Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Buttcoin purse
Apr 24, 2014

Mortabis posted:

Are there any good military/aviation museums in the San Jose area that I should see? I'll be in and out of there about once a month over the next year, so time's not really an issue.

Nike Missile (nuclear SAM) Site SF-88 is just over the other side of the Golden Gate bridge if you don't mind driving up to San Francisco. It used to be that if you went on the right day of the month, you could ride the platform up from the underground bunker and then watch them elevate the missile into firing position, I don't know if they still do that but I thought it was pretty impressive. You could check out the old control trailers, etc. too.

For all I know there are lots of other things to see in the area, I just didn't look.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Buttcoin purse
Apr 24, 2014

That Works posted:

I played the Nighthawk simulator and bombed Tripoli several thousand times.

Thanks to Microprose I had heard of most of the city names mentioned in news commentary on the Arab Spring.

I can't believe there aren't more Google search results for "SAM radar at Tripoli". It must have been the first mission after you installed or created a new pilot or something, I seemed to always be doing that one.

simplefish posted:

or https://archive.org/details/Dsdemo - "Tornado: Operation Desert Storm Demo" - I don't know if that's a sequel or what)

It was an extra theater for the original game that was added later. I could never find a way to buy it separately, rather than just buying the game over again, but apparently it was available.

I think the theaters in Tornado all seemed pretty small, and the Desert Storm map didn't seem to obviously correspond to any (small) part of Iraq I was familiar with, it seemed more like a palette swap of one of their other generic maps to make it brown instead of green. I could be wrong though. It was a pretty cool game anyway, even if you couldn't be like "TAKE THIS SADDAM I'M BLOWING UP YOUR CROSSED SWORDS AND BOMBING SOME OF YOUR CAMELS" like in [edit: the less technically detailed] F-15 Strike Eagle III.

Buttcoin purse
Apr 24, 2014

That was awesome.

quote:

Was that a level of Sopwith I didn't get to? :classiclol:

Buttcoin purse
Apr 24, 2014

Guys stop fighting about imaginary poo poo when real poo poo is about to go down in just over a week much closer to home!

Jade Helm lol

Buttcoin purse
Apr 24, 2014

Davin Valkri posted:

I think it's a tone issue. Like, I personally wouldn't mind climbing all over an old F-4 or trying to stuff my super long legs in the back of a BMP-1 or Mi-24, but when one of your advocates says something like “In Soviet times the army was a distant, faraway thing, but now we all feel closer to the army. The army is being romanticised and I see that as a good thing...If we don’t educate our own children then America will do it for us … like we have seen in Ukraine,” it's a bit...odd? Like, the American equivalent might sound similar (depending on the motivations of the board of directors), but I'd be willing to bet that the press statements they put out would be something closer to "it's important for us to preserve the artifacts of these conflicts, so that future young Americans will remember they happened and (not take our freedoms for granted/be able to learn from historical perspective/be more informed about similar issues in the future -- delete as appropriate)."

Maybe the US version of this indoctrination is more subtle? I don't know, but I'm done with the forums for today, I'm off to play America's Army :v:

Buttcoin purse
Apr 24, 2014

wkarma posted:

Took me a while to notice the nose wheel behind the sign and see what they did there. It feels like I've seen this before due to a bug in a Microprose game!

quote:

peacemakin.

:eyepop: I guess if you go somewhere that has one of those they probably have one of just about everything else too?

Buttcoin purse
Apr 24, 2014

Forums Terrorist posted:

It's okay, he'll be horribly injured when his 35 year old fighter falls apart from under him.

I hope a wing doesn't fall off, that'd be terrible :v:

Buttcoin purse
Apr 24, 2014

inkjet_lakes posted:

Part of the reason for them surrendering was that they were protecting a civilian British Antarctic Survey crew whom they didn't want to see massacred

I was inspired to read about this on Wikipedia after the original post about it, and it said:

quote:

The new rules of engagement authorized Mills to "fire in self defence, after warning". A later statement from the British government instructed the marines to "not resist beyond the point where lives might be lost to no avail."

Buttcoin purse
Apr 24, 2014

At 1:55 why are they all firing some kind of old-looking machine guns into the air??

Buttcoin purse
Apr 24, 2014

ricepaddydaddy posted:

Indirect fire using Grenade launchers ?

Oh of course :imstupid:

Buttcoin purse
Apr 24, 2014

Thanks for explaining how centrifuges relate to nuclear stuff, it explains Stuxnet for me!

Buttcoin purse
Apr 24, 2014

iyaayas01 posted:

Right now our standoff fleet consists of ancient CALCMs (only capable of being carried by even older B-52s), relatively short-ranged JASSM (JASSM-ER will fix this somewhat as it starts to come online but even then it isn't that long ranged), and the Navy's Tomahawks which requires the target to be within range of the ocean (also we've stopped buying Tomahawks and have no plans to procure a replacement until a decade+ from now). Also I suppose technically the JSOW but I don't consider a glide-bomb to be a "stand-off" weapon even if it is in the name.

What about SLAM-ER? I get that it's also probably not fast enough to defeat SAMs, but it does still exist, right?

Buttcoin purse
Apr 24, 2014

standard.deviant posted:

Yeah, according to that first story apparently the Patriot datalink is just like something you would get at Best Buy. Somehow that doesn't seem quite right.

Wouldn't it be reasonable to imagine there's like a Cisco or some other regular brand router in there somewhere? I mean defense contractors don't have to reinvent every civilian wheel do they?

Godholio posted:

so demoralized by radar jamming

Did the Russians jam all the TV stations other than Fox News? Those inhuman bastards :argh:

Buttcoin purse
Apr 24, 2014

:lol:

quote:

Qiao argued that Mugabe had provided his people with a much better standard of living than citizens of Syria, Iraq or Afghanistan. “It’s much better than Libya too,” he added.

The bar is set pretty low. They should rename it to the "not quite as bad as Hitler" award.

Buttcoin purse
Apr 24, 2014

Pretty sure this was my first military aviation book :love: I have the 1991 edition (it's Copyright 1983 though, so maybe not the same as the original), which has what looks like exactly that diagram but without the horizontal plane and axes and with the title different.

Dark Helmut posted:

That Comanche game had the rear end-iest graphics ever.

What the hell? I remember at around this time playing Spectrum Holobyte's Falcon 3.0 (1991), which had polygons for terrain, Microprose's F-15 Strike Eagle III (1992), which had a textured ground but the mountains were all still polygons, and then Comanche (also 1992) where you could fly through these nice green canyons with rivers. I'm not saying voxels are awesome but at the time it looked pretty nice to me! I think it was a big improvement that the side of a mountain wasn't entirely the one color.

Buttcoin purse
Apr 24, 2014

iyaayas01 posted:

the gunship lost the ability to transmit/receive on mIRC

Did an @op /kick them from #war? :v:

Seriously I can't Google this, what is this?

Buttcoin purse
Apr 24, 2014

The future of combat:

[03:31:27] <2/1BDE_BAE_FSE> IMMEDIATE Fire Mission, POO, Grid 28M MC 13245 24512, Killbox 32AY1SE, POI GRID 28M MC 14212 26114, Killbox 32AY3NE, MAX ORD 8.5K
[03:31:28] <CRC_Resolute> a/s/l?

Godholio posted:

Our mIRC familiarization training explicitly said not to slap users with a fish.

Well that preempted my next question.

mlmp08 posted:

I leave the shelter for thirty seconds and come back to a phone call blowing me up because the trout slap is not an authorized function. Thanks, PFC asshat.

What the hell, it's not like you can't customize this stuff. I should know, I spent way too long scripting mIRC. Why don't they just remove the slap command to remove the temptation? I'd be happy to do this for a few million (before cost blowouts).

Buttcoin purse
Apr 24, 2014

Godholio posted:

The reason you got snapped at is that it's a LOT more complicated than that. Being "stealth" isn't about being invisible, it's about decreasing detection ranges. An F-22 isn't undetectable...but it can get a lot closer than a non-stealthy aircraft can. Example: Radar X can detect an F-15 nose-on at 75 nm, but won't detect an F-22 until 15 nm. That gives the F-22 an impressive advantage on taking the first shot, and that's usually what determines who wins. Saying that it's optimized in the front aspect isn't very insightful (it's Discovery trying to sound smart about things they don't know), because of course that's the most important angle. If your fighters are going to sweep away the enemy fighters, they're going to be flying nose-to-nose. Of course you want that to be your best angle for being low-observable. I bet both the YF-22 and YF-23 were optimized from the front.

It'd be cool if, after you've blown up some of the enemy's stuff and they've realized you're there, they had trouble finding you from behind while you're getting the hell out of there, too? I guess that wouldn't be the primary goal though.

cl_gibcount 9999 posted:

it's just collateral slapping, these things are inevitable

No, it's not inevitable - use blue force tracking to avoid blue force slapping.

Buttcoin purse
Apr 24, 2014

Godholio posted:

Threats that are behind you are significantly less threatening. Instead of flying right at the incoming threat (missile, airplane, whatever) you're hauling rear end in the opposite direction. Next time you're on a long stretch of highway, pick out an oncoming car a mile or so away. Keep track of about how long it takes you to pass him. Now do the same thing but with a car on your side. Now pretend that you only had enough fuel to run your motor for a few seconds and had to coast the rest of the way.

Fair enough. I guess everyone's front-line planes have similar-enough top speeds?

Buttcoin purse
Apr 24, 2014

B4Ctom1 posted:

This is amazing. I wish it was in soft cover
http://warisboring.com/articles/i-still-cant-see-him/

Looks good, thanks! I guess this will force me to use that Kindle, I wonder if its battery still does anything.

Buttcoin purse
Apr 24, 2014

They must have all been launching scientific payloads into orbit, unless it was just

Arrath posted:

One big cocktease of a video.

Buttcoin purse
Apr 24, 2014

Plinkey posted:

Why LO though? Is is that easy to shoot down a cruise missile dropped from a bomber?

I don't know how easy it is, but CIWS is gonna try, right?

Disclaimer: I don't actually know anything.

Buttcoin purse
Apr 24, 2014

evil_bunnY posted:

Yeah I've read enough stories of undertrained humans planting perfectly good aircraft into the ground to pick the drat computer every time.

But have you ever used a computer? :v:

UNRECOVERABLE AIRCRAFT ERROR

Terminating current aircraft.

[OK]

Windows 3.0

Edit: Did someone post here, or maybe in Aeronautical Insanity, some cartoon where the autopilot ejects from the plane? This came to mind when I was thinking about what the end of this bit of code is going to look like:

code:
if (everything is going fine) {
} else if (one engine failed) {
} else if (all engines failed and radar altimeter failed and GPS failed) {
} else if (in-flight entertainment system failed and toilets failed and all communication systems failed) {
} else { /* oops, some situation occurred that we didn't think of,
            such as 1 yard not being exactly equal to 1 meter */
  ???
}

Buttcoin purse fucked around with this message at 05:23 on Dec 30, 2015

Buttcoin purse
Apr 24, 2014

ALL-PRO SEXMAN posted:

I volunteer on the Midway

:swoon: :cheers: :cheerdoge:

You know how they say no good deed goes unpunished, well..

I was going to ask if you knew which helos these cockpit pictures were from, but then I think I figured it out anyway:

I guess the "611" probably means it's the SH-3 because the first picture at http://www.midwaysaircraft.org/acft/SH3.htm shows that on the outside of the airframe (at a junkyard?!).

I finally noticed the "73" above the dummy's knee, the first pic at http://www.midwaysaircraft.org/acft/h46.htm has that on the side of it, and I guess that's the number that HH-46 had when the Midway Museum got it because that picture is dated 2004 and http://www.aerialvisuals.ca/AirframeDossier.php?Serial=462 says that's the year it was transferred.

So yeah my one complaint is that http://www.midway.org/ doesn't have much detail to help me when I can't remember what the aircraft or room I took a photo of is, I wish I could have spent a few more hours there!

Buttcoin purse
Apr 24, 2014

I was hoping the fur in furaffinity didn't mean what I think it meant but it did, and because the links were broken I just clicked around a bit to try to find the relevant pictures but saw a picture of a wolf in a bikini so now I'm dead :suicide:

Buttcoin purse
Apr 24, 2014

chitoryu12 posted:

I've been to the Intrepid several times on my regular trips up to NYC. It's almost literally a floating town, as it was designed for a crew of 2600. These are some pictures I took this past Thanksgiving weekend that should give an idea of its size.

USS Midway is worth a visit too. From the above pictures, Midway might look more like a real carrier since it doesn't have pavilions built all over it! These were my attempts to capture how high it was:

This is taken from the walkway you use when leaving, which is above the ground/dock level. Includes bonus EA-6B tail :911: :

There's a docent or someone almost under the blue entrance awning in the middle of the picture above if that helps with the scale (maybe it's ALL-PRO SEXMAN?). Just look at all the levels of catwalks.

From or near ground/dock level, with the walkway you use to leave almost directly above me:

Buttcoin purse
Apr 24, 2014

hobbesmaster posted:

All of which is negated when it turns on its TACAN signal so the fighters can find it.

Maybe in the future (or now) it can beam its location up to a satellite using a directional antenna, so nobody is likely to notice it's radiating unless they're above it, and then the satellite broadcasts its location update (and everyone else's), but it's encrypted? I mean it sounds easy to me and for a few billion dollars I'm sure something that works half the time could be deployed (if it doesn't already exist).

Disclaimer: I don't actually know anything about anything, please don't flame me too badly.

hogmartin posted:

What if you could get it to fly itself into the battle? Call it an... Aerosomething...

Great idea, could you please make a VTOL AeroGavin-B variant? - The Marines

Buttcoin purse
Apr 24, 2014

priznat posted:

This dude owns

He was behind the accidental destruction of the B-29 "Kee Bird" though, I think in this thread or Aeronautical Insanity I remember reading suggestion that that work was probably rushed way more than it had to be.

Buttcoin purse
Apr 24, 2014

LostCosmonaut posted:

Isn't there some theory that K-129 was rammed by an American sub, and in response the Soviets sent an Echo II to sink Scorpion?

Intentionally ramming another sub seems kinda dangerous, like what if our sub also gets damaged and we also die, or do you get like a bull bar fitted to the sub when you're going out on one of these missions? :psyduck:

Buttcoin purse
Apr 24, 2014

Thanks for the EMP chat. Now I don't feel so much like I ought to be a prepper :v:

Just out of morbid curiosity, what happens to people who have pacemakers metal plates in them? I'm assuming a pacemaker would be bad, a metal plate probably no big deal?

Buttcoin purse
Apr 24, 2014

B4Ctom1 posted:

MOH citation
http://homeofheroes.com/moh/citations_living/ii_a_zeamer.html

From https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jay_Zeamer,_Jr.

I read somewhere that this plane was field modified with several extra 50 BMG positions, but not familiar with any site that confirms it but this video recreation states it had 6 extra machine-guns
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Im086TCu3I

Its Wikipedia page says:

quote:

Captain Zeamer, who had been unable to acquire a new bomber of his own because of discipline problems within the crew, had the bomber towed out of the 'bone yard' and, with enormous effort, not only restored the badly battered aircraft to flight status but made many changes.

They included increasing the number of machine guns from 13 to 19, replacing the waist gunners' standard single guns with twin guns, replacing all .30 cal machine guns with the larger and more powerful .50 cal, and adding a fixed-position gun that could be fired from the pilot's station. Zeamer's crew put guns where they did not even need them, and left spare machine guns on the aircraft's catwalk; if a gun jammed at a critical moment they could dump it and quickly replace it. They also mounted a gun behind the ball turret near the waist. These modifications made Old 666 the most heavily armed bomber in the Pacific Theater.

That page was already in my browser history for some reason, I don't know where I heard about them before. I checked my copy of MacArthur's Eagles: The U.S. Air War over New Guinea, 1943-1944 but couldn't Zeamer, Sarnoski or Old 666 in the index :shrug:

Buttcoin purse
Apr 24, 2014

McNally posted:

My understanding is that when a carrier pilot touches down on the deck, he goes full throttle in case he missed the wires or the wire breaks.

..and the deceleration experienced while waiting for the wire to break wasn't such that you're not going to get far once you leave the deck again. I'm pretty sure one of the old pilots at the USS Midway :911: Museum said that you had a good chance of ending up in the drink if a wire broke. I guess you don't have long to work out whether you can save it or if you need to eject either.

Buttcoin purse
Apr 24, 2014

mlmp08 posted:

Also lol at LHA air defense: dudes standing on the deck with stingers.

I guess that's how I played the Battlefield 1942 mod Desert Combat (and in fact if you replace LHA with CV and stinger with bazooka, how I played Battlefield 1942), are you saying this is literally standard doctrine? :v:

Buttcoin purse
Apr 24, 2014

Here's some pictures of an Electronic Warfare Officer's station on a B-52 as displayed at March Field Air Museum. If you search the web for some of the designations of the systems, e.g. AN/ALQ-122, you get some information about what they are, and sometimes links to Google Books. It looks a lot like the labels were scratched off for some of the knobs so I guess it's still classified that they go up to 11 :v:

http://imgur.com/a/gSCgM

Buttcoin purse
Apr 24, 2014

MrChips posted:

SNCASE (Sud-Est) SE.212 Durandal

I looked it up, and no, Wikipedia doesn't lead me to believe that its service history has anything in common with the Matra Durandal runway-cratering munition :v:

Buttcoin purse
Apr 24, 2014

Nebakenezzer posted:

American
  • Harrier and the horrible, horrible shorty carriers they inspired

Ignoring the carriers, but didn't the Harrier work okay for the British in the Falklands? Is that just a common misconception or were you specifically saying the Harrier was bad for the US, but not bad for the UK?

Buttcoin purse
Apr 24, 2014

C-5's maximum takeoff weight is 5x that of an AC-130, so the AC-5 can have 5 howitzers right? This sounds like a good way to prosecute Operation: Useless Dirt.

Buttcoin purse
Apr 24, 2014

Cyrano4747 posted:

Not quite. There was some congressional resolution that the last two in that class (Iowa and . . . Wisconsin I think?) in 2007 or so that they be kept "in a state of readiness."

Iowa and Wisconsin is what the Iowa page on Wikipedia says. So they picked Iowa in 1999, even though in 1995 "Due to Iowa’s damaged turret, the Navy selected New Jersey for placement into the mothball fleet, even though the training mechanisms on New Jersey's 16-inch (406 mm) guns had been welded down. The cost to fix New Jersey was considered less than the cost to fix Iowa; as a result, New Jersey and Wisconsin were reinstated to the Naval Vessel Register and placed back in the reserve fleet."

So is one of the turrets on the New Jersey or Missouri in a state of readiness to be transplanted onto the Iowa if it needs to be reactivated?

Buttcoin purse
Apr 24, 2014

bewbies posted:

it really looks like the bowels of the midway or intrepid

I can't comment on those, but I'm pretty sure the bowels of the USS Missouri looked way better, at least the bits I saw. I don't know how these things work though, maybe you go to some effort to prevent the general public from being exposed to stuff like asbestos, but you don't worry so much about exposing your sailors to it? To be fair some staff weren't concerned about exposing sailors to explosions on the Iowa :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Buttcoin purse
Apr 24, 2014

Smiling Jack posted:

I wasn't aware the Navy planning flood mitigation at Newport News was a political ideology, but then again I'm smart enough to put my pants on before my shoes so I'm obviously wildly overqualified to serve in Congress.

But seriously I found the post interesting, I never heard of stuff like the above, so thanks.