Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

If you guys are serious about this someone who is playing should aggregate who is going where - it is hard to read through and remember what everyone has said over the past x posts. Someone make a list and post it, then everyone can update it as they go (reposting the whole thing with their intended move listed).

edit: If PTN is okay with that? Dunno if it would be too gamey?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

raverrn posted:

It's not that hard to click through a page or two and ctrl-f the hex number you want to end in. I don't think we really need a list.
I'm just saying thats what I would do if I was playing and it was allowed. Theres already been some confusion and I'm not in this match though so :shrug:

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

PoptartsNinja posted:

I'm pretty sure it was him.
Agreed. I definitely feel like it was him doing the intro at the beginning of the video.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

I cannot wait for :battletech: to happen to PTN's 2/2 Wyvern pilot.

anakha posted:

You can also turn right and take the road going from 1132 to 1430, or left going to where the Mongoose currently is, to hide from that patrolling Mech, but that will end up splitting up the group, which could screw us over if the Wyvern survives and calls for reinforcements. Your call.
I get the impression (as an observer) that the reinforcements will not be immediate - they will not appear on your heads, so I dont think it is that big of a risk?

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

PoptartsNinja posted:

The Wyvern isn't a 2/2.
Oh I got 'em backwards :(

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Hooo boy that is a star of mean looking mechs on the south end of the map.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

:stonk: What is a "HAG-40"?!?

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Strobe posted:

So hey, this is a really out there suggestion, but I think we should have somebody respond to their challenges individually. Especially the Hunchback IIC. The ammo on that thing is stupidly limited, and by forcing it to go through us one at a time we can limit the damage it does instead of letting it fire indiscriminately at whatever target is easiest/most dangerous. It'll be easier to go through three 'Mechs than it will to go through the 11 left on the field.
If I were a player I would totally advocate for accepting the challenge.

dis astranagant posted:

That's probably not an option. You don't have to worry about anything but the Keshik star but you're all going to have to come at them with everything you have.
I'm not really sure how it is going to work, because the Khan said that if the players accept the challenge they would only have to fight two other mechs first, one at a time, but I would assume that it would be in single combat...

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

PoptartsNinja posted:

It's not, you'll notice they're both free to engage everyone.
I'm glad you are here to set things straight :v:

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Xarbala posted:

Note you may recall that Clan Hell's Horses are caught in a rock and a hard place between the incoming second clan invasion and the DracSuns and it looks like Grier Siedman would rather not throw in with the homeworlders. This also lines up a lot with CHH's policies re: Inner Sphere, they're not here for conquest, but for uplifting, and are pretty strongly in the Warden Clans camp or nearest AUBT analog.

So my read on the sitch is that this Trial of Absorption isn't really for the DracSuns' sake, it's for theirs. He's basically formalizing a possible surrender by the books according to Clan policy and this is the best way to ensure the Hell's Horses respect that.
Now just have to hope that every goonlance pilot reads this and what you quoted + bolded earlier, otherwise one shot into the wrong target could ruin everything.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Jade Star posted:

Do we have to fight the two clanners 1v1 or is this a everyone vs the hunch and timberwolf deal?
Not to be a dick here but are you reading the thread? The end of the last page answers your question. And a post like 5 up from yours with bolded text on this page.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Gwaihir posted:

I would have loved to play as Grier and potentially kill Hanse, but him wielding those two HAG40s with gunnery 0 is definitely a good runner up
Grier is going to melt whatever he shoots and it is going to be hilarious to watch.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Jade Star posted:

Well you failed at not being a dick.

Maybe some people don't read mechwarrior lore or know what the gently caress trials of absorption or condensation are. Or if it had to be 1v1 or if he's really offering 13v2 cause that seems dumb. But hey, thanks for trying not to be a dick.

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

Not to be a dick here but are you reading the thread? The end of the last page answers your question. And a post like 5 up from yours with bolded text on this page.
Please point out where I was critical of you because you did not know the lore? You asked "Do we have to fight the two clanners 1v1 or is this a everyone vs the hunch and timberwolf deal?" which someone else answered on that same page and someone else answered five posts before you asked. That has nothing to do with knowing the lore, so way to continue to prove that you are functionally illiterate. Please also see:

mercenarynuker posted:

Nah man, he said that cuz one of PTN's posts shortly before yours addresses that specific concern. I get not reading every poster's screed (looking at you, Paradise Lost thread), but this wasn't quite that

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

PoptartsNinja posted:

Please relax and let the players do their things. I'd rather get asked questions than not and have a player shoot up the Thunderbolt and free all the Clanners to go all Grand Melee because they were too afraid to ask if they missed something.
Sorry, Jade Star has repeatedly been really stupid and I am having a terrible day so I wanted to poo poo on him.

edit: I'll cut it out, though

AAAAA! Real Muenster fucked around with this message at 16:48 on Nov 3, 2017

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Psion posted:

this is the worst fuckin' apology. either say you're sorry or not, but trying to get one last jab in at the same time is mediocre. stop being a child regardless of how good or bad someone else's posting is
Hey, I was trying to be nice the first time I posted when he asked a question where the answer was a few posts back, then he decided to be a dick anyway. Feel free to be mad at me and call me names but dont look the other way when I didnt start it.

I really dont want to poo poo this thread up anymore than I have so I'm going to go back to just reading it unless I have something meaningful to add. If you want to bitch at me feel free to find me on Discord.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

painedforever posted:

... huh. Well, I'd buy that for a dollar.

Does the Hatamoto-Chi exist in this universe? I might have missed it. It's funny that none of the Hatamoto variants had melee weapons. The Dracs didn't make a melee 'Mech until well after the Clan invasion, the No-Dachi.

All the big names seem to prefer the Grand Dragon though.
If I remember correctly there was a Hatamoto-Chi in the mission prior to the current one.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

I believe it is hexes traversed not movement points spent.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Who gave PGI the power to create their own mechs, wtf.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

PoptartsNinja posted:

The only word that can be used to describe the Ghost Bears prior to Mechwarrior 2: Ghost Bear's Legacy is "inept"
Was it the Ghost Bears who completely dropped the ball on supplying their invasion forces and had a phase where they took almost no planets, then after they got their poo poo in gear they went hog wild?

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

I'm surprised defenders dont have a more huge advantage in Battletech, since you would think the major powers would have have a decent amount of local defensive soldiers on every planet, with no intention of moving them. Since moving on the offense is severely limited by cargo space, unlike in 1944. "Yes, sure, they landed with two companies of battlemechs - we have several dozen tanks and a hundred thousand infantry defending each major city. Come at me bro."

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Defiance Industries posted:

Well, unless they have a hollowed out mountain range to hunker down in.
I dont get this reference :(

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

PoptartsNinja posted:

It's not a reference.

The SLDF used to build "Castles Brian" which were basically fortresses carved into mountains and used as defensive strongpoints. They weren't unassailable, but they were extremely difficult to nuke and mountains have too much mass for orbital bombardments to whittle them down much.

The NRWR stronghold in the LP is built along similar lines, albeit it's new construction.
Ahhh gotchya, I do remember reading about those a little. Makes sense.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

What I find interesting is that with the Draconis Combine having just recovered their capitol planet and the Federated Suns having lost the Duchy of New Syrtis with the merger, they are both smaller and weaker, so they kinda have to stay friendly because if they fight they may get eaten. I am also surprised that the Duchy didnt get punked by the Capellans, but I just started following the thread closely a few months ago so I may have missed some things that explained what was going on over there.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Zaodai posted:

The CapCon got interdicted by ComStar, so nobody really knows what is going on over there. We know the CapCon has Clan scientists, who should be able to resolve their "ComStar took away your HPG privileges" problem, and also gave them a prototype for an AI controlled Mech/Drone system.

Presumably the CapCon is busy stabilizing their situation internally before dealing with things externally, but they should be in a pretty good position post time-skip.
drat. This is what I get for not reading the thread from the beginning. How did they get Clan scientists and why in the world would they be building AI mech/drone system(s)? Is that related to what I think I remember seeing someone say about the New Rim Worlds Republic having some advanced AI droneships for space combat?

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

I've never done a theatre vote before, what do I do? :ohdear:

edit: Quoting for top of page:

PoptartsNinja posted:

“With respect.”

Sitting in seiza, Robert Korean didn’t move so much as a centimeter as he made his measured reply. Hanse had attempted, against Chandrasekhar Kurita’s recommendation, to sit in seiza precisely once. He’d regretted it after less than ten minutes, and had felt the attempt in his knees for a few days afterwards. Momentarily, he envied the young.

“Someone must watch the Hell’s Horses, and doubly-so watch those who would seek to exploit them. I will walk among the Hell’s Horses, and I will report on them honestly. If they are making an effort to change, I shall report that. If they are not, I shall request you destroy them. Utterly and without pity.”

Robert’s dark brown eyes looked almost black in the dim light. His face was as devoid of joy as any Hanse had ever met, possessing instead the grim countenance of one who had not only been told the greatest duty he could perform for his country was sweeping manure, but who had likewise decided to carry out that duty to the best of his ability.

Hanse tipped his head, “The worlds they will be granted are those that have been the most devastated by the constant struggles between the Combine and the Suns. If the Hell’s Horses can’t return the old factories to full functionality, no one can. I expect the challenge will be to their liking,” he pressed his fingertips together, “but if it isn’t, and if defending the worlds of the Draconis Combine and Federated Suns isn’t enough challenge for them, we’ll be ready to finish them for good.”

Robert tipped his head in turn. “I have my doubts, but the Hell’s Horses shall find me an incorruptible watchdog. I do have a more personal request: after the Hell’s Horses took Luthien, I was separated from someone. I have not found her yet, but—”

“Say no more.” Isoroku Kurita interrupted, “Give her name to my aide, we shall find her for you.”

Red Dawn
Jumping farther than 30 light years is impossible, provided your end goal is to keep the jump drive intact. With a staggering disregard for a JumpShip’s reusability and enough applied mathematics, a JumpShip can be sent anywhere in the known universe. This knowledge was lost with the fall of the Star League, but even before the sheer waste of billions and the exponentially increasing risk of a misjump meant that the purely theoretical “long jump” had never been attempted under any circumstances. Before now.

Clairvaux
The first Crusade was a failure, plagued by infighting and collaborators and dancing to the tune of a disgraceful traitor. Failure cannot be tolerated, and traitors will be the first put to the sword. Only the True Clans can bring Kerensky’s peace to the fallen and the animalistic barbarians of the Inner Sphere alike!

Plan D
Incensed by the death of Stefan Amaris VI, the cybernetically-enhanced soldiers of the Rim Worlds Army and their mercenary allies have begun the final campaign to drive Clan forces from Andurien and secure the fledgling Republic’s place in history as one of the Inner Sphere’s great powers. Their goal is no longer the humiliation of the enemy, but its complete destruction.

Combat Theater Vote:
A) Red Dawn (Campaign)
B) Clairvaux (Campaign)
C) Plan D (Campaign)

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

I just noticed in the map that the Duchy of New Syrtis and the Taurian Concordat merged...

GhostStalker posted:

Just vote for whichever one you want to see the most, it's just a Combat Theater vote that lasts for more than one mission as it's a campaign instead.

As for my own vote, I have no idea which looks most interesting to me. None of them grab me right off of the bat from the descriptions, but I guess I'm least ambivalent about A right now. Not voting yet, could be convinced on the merits of any particular choice.

And yay, Rozinski Ami reference. Hope the DracSuns find her ok and she gets reunited with Robert.
Got it, thank you!

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Is there a post or two that I could read to see more about what all this about the NRWR is? It's great seeing you vets discuss it but I wasn't around yet when it all happened and if like to learn more.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

I am casting vote for C) Plan D

painedforever posted:

Wait, really? Weren't there a lot of invasions and things with large convoys of ships all the way from the Terran era (James McKenna), and down to Operation Bulldog. Or did they do something different?
They are probably far enough apart - I think by "close enough together" they mean "in the same hull or two ships far too close to each other".

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Zaodai posted:

If the Clans win on Andurien, aren't the NRWR pretty hosed? They had most of their military forces, both ground and space, there. The parts they didn't dedicate to fighting the three Clans are dedicated to Red Dawn.

Red Dawn failing might have been preferable to whatever the forces of the Clans are going to do to undefended NRWR worlds. :ohdear:

[EDIT] So Red Dawn is now a Genocide Cross Counter, which sounds exactly like the kind of name an SNK boss would have for a super move.
Wait what, I didnt realize it was that many in Andurien. I missed so much :psyduck:. Did those clans give the rest of the IS a pass and just jump past all of them to go after the NRWR?

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Zaodai posted:

The short version is a couple of Clans detoured into FWL space, and while the FWL leadership was trying to talk to them, some NRWR stealth mechs showed up, killed the command trinary of... uh, I forget which Clan, and left them a recorded message that essentially said "Hey, remember SPACE HITLER? Well I'm his great-great-great-grandson, and I hear you're looking for me! If you are as civilized as you claim to be, lets throw down in an arranged fight at these coordinates. Oh, and if you plan to get sneaky, everything else is mined with nukes.". We voted on how the Clans would react to that, and the vote was that they'd just run off immediately without telling the other Clans, so they could take all the glory for themselves when they undoubtedly smashed Hitler's grandsons army because how could the Clans ever lose?!
Ahh awesome, thank you for the break-down.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

thetruegentleman posted:

For those who don't remember/didn't read all of the thread, Circe is (probably) former Clan Wolverine territory, who joined the RWR a long way back for a chance at revenge. It'll be terribly interesting to see what they do with the world: try to hold it? Burn everything for revenge? Target something that's only symbolic in importance but will somehow humiliate the Clans? Turn disgruntled non-warrior castes into an army? Genetically Engineered Shark Strat 2.0? The possibilities are many and not always exclusive!
In this timeline didnt they get annihilated/abjured like they did in the canon timeline but instead of raiding a few Drac bases on their way back to/through the IS, they somehow got in contact with the NRWR and joined them? Instead of just disappearing from the time line like I think they do in canon.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

painedforever posted:

I don't have PM access. Yet. If I'm the only one left out, I'll loosen my purse strings and buy it, sure. Or we can use e-mails. Mine's easy, 'cause it's my username.

Or we could do it in public.

I meant from a commands/instructions perspective, but sure, that's always cool. I'm not the missile boat though, I've got the Guass and lasers. Still configured for a long-range punch, but not as much as some of the others in the star. I only have as much armor as a Heavy though, but I guess I'd be better off trading punches than the others seeing as I've got the shield and the weird AMS.

I'm assuming we're starting at the DropShip at 0431? And we're heading towards the North East?

The lance of lights needs to spot/scout, but not engage until we know what's out there. Move North-Easterly, skirting that hill? Mountain? Anyway, in an abreast flank, so that they can cover each other.

The Coyote's also set-up as a missile boat, but it does have a melee weapon. I think he'll have to screen the rest of us. The Dragoon II is configured for maximum awesome with the ECM and the probe, but I don't remember what the range is on the Plasma Rifles. At any rate, she needs to be our ace-in-the-hole, flank around to the west, sticking to the forests, but heading generally towards grid 1501.

Wolverine's got jump-jets, so he's our skirmisher, hit and fade. Is it possible for him and the Black Watch to jump jet over onto the formation on 2216, and (if need be) bombard the base?

I dunno, I'm just thinking out loud. We'll talk more once we've got our objectives, and we've decided on how to talk.

EDIT: Don't bother correcting me on our objectives or on figuring out ranges. I've calmed down a bit, and I've watched a video of someone teaching BattleTech using Tabletop Simulator, so I've got some of the basics.

Anyway, I also need to thank PTN. I know my birthday isn't until Sunday, but I'm grateful for my early present, and I promise to try and not break it.
Welcome aboard! I have played plenty of Battletech but this is my first go in this thread. I'll try to not gently caress it up.

I have PMs, can email, can set up a google doc, and have Discord. If everyone is on Discord we can find and friend each other then set up a private chat.

I am really excited to pilot the Dragoon 2. ECM and a BAP is pretty awesome, though it is more of a mid-long range mech and I am slow. Also if I run and shoot everything I will gain 6 heat, so I have to be careful alphastriking.

Can anyone clue me in on what the Plasma Rifles do?

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Gwaihir posted:

Against Mechs, they're pretty simple: 10 damage and the target gains 1d6 heat.

Against infantry or elementals though.. They just plain do a *shitload* of damage. Might be like 3d6 or something.
:randpop: Well uh I guess I know what I'll be doing once we get close and spot some battle armor!

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Gwaihir posted:

Discussion ITT is great since everyone can see, paired with gdoc to make sure no one's really stepping on each other's hexes.

Here's such a doc for you all to use!
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/15-Wzf4bGRlQXfdhp_NyHd3M0Tr9UGjDSHXldaCfY1_4/edit?usp=sharing
:love: Thank you sir!

I have reviewed our mech roster and our scouts are squishy as gently caress so I feel like we need to be really careful with 'em. We have five (!) LRM 20s - do the Wolverines think that indirect fire is dishonorable?

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

PoptartsNinja posted:

8/10, better odds.
Whoa, they sac'd 10 jumpships for a deep strike - isnt that a lot?

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Gwaihir posted:

One thing to note is, the Dragoon II is going to have to be really aggressive in moving forward as hard as it can- It's the only GoonMech with an active probe, and we know Elementals are going to be in play. The light lance has plenty of weapons to munch on elementals (Although none quite on the same level as the Plasma Rifle), but they have no probes to spot hidden units in the two forests ideally positioned right along any approach to the hangar.
Yeah I was already thinking about that. Unfortunately the Dragoon 2 is only 4/6 so staying ahead is going to be hard. But like I said, our lights shouldnt be putting themselves into too much danger because they are so squishy, so keeping them near the active probe/our other 'mechs seems really smart right now. Once we start submitting orders I'll make sure to try to take point as best I can.

What is the range of my ECM in this timeline?

edit: and the range of the BAP while I am asking

AAAAA! Real Muenster fucked around with this message at 23:16 on Jan 16, 2018

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

PoptartsNinja posted:

First update will be Sunday, I couldn't finish some of the sprite work due to carpal tunnel issues. We're very nearly ready.
No sweat, I'll be distracted by FOOTBAW anyway :c00l:

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

I...uh...is it just me or does it seem like we are way out-weighted and out-gunned by those two stars of clan mechs?

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Rorahusky posted:

I wouldn't worry too much about the mismatch. The goons have had larger mismatches, such as in Jeronimo: Breakout and still managed to win. Poptarts probably won't go easy on us, but he isn't going to make a scenario unwinnable either.
Yeah I'm not worried that PTN will just straight up dumpster us, I was just surprised to see that much weight plus all the scary as gently caress battle armor. If I remember spotting rules correctly, we cant even see that point of Battle Armor nearest us because of the number of forests in the way (I may need to look at the map again; I was distracted by my football team losing the to refs and the Patriots all at once yesterday).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

paragon1 posted:

Any thoughts on where we want to go and target priority from my lance mates? I imagine this first turn will be mostly movement, so now would be a good time to strategize.
I think we should move forward as a group to stay under the ECM/BAP umbrella on the Dragoon (me). If things come into view we can focus fire on it and try to rotate anyone getting shot too much out of view or into forests.

I am thinking I will just move the Dragoon straight forward up to 0427 and turn to face 0527.

thetruegentleman posted:

Anyway, feels better to try and hit the Elementals themselves, even at long odds. And come to think of it, there's also the risk that setting things on fire might also screw with other player's plans.
We could move in the direction to try to get eyes on them, but as stated just up the page they are currently out of our sightlines because of the tree cover. What do you mean by fire might also screw with other player's plans? If we decide to light a fire we can plan around that.

• Locked thread