just annoying.

Duck and Cover fucked around with this message at 04:14 on Dec 31, 2022

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Duck and Cover posted:

edit: Oh my order estimate 16th so there's that but I would not be surprised if the Asus announcement will be like "eh whatever you can buy it some time in the future maybe".

Lol. No price, sometime in Q1. Whelp good thing I preordered the LG which seems to be out of stock now.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Zero VGS posted:

Asus announced two laptops releasing in Q2 that use 3.2K, OLED, 120hz screens with the autostereoscopic 3D effect like they had on the Nintendo 3DS. Curious to see if that tech is going to start popping up on other displays. It uses eye-tracking cameras to optimize the effect.

I'd like to see even those panels come out for non-3D laptops since those specs are nearly ideal for gaming too.

My Asus laptop is a piece of poo poo (rog 14 like a year old). I mean pretty much all Windows laptops are bad to differing degrees so there's that. Microsoft > Razer maybe? > Uh Lenovo I guess> Sony, Asus, Samsung. I'm probably going Frameworks next time.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Zero VGS posted:

I was just talking about the panels, but you think Microsoft makes the best laptop? The Surfacebooks had the highest failure rate by far of the different brands I issued to employees. Multiple had puffed up batteries which I've never seen on any other reputable brand, and the thing where the keyboard attaches to the screen had permanently communication failures on another. The other Microsoft hardware I've experienced was multiple red ring of death Xbox 360's, and my "Elite Series 2" controller which I bought for $200 and gives me an electric shock if I try to use it while it's charging on USB.

My Asus is also a couple years old (ZenBook Flip OLED from BestBuy) and I essentially use it as a wireless monitor (Gamestream from a desktop to the laptop go I have a 15.6" 4K OLED). It has been mostly solid except for the piece of poo poo power jack which I've soldered twice now and a flaky space bar that misses 10% of my presses. Their warranty support is poo poo in that they wanted me to mail it back and wait with a thumb up my rear end in the middle of the pandemic.

Fine other than those issues; I'm going to need to make it last until an actual OLED improvement happens, if ever. I hide all my desktop icons and set all my themes/browsers to a jet-black dark mode, and it looks neat while having no burn-in whatsoever even though I've logged a bazillion hours on it.

Frameworks is interesting but they're 13.5-inch screens only; way too small for me.

Yeah I realize you were just talking about the panels I just saw it as a chance to complain feel free to ignore the rest of this post.

I liked my surface, whatever it was called the one with the fancy hinge and the tablet. I also use to really like their mouse, but that was ages ago so it doesn't really count. The Lenovo had a garbage screen (my model came with two different branded screens for whatever tier of screen I selected, I got the worse one but I'm not sure how much that mattered) . Now that I think about it my Microsoft laptop did have an issue, I don't remember what it was but I do remember going to the store in the mall and replacing it. Which was nice though, actually having a store like Apple does have value.

The Samsung Ativ Book Pro had an option that would make colors look bad while on battery (companies love this poo poo, trying to get Apple numbers of run time at all costs). The Razer was okay but they used a sticker for the speaker grills and refused to sell me one when it came undone. Oh yeah sure I'm totally going to be without my laptop for you to install a sticker. Oh yeah and I had an Asus EEE which liked to tip over because the weight was like all in the back. I mean what a piece of poo poo that was. Doesn't count though. I wanted the Frameworks, but no discrete graphics, smaller than I'd like (I like 14" for laptops which is an uncommon size), no touchscreen. The size I could live with, but I wanted at least one of the other two.

Apple makes decent laptops for the most part. l replaced like two of their old magsafe connector powercords and they've had garbage keyboards in the past. My brother didn't like the touchbar. The problem is they're not Windows and Windows has games.

Duck and Cover fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Jan 7, 2023

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

change my name posted:

Just be warned that the LG one uses a matte finish that apparently mutes it a bit, according to the Youtube reviews that went up recently

Does LG not know about curtains? Somebody should tell them.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Shumagorath posted:

I’ll be sad if OLED skips 1440p because I do NOT want to pay 4K VRR GPU money on top of OLED money

It hasn't? LG and others have a 27" 1440p 240hz oled either released recently or soon.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

My new LG 27" oled came, and first impression? Too dim, it's some auto dim feature I think. Second impression? I don't appreciate a tiny screw preventing access to the remotes battery comparment.

Duck and Cover fucked around with this message at 23:47 on Jan 17, 2023

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Duck and Cover posted:

My new LG 27" oled came, and first impression? Too dim, it's some auto dim feature I think. Second impression? I don't appreciate a tiny screw preventing access to the remotes battery comparment.

Lol. the display turns warm at night, what a dumb thing for displays to do (yes I know some people like it). The menus to turn these features off can't be accessed by the single button on the display.

On the plus side I've noticed 0 dead/stuck pixels so that's good.

Duck and Cover fucked around with this message at 07:04 on Jan 18, 2023

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Duck and Cover posted:

Lol. the display turns warm at night, what a dumb thing for displays to do (yes I know some people like it). The menus to turn these features off can't be accessed by the single button on the display.

On the plus side I've noticed 0 dead/stuck pixels so that's good.

I'm a dumb dumb and it was windows making the display warm. Why it was turned on? *shrugs* I totally didn't turn it on. Spooky.

Duck and Cover fucked around with this message at 07:02 on Jan 21, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Blurb3947 posted:

It's possible you enabled it by accident from the notification shade thingy. I've hit it before only for it to be on a schedule and turn on later.

Oh absolutely I also don't trust windows to not decide to change my poo poo so whatever.

Truga posted:

apparently it has a matte finish. a couple weeks ago i was reading something unrelated and apparently there's a subset of gamers real bitter that gaming monitors mostly only come with a matte finish because "i just had to get blackout curtains and now my glossy screen's fine!" lmfao

They make the image quality of their displays worse to appeal to who? Who are these people who can't control lighting conditions to the point where they simply can't handle glare and why the gently caress can't they just put a filter on their glossy monitors themselves? Do hey think they are selling tons of these expensive monitors to go in offices or something? Maybe they think people will be bringing my monitor around town instead of a laptop. These displays not being glossy is just absolutely baffling to me. I don't get it.

Lockback posted:

I mean, I game in a basement so glossy screens are strongly preferable but I don't have passion for it one way or another. It's nice when they have options though.

I game in a bed room with four windows and a skylight. I'd still prefer glossy.

Duck and Cover fucked around with this message at 01:03 on Jan 22, 2023