Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SilverSliver
Nov 27, 2009

by elpintogrande

Lackadaisical posted:

Good time for a new thread!

I have an embarrassing question. I got the paragard a month and a half ago and had no real side effects afterward. Right after my 6 week check up, I started having heavy bleeding. I know bleeding is to be expected, but there wasn't any for so long that I'm starting to get worried. This isn't even spotting. Is this normal or do I call the doctor about it?

Yep, welcome to your new period! It's pretty much like a faucet for awhile. There's 'on' and there's 'off'. I got my paragard in June of '10 and just the past 3 months I've been having a lead up and let down. (Even then it's just a few hours of spotting before the flood.) On the upside it doesn't last as long. But it does even out, just have to wait for your uterus to get used to it's new friend. :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SilverSliver
Nov 27, 2009

by elpintogrande

Lackadaisical posted:

Oh, I've had my period since I got the IUD and holy poo poo. This isn't as horrible as that, but it's lasting longer. This started happening a week after my period ended too. Can spotting really be that heavy or is it possible that when my doctor went in to check the IUD, she caused bleeding?

Just to be clear,

I got the IUD, got my period the next day. Got my period 4 weeks later and it lasted a week. At 6 weeks later, I went to get the IUD checked and the next day the bleeding started again.

I`ve heard all kinds of stories from people by reading this thread, as well as asking questions from the doctor/nurse/nurses at my workplace and I hear the same thing again and again:
Everyone's body is different, and will adapt to the IUD in it's own odd way. Reasons for concern are 1) frequent bleeding that causes you to worry. 2) clotting that causes you to worry lasting more than one day. 3) painful intercourse. 4) abdominal pain. 5) can't feel the strings.
So long as it's not one of these 5 things the general consensus is "Wait it out 6 months, things even out around then."
You'd most likely know if problems were caused when it was checked. Think about it, you'd feel a puncture. And movement would hurt you afterwards as well. The paraguard really is very tiny, fits in the palm of your hand.
I can tell you some horror stories myself. For example the first time I had my flow was the day after it was inserted as well and Christ on a cracker I was panicky. (Freaking murder scene in my underwear.) Then there was the time I was clotting... yeah... full blown actual panic attack over that one.
I seem to have my monthly visitor every three weeks-ish myself ever since I've had it put in. As I said, everyone's different.

SilverSliver
Nov 27, 2009

by elpintogrande

Bagleworm posted:

I'm confused by this statement. Clots in menstrual blood are completely normal. Menstrual blood contains an anti-coagulate, but in very heavy bleeds it doesn't always have time to "work" so clots can form. It can be a symptom of something else, but on its own its nothing to worry about.

Oh yes, clotting is perfectly normal. To a certain size, anyways. ;)

SilverSliver
Nov 27, 2009

by elpintogrande

Eggplant Wizard posted:

Hey so I know I even wrote the FAQ about discharge after IUDs but I was talking out of my butt, and now I'm curious about something coming from my vagina instead. I got an IUD put in nearly 2 weeks ago, and the spotting & bloody mucus have taped off to what seems to be just... mucus. Like, the biggest loogies you ever saw, but mucus. Is this going to be the whole time, or will it taper off too?

Secondly, my strings are really long, and this is probably a stupid question but hold my hand. Will a penis magically tangle on them and rip my IUD out? :ohdear:

From what I've asked/heard about, the mucous thing is totally individualized. For example I have none whatsoever, yet when I'm ovulating there's quite a bit of clear 'natural lubrication' (for lack of a better word - clear discharge just like when I'm very aroused) going on for 2-3 days. I've heard that it's not uncommon for others to have discharge like what you're experiencing as well though. Sometimes it changes down the road, sometimes it doesn't (So ultimately no, I really don't have an answer for you I suppose. Derp!)

Susan B. Anthony posted:

I have a question about natural family planning. My husband and I are using breastfeeding as our birth control--we do want another child, so it's not as risky as it might be. That said, I was wondering whether when I do ovulate again, it will look the same as it did when I wasn't breastfeeding--okay, that sounds weird, but I read TCOYF and could previously tell when I was ovulating. Will that likely still be true, or is everything different while you're lactating? Also, does anyone know how long on average breastfeeding stops ovulation? I know that once he starts sleeping through the night it's not as reliable, but I wondered whether there are stats out there somewhere. Thanks!
This is a highly unreliable form of birth control. I know you're a grown woman, but I just have to say it so that I know you've hopefully read it. A woman's body *loves* to be pregnant and give birth. After doing so, it starts shooting eggs out like a mofo in order to do it again. It's going to be really, really difficult to tell just when you're ovulating again. Unless you're okay with another baby so soon please, *please* use a condom.
I'm terribly sorry if this came out as rude, snotty or obnoxious.

SilverSliver
Nov 27, 2009

by elpintogrande

Pip pip pip posted:

I got my Mirena IUD inserted on Tuesday and it was so painful! The cramping is mostly gone now but I have felt really bloated ever since then. I know it is listed as a common side effect, but I am wondering if I can expect it to go away on its own soon or if there is something I can do about it? It's very uncomfortable and all my clothes (that used to feel loose) are tight. I've been on various pills in the past (Apri, Levora, Microgestin) and haven't had this bloating problem before.

Your womb is unhappy and complaining. All you can do is take ibuprofen, relax, and get your mind off of it. (Good book, favourite person to talk to, movie time...)
Some on here have said heating pads help, and I loved my hot water bottle the first few periods.

SilverSliver
Nov 27, 2009

by elpintogrande

Lackadaisical posted:

This is kind of awkward but I'm on my period after getting the paragard. There's swelling... Should I be worried?

Swelling in your abdomen I assume? Sounds pretty normal to me. This is your first period after getting your IUD and I tell you right now it's gonna be a *doozy*. Ibuprofen is your friend, not only helps with cramps but slows the flow as well. (Don't flip out, but your flow is going to be shockingly heavy at some point.)

SilverSliver
Nov 27, 2009

by elpintogrande

Moto Punch posted:

Trip report: I took ibuprofen and paracetamol an hour beforehand. All went well :) The doctor was really nice, she explained the procedure really well beforehand and showed each step and which parts would hurt. In the end my cervix refused to open so I had to get a local anesthetic injected to relax it (with a giant needle :gonk:). Apparently this has about a 50/50 success rate, and luckily it worked for me. I won't lie, the whole experience was pretty drat painful, but it was over quickly. I walked/bussed home afterwards. Haven't had any major cramps or excessive bleeding so far, but I think it'll take a few periods for things to really normalise, hopefully things stay this way though! Anyway, yeah, it was all pretty straightforward and professionally done, so it's definitely do-able for a non-child-having woman to get an IUD with no drama. It's a shame it's so tricky for some of you guys in the states - on the other hand, there's no way I'd trust a doctor who was hesitant to put one in me, I was very nervous about perforation beforehand, but my doctor was very experienced which put me at ease.

Sounds like you had a pretty funky doctor! Now, for your first few periods *don't freak out*. :D

SilverSliver
Nov 27, 2009

by elpintogrande

miss_chaos posted:

O HIGH PRIESTESSES OF THE CONTRACEPTIVE DEVICE MEGATHREAD. A humble request for help.

I got my period today while about to finish my second straight packet of the Pill. Not just a little spotting, but a full period - albeit not as heavy as usual. I still have three days of hormonal tablets left. Is the Pill not working for this to happen? I got flu last week and threw up about 6 hours after taking the Pill, but I'm pretty sure that's outside of the absorption danger zone. WTF?

Do you mean you took this months pills straight after last months with no week off them/week of placebo pills and didn't have a period last month?
If that's the case it sounds like your body was ready to have a period and did so. (If you had yakked up the pill last week and 'missed a day' and it caused your period to start it would have started before now.)

SilverSliver
Nov 27, 2009

by elpintogrande

Egad! posted:

Good news everyone, it's a suppository!

Oh wow, that was spoken in Professor Farnsworth's voice in my head.

SilverSliver
Nov 27, 2009

by elpintogrande

Miss Michi posted:

It has been four days since I had a Paragard copper IUD inserted, and the blood flow has been steadily increasing ever since. The strange thing is that my period had ended only three days prior to the insertion. There isn't very much pain involved at this point--just some slight cramping. The doctor did say that there would be a little bleeding, but does the IUD usually induce full-on periods like this when it is first put in? Why would that be possible with a non-hormonal birth control method?

Bagelworm said it right. Remember that copper makes blood flow, so your uterus is going to be a bit overexcited for the first while. It took my body about 10 months to get back to normal. And the first 3 months were borderline panicky for me. Your body is going to do weird things concerning your period for the first bit, accept that. So long as there isn't any pain you can't rationalize to yourself there's no reason to worry. There will be extra cramping, there will be extra bleeding.
But then 5 years worry free sex! :pervert:

SilverSliver
Nov 27, 2009

by elpintogrande

1337 haxxor pirate posted:

Well, I took Planned Parenthood's birth control quiz and my only result was sterilization. :v: I'm nineteen and have had no childrens, this isn't an option for me. Hormones ruined me, so I'm considering a copper IUD sort of deal but am terrified about the risks. Any ladies willing to share stories about the procedure/effectiveness of this birth control?

I'm one year into my IUD. I have average periods, and the first three months after getting it was floodsville. Then it began to taper off and now it's pretty much normal again with the occasional day of 'wow'.
It's a 'pinchy' feeling getting it put in and you cramp for a day or two after, but it's nothing that advil liquigels won't fix. From what I've seen it's not for people that have low pain tolerance or get squeamish easily/grossed out by their own bodies.
The worry free sex at any time rocks.

SilverSliver
Nov 27, 2009

by elpintogrande
I'm in Canada and I paid 60.00 for my Paraguard at the sexual health clinic. It was more for the Mirena (Somewhere around 200 I think), but I was trying to get away from hormones so it worked out for me just fine. I'm guessing that OHIP is willing to pay more for the Paraguard than the Mirena...?

SilverSliver fucked around with this message at 03:34 on Jul 10, 2013

SilverSliver
Nov 27, 2009

by elpintogrande

fork bomb posted:

Alternatively, just swipe down there with your deodorant in the morning after you shower.

Also a good trick to use for if you shave your ladyparts for the first time in awhile to avoid those little red bumps. :science:

Hello again baby bannin' thread! Once upon a time at the beginning of this thread I was chiming in about my experience with the Paraguard. That went... not okay for me and I had it removed. (guess who has a sensitivity to copper?)
A year and a half later I'm rockin' a new Mirena. My reproductive system decided to go into eject mode for 3 months straight and my hemoglobin went waaay down. This little number has stopped that and I'm baby free for 5 years. Woot!

SilverSliver
Nov 27, 2009

by elpintogrande

ExpletiveDeleted posted:

Yeah, the lower hormone thing was definitely a factor for me in choosing Mirena over the implant. Been about two and a half weeks and everything's going good so far! Minus all the spotting, but that's to be expected.

I do have a really goofy question though. Has anybody had Mirena negatively affect their sex drive? It seems like everybody here said they had more of a sex drive on Mirena vs higher hormone methods. However, mine is still really screwed up, even though I quit the medicine I thought was the problem (SSRI) about three weeks ago, and I was hoping things would have evened out after I did that. I guess there are tons of other factors in my life aside from that and Mirena that could be causing the problems, though. Just wanted to see what other people's experiences were on that side of things.

I was on birth control pills off and on from 16 to early 30's. (Stopped to have my two kidletts) They didn't effect my sex drive until the mid to late 20's and I didn't even notice that it had until I went off of them. Somewhere around 5-6 weeks after I stopped taking them I realized "Boy am I horny more than usual..."
Wasn't on anything before getting my Mirena 'installed' 3 weeks ago. I didn't want anything to do with sex for about 10 days (the procedure was crampy for a few days and then I got my period, and that was VERY crampy/bloaty/I love you ibuprofen), but now I'm *barely* spotting and sex is a GO! It seems about the same.

edit: heeey lookit me, I apparently have no idea what 'ssri's' are. :downs: Thanks google!

SilverSliver fucked around with this message at 00:38 on May 23, 2013

SilverSliver
Nov 27, 2009

by elpintogrande

sexily posted:

Ladies with Paragard: have you experienced a decrease in your period flow? I'm on my third period since getting the Paragard and each one has been less and less. My first one was the river of blood that I was expecting but the following 2 have been less than what they were pre-IUD.

I had the Paraguard for a year and half. The first period was a doozy, and then it was p much what Kimmalah said: one wow day and a sharp tapering off. Every 5-6 months I would have another doozy though I'm not sure if that is typical seeing as Paraguard did not work out for me and I had it removed.

In other news my Mirena is still good. First period is done and I'm spotting barely every 2-3 days. When I do spot it feels very mildly crampy and sort of bloaty.

Both times I got my IUD's it was at my doctor's suggestion. He's a bit of an IUD fanatic - no joke. If he gets onto the subject his eyes light up and he'll ramble on about how the Mirena saves more women from having hysterectomies due to menorrhagia, and that IUD's in general should just be 'free for every woman!'.

SilverSliver
Nov 27, 2009

by elpintogrande
Definitely make an appointment for as soon as you can. Tell them on the phone what is happening and don't sugar coat it.
This sounds very similar to what happened to me recently. I was all "Oh calm down Silver, your body's just doing weird things.." when my doctor called me first thing in the morning the day after I had blood works done to tell me that my hemoglobin was almost at transfusion levels and to SIT DOWN.

If you are tired all the time, having heart palpitations for no reason(it's a very different feeling to a panic attack and you'd notice the difference), much paler than usual, and soaking a pad every hour for multiple hours go to the hospital. :sympathy:

edit: In my case the first time it happened it was :supaburn: for 4 days straight and the second time it was a long slow three month process of consta-period.

SilverSliver fucked around with this message at 01:51 on May 29, 2013

SilverSliver
Nov 27, 2009

by elpintogrande
I actually don't have an answer yet other than menorrhagia out of the blue. I'm guessing that it's genetic though because the same thing happened to my maternal Grandmother, and to a lesser degree my Mother.
The first time it happened I had the Paraguard and found out that my body isn't a copper fan. It was 4 days of whoa ending with getting two blood transfusions and it was stopped with Cyklokapron(tranexamic acid).
The second time it was absolutely nothing. I got my period about a week early and it continued for three months. Cyklokapron was tried again but didn't work as well as it did previously. Got some blood work done to take a look at my hormone levels and was called the next morning by my doctor. Hemoglobin was at 70, so he called in an emergency prescription for birth control pills and that did stop it within 24 hours. Went to see him the next day and he put in my Mirena.
I was all "Just take it out - I'm not using it!" but he wanted to try the Mirena first and so far so good. (It's been three weeks now and I'm spotting *barely* after getting a p normal period)
I've had more blood work done and going in for a check up in a few weeks.
edit: I was given very thorough looksees at my abdomen. Internal and external sonograms, blood levels checked, and poked and prodded by multiple doctors in the hospital. Found functional cysts on my ovaries and a thick uterine lining - all normal stuff for women my age and nothing funny with my uterus at all.

SilverSliver fucked around with this message at 23:16 on May 29, 2013

SilverSliver
Nov 27, 2009

by elpintogrande
I got my Mirena a little over a month ago and I'm on my 'period'. I use quotation marks because it's just spotting but the cramps suck rocks. It's turned me into a bit of a sucky whiny baby because I didn't get bad cramping before. Ibuprofen is my buddy. And holy hells do my boobs hurt. Anyone else get a case of itchy nipples? It's happened before during my period but this is almost obnoxious.

SilverSliver
Nov 27, 2009

by elpintogrande

Geolicious posted:

YES OH GOD ITS AWFUL

Hahahaha. Trying to nonchalantly scratch in public - there's the 'upper inner arm' manoeuvre while you scratch the back of your neck, the 'casual inner wrist' while you fix your necklace, and the ever popular 'fixing my bra strap' in vain hopes that the bra will scratch it for you.

SilverSliver fucked around with this message at 22:09 on Jun 11, 2013

SilverSliver
Nov 27, 2009

by elpintogrande
Woops. Hit the wrong button. :/

SilverSliver
Nov 27, 2009

by elpintogrande

Silly Kitty posted:

Does anyone have any experience with getting Mirena removed? I've had it in for 2 years and it's hardly gotten any more tolerable. I'm still having nasty cramps, bleeding, and my period every 2-3 weeks. I'm ready to go back to to back to birth control pills. I miss my pain free, 2 day, barely there periods. I'm just hella nervous because insertion was awfully painful and I had trouble walking for close to a week after.

I've experienced removal with Paraguard. Crampy/ouchie but not nearly as much as insertion. See if you can have it removed as close as possible to when you're on your period/bleeding. Things are already dilated then.

SilverSliver
Nov 27, 2009

by elpintogrande

The Spookmaster posted:

My girlfriend has had a number of problems in the past as far as extreme mood swings and depression on birth control so she really doesnt want to go back on the pill or patch. we currently just use condoms but I worry about not having a backup just in case. Do some of the other options have "less" side effects as far as mood than others or is really just a person to person thing.

Also where the hell is male birth control. I would take that poo poo religiously.

Unfortunately it's a lot of trial and error for some to find the right hormone combo. Although the Paraguard is a copper IUD with no hormones in it. Perhaps she could try talking to her doctor about that or the cervical ring/NuvaRing? Apparently the hormones in that are not as touchy for people.

SilverSliver
Nov 27, 2009

by elpintogrande
Acne: 2.5% works well for me as well. I also like to put some tea tree oil on my face before I go to bed.

Tshirt Ninja: You *should* be okay though it's never a for certain thing. You should not worry at all because it's not going to help you to, and does no good. :P Two weeks is the norm for a test, just be sure to get one that detects the potential early pregnancy hormone or go to your Dr/local birth control clinic for a test. (Ps: wassamatta you?! Condoms girlie! Unprotected sexin' is bad. Bad Tshirt Ninja. Bad! :argh:)
:sympathy:

SilverSliver
Nov 27, 2009

by elpintogrande

Tshirt Ninja posted:

Not pregnant! IUD placement scheduled 2 weeks from now when I've had my period. Best OBGYN visit ever.

Yay! :neckbeard:
Which one are you getting? Either way you're gonna love it. Take some ibuprofen about an hour or two before hand and enjoy your baby free sexin'. (Condoms condoms condoms for new partners though! Did I mention condoms yet? Condoms.)

SilverSliver
Nov 27, 2009

by elpintogrande

Tshirt Ninja posted:

Mirena! I'm stoked.

My partner is not new by any stretch; we're tested regularly and have done just fine for 8 months with the pill and withdrawal but I got very freaked out this month since it's the first time I haven't taken my pill perfectly in a long time. Paranoia is a good thing (condoms are better).

Glad to hear it! And I'm sorry that I assumed otherwise. Friends? :D
You are gonna love the Mirena. All the sex, none of the worry. And lesser periods. :dance:

ps: Why would there be a worry about cyst removals with Mirena/an IUD? Is the cyst in the womb or on the ovary?
edit: Oh... getting a cyst. Read that wrong. :downs:

SilverSliver fucked around with this message at 09:38 on Jul 6, 2013

SilverSliver
Nov 27, 2009

by elpintogrande

broken pixel posted:

There have been some changes in my life recently. First, I switched from Safryal (think it's essentially Yasmin with vitamins) to Lo-Ogestrel 1.5 months ago, so my body is still adjusting to the new formula. Weeks 1 and 2 have been difficult, with intermittent nausea and irritability. I have yet to have a normal period during my placebo week; the only time I've bled since starting the new medication was a few days around week 2 in pack 1. Overall, it's been manageable with no other obvious/notable side effects. In addition to that change, I've traveled 6 hours into the future and have been battling jet lag. I'm also a lot--and I mean a lot--more physically active since arriving in Europe.

Yesterday night, I did my regular check up to see how my lady parts are doing. When I checked my ovaries, I noticed something strange: my left ovary feels larger than my right... Not like there's a lump so much as swelling or something. As far as I know, this hasn't happened before. I don't know if anything I mentioned above is relevant, but I feel like I should check in. Should I give it a few days and see what happens, or is this too abnormal to be ignored? I figure it's better to ask than dwell on it, like the anxiety-ridden person I am, until clinics open on Monday. I doubt it's super serious, but I know how weird the lady reproductive system can get.

I mean, if I should/have to go to the doctor, it's okay! I have more insurance in Europe than I do back home. :toot: Hooray!

Functional cysts are normal and most women get them during their childbearing years. They generally occur when an egg is getting ready to be released but does not actually come out, causing swelling with fluid. They usually go away after another 2 or 3 cycles. They are not painful but feel odd.
That being said, yes you absolutely should get it checked out. Always better safe than sorry.

SilverSliver
Nov 27, 2009

by elpintogrande

Grape Soda posted:

I had a horrible, horrible crampfest last night thanks to Mirena. Splitting pain all throughout my abdomen, tunnel vision, lightheaded, I could barely walk to the next room to get some tylenol in me which took an agonizingly long time to kick in. Everything seems to be where it's supposed to be, so I don't think it was trying to expel, I just thought I was dying for a little while. I've also noticed I'm lightheaded a lot, which I've finally realized is probably from my Mirena. I see it's a potential side effect, so ehh, not much I can do until my body calms down. Ugh.

Yeah, about two weeks-ish after mine was installed(never get tired of saying that!) I was camping out in cramptown for oh... three days when I got my first period. It's been two months now and the second period was much better and lighter. Now I'm just spotting off and on, but it's very very light.

I hope you're feeling better soon Satyr, it sounds like you're having a poo poo time of it. Whine all you like, it's what we're here for! :sympathy:

SilverSliver
Nov 27, 2009

by elpintogrande
Tshirt Ninja: It's gonna be crampy and a bit ouchie. You may or may not deviate from how you usually have your period. And it's gonna be fine. If you hate it, it's no biggie to have it removed. :D

SilverSliver
Nov 27, 2009

by elpintogrande

jai Mundi posted:

Hey Ladies.

I am thinking about switching from paragard to mirena. I was wondering if anyone had done the same?

I would like to keep:
- idiot-proof, effective, long term birth control

I would like to ditch:
- Hideous, Murder-pants periods. Seriously, a super plus tampon every three hours?

I am worried about :
- Losing my sex drive, due to hormonal birth control pills.

Can anyone shed some light on this?

I had the paraguard and that's how it was working for me as well. A little over a year after having it removed I got the mirena. After two months my periods are now just spotting and my sex drive is fine.

SilverSliver
Nov 27, 2009

by elpintogrande

NewsGunkie posted:

Turns out I had a cyst, which is entirely what I expected.
What I didn't expect was that it would be over 3x the size of my normal left ovary. The doctor thinks that it likely burst with my period over the weekend, but I've got a followup ultrasound in a month.

Ow. Ow ow ow. :(
Are you feeling any better?

SilverSliver
Nov 27, 2009

by elpintogrande

Tshirt Ninja posted:

So is this common? I've bled 9 of the last 10 days that I've had my Mirena. I wouldn't really call that "spotting" like all the pamphlets told me - it's straight up bleeding.

Yes, you're fine. Everyone takes to it different. I spotted for a few days and then got a week long period. Then spotted off and on for a month, and got a lesser period. I'm three months in now and it was three weeks of nothing, and then a lesser than the last month period. If all I wind up with is spotting I'll be happy, hell I'm just happy to not be taking a pill everyday.

SilverSliver
Nov 27, 2009

by elpintogrande

Bollock Monkey posted:

Ah, a relevant time for me to ask this question!

For the ladies who still get periods with Mirena, how do you know when you're going to come on? I haven't had a 'proper' period for nearly ten years (hooray for the pill), so I vaguely remember tracking my cycle and what a pain it was to have to wear a pad for about 3 days before the date I calculated I was due. I assume it would be much the same as this? Or is it even less predictable than that? How common is totally random spotting? The idea of ruining heaps of underwear is incredibly unappealing...

You remember your body's cycle after 2 or 3 months. (I was worried about this too!) For example mine is: "Wow my boobs hurt" - "All food should be covered in chocolate" - Start wearing undies I care nothing for(or a liner). For the first month-ish/initial bleeding just wear a liner all the time. Sucks yeah, but it winds up being worth it. I now know that it's around the same time every month to start watching for it.

SilverSliver
Nov 27, 2009

by elpintogrande

Triangulum posted:

How long should it take me to get back to normal after getting an IUD inserted?

I got a Mirena put in on Thursday to (hopefully) help control endometriosis symptoms and it was probably the most painful experience of my life. The insertion wasn't too bad but the cramping afterwards was bad enough that I wasn't able to walk or move around for the rest of the day even after taking a couple of Norcos. It's easing up some but I'm still having to take pain meds to function and any sort of physical activity is totally out of the question.

How much longer is this gonna hurt because this really sucks

My body did weird cramping things for about a week. You should be over the worst of it now, with every day getting better. Your first period may be a day or two of aching but nothing like the past few days for you. Then the one after that is even easier, etc. (I had a Mirena put in to stop menorrhagia symptoms. For about three days it sucked rocks)

SilverSliver
Nov 27, 2009

by elpintogrande
What age are you?
edit: read the post Silver! :downs:
What are you currently using for birth control?

The reason I asked was because if you are not on any kind of hormonal birth control pill there are pills you can get from your doctor that help to clear up acne though they mess with hormonal birth control which is a 'why bother' situation.
Ultimately it sounds to me like you don't like the idea of the birth control pill so don't! Try different washes and see what works for you.
Ask around in here for advice or try out this thread: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3519520

SilverSliver fucked around with this message at 12:21 on Aug 11, 2013

SilverSliver
Nov 27, 2009

by elpintogrande
Can anybody help out An Old Boot in the 'Tell Me About How You Deal with Endometriosis' thread?
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3567918

SilverSliver
Nov 27, 2009

by elpintogrande

awesome-express posted:

So uh, 2 weeks ago my girlfriend and I were getting it on, and the condom broke (I did not ejaculate). We didn't notice the breakage until everything was done. She didn't take the morning after pill and now her period is 9 days late. She did a pregnancy test this morning and the negative line is barely visible. How hard should I be making GBS threads my pants now?

Not ejaculating doesn't matter as pre ejaculate does the job just as well. Get her to a sexual health clinic for a test there as the store bought ones are not always reliable depending on what kind you bought. Don't poo poo your pants. Take a breath, it's not the end of the world.

SilverSliver
Nov 27, 2009

by elpintogrande

awesome-express posted:

Well *assuming* it's a positive, and non of us want anything resembling a kid, abortion is the next logical step. Are they carried out this early in the process? What kind of support should I show? Since I'm completely lost and am freaking the hell out about this whole ordeal. Oh god.

If she is pregnant and the decision is for an abortion then yes they are carried out the earlier the better.
If that is the case just be there for her for whatever she may need whether it's someone to talk to, a shoulder to cry on.
Now those were a few if's that I tossed out. Calm down. Perhaps she's stressed out and that's causing her period to be late. Go and get the test done to be sure. Freaking out will not help you. Whatever happens all will be okay. It doesn't feel like it right now but it will be.

SilverSliver
Nov 27, 2009

by elpintogrande

CeramicPig posted:

Got a Mirena put in yesterday, which is super exiting to finally have it in. I wanted to get one last year but the doctor I was at told me she ethically couldn't because I may meet some man who makes me change my mind about wanting children (no joke), despite having been (and still in) a long term, monogamous relationship. So when my pill script ran out instead of just calling the doctor for a refill I made an appointment with another doctor to get this in. My insertion was more painful than all of you make it sound, but maybe I'm just a wuss. I've had some pretty mild-average cramping today and no bleeding so far but I'm sure there's still time for it.

The paperwork I was given seemed to have really dramatic (or dated) suggestions for after care (No driving for 24 hours after insertion, stay on bed rest) and I'm sure it's been answered a million times, but I'll ask anyways, when can the bf and I test this thing out? :pervert:

I'm with you - it was more owie for me than most have stated in here. Physically you can test it out whenever you feel comfortable doing so. Birth control wise you're good after 7 days.
"Hormonal IUDs are effective immediately if inserted within seven days after the start of your period. If you have Mirena or Skyla inserted at any other time during your menstrual cycle, use another method of birth control like a condom, female condom, or spermicide if you have vaginal intercourse during the first week after insertion. Protection will begin after seven days."
From here: http://www.plannedparenthood.org/health-topics/birth-control/iud-4245.htm

SilverSliver
Nov 27, 2009

by elpintogrande

silversiren posted:

How do you know when pain after getting an IUD is a pain you should go to the doctor for?
Last night I was feeling up there and noticed the strings out of place and I kind of recall her saying something about if the strings moved, to come back in, but she gave me a boat-load of drugs because I told her I'd be freaking out about the insertion, so I don't know if I'm remembering that correctly or not. However this morning when I got up, I had a sharp tugging and pulling pain and it's continued throughout the day, still just a tugging kind of pain. Should I make a visit back to the doc or am I getting paranoid? :ohdear:

e: I scheduled an appointment with a different doctor tomorrow because I did a little inspection and I can actually feel the tip of the thing poking out of my cervix. :(

That sharp tugging/pulling pain is what I felt as well, with cramping. Lasted about 2-3 days. Feeling it poke out of your cervix is not ideal though, definitely see that doctor. But there's also no reason to panic about it, the worst that will happen is that it gets taken out. (Not nearly as ouchie as having it put in, oddly enough) Though he may just seat it up a bit further.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SilverSliver
Nov 27, 2009

by elpintogrande

silversiren posted:

I can feel the tip of my IUD poking out of my cervix again...
I had sex last night for the first time since getting it reinserted, but I checked myself after and everything felt fine. Just checked again and I can feel it, sticking out a fair buy more than it did last time.
I'm so upset. I don't want to get it taken out again, and I don't want to have to go through the pain of getting it reinserted. Again. The doctor the second time around kept asking me it I was sure I wanted to go through it all again, and they all were very hesitant about giving me an answer if it happened again.
If this doesn't work out I have no options left for birth control except hoping my boyfriend will get a vasectomy.
What should I do? I don't have the pain like I did the first time, but it is definitely sticking out. Do i maybe just have a small uterus? Should I just not worry about it? Will this effect its effectiveness? Can this cause issues for my reproductive parts? Will my boyfriend be able to feel it (he is way above average) and will it hurt him?
Just help me out here please, I'm freaking out again.

Okay big breath. Goooosefraba.....
Make an appointment with your doctor and get him to look at it. I had a bad experience with the paraguard and later got the mirena and it's been 5 months of just fine for me. If your body is rejecting it, then that's what's happening and that's all there is to it. Make and appointment and see your doctor. Ask him what's going on.
You're going to be okay. You will find a birth control option that works for you. This is just a bump in the road.

Chiba City Blues posted:

I've been on the pill for about 1.5 years now for cysts and other reproductive weirdness and I just recently became sexually active in a monogamous relationship. Honestly, I'm pretty bad about taking my birth control pill every day even though I'm very on point with other daily medications I take. Because of this, we use condoms. I find that despite my kind of erratic schedule with the pill (sometimes taken a few hours late, sometimes a dose skipped all together, no more than 3 pills skipped a month) I find that my reproductive issues are still taken care of and I no longer suffer from erratic periods, super painful cramps, and super heavy periods.
I was looking into an IUD, if it would be covered by my insurance, since I'm so terrible with the pill. I know the IUD works as a contraceptive, but will it have the same benefits on my funny reproductive organ symptoms? I read on the Planned Parenthood website that IUDs (Mirena, at least) actually have a risk of causing cysts when that was something I was trying to curb by getting on the pill in the first place. What about the other symptoms I mentioned? Having steady contraception I don't have to worry about is great but I wouldn't see the point if it had no effect on the symptoms I got on the pill for in the first place, you know?

Hey Chibs! :respek:
Well do you have a planned parenthood in the area? Go in and ask some questions. There are so many options that could work out for you. From nuvaring to implanon.... but they are the ones that are going to have answers for you better than anyone else. I know that the Mirena slows your period down if not stops it all together but I'm not sure about how it works with cysts.
Have you thought about training yourself to take the pill at a certain time every day during a certain situation? Eg: if you have a cell phone set it for oh let's say dinner time with a "TAKE YOUR PILL" reminder. Or what I used to do is put my pills on top of my alarm clock. When it went off in the morning and I went to smack the button I hit the pills and thought "Oh yeah... take one of those."

If the pill is working for you try to train yourself better?

SilverSliver fucked around with this message at 08:24 on Oct 21, 2013

• Locked thread