Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wolffenstein
Aug 2, 2002

Pork Pro

shodanjr_gr posted:

In, the spirit of the thread, I recently got a summer internship at Microsoft, so if anyone has questions about the interview process, feel free to ask.
Are MS interviews as bad as the rumors say?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wolffenstein
Aug 2, 2002

Pork Pro
I think everyone can agree that the best way to help any technical resume is to contribute worthwhile code to an open source project. It shows you can code, know a vcs, can communicate with a team, and you gain experience as you do it. Yes it doesn't pay, but it'll pay off in the long run.

wolffenstein
Aug 2, 2002

Pork Pro

NotHet posted:

Am I just being an rear end in a top hat? Should I take this because "a job is a job"? Are my concerns about being unemployable in software engineering after working at this job legitimate?
Living at home is nice and all, but living on your own feels so amazing and liberating. I think you should take the job so you can afford a decent place and start living on your own. When you're not working, do the extra hustle and contribute to open source projects or make your own software. While you'll get questioned about it at SE job interviews, knowing your poo poo plus showing you were writing code outside of your job will make up for it.

wolffenstein
Aug 2, 2002

Pork Pro
You should also remember that given the holidays, most companies won't be in full swing until two weeks from now. So it's gonna be slow.

wolffenstein
Aug 2, 2002

Pork Pro
Too generic. Reduce to one page, move experience above education, actually describe stuff you've done rather than your job responsibilities.

wolffenstein
Aug 2, 2002

Pork Pro
Better to regret something you did rather than something you didn't do.

wolffenstein
Aug 2, 2002

Pork Pro
Not to that extreme obviously.

wolffenstein
Aug 2, 2002

Pork Pro

JawnV6 posted:

This is the closest thread I can think to ask this. I'm going to be interviewing someone who would come in as my manager. I've got a pretty good idea how I'll approach it, but any advice from the regulars here?
"Do you put out?"

wolffenstein
Aug 2, 2002

Pork Pro
Need to see a GitHub or at least a portfolio before any personal assessment can happen. If you don't have either or can't show anything for whatever reason, local developer meetups are a great way to determine your skill level.

wolffenstein
Aug 2, 2002

Pork Pro
You will have to work harder to "switch over" down the road, but it's certainly possible to do so.

wolffenstein
Aug 2, 2002

Pork Pro
Personal anecdote: I've been contacted much more in one day after posting my resume on dice than any other site in over three months.

But holy poo poo dice's site blows rear end.

wolffenstein
Aug 2, 2002

Pork Pro

KNITS MY FEEDS posted:

Is there paid overtime in the US? In BC (Canada) apparently it doesn't exist for software devs.
Depends on employment conditions and state laws.

wolffenstein
Aug 2, 2002

Pork Pro
You know quite a shitload more than any of us plus worked several years at a Fortune 100 tech company. That speaks a hell lot more than a GitHub account.

For someone wanting to get into a software engineering role with no professional experience, it's now almost mandatory to have a portfolio of some kind available. GitHub mostly fills that necessity.

wolffenstein fucked around with this message at 23:12 on Aug 5, 2013

wolffenstein
Aug 2, 2002

Pork Pro
Ask permission from the course instructor first. In case if that instructor wishes to refuse that challenge/homework/whatever for future courses.

wolffenstein
Aug 2, 2002

Pork Pro

Good Will Hrunting posted:

So I had an interview today. It went really well and I like the culture, size, etc. I'm just a little concerned with the technology they use. They're using some Java technology (EJB/JBoss/JSP) that others have told me is "outdated" and while it fits the product they make, this was a little disconcerting to hear. This will really be my "first" dev job, so I'm not sure what to make of it. How much is it going to impact my career by starting off working with these things that may soon die?

Forgive me if this is a retarded question.

I'm biased, but if I had to choose again, I wouldn't have taken my first programming job. It set me back, and I'm heavily paying for it. However you are working with Java, so you at least have the possibility to easily start using a newer language/framework at work or in your free time.

wolffenstein
Aug 2, 2002

Pork Pro

Don Mega posted:

Don't get a tech support job if you are a developer.

Che Delilas posted:

If you want to code, tech support is a dead end.
And if you don't want to believe them, please believe me as I have actually done this. Here is my resume. Here is my GitHub. It hasn't gotten me anywhere, and I fight severe bouts of depression.

wolffenstein
Aug 2, 2002

Pork Pro

Tres Burritos posted:

This thread was doing so well for a while there too.

You mean when half of a page was people getting the lovely prefix and postfix interview question wrong, and the other half was debating how lovely it was?

wolffenstein
Aug 2, 2002

Pork Pro
No that can backfire, and you lose your contract renewal. Search for a new job months before and take it when your contract ends.

wolffenstein
Aug 2, 2002

Pork Pro
A Django-powered website.

wolffenstein
Aug 2, 2002

Pork Pro
Do all that. Take out the additional experience. Add more to the technical skills section (you obviously know HTML and PHP too), then move it to the top. Your resume format is pretty close to mine.

wolffenstein
Aug 2, 2002

Pork Pro
I'm looking for a critique of my resume and social profile. I haven't been contacted by a recruiter in about a month, and even when recruiters were contacting me, I never got a coding challenge or an interview with a manager. I'm looking for a junior iOS and/or Ruby on Rails position.

Website, Resume, GitHub

wolffenstein
Aug 2, 2002

Pork Pro
Who in here was offering mock interviews? I could use the help.

wolffenstein
Aug 2, 2002

Pork Pro

Ithaqua posted:

Probably me, but keep in mind that my mock interview is 100% technical assessment for .NET developers. I don't care about a time you had a conflict with a co-worker and how you resolved it. :)
Well I've never touched .NET, and I do need help with the non-technical questions as well. Thanks anyway.

wolffenstein
Aug 2, 2002

Pork Pro

unsanitary posted:

What I'm wondering is, though, what's the proper way to go about trying to negotiate a little extra salary or a couple extra vacation days? Is it bad form to ask for more, get denied, then say "ok I'll take it anyway"?
I can't link the original for whatever reason, thanks Google Docs. Anyway thank Gavin Brown for this script.

wolffenstein
Aug 2, 2002

Pork Pro

HondaCivet posted:

How can you have a job where you never Google anything? Do some people just write the same code over and over again for their whole career or something? :psyduck:

Some languages are so rare that there's nothing to Google.

wolffenstein
Aug 2, 2002

Pork Pro
If they won't pay for a flight, suggest a video conference. If they turn that down, tell the recruiter to get lost. Flights are pennies in a bucket to most companies.

wolffenstein
Aug 2, 2002

Pork Pro

Che Delilas posted:

So to derail this terrible argument into one slightly less terrible, should I wear a suit to my next interview?

If they normally wear khakis and a button-up, yes. If interviewing at Apple, hell no you will be laughed at behind your back.

wolffenstein
Aug 2, 2002

Pork Pro
Cover letter in the email and no.

wolffenstein
Aug 2, 2002

Pork Pro
That webpage sucks. Use GitHub's page generator or spend an afternoon learning Bootstrap at least.

More constructively, you could make it look like your resume and give context to your links.

wolffenstein
Aug 2, 2002

Pork Pro

Giglioroninomicon posted:

Also, taking wolffensteins advice and made the site slightly more pretty. Bootstrap is good! http://meadorjc.github.io/

I'm bad at taking my own advice but congrats

wolffenstein
Aug 2, 2002

Pork Pro
I'm asking this dumb naive question anyway: why don't they hire technical people to recruit technical people?

wolffenstein
Aug 2, 2002

Pork Pro
Hmm. Well, I'm not good enough to code despite my CS degree, but I'm too good for regular IT jobs. Seems like a decent fit for me.

wolffenstein
Aug 2, 2002

Pork Pro

down with slavery posted:

Honestly if you went through an entire CS degree and can't program in a professional capacity you've probably got way bigger problems than finding a job. Hopefully you're just suffering from some severe impostor syndrome, otherwise you should have really managed your time better in school.

My GitHub says otherwise but I'm both too specialized and too general at the same time. I know my poo poo about everything Apple but no one's hiring Apple IT people, and I'm too spread out in programming languages that I'm not specialized enough for most jobs I see.

Might be the depression talking though. Or I read too much into tef's tweets.

wolffenstein
Aug 2, 2002

Pork Pro
Anal Volcano went, but he was being laughed out of YOSPOS the last time I saw him post.

wolffenstein
Aug 2, 2002

Pork Pro
That's not an existential crisis FYI. Anyway, there's a few Amazon goons here, there's lots of Steve Yegge posts on Amazon, and I'm sure Glassdoor has lots of feedback. There's enough information about Amazon employment to make an informed decision. Best of luck.

Also no you don't leave everything behind. You can always fly back whenever you want. The Internet lets you stay in contact with people no matter where you are. In this day and age there is almost no way to "leave everything behind".

wolffenstein
Aug 2, 2002

Pork Pro

Tots posted:

(they aren't paying any travel expense.)
Keep track of your mileage and related job expenses. Job hunting expenses you pay out of pocket and aren't reimbursed are tax-deductible. (Assuming you're in the US)

wolffenstein
Aug 2, 2002

Pork Pro
autogenerated resume best resume

wolffenstein
Aug 2, 2002

Pork Pro
I applied for a job requiring 0-3 years in Ruby, and I was told they were looking for someone with more experience.

Also a recruiter emailed me about a position then 15 minutes later asked me to disregard it.

wolffenstein fucked around with this message at 23:22 on May 21, 2014

wolffenstein
Aug 2, 2002

Pork Pro
Hi again thread. How's it going? Congrats to the recent group of folks able to get jobs. Keep on learning, including learning from the massive mistakes I've done in my brief career so far.

So when I asked the thread last time why I'm having such a hard time getting a job, the main response was to look outside south-east North Carolina. Well I've been doing that, and so far I've had a few interviews with Dropbox, Evernote, Apple, and Gawker Media. Dropbox was incredibly snobby to me, and then they put a war criminal on their board; Evernote's expectations for a interview programming assignment were beyond my capabilities; Apple's been honest to me in saying they went with an internal employee for a position I was considered; Gawker uses Scala and just getting setup for the programming challenge took longer than compiling the linux kernel. Other than that, my interactions with recruiters have been nil besides this disheartening gem:

It's surprising I haven't been contacted by startups or lesser known companies. I know I've been applying to nearly every job I seem qualified to do. Each job application has a tailored resume and cover letter for that position. Yet nothing comes in. Even the automatic application acknowledgement email is a nice thing to get.

I know I sound despondent, but six months ago I was suicidal and went through multiple tragic family situations. I couldn't even solve a basic programming challenge from a fellow goon in a reasonable time. I still have a morbid outlook on life, but I keep it to myself and manage to be relatively happy and smile on most days. Today I'm medicated for depression, have gotten professional help, and thankfully living with my parents who are trying to be understanding. However it befuddles them how little contact I get for potential employment, even for menial local jobs like grocery stores and gas stations to at least get me busy doing something.

Who I am
LinkedIn, GitHub (autogenerated resume), Stack Overflow Careers, PDF Resume, Sample Cover Letter

What I know
Cocoa, Cocoa Touch, Objective-C, Ruby on Rails, Perl, Python, PostgreSQL, Heroku, Git, GitHub, CSS, JavaScript, jQuery, Bootstrap, PHP, and WebDNA

What I've done
Battlefield 4 Webcon (demo site)
- Intended to be the website for all Battlefield-playing goons to join and manage all goon-run servers.
- Used Steam OpenID and verified SA profiles via scraping.
- Did have protocol to communicate with BF4 servers implemented and some work done for background process.
- I stopped working on this because BF4 really sucked.

NDA Mac, iOS, and Full-Stack Web Development
- My most of my work for my former employer is covered under a highly-restrictive Apple NDA that doesn't expire for a few years.
- About the only thing I can say about this was it was a complete from scratch solution for automating iOS device deployment.

WebDNA Timeclock
- My first WebDNA project. It was intended for production use, but it didn't interface with Quicken for the accountants so it was dropped
- Learned Bootstrap, jQuery, JavaScript, and basic API implementation. I could strip out the WebDNA code to demo the UI capabilities, but it's been a low priority since front-end web dev isn't an interest of mine.

Battlefield 3 RCON PHP Scripts
- Think of this as like BF4 Webcon, but because I didn't have control over the hosting, I had to rewrite Python scripts in PHP.
- Frankly surprised the scripts worked as well as they did. I wish I could advertise the fact these scripts kicked over 10,000 non-goons from goon-run servers, but most people see that as a negative statistic.
- For a short time, we decided to play another Battlefield game, Bad Company 2. I made a new branch and made the necessary changes so both versions of the scripts could be run simultaneously without affecting each other.

AWStats Scripts
- Written at my last internship, these Perl scripts gathered logs from multiple servers and ran them through AWStats, the web stats software to use before Google Analytics came along.
- I reduced the scripts' average running time from 45 minutes to under 5 minutes by storing the log's last timestamp between runs and checking for that timestamp during the next run. If found, the scripts only passed a single log file to AWStats rather than all the logs for a single website. AWStats already handled duplication and redundancy checks within logs.
- As websites were migrated to different servers, the scripts accounted for that and maintained stats for the site regardless which server it was actually hosted on.

Steps I've taken
- Paid ResumetoInterviews and LinkedIn Radar to professionally revise my resume, cover letter, and LinkedIn profile.
- My stepfather reviewed my resume, cover letter, and social media profiles. He just retired from his HR career which included being the head of HR. He doesn't know tech but from a HR perspective, it was top notch.
- Setup automated job email alerts from LinkedIn, GitHub Jobs, WeHireRemotely.com, Stack Overflow Careers, Simply Hired, Glassdoor, Indeed, and Craigslist. I get about 25 emails a day and open each remotely-interesting job (usually 10-15 a day) in separate tabs. I taylor my resume and cover letter for each job application then apply, and repeat. I've separated alerts by location whenever possible, so I get jobs pertaining to SF, LA, NYC, Chicago, Portland, Seattle, Denver, Austin, Minneapolis, Charlotte, and Raleigh-Durham.
- I've done practice interviews with friends, family, and one goon. I've been complemented on how well I've answer the non-technical questions. I do struggle with technical questions, but neither friends nor family know programming so I can't practice with them.
- Triple-checked my domain's DNS settings to ensure I'm getting every email sent to it. Gotten to know Google Apps pretty well thanks to it.
- Attended various local career fairs and young professionals meetups. I haven't found a non-Microsoft developer meetup around here yet.

Admittedly restrictive stipulations
- Company must meet my ethics. My main concern is that I want to neither track nor kill people. This leaves out most Google positions, advertising and marketing companies, and defense contractors. I did apply for a privacy engineer position at Google however.
- Company knows how to handle sexism and man children. GitHub did an incredibly poor job with Julie Ann Horvath's resignation. Pretty much any company mentioned by Valleywag is off the list. Valleywag is the new FuckedCompany. Doesn't help I own CheckYourPrivilege.org.
- No video game jobs. I love video games, but gently caress how the industry treats its employees. Twitch seems okay and I've applied there too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wolffenstein
Aug 2, 2002

Pork Pro

Tunga posted:

So that's my giant story, welp.
Don't quit your job until you find another. See my sob story.