Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

ThreeFish posted:

I saw a few people ask about mandolines and thought I'd recommend the one I bought off Amazon a few months ago.

http://www.amazon.com/Swissmar-Borner-V-1001-V-Slicer-Mandoline/dp/B0000632QE

I love it. It's super sharp (I lost the top quarter inch of my thumb on first use and it didn't even bleed- the cut was that clean!) and it's got a few interchangeable blades. All the stuff fits nicely together in the case. The instructions are in both English and German, but the English instructions aren't as in-depth as the German instructions. Luckily, there are also handy diagrams and pictures.

I am very happy with it. I have to admit that my only other mandoline experience was with a Walmart cheapo one I tried about 10 years ago. I threw it away within the first week. This mandoline is like, a million times better than that.

Hope this helps someone, since there wasn't a whole lot said about mandoline recommendations.
I have to disagree. I can't imagine a good professional kitchen that isn't using Benriner mandolines. That's the one you want.

I don't mean to be a prick - the one you like is probably okay for home use. But any restaurant I've been in uses nothing but the Benriners without a second thought.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

SubG posted:

I don't mean to be a prick, but have you ever actually tried a Borner mandoline?
No - I apologize. If it's really that good then nm.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Chef De Cuisinart posted:

You haven't met our dishwashers. Those are the only mandolines they haven't figured out how to ruin. And even then, they're trying. Bits of carrot stuck in the julienne blades? RAM THIS HERE SCRAPER INTO THE BLADE.
Not sure why you're handing your blades to the dishwashers but whatever guy!!!

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Occasionally (rarely) you can find polyscience professionals on eBay for about 450 to 500 bucks. Obviously the Nomiku's not out yet, but I can't imagine it being quality enough to not make the extra money worth it for the polyscience pro. It's a really, really, really nice piece of equipment.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Well thats really why I haven't done it yet. With a sv supreme, I'd have a countertop appliance, not a giant piece of lab gear. I think I would use it more. I could always keep the big one around for long cook stuff. Most things don't need the degree of precision offered by a real ic.

I only ever use the ic in the tub I got with it. Most of my pots either aren't deep enough or wide enough for it to be useful. It has a giant cage around the working parts that is optional, but I've never taken it off. It would make it a lot smaller I suppose, but I'm worried about doing that then clogging the intake line or something.
Just for those who might buy this is a different model from polyscience pro - the polyscience pro should fit fine in basically any stock pot

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Chef De Cuisinart posted:

I don't know if anyone had considered this, but we sv our short ribs at work in a hotbox. Set hotbox to 160F, toss vac bagged ribs into rondeaux with water, finished in 24 hours.

Our GM is too much of a cheap bastard to let us buy a nice temp bath =/
This is fine I guess but are 160 degree short ribs actually any better than normal braised ones? 160 degrees is a well-done steak.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

.Z. posted:

Why is there such a large price difference between the Nomiku and a PolySci?

Difference in reliability of components? Temperature accuracy?
You can't really say. Polyscience is probably charging more over cost (due to their distro model), but I will say looking at pictures of the Nomiku there's no way that it's as sturdy as the Poly Pro. The Poly Pro is probably more accurate, and can heat up more water, but the accuracy doesn't matter for any cook and the volume shouldn't matter for a home cook.

I just find for a notoriously finnicky piece of equipment, I'd rather pay 50-70% extra for the unit available now that's universally praised. It'll take a while before we know if there are any problems with the Nomiku. And it looks silly.

But I'm not a normal home cook and I kind of fetishize toughness and weight on my kitchen equipment.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

It's total heresy I guess but has anyone used diamond swiss nonstick? I was cooking at someone else's house and I cooked two chickens under a brick in two pans and holy poo poo. No sticking, no nothing, beautiful golden brown. At first I was disappointed because I wanted to make a pan sauce but a.) I was already making a gravy from the bones and poo poo so I didn't really need it and b.) this meant that the flavor stayed on the chickens.

So I used to be all "non-stick sucks" but this really turned me around. It would probably kick rear end for fish cooked/basted whole as well. I mean there are a lot of sites that are dubious of this but drat it worked well. So I don't know, if I just use it for fragile proteins cooked whole it seems kind of useful. I know plenty of restaurants use non-stick oval pans for sole meuniere, for example.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Steve Yun posted:

DuPont has a monopoly on the teflon used in nonstick pans, but rather than just resting on their laurels they continue to come up with improved teflon formulations. Cheaper teflon pans use the older formulas, more expensive teflon pans use newer formulations. It's possible Swiss Diamond uses one of the newer formulas. Calphalon Unison pans also use one of the newer formulas and it's impressively slippery.

I don't think everyone's against nonstick, it's just that you have to take into account that they don't last forever so we advise against making big investments into nonstick sets.
Oh yeah - sets don't make sense.

Basically, nonstick is good for applications where you're not going to be tempted to use metal utensils, you won't need to deglaze, you won't need to get it super hot, and sticking is an issue. This is pretty much just large fragile proteins and eggs for me.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

OK. I'll say it. I don't understand woks on a burner made for normal pans. I don't understand what you gain vs. a flat-bottom pan when you're not working with magma.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

SubG posted:

You mean a wok versus a fry pan? Or a traditional wok versus a flat-bottomed wok? Because a wok behaves very differently from a fry pan---thinner, so it's more responsive to temperature changes, sloped so you've got a temperature gradient up the sides, more volume inside the same radius, and so on.

Traditional versus flat-bottomed, the main difference is surface area. This affects how much food you can get in there at once, and how well you're heating the hottest area of the wok. I also think there's a noticeable difference in how the pan behaves just in terms of moving food around in it and so forth, but that's probably just familiarity and personal preference.
I understand that - I've only gotten lame results out of my wok, though (I don't have a ring - maybe that contributes to it).

I guess my question is - can you really get results in a wok on a normal range that you can't get out of two flat-bottomed pans?

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

SubG posted:

By `normal range' do you mean an electric range? Because I agree that a round-bottom wok doesn't make sense on an electric range. But with a gas range, even one lacking a dedicated wok burner (or other high-output burner) I think you'll get better results out of removing the spider and using a wok ring compared to what you'd get out of using a flat-bottom wok. Or at least on my particular gas range. On the full sized burners (that is, not on the smaller warming burner) the bottom of the wok rests just slightly over the hob, and flames hit the sides from just above the bottom to well up the side of the pan. Assuming that the burner output is more or less constant and that the wok's efficiency at absorbing it is also more or less constant, then this by itself would result in a more regular cooking surface than applying the heat only to bottom surface (resting on the burner) of a flat-bottom wok.
Sorry - I meant gas - I'm being very unclear and I apologize.

I've been putting the round wok directly on the spider but maybe I'll look into getting a ring. I haven't been getting a great char/caramelization on meat that I cook with my wok but I may be doing too much at a time as well.

I had come to the conclusion that if you're using round-bottom you really need the absurd molten heats that proper wok burners generate, and that with a lower amount of heat you'll need much more time so you'll do better to use a normal flat-bottomed pan so that you can give the meat time to caramelize on each side. But if this has really been working - wok/ring on a normal gas range - then maybe I need to rethink that.

No Wave fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Aug 2, 2012

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

geetee posted:

Is there any benefit, other than aesthetics, to be had by using a grill pan like below over a flat surfaced one for steaks?

It is pure evil for steaks. Don't even consider it - you need contact heat to get to browning temps on a range. It may look like a grill but it will not transmit any heat. It's ok for warming up like paninis and wraps and poo poo. I really only use mine for warming up corn tortillas.

The Tinfoil Price posted:

I've worked with Wusthof and Global knives as well, and the Victorinox is ALMOST as good for a tenth of the price.
I personally strongly prefer my Forschner (Victorinox) knife to my $100 Henckels one, which uses the same metal as Wusthofs. The Forschner is lighter and has a smaller profile which I basically always prefer. If you are a professional in a high-end restaurant or you are somebody who wants to appreciate their knife for basically geeky reasons (not an insult), you may want to consider other much more expensive chef knives than the Victorinox. If you are neither of these things the Victorinox will be great.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Whatever you get though be aware that your copper pans may not work with induction... I know that the main-line Mauviel stuff doesn't, but they also make some induction-friendly models (I don't know how that works).

EDIT: Whoops, logical fallacy already said it. My b. For registry stuff I'd be a lot more interested in getting some really cool limoges china. The dining room is for pretty and that's a great registry money-sink.

No Wave fucked around with this message at 04:17 on Nov 1, 2012

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

MisterOblivious posted:

Please explain to me how cooking a roast in a dutch oven and then reheating it the next day is "superior" because I'm just not seeing it.
Because braised meat is better after you refrigerate it and allow the cooking liquid to enter the protein networks that contracted and wrung out moisture during the cooking period and relaxed during the resting period, and you're undoubtedly using wet heat inside of a dutch oven. Craft makes all their braised short ribs at least a day in advance then lets them bathe in their remouillage for a night or two to MTFU (moisten the gently caress up).

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

SubG posted:

If you're planning on needing a shitload of them, you can just go to your nearest restaurant supply store and buy a bunch of plastic containers in pint, quart, or whatever sizes for a couple cents a pop.
The ten food things I actually use in my kitchen are:

1.) chef's knife
2.) cutting board
3.) wooden spoon
4.) side towel
5.) thermapen
6.) microplane
7.) take out containers
8.) pressure cooker
9.) induction stovetop
10.) paring knife

It's hard to emphasize how rad it is to have a bounty of those containers, especially because you can feel okay throwing them out if they get stained or something.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

"go home" meaning, toast your sandwich in a pan on your stovetop

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

LTBS posted:

You can also grab one of the cast iron grill pans if you really want the grill marks. Plus the grill pan is good for everything else instead of just sandwiches.
Do you mean nothing else?

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Unless you're going to Vitamix levels of blending (purees/soups ground so finely that you can't distinguish the particulate matter on your palette) you might as well use a stick blender. But if you do ever upgrade, butternut squash is never the same... not to mention the glory that is celery root.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

I have the VitaPrep 3 and it is one of the nicest things you will own, period. When you handle it you will understand where the money went and you'll realize that it really can't be done the same cheaper.

That being said it is stupid money and if finances are at all an issue it's stupid to put yourself in jeopardy for a blender.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

I would agree except that I use a microwave every day... to warm my plates :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

(but yes, vitamix is to blenders as thermapen is to instant-read thermometers... but 2x)

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

TheQuietWilds posted:

Where does the point of diminishing returns hit with a double boiler? I mean, I hate buying stuff that is obvious crap, but there seems like a huge gap in options between a 15 dollar piece of junk and a $300 Mauviel. I don't need to melt chocolate THAT much. Any recommendations on a reasonably priced double boiler?
If you're buying any double-boiler at all you're already in diminishing returns territory - follow GigaFool's advice.

If you really feel you need one, though, there's no reason not to go crappy (though if you're using induction be careful that it's compatible)- the heat distribution of the metal does not loving matter. Think of it like a stockpot.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

It's a pity because if someone could make a tiny sous-vizzle for slow-poaching 2-3 eggs at a time it would be sick.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

bingbangbong posted:

If you're going to make all this crazy poo poo just get a Cuisinart with a big heavy motor. It'll be more versatile and come in well below $400.
Wrong. Vitamix is special. You won't understand until you've used one.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Odd that they don't include the Vita-Prep 3, which is what's actually used in pro kitchens.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

mediaphage posted:

It's not odd at all. Those are the models that Vitamix sells to consumers, despite the 'pro' branding. Vita Preps have worse warranties, generally, since they're expected to get far more, and harder, use.
Understood, I just assumed with the current wave of pro-sumer customers it would be an obvious inclusion for an article like that.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Mr Executive posted:

My wife makes smoothies for breakfast everyday and we usually make some frozen drinks on weekends with occasional other cooking-related use of the blender throughout the week. I was starting to consider getting a Blendtect/Vitamix, but needing to stop/stir/scrape might be a dealbreaker.
There's a difference between something being so finely blended that you can't sense particulate matter on your tongue at all and something being chopped up. Like, we're talking about taking frozen vegetables and chopping them so finely in liquid that the resulting solution has the texture of heavy cream. It's not even the same drat sport.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Shere posted:

I'm looking for a blender specifically for the purposes of making daily protein smoothies, the idea being that I only want a single serving and I don't want to have to messy up a giant pitcher every day for just that. I saw this at Bed Bath and Beyond: http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/product.asp?SKU=17588915 and I like the idea of having multiple cups that I can just take and go, no need to even transfer the contents and plenty of clean cups so I don't have to worry about immediate cleanup if I do use a different container. I was wondering if anyone had experience with this or had any other recommendations to give.
I used to buy overspecialized stuff like this to provide for bright ideas that I had for my life. Then I realized that it's probably a better buy to just get a blender that is plain great at blending so that even if I stop taking my protein smoothies/want to use it for something else I'd still have a great tool for it. Kitchen equipment is tools.

Plus your smoothies will be much more smooth in something like a ninja.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

This works great for me:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000A7S636/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Unless you're really into the looks there's no reason to get a standing press.

Make sure you are using it the right way!!! I am almost positive that the majority of these in the country are used on fruit facing the wrong direction (cut side up instead of down)

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Are you guys sure you're doing it right?

Like this:

40 limes shouldn't be a problem, but again you know your needs better than I do.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Cuisinart multiclad is great - not copper core, but eh, whatever. My parents' house had All-Clad and I don't miss it at all. I do, however, miss the gas range terribly.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Gilgameshback posted:

I have a mix of Cuisinart multiclad and All-Clad and I don't notice much of a difference in cooking. The Cuisinart is much easier to clean for some reason.
If the choice is a set of all-clad or a set of multi-pro plus a vitamix - given that these two options cost the same - I'd go with the second every. single. time. and never feel sorry even for a second. The gains for All-Clad over multi-pro are small enough and the costs so high that it's something that I'd only say is worth it if you already have a top-of-the-line blender, amazing knives, a good range, all the other good poo poo (juicer/microplane etc) and a puddler. Which I think a lot of people here do, probably, but I'm trying to articulate where dollars are best allocated (in my experience)

angor posted:

Looking for two recommendations.
1. I have really lovely nonstick cookware right now. A small frying pan, large frying pan, and a few pots. I want something I can make risottos, sauces, pastas, etc in. I'll mostly be cooking for just myself, but may occasionally have people over for dinner (no more than 4-5 total)
I'm looking at these guys here:
http://www1.macys.com/shop/product/all-clad-stainless-steel-saucier-pan-2-qt-with-whisk?ID=571006
http://www1.macys.com/shop/product/all-clad-covered-deep-saucier-25-qt-stainless-steel?ID=583763&CategoryID=7552&kws=583763

2. I am deciding between getting a food processor or a stick blender or both. Again, it's only me, so I don't need something huge or anything. After doing some research, I came across this guy: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Bamix-Deluxe-Hand-Processor-Silver/dp/B001G5ZHWO/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1372072738&sr=8-1&keywords=bamix

Would I ever come across something that this wouldn't be able to handle? I want to keep my budget for the mixer at or around £100 (all of my electrics have to be from the UK.)
If that's your budget, do stick blender.

That saucier pan is probably the tenth pan you should be buying, if not later. (I'm omitting non-stick from the list as you seem to be full up!)

This is the one to use for risottos:
http://www.amazon.com/Cuisinart-MCP...e+pan+multiclad

Here's a good order for a lonely person:
1.) 12" fry pan (http://www.amazon.com/Cuisinart-MCP...lticlad+12-inch)
2.) 4 quart sauce pan (http://www.amazon.com/Cuisinart-MCP...quart+multiclad)
3.) 12" cast-iron (LODGE)
4.) 2 quart sauce pan (http://www.amazon.com/Cuisinart-MCP...cepan+multiclad)
5.) 6+ quart pressure cooker
6.) 5 1/2 quart saute pan (http://www.amazon.com/Cuisinart-MCP...e+pan+multiclad
7.) Dutch oven (I'm stupid so I got an oval staub. Realistically this is a stupid thing but I got it for nostalgic reasons and for cool oval braises)
8.) roasting pan w/ rack
9.) big cheap stockpot (MAYBE, I'm lazy so i'd probably use it for lobsters more often than stock and I'd just use the pressure cooker to make all the stock I need)
10.) that saucy pan thing, but lets face it you don't really need it

Really, the edges are cool for hollandaise or chocolate or whatever but largely unnecessary as most pots these days don't have very sharp edges anyways.

No Wave fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Jun 24, 2013

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

If thermomix was available in the US I'm sure there would be terrabytes dedicated to thermomix hax...

Fo3 posted:

Just buy the Cuisinart MCP-12 MultiClad Pro cookware set from amazon USA for about $270. http://www.amazon.com/Cuisinart-MCP...t+multiclad+pro
I didn't buy that set, bought individually pieces I wanted and had no problems getting them to Australia, (larger fry pan, larger stockpot, larger saute, and the 2 saucepans)
I do have to say that I'm a huge slut for the MCP but I really don't like this set. Nothing in it is 12" wide - it's kinda gimpy.

Especially because you'd be better off using the pressure cooker you should own in lieu of the stockpot for most uses (I mean, why have two pots that can hold the same quantity of liquid), 2 and 4 quart are slightly better sizes than 1.5 and 3 quart for saucepans, 8" fry pan is kind of pointless... etc. etc.

Getting a 2 quart saucepan, 4 quart saucepan, 12-inch skillet, and 5 1/2 quart saute pan seems more expensive, in that it costs roughly the same as this entire set, but in terms of surface area it comes out even and the pieces are frankly more useful. You'll want a 6 quart pressure cooker anyways (which often come with steamer inserts), a dutch oven to handle your braises (the lodge cast-irons are cheap as gently caress), and a 10" nonstick for eggz, so I don't really see you being down anything.

I bought an 8" non-stick t-fal and it was so small it was ridiculous. You could fit, like, one jumbo egg sunnyside up. Returned it even though I only got, like, $10 back after shipping.

No Wave fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Jun 24, 2013

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Also - just put in an order for the moritaka 240mm gyuto, dojo paring knife (thanks SubJesus), an edge faux, a 320 shapton glass stone and a 1000 shapton glass stone (thanks deimos).

a.) Should I get higher-grit stones as well?
b.) What kind of bevel should I be looking to put on the Moritaka and Dojo/what angle am I shooting for? I'm probably going to gently caress around on the stones with my fibrox boner and fillet de sole and stick with the factory edge on the Moritaka for a few months at least, but I'm curious about how to progress.
c.) How often does the hand american borosilicate come back in stock? Or is there a honer that is sufficient for these two knives that makes more sense?

Thanks!

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

My plan going forward is:

get .5 micron green paste
get balsa strop
get whatever honing rod chefknivestogo recommends

Then, for the knives, I will:
sharpen using only the 1000 grit at the angle/bevel that chefknivestogo tells me the knives already have (I'm assuming there's no need to reprofile them)
strop after sharpening
hone before/after usage

Is that about correct? For some reason sharpening in particular is something that I have a lot of trouble learning/making intuitive. I really, really appreciate the help because I've honestly gone crazy for weeks before because there are so many different techniques and I didn't know how to get started.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

GrAviTy84 posted:

For Japanese knives, do not hone before/after each use. They don't need it. You will only need to touch up the edges every month or so, if that. Honing every use is more for softer steels that need to be trued.

Honestly, I don't know how much you'll really notice from stropping. I like the edges I get from my 1200 grit waterstone.
I do like the idea of putting off the strop and the honing rod...

Unfortunately my current honing rod is a diamond steel that I got for my wicked sick German knives five years ago (whoops)

Will I get happy performance if I just take the edgepro out and use the 1000 grit stone every other month or so? Seems like an easy way to save a hundred bux for now until it bugs me. I would like this to be unapologetically sharp, though.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

SubG posted:

Depends on what you're used to. I expect a sharp knife to cut a tomato under its own weight and and for there to be little feeling of resistance when push cutting. Without stropping regularly I just don't get that, even if the edge is otherwise sharp enough to actually do the task. I don't know that everyone has that sort of expectation from their cutlery, or if most people would consider the additional performance worth the effort. But I definitely think even very hard steels get a lot out of routine stropping.
Is there a more bootleg option than the balsa/green powder? Like, I remember hearing that a manila folder worked. I want to see if I actually do strop before I drop the dollars (some things I'm just too lazy to do).

If it's over, like, ten dollars nm - i'm looking for something basically free to gently caress around with before I get the real deal.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

In your case, I think you'd get the most use out of the 5 1/2 quart saute pan - if you need a pan to boil pasta in you can get a cheapy in Bahrain. I may be overthinking this, but I think vegetarians often have to make a greater volume of food and require more surface area. I know I need all 12" whenever I make brussel sprouts, peppers, onions, heck anything that's not a solid piece of meat. Plus, it is undoubtedly the optimal pan for risotto.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Also, the usual sharpening confusion is coming on for me.

I'm having difficulty understanding (I'm not saying this sarcastically, I mean I'm having trouble interpreting the info) why sharpening over 1k would be overkill but stropping wouldn't be - it seems like for most edges you have to progressively build up to finer grits, but going straight from 1k to stropping seems to render that unnecessary (my understanding being that stropping is the equivalent of something like a 60k grit).

Also - most sources seem to say that going from 1k to 5k is totally possible and fine - meaning that, especially if I'm using the edge pro, what would be the advantage of using the 2k at all when I can go straight to 5k?

It seems like for my own sanity - as long as I'm learning the edge pro system - I'd do well getting a ceramic rod for routine honing, and a 1k and 5k stone to get me to wicked sharpness.

Basically, I can't understand how a 5k is overkill but stropping, which is the equivalent of a finer grit, isn't...

Again, I'm not trying to contradict anyone's experience, I'm just trying to figure out a framework that makes sense to me.

EDIT: Didn't see SubG's post above - will see the results I get with the 1k and a leather belt before laying down any more scratch. Am probably most interested in a honing rod next because I am lazy. The chefknifetogo person recommended that I get a mac black ceramic rod, but I'll probably hold out for the borosilicate... so 1k and leather belt for now.

No Wave fucked around with this message at 02:05 on Jun 25, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Wow - that is great. I feel so much better, finally.

So it looks like something we've been missing from our discussion is the distinction between slicing and push-cutting - slicing benefits from a slightly rougher edge, and push-cutting from an extremely polished one.

So I'll probably optimize my fish filleting knife and my deboner for slicing, ie, I won't go past the fine grit stone, and I'll just hone them afterwards. I'll sharpen them to 15 degrees, single bevel. I'll get my CCK cleaver extremely polished (maybe pick up another stone later, maybe just strop it for a while), as I'm more likely to use it for push-cutting motions, and I'll probably sharpen it to 20 degrees as the metal is a little softer. My paring knife would be better geared towards push-cutting, as well, but I'll probably go with 15 degrees because the metal is harder and can take it. I'll probably treat my chef's knife (the Moritaka gyuto) the same as the fish knife and deboner, though maybe with some stropping afterwards. With the option later to put on a 20 degree double bevel.

It's finally coming together! Thanks deimos. If this edge faux thing works out I'll be gifting my dad with a nice used chef's choice 110 system soon.

However, it does seem that a honing rod would be useful, and that ceramic will do just fine for my purposes.

No Wave fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Jun 25, 2013

• Locked thread