Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kuddles
Jul 16, 2006

Like a fist wrapped in blood...

Aardark posted:

Does anyone have experience with this kind of monitor: http://www.amazon.com/AOC-19-Inch-Class-LCD-Monitor/dp/B001PEXNG8/ref=sr_1_17?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1294428908&sr=1-17? I like the design, but I'm wondering if it wouldn't be uncomfortable.
No idea about the quality on that one, but I know someone who owns an Asus model that has a similar design.

The response to the Asus one I linked to either had people being perfectly fine with it or absolutely hating the angle you had to use with it and never getting over it. My advice is not to buy it unless you can see in in real life first.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kuddles
Jul 16, 2006

Paino posted:

The only downsides I can see are lack of HDMI input and (maybe) ghosting/lack of responsiveness in faster games? The former is a hassle but bearable, the latter kind of bothers me. Any U2311H owner can confirm/deny the issue?
I'm not exactly what you would call a competitive gamer, so I can't conclude for sure whether the responsiveness is worse. I haven't noticed anything though, and anyone I've seen who does complain about it in actual games seems to be that extremely competitive type (i.e. Counterstrike all day long).

What I can tell you is what I said in the old monitor thread about 3 months ago when I bought this: I could immediately tell that the color reproduction and contrast was much, much better than the TN panel I was previously using, and I can only notice the ghosting if I concentrate so hard on trying to notice it that I'm no longer actually playing the game.

kuddles
Jul 16, 2006

BLOWTAKKKS posted:

Then again, everyone seems to be happy with 1080p monitors. I don't use glasses and I have 20/20 vision. What the hell?
Are you sure it's not your television? You say it's not but televisions usually aren't built with the expectation of being monitors. Even some of the most high quality HDTVs on the market can lack a good DVI connection or not be very good at displaying crisp text because they're more focused on upscaling SD content or whatever. I have a 37" television but when I run my computer through it the text is certainly not as easily readable as it is on my monitor.

Also, remember that even with you increasing the DPI, the fact remains that every pixel on the screen needs to be bigger to fill 32", so by it's very nature the exact same 1080p image will look sharper on a 23" monitor.

kuddles
Jul 16, 2006

tokki g posted:

Hey, I need a recommendation for a monitor for use at work/lab. ~24" would be nice, 1080p nice but not necessary (would be nice b/c then we can also use the monitor to hook up to our microscopes), USB ports would also be awesome, and ~$150-180. I'm looking at this, but it has no USB ports: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824236059
At that price range, you might want to consider this one instead. It's a newer model of the same line. It comes with a swivel stand and is LED backlit so the contrast will probably be a bit better when it comes to the microscope images.

I doubt you're find one with USB ports, though. At that low of a budget additional ports are one of the first things to get rid of to lower manufacturing costs.

kuddles fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Jan 14, 2011

kuddles
Jul 16, 2006

I highly, highly doubt they will cause a fuss even if they can't replicate the problem. The majority of electronic RMA returns are actually things that work perfectly but user error is causing them. That's the reason there's so many "refurbished" models of things coming out and why a lot of companies charge restocking fees.

There were even tons of instances in the old monitor thread that were essentially things like "Hey my monitor is acting up do you know how long an RMA takes...(2 days later) turned out it was just my power bar/old driver/whatever."

Not that I'm saying you're problem isn't genuine. Just that someone on the other side is going to test the entire thing, not just try and replicate your issue, and that guy probably never even talks to the department that decided to send you a replacement.

kuddles
Jul 16, 2006

vs Dinosaurs posted:

It is hard to tell when internet enthusiasts are sperging about something, ala refresh rates, or if it is something that it fairly noticeable.
It's noticeable, no doubt about that. Whether it's noticeable enough for you to care is another matter.

The Asus I linked to in the last page is pretty decent. I don't own it myself but I bought it for 3 others and other than the typical Asus issues (the manual is barely useful and the menu navigation isn't the greatest), it's got a pretty good screen as far as TN panels go and works fine.

That said, I think why there's no clear recommendation is that the cheap TN market have been refined and mass produced for so long that as long as you don't go insanely cheap and stick to well-known brands (Asus, Acer, Samsung, etc.) it's unlikely you'll end up with a lemon.

kuddles
Jul 16, 2006

It looks like Asus is coming out with new models of it's super-sleek Designo LED-backlit monitors soon, which are exactly the same in design as the current ones on the market except these ones seem to have IPS panels instead of TN. Could be something to watch out for.

kuddles
Jul 16, 2006

DrDork posted:

Because they're an Asian company and apparently the far East has some pretty different ideas on what's aesthetically pleasing than we in the West do. I'd understand if they used the space for speakers or something, but they don't. Also, it looks like only the 22" and 23" are IPS, while the 24" version is MVA for some reason. :iiam: I do like the HDMI to 3.5mm audio jack pass-through feature, though, which I feel more monitors should support. Not a fan of the very limited input options: 1x D-Sub and 1x HDMI and nothing else.
Yeah, this is part of the Asus product line that tries to go the route of Apple in being super stylized for the hell of it, being as light and skinny as possible, and not having a lot of input options. Still, Asus's screen quality is usually pretty decent considering their price, as is their return policy on dead pixels, so I'm mostly curious if there's something we can recommend other than just any old TN panel when someone on a strict budget comes in here asking and can't wait until another random U2311H sale.

kuddles
Jul 16, 2006

Hey, does anyone know of a software tool that allows you to have multiple calibration profiles that you can easily switch between? My desk and entertainment centre are close enough that for some movies or games I use my television attached to my computer, but everything has much more of an orange hue on those circumstances.

kuddles
Jul 16, 2006

Sweet Jesus, I'm a dummy. I guess I've been using Calibrize for so long I forgot that Windows 7 had it's own serviceable calibration tools and didn't even think of checking that. Thanks!

kuddles
Jul 16, 2006

Does anyone here use a U2713HM for gaming around here? I'm thinking of making the jump to a 27" monitor and buying a Dell Ultrasharp hasn't let me down in the past, and I don't do any professional-level color work so the U2713H will probably be overkill for me. The only thing giving me pause is the complaints about "moderate input lag" in reviews, but as usual it's hard to tell if that's something I'm going to notice in real-world circumstances.

kuddles fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Apr 15, 2013

kuddles
Jul 16, 2006

Canine Blues Arooo posted:

I want it to be my gaming monitor, and for relatively spergin reasons, I'd prefer it to be 16:9. Beyond that, I'd like it to be 24", 120hz, TN (Mostly for budget reasons, but ghosting does drive me nuts), and preferably have both HDMI and DVI inputs. My budget is 300-400 dollars, but there is flexibility in that.
There are two monitors that seem to be pretty popular right now for gaming monitors of that size: The Asus VG248QE and the BenQ XL2420T. The Asus (which is actually a 144hz) is the cheaper one and will probably have the least amount of ghosting or lag, but the colors aren't as good* and a lot of people complain about the amount of backlight bleeding on it so it's up to you. The Asus one also has a really reflective bezel which sometimes annoys people. (The panel is matte for both of them.) Some people also complain about the viewing angles on the BenQ.

*Or so I've heard when gamers compare the two. I've actually seen the Asus one in action myself and I think the colors look about as good as you can expect from a TN panel.

kuddles fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Apr 23, 2013

kuddles
Jul 16, 2006

So for any Canadian goons, Dell isn't even promoting it on their sales page but the U2713HM is currently priced at $599. I was already considering it so that was the push I needed.

kuddles
Jul 16, 2006

Tom Guycot posted:

My broader question, that I guess I can't really expect an answer on (but i'll ask anyways) is if people here think its worth going for the larger but messier off brand korean ones over something more known but smaller. Keeping in mind i'm aware of, and ok with a cheap build quality, no osd, and being a bit flimsy, provided its not going to break on me in a week, or be somehow unusable/containing a major visual defect. I'm not a massive gamer, so I'm more interested in them for having a massive amount of desktop and workspace.
It kind of depends exactly how much you think the savings is worth.

If all you want is a crazy big monitor on a budget, then I see nothing wrong with it. I have heard people who loved their decision to go that way.

On the other hand, as others are mentioning, the price gap isn't as big as it seems, especially if you wait for a sale, and it comes with peace of mind of at least some quality control and usually better warranty solutions. I also know plenty of people who went for the Korean panel and eventually regretted their decision. You might think a flimsy stand, the need to use software solutions for color corrections or resolution scaling, and issues with color uniformity or backlight bleeding aren't deal-breakers for you - until you start staring at and using applications on the thing for hours out of every day.

If you do want to go for it, though, I would strongly suggest going with a reseller in North America like Monoprice, for peace of mind that if there is immediately some issue with the product you aren't stuck shipping and insuring the monitor back to Korea at your own expense or getting into an email argument with an ebay seller.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kuddles
Jul 16, 2006

kuddles posted:

So for any Canadian goons, Dell isn't even promoting it on their sales page but the U2713HM is currently priced at $599. I was already considering it so that was the push I needed.
So I've been fooling around with this thing for a few days and have the following thoughts coming from someone who is mostly using it for gaming, internet stuff and light work related tasks.

- Big box! No dead pixels at all. The backlight bleed is a little heavier than I would have liked, but honestly it isn't egregious enough to make me want to go through the hassle of the exchange process.

- I don't know if it's the backlighting, the improved quality or the newer, less intrusive form of anti-glare coating, but this thing makes the colors on my U2411 look dull and drab by comparison. The image pops in a way I've never seen before on a non-glossy display.

- I'm still getting used to the ridiculous amount of free space on my desktop or how small some webpages look. Text still seems big enough and easy to read. I also do a lot of work that involves having several documents open at once and comparing them or working between them, so this is making that task so much easier.

- I do not notice any input lag as far as I can tell, so that's a relief.

- Probably the most negative feelings I had were basically the thing I feared: The bump in resolution compared to everything not implicitly made for that resolution. It reminds me of the 720p video content that looked spectacular on my 37" television that now on my 55" one distracts me with it's color banding and occasional artifacting. Any game that's very recent and had special attention to PC features (such as an HD texture pack) still looks great. Anything not in that boat - the weaknesses stand out much more. Ironically, it's more distracting on newer games because of the transition period we are in, so I'm more likely to notice the mix of sharp and clear textures interspersed with blurrier ones, as opposed to everything having a very similar look. A couple games I ran looked fine but the menus and HUD elements looked pixellated. This is probably something I'll just get used to but I was considering replaying NOLF 2 in the near future and now I'm wondering if I should play it in a window lest I have the experience ruined. 1080p video looks fine on it, though.

- Several hardware/gaming forums I read beforehand gave me the impression that SLI was a given for me but now I'm thinking otherwise. I can see myself always needing the high-end solution (I totally see myself getting the GTX 780 or Titan LE or whatever and then immediately upgrading to the GTX 880 the next year), but I might not need the horsepower I thought. I have a GTX 670 (albeit factory overclocked and with an alternate cooling option) and it seemed to keep up with most games quite well. If anything, I have a feeling the higher resolution removes my older CPU being a bottleneck, because on some titles the benchmark result was almost identical to running at 1080. The only two games that I could not have on the highest possible settings at the 1440p resolution if I wanted a framerate that stayed above 30 were Far Cry 3 and Crysis 3, which was expected. This combined with the fact that on newer titles at least the difference between 2xAA and 4xAA was minimal (not to mention that traditional AA is sometimes not an option these days anyways), I don't think I'll need to break the bank as much as I thought.

To be quite honest, I did not have the immediate super-positive impression that I did when I went to a 24" monitor or a larger television. I certainly like more of my peripheral vision being filled and I can already see how this can assist with having multiple documents open at once or similar tasks that require multiple windows. But it didn't feel like the astronomical difference that maybe I set myself up for. That said, I'm on day three and I think I am growing accustomed to the change.