Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Safe and Secure!
Jun 14, 2008

OFFICIAL SA THREAD RUINER
SPRING 2013
Okay, sure, when grandpa goes to college for a degree in git, teach him how a a DVCS works.

But if grandpa is just going to graduate and get a job in an office where his computer runs windows, he probably doesn't need to know how threads work, even though he's going to use Windows every day and his coworkers are going to be really upset if he doesn't use it properly.

Safe and Secure! fucked around with this message at 14:38 on May 19, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Safe and Secure!
Jun 14, 2008

SPRING 2013
I found Cracking the Coding Interview's questions to be almost useless due to how easy they were. Elements of Programming Interviews had harder questions, so I did those instead, which was fine because of the sixteen different questions I was asked in my Facebook and Amazon interviews, all but four were exactly from EPI. Of the remaining three two were quite different from but seemed to be inspired by questions from CtCI's OOP chapter, another one was a design question I didn't recognize from any book, and one is widely available online and said to be asked by all the huge tech companies. That last one was asked of me by both Facebook and Amazon.

I also feel like my practice with EPI left me with a much stronger understanding of CS fundamentals, but the early, non-question parts of CtCI were nice. That was the first place I had heard of Amazon's "bar raiser" interviewers.

shodanjr_gr posted:

I can understand someone who's going for a Google interview feeling like they have to memorize that stuff.

In my experience, Google was the only company where memorization wouldn't have helped. Not a single one of my Google questions was from one of those books.

Safe and Secure! fucked around with this message at 03:00 on May 22, 2015

Safe and Secure!
Jun 14, 2008

SPRING 2013
I majored in math and can't remember any of that. Except the power rule. And the definition of a group.

Safe and Secure!
Jun 14, 2008

SPRING 2013

kloa posted:

Right. Guess I meant more in the sense that you add things as you go. I've worked at places that don't have any of the generally accepted things people here talk about : source control, unit tests, etc.

Don't just ask if they do a thing. Ask how they do that thing.

For "unit tests", make sure the tests themselves are automated, make sure they're run regularly (at minimum, before every check-in!) and fixed when they break, etc.

My first real job, I asked if they had unit tests. They said they did. So I asked if the developers wrote the unit tests (as opposed to testers who otherwise never touched the code), and they said they did! Perfect!

Then I started working there and found out that a "unit test" for them was a sequence of steps a manual tester should perform when banging on the UI. E.g., "1. click the 'start' button. the 'next' button will turn green. 2. click the 'next' button. the 'previous' button will appear. 3. click the 'previous' button..." and so on. And they were telling the truth - all developers were expected to write (and perform) them and then have a tester run through them before declaring the feature or bug-fix "done". These unit tests got performed exactly twice - first by the developer writing them and then by a second person, and if the tested functionality was broken at some point, we would find out a few days or weeks later when a customer complained.

Safe and Secure! fucked around with this message at 03:47 on Jun 4, 2015

Safe and Secure!
Jun 14, 2008

SPRING 2013

Bhaal posted:

he initiator ... has a shortfall in BATNA

i thought the point of your batna is that its your batna. whether you initiate or not shouldnt have anything to do with it. if anything, having a good batna means you disregard silly stuff like "the initator goes first because it's polite" and instead do stuff like "whatever you want because you have great alternatives and dont really care if this one goes to hell"

Safe and Secure!
Jun 14, 2008

SPRING 2013

Bhaal posted:

Absolutely, and I'm not talking about politeness, I'm talking about the chances you have to make them budge AFTER they insist on it, which shoots to zero very quickly because of where they're standing. If you make the approach then the ask is implicitly on you, is the general perception of dealmaking. It's not an absolute and certainly avoid giving in immediately, I feel like what I wrote would have to be cherry picked quite a bit to arrive at the opposite sentiment, but I didn't express it very well so apologies on my wording.

Sorry, I completely misinterpreted what you wrote. That makes more sense, though obviously does sound company-dependent.

Safe and Secure!
Jun 14, 2008

SPRING 2013
Not sure what "top 5" means, but if it's Amazon, Apple, Facebook, Google, Microsoft, then at least one of those companies (Google) will give senior (i.e., fresh grad + 2 promotions) engineers a $250k comp package if I've heard right. I wouldn't be surprised if some managed to get more than that, though I'd be surprised if that was normal. And I'm under the impression that Facebook usually pays a little more than Google for similar roles.

Not all of those pay the same, though. Amazon is really cheap AFAIK and I've never really heard anything about Apple and Microsoft.

Safe and Secure!
Jun 14, 2008

SPRING 2013
E: Nevermind.

Safe and Secure!
Jun 14, 2008

SPRING 2013

Hadlock posted:

Serious question:

If the guy interviewing you lists Something Awful on his Linked In page, and you realize that he's a goon

Do you ask him during the interview if he has stairs in his house? :awesomelon::respek::chanpop:

Wouldn't this make it clear that you stalked him on LinkedIn?

Safe and Secure!
Jun 14, 2008

SPRING 2013

Space Whale posted:

Why did they message me then?

Does it cost them anything to send you a link to a test and tell you "good luck"? If not, then they're probably sending that test to pretty much everyone remotely qualified.

Also, how do you like hired.com? I got the impression that they try to limit entry to people they expect will be able to find a job, so it seems like your chances are good if they let you in.

Safe and Secure!
Jun 14, 2008

SPRING 2013
Doesn't hired.com work only in areas with lots of companies and high wages relative to other parts of the country? Like San Francisco, NYC, etc.? Did you find Robert Half's stuff * modifier to be higher than, say, grabbing what seems to be the upper part of the range for people with your job from Glass Door?

Safe and Secure!
Jun 14, 2008

SPRING 2013

Mniot posted:

I completely failed to find the trick here (which is to work from the ends to the front, merge-sorting into the end of A) and the only hint the interviewer gave me "what about the ends of the lists?" totally gave it away. I did the actual implementation fine, but I could tell it was a lost cause when my interviewer asked if I had any other questions in a "please let me get out of here" tone of voice.

You make it sound like you were given a hint and then you gave a sane implementation. If this is supposed to replace a phone screen then it sounds like you did fine. I don't think any interviewer is going to say "candidate took a hint I gave and ran with it, arriving at a correctly-implemented solution within the time set aside for the interview. Fail."

At some places, the screening is just to make sure you're not an alien from Mars who hasn't ever programmed before and all they want to know is "can this person code AT ALL? or would it be impossible for them to pass our full interview process?" Maybe FB is such a place.

Safe and Secure!
Jun 14, 2008

SPRING 2013
I feel like if you're doing any kind of coding in your spare time you probably have some idea of what git is? I had used git (even though I didn't understand how it worked and was too lazy to learn) as a student and so had basically everyone in my program who ever did more than what was required for the classes we took.

Safe and Secure!
Jun 14, 2008

SPRING 2013
I got an offer from a big company last year for ~$135k/yr.

I turned it down to work at another big company, which I ended up negotiating up to ~$200k total comp (taking into account stock price increases since hire date). Sometime in the next 6 months, I will likely receive a pay bump of $20-40k. I also expect to get promoted for a significant pay bump within the next 6-12 months, and if not, I think I will probably get a $10-15k raise next year.

So last week, a different recruiter from the company I turned down reached out to me. They know I turned down their offer because it wasn't high enough last time. They want to talk again and get a new number worked out up front before we proceed. I've heard that this is the sort of thing I can use to get a raise or some kind of retention bonus at my current company, but I'm having a hard time seeing how that could happen. If I tell them I'm making $200k/yr and expect to make > $220k/yr within the next six months, plus get promoted for a further bump, won't they just run screaming, which would mean I definitely don't get an offer from them? Should I just tell them I make $200k and let them go from there or what?

Safe and Secure!
Jun 14, 2008

SPRING 2013

FamDav posted:

The oldie thread is really the "have you worked in tech longer than 3 years" thread.

Just over two years.

Safe and Secure!
Jun 14, 2008

SPRING 2013

Rurutia posted:

He's counting stock price increases, which isn't really total compensation so to speak. It's not really reliable and won't hold much leverage in negotiations.

Why doesn't this hold much leverage? It determines whether their offer is competitive or not. If it didn't count then no big company would ever be able to hire someone from another, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Safe and Secure!
Jun 14, 2008

SPRING 2013

Jabor posted:

Unless you think the stock price is going to keep skyrocketing up forever (in which case you're an idiot), it's misleading to count a price increase as part of your "total compensation" because it's something that you're no longer going to be benefiting from once your current round of stock grants have finished vesting. It'd be like including your signing bonus.

How is that misleading? My current round of stock grants won't finish vesting until more than three years from now. That puts a probable floor on my current comp, since even if there's fall in stock price (which is just as likely to happen to the company I've been contacted by), I'll be getting extra grants over time that will mitigate it. Is it really misleading to say "Hey, thanks for reaching out, I'll likely make $X this year and there's no reason to think I won't next year, so can you beat that?"? How would companies like Facebook, LinkedIn, Netflix, Uber, Google, Microsoft, etc. ever hire from each other if they were like "hey, I know you're making a lot right now because your employer's stock price has improved, but that doesn't really count, so how about we offer you 3/4 of that?"

FamDav posted:

I don't know what internal math he is doing, but assuming you're at a large company with real HR you should ask your manager about target compensation.

Actually, I suspect that I'll see a raise if I don't get promoted by next year because I already suspect my salary is under target for my level at the company I'm at.

Safe and Secure! fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Mar 14, 2016