Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Is there any rhyme or reason as to when Dell's monitors go on sale? I want to pick up a U2311 relatively soon, but I would hate to pay full price if it tends to go on sale on a regular basis. I don't mind waiting a week or two, but if it is unlikely that it will see a significant discount within a month I'll just cough up the extra cash.

The_Franz fucked around with this message at 04:17 on Dec 29, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

kri kri posted:

It seems to go on sale frequently, at least when I was looking around thanksgiving. I would say if it goes for -$40 then go for it?

I checked this morning and it looks like it is $50 off today! New monitor time!

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

wither posted:

It's still $320 on Dell's site for me. I want 2 new monitors and $100 in savings is enough for me to make me pull the trigger. Where are you seeing it for $50 off?

You need to go to the small business site.

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

I must say, my U2311 arrived yesterday and this is easily the best monitor I've ever owned. Bear in mind that this is coming from someone who has purchased and promptly returned a few LCDs over the years because they weren't as good as the reviews claimed. It's nice to finally find a worthy replacement for my good old NEC CRT, especially since, a couple of days after ordering the U2311, it started having a few 'glitchy' moments.

I just wish that there wasn't such a large price difference between the 2311 and 2410 because, while the 23" is a good size given my viewing distance and desk size, that extra vertical space would still be nice.

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Dr. Gaius Baltar posted:

The time has come.

Dell 23" U2311H 1920x1080 IPS LCD - $199.99 shipped + sales tax

I bought this monitor for $285 last week. Enjoy your awesome deals you jerks.

Is there any chance of them refunding the difference if you threaten to return the monitor?

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Dogen posted:

When are we going to get OLED monitors, they jumped right up to 55" TVs for some reason :mad:

Probably because the rich guys and AVSForum nutbars who will pay the initial ridiculous prices for larger OLED displays generally aren't interested in anything under 50".

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Most DC power supplies don't care about hz and will work just fine as long as you don't exceed the voltage they are designed for. There is also a chance that it comes with a universal power supply that handles anywhere from 100-240 volts like a lot of new computer equipment.

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Shadowhand00 posted:

2. Seems like Achievas have a slightly better rate of panel flawlessness. The only panels that are flawed for Achievas, according to that thread, are the ones with tempered glass - these get dust under the glass. The Catleaps seem to have 1-2 flaws + a bit more backlight bleed. The stand on the Catleaps is also not the greatest, but it does have some VESA mounts that are accessible and usable.

I'm going to order one of these monitors soon and, while I do like the look of tempered glass, everyone in the overclocked thread who got one of these seems to have dust behind the glass. It doesn't seem as though anyone has found a way to easily remove it for cleaning either.

As for the crappy stands, are there any decent VESA compatible "Dell style" stands out there that fit 27" monitors?

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

It looks like the company that makes the Catleap monitors is offering a factory-guaranteed "perfect pixel" version for an extra fee. The Green-Sum seller on ebay is offering this version for an extra $60. It might be worth it if you are on the fence but don't want to chance getting a flawed screen.

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Animal posted:

I still cant believe what a good deal the Catleap is. Something has to give, maybe it will explode and leave me blind.

Can anyone recommend a good VESA stand thats not too expensive? The original one is doing the job so far but I really wanna pimp this thing out. It deserves a throne.

The stands Dell uses for their 27 and 30 inch monitors use standard VESA mounts. You can try finding someone who wall-mounted their monitor and is willing to part with the original stand for a few dollars.

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

HalloKitty posted:

That's pretty much what I figured. If that metal plate unscrews, though, you could do some fabrication work, drill out the right holes, and so on. Sounds like a lot of hassle, when there must be normal VESA stands out there.

The 27 and 30 don't use the proprietary clip system. It's just a 100x100 VESA plate with screws.

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

thegasman2000 posted:

With my Catleap on iots way I have a question regarding using Dual Monitors on my MBP. My current monitor (23" TN) is VGA. I want to continue using this in portrait mode for email or whatever. (mainly to look cool!) Can I get a miniDP splitter? I would then need a VGA and DVI adapter for each side... I am aware this is probably retarded but can you split miniDP?

Some people in the overclock.net thread are using these monitors with a MBP via a DP->DVI adapter. For the resolutions that these monitors run at, however, you need an active DP -> dual link DVI converter which costs roughly $100.

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

MeruFM posted:

I just got my CrossOver today.
Lucked out this time with 0 dead pixels.
Everything looks smaller. The 27" 2560x1440 has really high pixel density. Maybe a bit higher than my comfort.

Does anyone else have a lovely capacitor though? At max brightness, I can hear a moderately loud hum which is definitely a leaky cap.

Lucky just need 1 brightness level lower to not hear the hum but it worries me.

Other people have fixed the problem by putting some epoxy on the buzzing choke.

http://www.overclock.net/t/1225919/yamakasi-catleap-monitor-club

Look under troubleshooting->monitor buzzing

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Sinestro posted:

Do the Korean 27" monitors have 100x100 or 75x75 VESA holes?

The Catleap is 75x75 and you have to disassemble the monitor to remove the plastic piece obstructing them.

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

teraflame posted:

If you don't care about 120hz just get the Shimian, it has easily accessible vesa mounts and is the cheapest. Crossover has the best stand but comes at a cost, might as well buy the cheaper monitor and get a separate stand from monoprice.

The Shimian is probably the best bet right now, especially considering that several sellers have dropped their prices below $300 with free shipping.

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

DrDork posted:

The Hazro ones have long been considered a pretty decent monitor (that isn't available to anyone outside Europe, so it doesn't get much discussion), and the other two are just generic Korean IPS monitors of the style that've gotten so much discussion here of late. Is there something specific you wanted to know?

I think that the only difference between the Hazro and Shimian is the name on the front.

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Thermopyle posted:

I don't recall off-hand, but they're the absolute cheapest 27 or 30 inch Samsung's you could buy from maybe 5 years ago.

Anyway, I don't have any reason to doubt that the great majority of TVs can turn off overscan...I certainly don't have a large amount of experience with tons of different TVs to say.

They are probably 768p. In many cases you can disable overscan on these displays if you feed then a native 1366x768 signal, but there is no menu option to do it for non-native resolutions.

I have never seen a 1080p TV without the option to turn overscan off. In fact, my Sony LCD doesn't allow you to turn overscan on when feeding it a native 1080p signal.

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

necrobobsledder posted:

Maybe because of VAT eating up the rest of the supposed savings? On the other hand, with what I pay in taxes and various non-state programs overall, I pay more than the average Britton for substantially worse benefits from my state... and I'm in the 2nd highest tax bracket in the US.

The listed price should include VAT.

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

HalloKitty posted:

Oh, so being huge, heavy, smaller visible size than most LCDs available today, often poor geometry that changes with temperature and burn in aren't trade-offs?

Additionally, even the best CRTs look kind of blurry once you are used to the razor sharp text on an LCD running at native resolution.

The_Franz fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Apr 6, 2013

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Ak Gara posted:

How's that going to work anyhow? Is there some kinda expansion slot on the monitor? I recently got a VG248QE so really looking forward to G-Sync.

From the sound of it, the G-Sync module is a full replacement board for the monitor's internal processor. Basically, you need to open the monitor, remove the control board and replace it with the custom module. Whether it's just a matter of plugging in some cables or if it involves some actual wire cutting and/or soldering remains to be seen.

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Ak Gara posted:

I don't know what an LCD controller board looks like but I'm sure they have stuff like VGA/HDMI connectors etc which this doesn't.

It sounds like G-Sync will need a DisplayPort connection since it's a packet based protocol. The connectors on the chassis probably hook up to one of those pin headers.

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

The HDMI 2.1 spec was announced today and it includes "Game Mode Variable Refresh Rate" which i'm guessing is Freesync with a generic name since AMD was working on getting it running via HDMI for a while. If it's part of the spec then just about every display should support adaptive sync by next year :toot:.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Subjunctive posted:

How long has adaptive sync been part of the DP spec?

Whenever 1.2a came out, but it was always declared as optional. The press release didn't mention it as being optional with HDMI 2.1.