Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Platystemon posted:

Cyrano is at least theoretically a “Super Mod” rather than an administrator.

I don’t know if that’s enforced by the cold hand of the machine or by the honour system.

Yeah. That lasted for like a week before they said gently caress it and made me an admin. The super mod position is staying and well have more of them but the powers that be needed more admins around.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Oh and SA rank structure: (it’s actually more feudal than military)

Lowtax sits atop a fell throne of poo poo posts.

The admins have site-wide authority. They come in a. Few different flavors, mostly having to do with if they have coding capabilities or not. We’ve actually got a good coder on hand right now which means some things are changing. Admins can probate, ban etc anywhere in the forums but usually restrict themselves to approving the poo poo handed down by mods. Subforum mods know their communities best and they generally are deferred too. Admins can see all forums, including the mod forum and poo poo like the test forum where we can play with poo poo without loving up an actual forum people are using. They get a red icon.

Mods have control of their communities. They have ban/probate privileges in their forums but need approval for anything longer than a day. They set the rules and policies in their forums. Admins take their lead on forum specific poo poo unless something is really really hosed. Mods can see the mod forum and the test forum. They get a blue icon.

IKs are basically deputized posters. They have mod-lite powers. They can queue punishments but only auto approve sizers and are asked to limit their punishments to that. They can’t see the mod forum. Frequently they are for specific high traffic threads that they have special knowledge of or just read a lot. It’s not realistic to expect mods to read every thread in a big forum like GBS, so if there’s one that is just crazy busy that’s where IKs step in. They don’t have a special colored icon.

Super mods are basically forums-wide IKs with a couple of lesser admin powers. They can probate anywhere and are mostly there to just respond to crises where everyone needs a sixer to go have smoke break and calm down until the normal mod for that forum gets home. Other than that they’re identical to mods. We had two but just promoted both of them to admin. Super mod isn’t a promotion pathway to admin, although it happened here. We want a couple of them specifically to take care of super mod jobs so we’ll be finding a couple more sooner or later.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Platystemon posted:

Reene is also a full administrator now?

Yep.

Oh and there’s a really good “ask mods about the forums” thread stickied in A/T right now.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Hexyflexy posted:

It's a loving miracle this places runs as well as it does (and it does run well). Good luck.

Something I’ve been impressed with since I first became a mod is how dedicated and hard working the mod/admin staff is. People there genuinely love their communities and want to make them better and are willing to put in some serious thought and work on that.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yeah. I'm not a coder so I don't know what the gently caress, but some of the notes I've seen about poo poo is kind of bonkers.

You know the WH40k lore about people doing arcane incantations to make the spirits of their guns and tanks work?

That's basically the SAF's codebase.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

"Working Draft - V3"

:laffo:

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

OK, draw a line under this and move on. This thread veers over into foreign / military policy poo poo pretty often but we're now off of that kind of thing and into trump domestic policy bullshit. If you want to talk about that D&D is over there.

If something dramatic happens (as in, really dramatic like poo poo blowing up, not tweets and controversy) then maybe we'll swing back around, but for now go back to arguing about whether the F4 is prettier in USN heritage paint schemes or Japanese anime waifu ones.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Film of the first me262 flight in a while.

I knew this was being worked on but didn’t know they’d flown it.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=8FA1yCfz9s4

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Hexyflexy posted:

A bit more than that, imagine an interceptor, it has to spool up on the ground, gently caress off really fast and then land again, so even at base the engines can't nuke themselves for a couple of hours. Wikipedia says the the Junkers Jumo 004 engine could run for 50 hours, but I don't really trust Wikipedia when it comes to that kind of figure.

btw, I think you might be thinking of the rocket interceptor, that flew for like 7 minutes max flight time. I don't think we'll be seeing anyone doing a reenactment of one of those, bit too explosive.

That's the right number. You have to remember that's total flight time before overhaul. As in 50 hours in the air and then you need to break the engine down completely to service the whole thing, replace consumables, etc. Not just normal maintenance, an overhaul.

That's . . . not good. Time before overhaul hours under 1000 is considered pretty bad these days. IIRC most civilian turbojets are in the 2k ballpark.

I don't know the max flight time of the 262, but the max range was about 650 miles.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

aphid_licker posted:

Where's everyone itt going to discuss the Iran thing now that itt is out? GIP current events thread or somewhere in D&D / CSPAM?

There's a mid east thread in D&D that's 100% about it right now - https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3839774&pagenumber=435#lastpost

If you want something a bit less structured the CSPAM Trump thread is also pretty much all Iran right now - https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3908676&pagenumber=415#lastpost

There's also a dedicated "watch trump start a loving war" thread in CSPAM - https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3843826

If GiP is more your speed their current events thread is looking pretty hard at it right now too - https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3908776&pagenumber=23#lastpost

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Jesus.

Had no idea you felt so strongly about material science.

Here buddy, have some anime jet fighter girls to feel better. :ohdear:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XiK6QBkV0gU

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

does anyone want to take a swing at making an OP for a reboot of this thread? I'm trying to clean house a bit on some of the threads that have been going on since the dawn of time.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

tangy yet delightful posted:

Honest question, do archives still work? I'd hate to lose the resource of searching within this thread.

Yeah, they do.

Oh, and the new OP should link to this thread. I'll edit a link in if they don't.

If anyone wants to highlight some of the best of this thread that can go into the new OP as well, either on day one or down the road as people find poo poo to put in.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

lest you all think I'm not serious, I just rebooted the ELEVEN GODDAMN YEARS OLD WHAT THE CHRIST milsurp thread.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Mortabis posted:

I worry a reboot of this thread would risk turning into more of a current events thread which is a topic best left alone.

Well, someone should make a cool OP that talks about swedish interceptors from the 70s or something.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

I can get behind 1991 as an end date for this thread.

Also gives anyone who wants to write a kick rear end OP time to put their effort hat on.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Splode posted:

Out of curiosity, what is the rationale behind locking old threads and starting new identical threads?

There's a few things.

The most important is that it breaths life into things. A lot of users get really daunted by seeing a 1k+ page thread. It's hard to just jump in and inevitably you find that when they reboot you get a surge of new posters. gently caress, I just recently started actively participating in the GBS OSHA thread after literally years of trying to catch up with the old one. It's easy to say "just skip to the end" but the reality is that people dont.

There's some forums backend stuff that it also helps out with. It's not as necessary as it used to be (once upon a time there was a hard cap that we didn't like to go over) but it's still good practice.

Also forums culture changes over time in subtle and sometimes not subtle ways. Like, a few weeks ago I had a poster PM me a worried message about some hosed up poo poo they saw PCOS Bill post back in like 2014 or something. They were catching up on a thread and didn't realize that they were over five years behind on it and legit thought they needed to make a mod aware of what they thought was really lovely behavior that was uncharacteristic of TFR. So it's generally best to refresh things now and again so that dumb stuff from a decade ago isn't just perpetually hanging out and waiting to cause anther headache, even if it's a short lived "yo that was a long time ago" flavored one.

The first bit is the most important by far though. Keeping threads fresh is a big part of how you make them accessible and welcoming to new posters.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Dunno about F14s but there was a lot of military hardware that the Shah had written a check for that we yoinked. Like the mini-class (only 4 I think?) of Kidd-class destroyers. They'd been basically built (I think were in final fitting?) when the revolution occurred and ended up commissioned into the USN when they coudn't be delivered to Iran for obvious reasons.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

bewbies posted:

pretty sure none of the cleared posters in this thread are ever going to discuss anything classified on the Something Awful Forums, even if asked politely

It’s happened before. GiP iirc.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Captain von Trapp posted:

The realistic fair options are:
1. Let the thread turn into D&D.
2. Keep politics out.

One-sided unidirectional bitchy asides that creep up to the line like a toddler's finger to dog poop are basically #1, except lacking the courage of conviction. I expect the report button would get hit if anyone on the right did the same.

I've said it before in this thread, but we're just in a strange spot where the actual subject material does intersect with politics and real life poo poo. The recent Iran crap is a good example of that. There were some great conversations about airpower related poo poo, and foreign policy and politics begins to get involved at the edges.

Once in a while things begin to get dumb, and that's when I just kind of waltz in and say "hey, pick a new topic for a bit." It's messy and arbitrary but I think it works. For the most part this thread attracts a set of people who can have discussions about foreign policy adjacent and politics adjacent poo poo and keep a level head. Once in a while they even delve into the nakedly political and have a really interesting couple of pages before i have to nudge things.

Here's an analogy I've used before. Any of you ever sneak a couple beers with friends when you were kids? I'm dad, I'm upstairs, and I know 3 teenagers splitting a six pack aren't going to burn the world down. Some kids getting tipsy in the basement is actually probably good, get to know their tolerances and all. If poo poo sounds like it's getting crazy then I have to go down to the basement and yell at the kids and address that whole thing. In a perfect world I'll stay up here and drink a beer of my own and watch the game and the kids can feel like they got away with something.

So what I'm saying is that if you crack a beer be loving cool about it and if you hear dad rattling some cupboard in the kitchen and jiggling the doorknob to the basement simmer down so no one's day has to get ruined. And if dad actually has to come down and ask what the gently caress stop what you were doing and do something low key and quiet for a bit until your buzz wears off.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

That Works posted:

Also in this analogy Cyrano Dad will on occasion get really drunk and lock himself out of the house now and then.

Since the security upgrade cyrano dads keys are an implanted RFID tag and he can’t lock himself out any more :(

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

LtCol J. Krusinski posted:

A long time ago me, Vilerat and Grover had a SIPR mailing list to take D&D discussions to the SECRET//NOFORN level.

It was a good group til we all scattered to the winds.

Jfc really?

This might be the dumbest, most irresponsible SA related thing I’ve heard in the past month

Let that roll around in your head a moment given our last month.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Flikken posted:

Communicating classified discussions on a classified network is irresponsible?

Outside of need to know? Yeah.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

hypnophant posted:

If it's just SECRET then honestly

It doesn’t matter is it’s public trust. If you have a job that involves any level of that poo poo you shouldn’t be blase about spillage concerns.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Smiling Jack posted:

How did the USS Stark track the attacking aircraft but miss the Exocet launches? First warning they had was when a lookout called it in.

The more I read about the US Navy surface warfare capabilities (aforementioned shooting a Turk ship with a sea sparrow, USS Stark, USS Vincennes, ramming incidents) has me convinced it's a goddamn dumpster fire and nothing works.

IIRC it had something to do with the launch detectors being directional in nature? It's been a while since I read up on the technical details. It had to something to do with them commencing a full power run as part of an engine test.

edit: Ok, looking over some old notes it's the STIR that they were in a blind spot for. There were also some questions about why the SRBOC weren't armed earlier than they were, and why the CIWS remained in passive the whole time. They were also under rules of engagement that focused on not getting involved in the Iran/Iraq war.

Fun fact, the radar in that version of the Mirage is the Cyrano IV.

Also the missiles were launched at 22 NM out. I don't know if they were in a radar blind spot or what, but they were also tracking the Iraqi jets via a link from an AWACs. I don't know if the Stark's SLQ-32 had the resolution to track an Exocet sized thing that far out. They did detect the radar lock on, though, although it was kind of last minute.

The report on the formal investigation is online in a redacted format if you google it.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Captain von Trapp posted:

This is a super dangerous way to think. Yes, SECRET is sometimes applied where the actual risk is marginal. But it's also the working level of the operational military, and much of the information it protects would get people killed if released. In any event, the NDA applies without distinction.

There's also the issue of small bits of poo poo as low level as unclass FOUO aggregated together creating a larger picture that can be problematic as gently caress. Then you have additional concerns with PII, both in terms of aggregated poo poo being a security threat and individual poo poo being damaging to the individual.

Basically being blase about security crap is a really, really good way to find yourself looking or a new job that doesn't require a clearance even if we just want to ignore all the actual security threats and just focus on selfish self-preservation.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Smiling Jack posted:

I can only imagine what these dumbasses say in bars.

A friend who has ties to the world of secret squirrels has a good story about that. Some dipshit was talking up a woman in an airport bar before a DC bound flight and had a line like “bet you’ve never seen one of these before” while showing off his agency ID.

Someone in his chain of command happened to be at a table and saw that, tapped him on the shoulder, and told him he looked forward to talking to him in his office on Monday.

Not my story but the source was good so I’ll trust it far enough to have a laugh about it.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

My understanding is that it wasn’t about the expense of a clean slate design, it was about being able to market the aircraft to customers as not needing their pilots to be recertified.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

The LCS is a clusterfuck and a joke at this point.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

Why do they keep building them? The running joke in the yard was that you could shoot a .30-06 in one side of the boat and it would come out the other because the aluminum hull plate was so thin.

Something something congress something keep yards open something pork.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Here's the thing: the ships themselves aren't a terrible idea if you accept that you want a low capability ship to basically show the flag and be a visible presence. The fact that they went whole hog with automation is a problem in that it's made these ships have a gently caress ton of new technology related problems, but the flip side is that it cuts crewing down a lot which is a thing the navy really, REALLY loving needs right now. Like really needs. A lot of people want a huge navy that can respond to anything happening anywhere at the globe at any time with overwhelming force but, uh, they don't want to spend the money to incentive the recruitment that would take. (set aside whether that's a capability the USN either needs or should have, for the moment).

The issue is that at the end of the day you end up with exactly that: low capability vessels that are mostly good at showing the flag and maybe conducting light duty ops. They'd probably be really good at chasing drug smugglers, for example. They'd probably be good at doing freedom of navigation poo poo and trading paint with Chinese and Russian patrol ships. But they're not going to be as capable as a DD, and that seems to be what the people who want this huge navy really want.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

brains posted:

the LCS has been, from start to finish, a textbook boondoggle pork barrel procurement disaster.

THe one silver lining is that there is hope it might end up being an over-produced proof of concept design. If some good technologies re: automation come out in the end and get rolled into future designs that could be a huge benefit for the entire fleet.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Davin Valkri posted:

If that was their intended use, would they not make more sense as cutters for the Coast Guard, rather than combat ships for the Navy?

I kinda think so, but I've heard rumors that the operating cost is eye watering and the CG needs lower maintenance poo poo to fit their budget.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

brains posted:

, congress went full retard

Friendly reminder that TFR's one of the forums that deep sixed "retard" as something we throw around.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Mazz posted:

They were intended to do a bunch of modular tasks for littoral warfare like small boat surface-to-surface action (pirate hunting), minesweeping, minelaying, ASW against diesel boats, etc. This idea was based on modules they could swap in and out per boat to make them flexible. You can still see an FY15 overview of the modules here:
https://www.dote.osd.mil/Portals/97/pub/reports/FY2015/navy/2015lcs.pdf?ver=2019-08-22-105642-770.

The Danes have a system in place called StanFlex that actually does this module swap pretty well, even so far as short length VLS w/ ESSM packages. But the LCS modules completely fell apart and/or the boats just weren't fit for the mission(s). They have exceptionally high top speeds, like ~45 knots burst speed, mainly for the pirate boat/drug suppression work they had planned, but this capability cost a shitload and isn't really useful 99% of the time. You can find this type of imbalanced design all throughout the program. The LCS as originally envisioned weren't intended to be used much in Blue Water tasking, which is why they have no real sensors or weapons suites. The problem was that mission set was really dumb right from the start, and the DoD/MIC just doubled down on the idea for like a decade instead of addressing the growing problems.

The Coast Guard does not need the LCS, they have the NSC, which is not only a more capable boat by most accounts, it's likely the base from which Huntington Ingalls is starting their FFG(X) design from. The NSC was not without it's own range of cost overruns and faults as well, and as Cyrano said the CG certainly' doesn't need 500 million dollar boats with insufficient crew berthing and sustained maintenance issues.

Basically the Navy thought they had this one size fits all solution to a bunch of the green/brown water tasks that got highlighted in the early 2000s COIN focused DoD, and it turns out 1. all those missions are not handled well by 1 boat and 2. certainly not a 500 million dollar Frigate sized speedboat. The late 90s/early 2000s DoD made some colossally terrible designs throughout.

The US has a bad history with planning modular designs that never become modular. It's the same basic story as you see with the Spruance class as well. Supposed to be able to drop in all sorts of neat modules for specific missions, ended up just being built with the capabilities they had and getting upgrades down the road to individual systems like any other ship. End result was a huge as gently caress DD with the capabilities of smaller ones.

Seriously, the fuckers are about the size of a cruiser. The arleigh burke isn't a ton smaller, but it still manages to be a more capable design in about 50 less feet.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Godholio posted:

It would've been fine if we were treating them as real-world tech demonstrators to work the kinks out in low numbers before feeding the now-mature tech into follow-on, higher capability and reliability, lower cost designs. Like Seawolf -> Virginia, or Zumwalt -> something else probably. But we're building the things like we actually expect to use them for something.

They also came around when concurrent design was the big thing. See also: Ford class carriers and the F35

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Nebakenezzer posted:

So guys, the new first post is in reasonable shape.

So you're saying we're in the final countdown?

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

FYI whenever that OP is ready feel free to just post it and I’ll link it to this and close once we’re firmly in 1991

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

New thread here for decadent imperialists