Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Unironically, I can't wait for someone to delid one of these things so I can see how the die is laid out for optimum pasting.

Sure they're not soldered? Their previous FX CPUs were, as far as I know.

HalloKitty fucked around with this message at 15:48 on Feb 20, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

eames posted:

a pretty big german retailer lists a R1700/RX460 system for 999€

https://www.csl-computer.com/shop/product_info.php?products_id=13251

That CPU/GPU pairing reminds me of the bad old days when PCs were sold with massively overpowered CPUs (for the time) but GPUs that were unbelievably weedy. All because most people only knew MORE MEGAHERTZ = BETTER!

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO posted:

It's platfrom you fuckers

I was thinking it too, but didn't have the energy to reply with it

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

PC LOAD LETTER posted:

My initial reaction to those numbers is skepticism because that level of efficiency for common DRAM on any work load is ridiculous even for a synthetic benchmark. If it pans out through on actual real world work loads...that'll be real impressive and you can probably save some cash buying cheaper lower clocked memory instead of the high priced higher clocked stuff.

Or buy the higher clocked stuff and enjoy the extra speed!

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

BurritoJustice posted:

Using water cooling, XFR got to 4.1GHz on one core (100MHz up) and tried to do 4.1GHz on all cores but the system crashed live in the demo :supaburn:

100Mhz above its stock boost (in a fully manufacturer supported manner) and it crashes? Ouch.

HalloKitty fucked around with this message at 13:58 on Feb 28, 2017

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Pryor on Fire posted:

drat this thread is really going off the reservation in the final days before ryzen. You guys it's gonna be ok, you don't have to talk about CPUs on the moon just hang on a little longer!

Well, there's pretty much nothing else to talk about until tomorrow, all the leaks and whatnot are done, NDA lifts tomorrow, then the thread explodes.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

It's close to what could have been expected, except I was surprised to see how badly it could perform with SMT (THREADRIPPER) enabled at times in the Gamers' Nexus review.

I think AMD have made a mistake by releasing only an 8-core launch line-up, because 8-core is still basically kind of niche. A solid 4 and 6 core offering with clocks a bit over 4GHz would have made more sense for the mainstream gaming market. But maybe they can't push it any more, it certainly seems that way. GloFlo strikes again?

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

repiv posted:

I was looking for an excuse to get rid of this 2500k but I'm still not feeling it :sigh:

Maybe the entry level Skylake-X will do it...

I got bored and purchased a second hand 3770K, delidded it, and settled on an overclock of 4.7GHz with decent temps and reasonable voltage.

My 2500K was doing the business just fine, but I had an itch. It seems silly, but now I don't feel like it was a waste of time, since it's still very competitive in gaming performance...

Prescription Combs posted:

Glad to see my 5775c way up there... :sigh: Glad I didn't get on the ryzen hype train!

What an absolute beast. I'll say it again: Intel should be giving us Kaby Lake with that drat cache...

HalloKitty fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Mar 2, 2017

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

gwrtheyrn posted:

If my main use case is 11-boxing eve online, actively running another game, and watching some sort of streaming video (twitch, amazon, youtube), would ryzen be a better purchase over an intel hex-core with the information out so far?

For reference, I am currently running a 4690k more or less at stock, and I have to stop doing at least one of the things above to approach reasonable performance. Each eve client takes between 4 and 15% cpu in task manager depending on if they're backgrounded (limited to 10fps), my second game usually takes 50%, and streaming video can take a lot especially from amazon. This squarely basically pegs me at 100% load at all times. I'm not in the biggest rush to buy, but I've been wanting to upgrade for ages because the 4690k felt like a downgrade from the 980x I had before it so skylake-x might be a little too far out to wait. I could overclock a bit, but I doubt that will get me where I want to be

8-core Ryzen is definitely the CPU for you

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Dante80 posted:

Some more news...

AMD SMT cores are mapped differently than Intel:
- Some websites claim than Intel logical core mapping is: thread 1 of every CPU 1,2,3..,8 and thread 2 of every CPU 9, 10, 11... 16.

On my 3770K, core 1 is the second thread of core 0, core 2 is physical, core 3 is the second thread of core 2, etc. etc.. alternating.

This launch has kind of sucked really badly for AMD. I think they should have delayed it until Vega launch, so they could not only have worked out all the bugs in the firmware and so on, so nobody ends up with pre-release firmware on their board, giving lovely performance; but also so they could generate Vega sales with new Ryzen/Vega systems as opposed to Ryzen/NVIDIA systems.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

SwissArmyDruid posted:

"Dumpsterville, Population: ECS" category

I was going to say "What about PC Chips as well?" But it turns out ECS and PC Chips merged in 2005. What a quality combination.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Ihmemies posted:

Hopefully no one buying an expensive 8core processor wastes time with sub-1440p gaming. Tests at 1080p or 720p, really? I know they bring out the differences between CPU's, but who cares when it doesn't matter in practice with 1440p+ gaming? Maybe one day they make a fast enough GPU so you're cpu bound again.

Can't wait to see how Ryzen performs with Windows drivers & scheduler tweaks, updated games, final bios/motherboards & good memory. For now it looks like there's quite a lot performance left on the table. That's not too surprising though, it happens all the time with AMD's gpu's too.

Irrelevant. We're trying to see the difference between CPUs here, not simply a flat graph with GPU bottlenecked results.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Ihmemies posted:

Well what is the point? Vulkan, DX12 etc. mean games require even less from a CPU in future, also consoles etc. push the games to use more threads than before. Of course no one can see the future, but my guess (worth $0) is that a 8C Ryzen is good enough for gaming now and still after a few years, while being a lot better in productivity & multitasking than a 4 core Intel. A rich guy would buy two PC's, but when you have to get by with just one relatively cheap one, I'd get a Ryzen.

Ryzen is definitely good enough for gaming now, and better at multitasking and productivity, for a great price, no arguing that.

I agree also that it's a problem that people misinterpret the benchmark data, assuming that a CPU bottleneck scenario is typical of their gaming loads at higher resolutions, which is a valid point. But it still doesn't mean you should generally benchmark with a bottleneck in a component other than the one being tested.

HalloKitty fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Mar 5, 2017

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

redeyes posted:

I'm the biggest Intel fan ever because mostly their stuff is solid and reliable and has been forever.

Ah, hm, not 100% certain about that. Probably tons of others I couldn't recall.

Not saying they're not brilliant in general, though, but we shouldn't paint an image of perfection.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Risky Bisquick posted:

*except media consumption

What about older media in 4:3? Then it's better, the black bars are clearly smaller. What about older European films in 1.66:1? Better again!

A lot of films are in 2.39:1 anyway, and thus give black bars on most screens. If someone was then to show their super widescreen monitor off, a 4:3 movie or TV series is going to look pretty tiny on that thing.

vv Great point, in most films you get space for subtitles out of frame

HalloKitty fucked around with this message at 17:09 on Mar 8, 2017

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Last I checked, it's 2017.

Yes, I am typing out this post on this dead gay forum on this monitor in 2017. Kill me.

I have a 1680×1050 Dell (2007WFP) still hooked up that I use as my second monitor. It's fine.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Toalpaz posted:

But it anyways, Ryzen games better than an FX chip as is at stock no?

Yes, very much so. Their whole plan for Ryzen was massively increasing single-thread performance over their older stuff, and they really did achieve that. The one thing we can say for certain is that nobody should be looking at the older AMD CPUs. Here's a quick (and recent) sample of what you can expect with an FX-8370 vs the current CPUs, in terms of smoothness in frame times. Bear in mind there are still optimisations which will no doubt occur in games on Ryzen. (Running on Windows 7 gives better results, for example, disabling HT also gives better results, blah blah blah...)

SwissArmyDruid posted:

You bought loving 990FX in 2017. What the gently caress, man.

Maybe he just wants a slow, hot running PC, in which case, he's done the right thing.
To reach the conclusion that Ryzen is underwhelming vs Bulldozer/Excavator and so on is to have misinterpreted all the available data.

HalloKitty fucked around with this message at 14:00 on Mar 9, 2017

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Maxwell Adams posted:

I've seen the new tests that show that the Windows 10 scheduler doesn't have a problem knowing what to do with Ryzen. They've got the latency tests for each core, numbers on CCX switching, etc. It all seems pretty conclusive.

... so why do most games perform better when SMT is switched off?

But they don't have that problem on Windows 7, or at least that's what I remember reading..

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Did anyone mention this absurdity yet? The -X SKUs are intentionally adding 20°C to their reported temperature so fans will run faster. Incredibly ghetto "fix", and it means people think their Ryzens are running way hotter than they are. Presumably newer software can hard-code (ugh) a -20°C offset to compensate.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Don Lapre posted:

Wait what, WTF is the point of that? What is it trying to fix?

I have no idea at all. None. They're practically sabotaging their own product launch.

vvvvv

kirtar posted:

Makes fans run faster on the 1700X and 1800X

Yeah, but an offset on the reported temp is a stupid way to do so. Why not make the mobo manufacturers enforce a different fan speed policy based on SKU instead of breaking a standard feature?

HalloKitty fucked around with this message at 16:24 on Mar 14, 2017

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

eames posted:

Though how do they explain 1800X idle temperatures of 35°C with aircooling at 21°C ambient? Is the offset fixed or a curve? :iaam:

... The plot thickens. What on earth has AMD done?

This doesn't feel like a rushed launch at all, no sir

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

FuturePastNow posted:

feels like an AMD launch

you almost make it sound charming

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Arzachel posted:

I don't think Ryzen hexa and octa cores are worth it for gaming until they figure out how to keep critical tasks from migrating between the clusters.

http://www.hardware.fr/articles/956-24/retour-sous-systeme-memoire-suite.html

You can do that manually with a programme like Process Lasso. If what SwissArmyDruid says is true, though, that the 6-cores will have one core disabled from each CCX, that's a disappointment. 2 enabled on one, 4 on the other would be perfect, because you could assign Windows processes to 2 on the same die, and then have all your other tasks running free on one quad core CCX, avoiding that problem of migrating between them.

HalloKitty fucked around with this message at 13:43 on Mar 15, 2017

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Potato Salad posted:

16MB L3, 6c, 65W for $220?

Jesus, sign me the gently caress up. I'm digging how the r5 line is mostly keeping the fuckoff-huge l3 cache.

Yeah, this parts are much more competitive, and like you said, loving the huge cache. That said, they still need actual clock increases over the 8-core parts, but it seems like their process just won't allow them. Hm. Once they get these 6-core parts to 4.5GHz or so, there's pretty much nothing holding them back.

vv It is, I'm just saying that a lot of people will still shy away for gaming reasons because the single-thread performance still isn't up there due to the slightly low clocks.

HalloKitty fucked around with this message at 15:01 on Mar 16, 2017

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Don't care about a 4 GHz wall with mobile parts

That's very true, now we just need some OEMs to make AMD laptops that aren't absolute poo poo in every other respect.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

I'm talking about build quality, tiny batteries, poor low res screens, etc. Carrizo is an already existing reasonable AMD solution, but try finding anything that has a build that's on par with the best Intel laptops..

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Truga posted:

:rip: sony vaio z

Sony were the only people with full blown 4 cores in 13" laptops and weren't afraid of being a bit fatter than a macbook (and thus didn't throttle to hell). Expensive as gently caress, but so worth it.

Not to mention discrete NVIDIA GPUs and QUAD RAID 0 SSDs, still in a tiny, light chassis. So good.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Truga posted:

I think it was just dual raid0 SSD

They really did have quad raid 0 SSDs available, 256GB in total. Mine only has the dual raid 0 SSDs, although I did remove the optical drive and replace it with ANOTHER SSD, so I'm running triple raid 0 in mine, because hell, powerrrr! (Also, it's not like I use my laptop for anything super critical, so it wouldn't be that bad if something failed).

But I think we're talking about different generations, mine has a Nehalem-based CPU in it, not Conroe or whatever flavour of C2D is in the one you mention.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

pixaal posted:

Comments sound like Windows 10 Game Mode, which means the 7700k would likely also get a boost.

35% is absolutely unprecedented for Game Mode

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

FaustianQ posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O5cqOtWz5sU

TL;DW is that the R5 1600X has very similar performance to an R7 1800X in games, the R5 1500X falls behind slightly assuming all clocks are the same. R5 1500X has the full 16MB L3, the R5 1400 apparently only has 8MB L3. Out of compared games of Ryzen @ 4.0Ghz and Kaby Lake @ 4.8Ghz (7700K, 7600K, 7350K), on price to performance, and minimum framerates the Ryzen offerings are much better. There are some instances where Ryzen is able to pull ahead in GPU limited scenarios.

If you're a 100% budget conscious then the G4560 is still the way to go, but the R5 1500X is fairly compelling for a midrange build and the R5 1600X seems to actually be a good compromise between gaming performance, price, and work performance. If you absolutely need gaming performance, get a 7700K, and if price isn't a concern, go X99.

I thought that was a pretty strong showing from the Ryzen CPUs there, especially seeing as the 7700K is overclocked.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Smart TVs and all associated devices are the devil. Give me a PC to play my media with. I know I can then update any relevant codec. Transcoding media, losing quality, just to play with a particular device, is nuts.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

I think the Ryzen 5 6-cores with the high clocks out of the box (1600X, for example) are going to be much better value. When they refine the process more and get higher clocks out of these things, they're going to be good for every purpose.

Single core performance of Ryzen is NOT terrible. Bulldozer's single core performance is terrible.

HalloKitty fucked around with this message at 11:52 on Mar 26, 2017

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

wargames posted:

From what we know the r5 isn't a better process just r7 with cores disabled.

I know, I'm simply suggesting that in future, if/when they do improve it to get the clocks up, it will be a formidable CPU.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Uh-oh.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

I thought the prevailing hypothesis was that AMD GPU drivers have a larger CPU overhead, so alleviating that in any way possible will move more of the bottleneck onto the GPU.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Toalpaz posted:

It's my first time seeing pins and not LGA so that was interesting.

Way to make me feel ancient

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

3peat posted:

lol wtf

It seems like the 480 is just much better in Rocket League, so it becomes the bottleneck, making the Intel and AMD CPUs fall into a tight cluster that's probably in the margin of error.

Edit: just a guess at first glance

HalloKitty fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Apr 11, 2017

• Locked thread