Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tran
Feb 17, 2011

It's a pleasure to meet all of you. Especially in such a fine settin' as this. Just need us some music an' a brawl an' we'll be set.
C2) Marry Jenna Clay on Tharkad.

As Defiance Industries said, this is the only place where they have a chance of meeting up with Home Guard royalist troops to defend them.

R2) Attempt to escape without harming the Free Worlders.

She can't afford to be seen as a new player in Free World politics. With their fractious system Melissa could easily end up making a lot of enemies by helping Marik here.

T5) Allow the Yakuza to serve as ‘Mechwarriors, create the Ghost Legions.

Elevating the dregs of society is a time honored method of creating fanatically loyal and dedicated soldiers. Give them this chance to improve their lot, and they'll see Takashi as their savior. While this brings in more total pilots to fight the clans, it also gives Takashi a chance to replace the GDL, protecting his rule from upstarts who might try to bribe mercenary support.

Off topic a bit, I have to say the political choices are the most interesting bit of this thread for me. You're doing an excellent job at building intrigues PN.

Edit: Redundancy.

Tran fucked around with this message at 16:43 on Aug 18, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tran
Feb 17, 2011

It's a pleasure to meet all of you. Especially in such a fine settin' as this. Just need us some music an' a brawl an' we'll be set.

ShadowDragon8685 posted:

Why so much love for putting gangsters in 'mechs?

Yes, this was done in canon. Yes, it worked in canon, but the Ghost Legions had also had fights under their belt and experience in the cockpit by the time of the Clan invasion.

This decision, in this timeline, would be like in WWII if Patton had decided to go to all the prisons in America, and offer all the wise guys a pardon if they agree to become fighter pilots.

You're talking about putting precious 'Mechs; Tech 1 'mechs no less, in the hands of people who have no experience using them and sending them up against Clanners.

It's suicidal for them. Even if they are willing to be dishonorable to win, it won't matter how honorable or dishonorable they are, they just won't have the skill necessary to do so.

Like it or not, the Dragon needs troops now; experienced troops, now, already-equipped troops, now. They need to pull off the forces from the contested worlds and their FedSuns border, and as they need all the troops they can get, they need to negotiate with Hanse to hire his mercenaries.

Throwing a bunch of Yakuza in 'mechs will get you a bunch of very expensive cannon fodder and not much more. That would be a great idea if you had nigh-unlimited 'mechs, far more than you had pilots, but the fact is you don't. MechWarriors have always been in far more plentiful supply than BattleMechs, so recruiting Yakuza won't do any good. Hell, every Yakuza you want to put in a 'mech means that you're trying to take some Samurai's rear end out of a 'mech. Chances are he'll either commit seppuku at having been seen as so useless to his lord that his 'mech was given to a mobster, or even outright revolt.

In the canon timelines, the Ghost Regiments worked because they had 17 years of experience and development under their belts, but you're facing a Clan invasion now. You just can't make the mobsters into good enough MechWarriors in time.

The Dragon needs to dine on some crow and negotiate with Hanse to get those mercs. It's the only way they're going to make it out of this one; mercs, mercs, and more mercs, and the goodwill of their fellow Spheroids.

You try to negotiate from a position of weakness, with from what I gather is one of the shrewdest men in this series, and you're going to end up with nothing. The yakuza buy time, and any lance that sees combat and survives against this foe will very quickly gain a reputation as seasoned veterans. The options for Kurita all suck. It's just a matter of picking the one that gives the best chance of remaining a serious nation at the end of this.

Tran
Feb 17, 2011

E) Solaris

I just hope it's medium weight, so someone can get their head crushed by Fisher.

Tran
Feb 17, 2011

PoptartsNinja posted:

Solaris doesn't really divide fights up by weight; you could pit a stinger against a Rifleman if you were suicidal to manipulate the odds. :ssh:

Bah, my only info on Solaris came from Mechwarrior 4. They made extensive use of weight classes there, with Fisher babbling on about his time as a medium class jock. Oh well, shame it's too early in the timeline to murder Jeremiah Rose.

Tran
Feb 17, 2011

PoptartsNinja posted:

Or LAMs. Except the advantage of a LAM is, it doesn't need a runway so why the hell would you build an aircraft carrier for one?

Response time would be the big thing, I expect. Also, unless there are rearm/resupply stations posted literally everywhere on the planet, you're gonna' need ammo at some point. Not to mention the ability to retrieve downed pilots, if that is even a thing in the setting.

Tran
Feb 17, 2011

Frankly, it'd seem like having sickie over there get ninja stabbed after unloading on rear armor would be for the best. I mean, it'd reduce the risk of spreading the plague and reveal one ninja team for the other piranha to annihilate.

Tran
Feb 17, 2011

I say G if only for the chance of having Davion make an alliance with Justin Xiang-Allard and his creepy lover. Caballeros, Capellans, and FedSuns working together in harmony to kill other Capellans.

Tran fucked around with this message at 02:54 on Sep 23, 2011

Tran
Feb 17, 2011

A vote for D is a vote for more desperately outgunned light mechs fleeing from assaults. What could be more entertaining?

Tran
Feb 17, 2011

anakha posted:

Defiance Industries marketing a Drac mech? :psyduck:

He's just preparing for the inevitable Lyran conquest of the Combine. After which DI will outsource production to their new slave labor pool. The mechs produced there will later be revealed to ignore all safety regulations as a cost saving measure.

Edit: Setting ignorance shining through there.

Tran fucked around with this message at 02:18 on Sep 25, 2011

Tran
Feb 17, 2011

Well, gently caress the kid won this round. Even Aldo can't be stupid enough to think that invading Skye is a good idea. Besides, he's gotta' be feeling a bit of pride at how the boy pulled off an intrigue this grand.

Tran
Feb 17, 2011

After having their culture described in detail, I've really come to dislike the clans. That in mind, I'm going with the Hussars.

As an aside, I'm really starting to warm up to the idea of seeing the entire goddamn inner sphere balkanize.

Tran
Feb 17, 2011

A and RC3

Make sure Marik knows that the mechs were deliberately left for him. We may have lied to him, but can still salvage this as doing him a big favor. Having a friendly leader when Melissa regains her throne is worth a few mechs. Besides, trying to fight deck by deck on a ship the size of those dropships will get ugly really fast.

Tran
Feb 17, 2011

I can't be the only one that really wants to see the axeman leap down through one of the holes to melee somebody. A DFA would be ideal, but with the move rules is all but impossible I'd think.

Tran
Feb 17, 2011

A. Listen to the scary man in black.

Tran
Feb 17, 2011

A. The FWL must stand strong against the vile opportunists.

Tran
Feb 17, 2011

Considering the overall campaign objectives, you guys oughta' keep in mind that keeping Wilberforce alive to return to Capellan space would be a major victory. With just what he's offered up so far, the guy is a goldmine of strategic intelligence.

Tran
Feb 17, 2011

If by some miracle Wilberforce makes it through this, I hope he survives the Lady Coordinator's madness long enough to get a position of real power. From what we've seen of him, he's actually an interesting character.

Looking forward to the new scenario, at any rate.

Tran
Feb 17, 2011

Friend or foe, all must be trolled by the :pcgaming:

The Jade Falcon player ought to record their falcon cry though, you guys could use the luck.

Tran
Feb 17, 2011

Those battletech pods travel the convention circuit now. These guys and possibly others move them around to events.

Tran
Feb 17, 2011

Is it possible we can get those nuke happy space Texans to give their last known location a visit? Best to be sure and all.

Tran
Feb 17, 2011

C & B: Say yes to the elemental vs cyborg fight scene as both sides inevitably try to ambush the other.

Tran
Feb 17, 2011

B & G Give the clans a fighting chance at being less stupid and awful.

Tran
Feb 17, 2011

Affi posted:

What I'm saying is where are the incentives? :)

Not being boring. Seriously though, this whole glorious clusterfuck is about two groups of pirates fighting it out over who gets to be big cheese on pirate trophy world one. Playing purely for the "win" would completely miss the fun of it. If everyone is out to pull off their own ridiculous goals we're going to get something chaotic and wildly entertaining.

Tran
Feb 17, 2011

Well, you just torched a liquor store. I guess this mission now officially counts as a riot.

Tran
Feb 17, 2011

Any discussion about attacking lines of supply and logistics is inherently moot. This is a system where the very act of feeding and providing water for entire planets is based on a literally impossible logistics network. Hole economy and all that.

Tran
Feb 17, 2011

You've been running this thread for literal years. I doubt anyone would begrudge you picking the odd mission that seems like more fun to run.

Having said that, you're going to be hard pressed to top pirate mech mayhem.

Tran
Feb 17, 2011

That wall of crits is just hilarious. Who's laughing at Tommy's machine guns now?

Tran
Feb 17, 2011

4A

Whether Hanse is willing to admit it or not, he needs this to be led by a Kuritan. The symbolism is just too damned important to piss away on personal pride. As for which Kuritan commander, it's safest to go with the known quantity. A competent soldier with a justifiable caution about this sort of aggressive mission.

Tran
Feb 17, 2011

PoptartsNinja posted:

I have another plan in the works to "make the Clans more interesting." Simply shaking up which ones were invading was just phase 1.

Does it include our favorite traitorous clan washout by chance? I do hope he survived long enough to escape with the death commandos.

Tran
Feb 17, 2011

The thread climax will occur when Star Colonel Steiner is beaten in a robot fistfight on the Lyran capital.

Tran
Feb 17, 2011

A Vote for B is a vote for clans being less stupid. Death to "all powerful moron" antagonists.

Tran
Feb 17, 2011

D is just a magical act of short-sighted incompetence.

Tran
Feb 17, 2011

Is it so wrong that I just want to see an enormously incompetent manchild start a civil war in the middle of the greatest conflict his nation has ever seen?

Tran
Feb 17, 2011

A: If Carlos and his team survive this they may well be the only ones alive to be immune to "No YOU shut up."

Also Duncan better be goddamn proud of his boy. Carlos gave him an enormous win when the FWL needed it.

Tran
Feb 17, 2011

While it probably isn't going to be an issue, I'd like to point out that this mission is a failure if Adept rear end in a top hat survives.

Tran
Feb 17, 2011

wiegieman posted:

The Taurians have a lot of good reasons to go full war crime.

I know, right? All those nuclear warheads, and so many people saying that they can't use 'em. Who can really resist those shiny launch buttons for long? Not real Space Texans, no sir.

Tran
Feb 17, 2011

I hope at least one tank ends its movement on a bridge. Just to give a nice thematic moment to turn the turrets on.

Tran
Feb 17, 2011

It starts here. It does not go well.

Tran
Feb 17, 2011

PoptartsNinja posted:

Guys, it's right in the Kickstarter.

This isn't going to be a port of tabletop, they're going to do whatever they need to to make the game fun and enjoyable and that's a stance I can get behind.

To expand on this a little, they greatly simplified pretty much every aspect of Shadowrun when they made the SR: R games. However, it is very important to note that the resulting games still feel very much like Shadowrun. So I'd expect something that's pretty accessible to newbies and lacking in some of the sheer crazy that is falling down because you tried to run on pavement, only to have your pilot be knocked unconscious. Hopefully still captures the stuff you enjoy about the franchise though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tran
Feb 17, 2011

Can I just reiterate that I'm really happy team war crimes won their campaign?

• Locked thread