Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
The new OP should probably include Cold War-as-gently caress stories of various equipment or tactics, from various countries, to get the mood right. Nebucadnezzars effort posts, for example.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

slothrop
Dec 7, 2006

Santa Alpha, Fox One... Gifts Incoming ~~~>===|>

Soiled Meat
We should probably argue discuss a new thread for 10 more pages so that the cold war thread can end on page 1991.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
And then it breaks apart and pieces of it are sold cheaply and bunch of really bad posters get a away to resurface later?

Syrian Lannister
Aug 25, 2007

Oh, did I kill him too?
I've been a very busy little man.

Sugartime Jones

slothrop posted:

We should probably argue discuss a new thread for 10 more pages so that the cold war thread can end on page 1991.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Just put a bunch of cool pictures, like this one:

Syrian Lannister
Aug 25, 2007

Oh, did I kill him too?

Sugartime Jones

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

slothrop posted:

IPCRESS
May 27, 2012

I have no idea why, but for dumb reasons, this image reminded me of:

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

IPCRESS posted:

The fuel runs out..... so they send a....jet.

Syrian Lannister
Aug 25, 2007

Oh, did I kill him too?

Sugartime Jones

IPCRESS posted:

This looks amazing

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Orion, this is Sperglord Actual.
Come on home.
My contribution to a new thread, shamelessly stolen from the internet

If you don't like the bone you can just :getout:

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer
woops

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

https://twitter.com/danielmkim/status/1214559930499231744

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Cyrano4747 posted:

Well, someone should make a cool OP that talks about swedish interceptors from the 70s or something.

:jerkbag:

The "Swedish interceptors from the 70s were good" thing is just a canard.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

I support the wall coming down in 1991.

Got a lot of good memories ITT. My personal favorite is when we were talking about volcanic eruptions and a climate scientist kindly educated me on some stuff I'd been wondering about

Vahakyla posted:

The new OP should probably include Cold War-as-gently caress stories of various equipment or tactics, from various countries, to get the mood right. Nebucadnezzars effort posts, for example.

OK, well, here are some of mine. There are fuckin' scads of good effortposts ITT. One that leaps to mind is a British dude explaining WTF nuclear weapons and why MIRVs kinda killed gigantic bombs and that's not a good thing

list of SSBNs, historical and current

Beloved Doc: 1970s ICBM basing options

The tenth time I was put on a government watch list

CNN's official video to play in case "the world ends"

Kirov class battlecruiser infodump 1

Kirov Class Battlecruiser infodump 2

Kirov class the Third: plus the Ural, one of many peaks of 1980s USSR rot

JcDent posted:

A maybe more on topic question: so USSR has T-64, T-72 and T-80 being produced at the same time. What should be cut out/left out to optimize the tank production?

Nebakenezzer posted:

A few months ago, Xerxes17 in the mil history thread did some excellent effort posts on Soviet tank development. While the products were sometimes revolutionary (T-64) or quite useful (T-72) the story does talk about a poo poo-ton of needless competition, political shenanigans, and a process that has the Soviet Union fielding three MBTs with nothing common between them.

The T-64

Object 172 Aka, T-72 “Straight outta Nihzny Tagil Ft. Leonid Kartsev”

The T-80: Explosion at the Soviet Haywire Factory

If that's all TL;DR:

Stairmaster posted:

Don't bother with the T-80 at all in the first place. Stop the T-64 production once the T-72 variants are on par(So around the T-72B).

On why Zombies are dumb, a microbiological perspective:

That Works posted:

I'll try not to write a whole essay on it but it's a fun teaching tool.

Your 1st assumption is right, without energy, cells die. Muscle fibers need ATP to contract to let things move. To make ATP you need mitochondria to undergo respiration. To undergo respiration you need oxygen and glucose (for human cells). To get oxygen and glucose to muscle cells you need a circulatory system. But, that's not quite correct. Muscle cells can undergo fermentation (producing lactic acid) instead. However, this only lasts for the most part until blood glucose supply is exhausted. Actually, you can start breaking down proteins and other components into short carbon chains to ferment as well.

So a couple of assumptions, zombies don't need a circulatory system, they don't 'bleed out' so, they must be undergoing fermentation. Queue an entire segue into how your body processes fermentation end products and cleans up stuff from that out of your cells via the liver and kidneys. Again, this kinda doesn't work well on a system level without circulation and breathing. So, without those its up to the individual cells to function and last as long as they can, cannibalizing themselves. Some back of the napkin math works out to even a slow moving shambling zombie only lasting an hour or less at absolute maximum conditions before so many individual cells cannibalize their own contents down into inactivity. This would require an aggressive reprogramming of normal cellular metabolism that we currently don't do.

There's a lot of sidebars there I use to get into other metabolic stuff, ie how the body uses CO2 normally to buffer the blood and ensure a fairly constant pH, and how your breathing rate affects that to keep that pH balance in a very narrow range.

The end result is that if you forced cells to individually do something they are evolutionarily not built for they could run for~1h in overly ideal situations but would leave behind a completely destroyed husk of half pickled dead human flesh.

Nebakenezzer posted:

To get away from depression and Trump:

https://twitter.com/wyatt_privilege/status/919173846015594496/photo/1

Why in the name of God does the Air Force have official anime swords?

Nebakenezzer posted:

Hey, *I* was going to post a very long article, in this case, Russia's fascist inspiration:

http://www.nybooks.com/daily/2018/03/16/ivan-ilyin-putins-philosopher-of-russian-fascism/

I don't have a bead on who Putin is aside from an increasingly sloppy megalomaniac, so seeing him recycle an Orthodox Russian philosopher that was super into Hegel, taught by the originater of phenomenology, Edmund Husserl, became ideological buds with friggin' Lenin after the revolution, endorsed a form of Christianity that said "truth is a lie, and God is a feeble fuckup" then went fascist, (first Italian, later Nazi) and then had the good sense to move to Switzerland before the war started, and who throughout WW2 was cheering on the Germans as they attacked the USSR, and if anything became even more extreme after world war two is, ah, interesting.

Nebakenezzer posted:

OK, so Ivan Ilyin, this intellectual managed to combine fascist-style mystic Russian nationalism, fascist hostility to law and rational government, some assumptions that make communists nod in agreement, and a incredibly bizarre religious take. Here is a fascist who never really understood the joke of "there being no truth, and that is a Truth." The cash value of this insanity is that the dude believed "the ends justify any means" and "human life is as worthless as truth" (and that is a truth.) I've no idea how much Putin and co actually believe in this poo poo, but if you want to justify government-less authoritarianism combined with mythical nationalism and justification to do literally whatever you want , his thinking is useful, right down to his sex anxiety. His essays have been given to officials, and Putin has quotes him frequently in speeches. If you think fascism is an aesthetic political movement, then Ilyin appears to be a major style influence in the current government.

Nebakenezzer posted:

It's totally true that the only reason the type hasn't been given up is that it allows shorty carriers of dubious utility

A few years ago now Mr. Chips in the AI thread posted a neat but sadly incomplete history of VSTOL:

The Triumph of Thrust Over Gravity (and Sense) – A Brief Account of the (Unfortunate) History of Vertical Takeoff Aircraft

Part One – The First (Mis)Steps
Part Two - More Engines, Many More Problems
Part Three – Lots of Money Chasing Lots of Bad Ideas

Maybe if we ask nice Mr. Chips will talk about acceptable bribes to get him to finish part four, "Everyone Loses Their Minds (Especially the Soviets)"

Nebakenezzer posted:

The Cold War thread, a few years ago talked about this. There's a 1950s training film on youtube called "A Day Called X", a full dress rehearsal evacuation of - Portland, Or? A city on the West Coast. Anyway, by the video's account anyway, the evacuation was successful. Even people in hospitals and such were evacuated to designated areas - the entire municipal government also had a nuclear hardened shelter in under a mountain to coordinate, with several officials having the full-time job of evacuation planning. As part of the planning, they also evacuated all the city's utility trucks to help in disaster relief and reconnection of services.

This whole thing took four hours of course, and I'll let you and other readers ITT decide if that's remotely plausible. In the early/mid 1950s, the weapons were intercontinental bombers which would drop one or two massive multi-megaton bombs. Four hours was really a worst case scenerio - likely warning would have been even longer than that. What's more, you had additional things playing in your favor: Air defense with NORAD had a realistic chance of knocking down a fair number of attackers, and bombs can of course be mis-aimed, making even an actual realized attack less effective.

Two things changed about this 'rosy' scenario: ICBMs and the consequent miniaturizing of nuclear weapons. (This is why nuclear bomb research post 1960 switches from 'bigger bombs' to 'smaller bombs, both in yield and size.') Now, your warning shrinks to...well, it depends, Half an hour seems the norm, though a percentage of missiles were kept on 15 minute alert. Certain scenarios (like a 'decapitation strike') have an 8 minute warning? Even the president is getting killed by that one unless he's on an idling AF1 ready for takeoff. Also as ICBMs carried more warheads and the numbers of weapons went up to the thousands, every city and target of value is getting plastered with warheads; accurate targeting and the number of warheads on a given city means that everybody is gettin' killed as it turns out 6-8 near simultaneous strikes is much more efficient at putting people in the 'pray for swift death' zone of the blast then 15 megatons liberally applied.

If you look up Life magazine in Google books, you'll see that in the early 1960s, people are still scheming for civil defense plans (and just FYI, I think a lot of the illustrations they used ended up influencing the original Fallout artists/designers.) Knowing what we know now, it's clear that the people making these plans really only expect something like 10-15% of the people properly sheltered to survive. And this was in the early 60s.

Nebakenezzer posted:

Thyre be dragons:

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

I can get behind 1991 as an end date for this thread.

Also gives anyone who wants to write a kick rear end OP time to put their effort hat on.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Any new op needs Genies, SR71s doing ATC speed checks, and unrealistic ejection scenarios.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

Schadenboner posted:

:jerkbag:

The "Swedish interceptors from the 70s were good" thing is just a canard.

There also aren't a lot of tails to tell about them.

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

As we prepare to say goodbye to this thread, I would like to thank it for providing the most perfect pun lay-ups one could hope to ask for.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Wingnut Ninja posted:

There also aren't a lot of tails to tell about them.

:vince:

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

put some clothes on you little freak

Cyrano4747 posted:

I can get behind 1991 as an end date for this thread.

Also gives anyone who wants to write a kick rear end OP time to put their effort hat on.

Out of curiosity, what is the rationale behind locking old threads and starting new identical threads?

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Splode posted:

Out of curiosity, what is the rationale behind locking old threads and starting new identical threads?

The Cold War ended in 1991 with the collapse of the Soviet Union.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Splode posted:

There's a few things.

The most important is that it breaths life into things. A lot of users get really daunted by seeing a 1k+ page thread. It's hard to just jump in and inevitably you find that when they reboot you get a surge of new posters. gently caress, I just recently started actively participating in the GBS OSHA thread after literally years of trying to catch up with the old one. It's easy to say "just skip to the end" but the reality is that people dont.

There's some forums backend stuff that it also helps out with. It's not as necessary as it used to be (once upon a time there was a hard cap that we didn't like to go over) but it's still good practice.

Also forums culture changes over time in subtle and sometimes not subtle ways. Like, a few weeks ago I had a poster PM me a worried message about some hosed up poo poo they saw PCOS Bill post back in like 2014 or something. They were catching up on a thread and didn't realize that they were over five years behind on it and legit thought they needed to make a mod aware of what they thought was really lovely behavior that was uncharacteristic of TFR. So it's generally best to refresh things now and again so that dumb stuff from a decade ago isn't just perpetually hanging out and waiting to cause anther headache, even if it's a short lived "yo that was a long time ago" flavored one.

The first bit is the most important by far though. Keeping threads fresh is a big part of how you make them accessible and welcoming to new posters.

Tythas
Oct 3, 2013

Never felt at home in reality
Always hiding behind avatars

Iran just attacked an Airbase in Iraq

https://twitter.com/Mahdiibakhtiari/status/1214683353540186112?s=20

https://www.cnn.com/2020/01/07/politics/rockets-us-airbase-iraq/index.html

Captain von Trapp
Jan 23, 2006

I don't like it, and I'm sorry I ever had anything to do with it.
Per thread rules and not beating a dead horse, not going to say anything political. But I bet there's a whole lot going on in air defense artillery.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Orion, this is Sperglord Actual.
Come on home.

Captain von Trapp posted:

Per thread rules and not beating a dead horse, not going to say anything political. But I bet there's a whole lot going on in air defense artillery.

The unfortunate part is outside of dedicated Patriot locations we’re kind of terrible at it

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Cyrano4747 posted:

There's a few things.

The most important is that it breaths life into things. A lot of users get really daunted by seeing a 1k+ page thread. It's hard to just jump in and inevitably you find that when they reboot you get a surge of new posters. gently caress, I just recently started actively participating in the GBS OSHA thread after literally years of trying to catch up with the old one. It's easy to say "just skip to the end" but the reality is that people dont.

There's some forums backend stuff that it also helps out with. It's not as necessary as it used to be (once upon a time there was a hard cap that we didn't like to go over) but it's still good practice.

Also forums culture changes over time in subtle and sometimes not subtle ways. Like, a few weeks ago I had a poster PM me a worried message about some hosed up poo poo they saw PCOS Bill post back in like 2014 or something. They were catching up on a thread and didn't realize that they were over five years behind on it and legit thought they needed to make a mod aware of what they thought was really lovely behavior that was uncharacteristic of TFR. So it's generally best to refresh things now and again so that dumb stuff from a decade ago isn't just perpetually hanging out and waiting to cause anther headache, even if it's a short lived "yo that was a long time ago" flavored one.

The first bit is the most important by far though. Keeping threads fresh is a big part of how you make them accessible and welcoming to new posters.

That's a lot of words to say "new decade new thread"

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

I sucked a dick for bus fare and then I walked home.

Anybody got a good breakdown on Iranian SRBM forces or should I just wiki it?

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

Smiling Jack posted:

I've seen early analysis that these are probably Fateh-110 missiles, but we should all doubt everything for now.

e: That particular missile is believed to be a multi-generational development with ancestry back to the Soviet era Luna-M missile, which is cold war as gently caress.

glynnenstein fucked around with this message at 01:49 on Jan 8, 2020

Captain von Trapp
Jan 23, 2006

Mazz posted:

The unfortunate part is outside of dedicated Patriot locations we’re kind of terrible at it

Honestly I was more thinking about whoever the poor Iranian grunts are who're manning their air defense. Whether anything happens or not, they're definitely earning their pay.

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

Mazz posted:

Patriot and the SM-2 are world class when it comes to long range air defense.
The ESSM is a damned good medium range SAM.
Stinger and RAM are excellent short range air defenses.

It's medium range stuff on land we're terrible at until a system to do the job gets rolled out.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
man, i was reading twitter (i know) and it is kind of surprising just how badly misinformed the entire planet seems to be about patriot

Smiling Jack posted:

https://www.dia.mil/Portals/27/Documents/News/Military%20Power%20Publications/Iran_Military_Power_LR.pdf

based on the very blurry video from CNN, they are almost certainly f110 missiles. they're solid fuel motors, being launched off the vertical, and assuming the reports of them hitting something as small as an airbase (and only the airbase) are accurate, that rules out the bigger unguided rockets.

bewbies fucked around with this message at 02:42 on Jan 8, 2020

Captain von Trapp
Jan 23, 2006

bewbies posted:

man, i was reading twitter (i know) and it is kind of surprising just how badly misinformed the entire planet seems to be about patriot

Nobody understands anything about missiles, much less missile defense. National media outlets and expert(?) pundits regularly make statements that are not merely wrong but defy the laws of physics.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
I once got a phone call from a well meaning guy in Syria asking how to “call for fire” from the Patriot forces two countries away.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb
So, this is only going to get worse and stupid...er, right? Please tell me my expert analysis is wrong.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Captain Log posted:

So, this is only going to get worse and stupid...er, right? Please tell me my expert analysis is wrong.

Right now, your guess is as good as any. But that's roughly in line with what just about everyone else believes.

raverrn
Apr 5, 2005

Unidentified spacecraft inbound from delta line.

All Silpheed squadrons scramble now!

Captain Log posted:

https://twitter.com/aliarouzi/status/1214723068377096195

Your expert analysis may possibly be wrong.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb
What response could they have that would be, “crushing?” Iran has always been known for their extremely bombastic view towards words.

Slo-Tek
Jun 8, 2001

WINDOWS 98 BEAT HIS FRIEND WITH A SHOVEL

Captain Log posted:

What response could they have that would be, “crushing?” Iran has always been known for their extremely bombastic view towards words.

Whipping those IRBMs at Saudi oil infrastructure would probably make a pretty serious mess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

A contract signed by a minor is not binding!

Captain Log posted: