Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

Voyager I posted:

How does Alpha Strike determine stuff like pilot deaths in a game without hit locations?

There's a post-game campaign and tracking section in the Alpha Strike Companion. Or you just invoke the right of GM fiat and say so-and-so is dead, deal with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

Sparq posted:

Well hot drat. One vehicle left. I've got a question: can a Battlemech operate at Depth 2? I plan shenanigans with the Watchman. Also we need some help here at the northern part of the map.

Yes. That said, line of sight is automatically blocked between units that are submerged and units that are not, and indirect fire from under water is not permitted.

That one got me called a bastard at Origins, only moments before it was disallowed.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
No. It's one or the other (barring house rules).

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
Higher than a couple Battalions each side still takes a metric assload of time and is progressively less worth it. Another local player and I threw reinforced Regiments + Air Wing at each other and got through three turns in seven hours. Granted, by then, the destroyed units pool was something on the order of two battalions each and we had a clear (eventual) winner in sight, but it was still a massive slog.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
Battalions are still fine, even a couple if one of them is of infantry. Up to 1500 PV is doable from setup to completion in an afternoon.

Past that just use Battleforce or something.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
My group had a potential way to do that in place, where if two Assault 'Mechs ended up within ~24" of each other the fight would "zoom in" on them and play it BattleTech scale, 3 turns per Alpha Strike turn. Distance was the thing that was screwing us up, but I think the best way to do it would probably to have duplicate miniatures or proxies, and have them fight on a 1x2 or 2x2 mapsheet that corresponds to that 24" square or so, and move them basically relatively the same distance as they end up actually moving.

It's still going to be really fugly and weird.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
DFAs and Charges are significantly easier to pull off in Alpha Strike; usually in home games the Spider that plows into an Atlas hard enough to disintegrate both of them in a shower of metal confetti (note: slight exaggeration, Spiders doing that only do 4 damage against the rear arc, but the guaranteed crit did that once) gets the MVP vote.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
A

(for a number of reasons not least capped off with "because the Draconis Suns should not exist" :colbert:)

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
I vote B, because I feel like it's the likeliest chance of the Clans managing to win a fight here and I like the Clans. :shobon:

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

Gwaihir posted:

Holy poo poo I cannot choose between these to save my life.

A wise man once told me, "Roll a die for it, then pick the one you were secretly hoping would turn up."

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
The Ares Conventions significantly pre-date the Exodus.

The SLDF also never really gave much of a gently caress about them, and the Clans (despite them, ironically, being basically the platonic ideal of the Conventions' terms) don't either.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

Xarbala posted:

The Ares Conventions were like early Star League guidelines-of-honor stuff that predate the Succession Wars, which is what people usually think of when imagining a time when having agreed-upon rules of conduct for warfare probably would've been nice.

They actually significantly pre-date the Star League! :eng101: In fact, the Star League typically went out of its way to ignore them when they warcrimed the poo poo out of the Periphery during the Reunification War.

The Clan trialing system is basically a ritualized version of the Ares Conventions suborned into determining who was the best at using their 12 meter tall prosthetic genitals, de facto if not as signatories. I kinda doubt it's still in play.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
The fuckiest. They were just the only bunch of fuckers that ever "won" BattleTech, so they got to look all rosey in the history books.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

W.T. Fits posted:

Seriously, is there any faction in this setting that aren't raging assholes at one point or another?

The Free Rasalhague Republic never really got a chance to. :v: I mean, they have this pronounced tendency to blow up civilian Ghost Bear laborers later, but that's not really the FRR doing it anymore, y'know?

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

Skoll posted:

If you don't vote B, you're Clan loving scum.

I'm Clan loving scum, and I voted B.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

Fraction Jackson posted:

Ah yes, it takes big balls to vote for the faction with bullshit Word of Blake tech in the 3030s. Wait. No it doesn't. Maybe actually voting for any option other than the NRWR is actually the cool option?

I am little more than a slave to canon and even I think this is a bad opinion.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
Anything "Primitive" (the original Mackie counts) is actually worse than 3025 tech. It's a relatively new (last 10 years) distinction, however.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

MJ12 posted:

Reminder, technically the Long Tom is L1 Inner Sphere tech, as is the Davy Crockett nuclear shell. Technically there is no BV cost to replacing your Long Tom ammo with nuclear shells.

...why did he take a Clan mech with ferro and endo instead of one which doesn't lose performance when damaged? :V

Technically numbered tech levels don't exist anymore. Instead, we have "Primitive", "Introductory" (formerly L1), "Tournament Legal" (formerly L2), "Advanced" (this is where artillery is now), and "Experimental" (formerly L3).

:spergin:

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
Is there a signup to play as the bad guys? I'm 100% down to play as (particularly Clan) OpFor and defend the Prime timeline against meddling players. :v:

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
Aren't schools functionally unavailable in their barest concepts for a good chunk of the population in those Sphere polities with fairly strict hierarchies? In the DC, it might be a decent boost to standard of living and education as a whole to just start teaching whole portions of the population formally for the first time.

And have it be a female Trueborn warrior washout capable of literally beating the systemic misogyny out of the more remote areas.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
And is also roughly half as durable, when it comes right down to it.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

Defiance Industries posted:

Defiance Industries of Furillo sez: you're welcome

But seriously the 3025 Warhammer has a bit of a glass jaw

And the Uziel has an IS XL in a Medium's torso armor and structure. I love that drat 'Mech, but it melts under anything more than mild attention.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
In a world with no internal heatsinks, they'd be pretty bad. In a world with half of what we have now, They're probably much closer to balance.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

PoptartsNinja posted:

This is not true, AC/2s are garbage tier anti-air weapons. You can't even threshhold a Seydlitz with one, much less force a control roll. AC/2s are only "good" anti-air weapons if you've got enough of them to do significant damage to force control rolls via. damage accrual which, since AC/2s are notoriously bad at doing "significant damage," means you need at least 10 of them with Flak Ammo or 20 without (2-4 Partisan tanks worth, or a single Kraken).

You don't have to do significant damage. If a fighter takes damage - period - it has to take a control roll. If it fails, it drops 1d6 altitudes immediately. Since fighters have to be at altitude 3 or lower to even attempt ground attacks, it usually means that the fighter has a good chance, usually between 42% and 58%, of plowing into the ground and ceasing to exist. The AC/2 also has the added advantage of being able to do that from literally two map-sheets over, and when firing Flak ammo has a drat good chance of forcing the roll.

It's actually a fantastic AA gun, it's just that AA guns aren't really an in-demand niche in 95% of BattleTech games.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
Total Warfare, pg. 249. I'll quote the relevant text, since it's only a tiny little bit of a book that has been out for 10 years:

quote:

DAMAGE TO AEROSPACE UNITS IN ATMOSPHERE
An aerospace unit in atmosphere must make a Control roll
in the End Phase of every turn in which it suffers damage
(see p. 93). All appropriate target modifiers shown on the
Control Rolls Table (including the +2 modifier for Atmospheric
Operations), and the Atmospheric Control Modifiers Table
above, apply to this roll. A unit that goes out-of-control on the
low altitude map automatically loses 1D6 altitudes and may
crash if this causes it to enter a hex with an altitude higher
than its own (see Crashes, p. 81).

The referenced pg. 93 is the modifiers table, for reference, and pg. 81 describes the damage for crashing, which is basically 2D6 * 10 * velocity.

It's a really easy rule to miss, because it's not with the main body of aerospace movement rules (which is usually the hard parts), and is instead hidden away in the aerospace units rules.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
In an age where most 'Mechs have more than 10 points combined armor and structure in the head the LGR is a straight upgrade to the AC/10 in heat, range, and ammo for slight concessions in damage and a minimum range. It sucks really bad compared to Clan and IS Gauss, but do do most other ballistic weapons.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
And, importantly, doing so from short range and outside of ECM bubbles because it has short range for days.

It does more damage at longer range than any single other weapon in the game besides the Clan ER Large. That's got to count for something.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
Only thing that jumps out at me as not great is pulse lasers are no longer worth using at all for just about any reason. Small Pulses, maybe, but IS Large Pulse Lasers are even more garbage in here than they are in the normal game, and they're hot garbage in the normal game. Gain two damage for two tons and two heat, and be less accurate on top? Blech.

My vote for LRMs is option A, because I think option B is going to result in LRMs not only being king poo poo of long range support weapon mountain, but also king poo poo of everything mountain, with things like Archers (or god forbid Krakens) disassembling entire 'Mechs before they get into effective range.

EDIT: give HVACs the next-lighter caliber Clan autocannon range, and then make them not explode (but still jam on 2s) and not go super-ultra like you did here. Boom, instant useful. HVAC/2s get 13/26/40 range brackets since there is no Clan LB-1X AC.

Strobe fucked around with this message at 03:56 on Jun 28, 2017

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
Possible Standard AC suggestion: roll on a cluster table for smaller calibers, and the result is the size of the single hit. AC/2 rolls on the 5 table, AC/5 on the 10 table. Ultras still do the aero thing, where you x1.5 damage then apply. AC/2 ends up averaging 3 damage, AC/5 averages 6. For real shits and grins, add MOS on the attack to the cluster roll as a bonus.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
But for not-sarcastic real though, if Hanse Davion gave his life in the defining moment of the defining conflict to retake Luthien in a move that tilted the entire battle in the DS's favor, it would probably make sure that the above poster was actually correct.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
The changes to heavy smalls makes that Balius the deadliest thing in the field right now. Short range all day.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
Three Assault 'Mechs all unloading on a single poor-bastard Nova would be a very nice Big drat Heroes moment.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
This is the first TW scale scenario I've been in the thread for. Do PSRs for damage happen offscreen?

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

Sadly no member planet of the Free Worlds League can agree on what the anthem is.

And yet somehow we can all agree it's "not that one".

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

But what BattleMech are you going to name it after?

It continually amazes me that "Impala" isn't the name of a 'Mech. Neither is "Mustang", despite both being the name of reasonably non-endangered wild animals that sound cool.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

CourValant posted:

My theory is that no one would name a war machine after a prey animal.

Horses and deers get eaten out in the wild.

A better theory than most, but we have the Jackrabbit, Razorback, Stag (deer!), Grasshopper, Thunder Stallion (horse!), and Great Turtle, without even counting things that are clearly pests at best like Cicada and Locust. And then we literally have the Baby Fox (Kit Fox).

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

PoptartsNinja posted:

Impala would be a great name for a light scout though. Mustang needs to be an Aerospace Fighter though.

Mustang could easily be both, but quads aren't exactly popular and it demands to be a quad.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

How could you forget the Crab?

There's also stuff like the Albatross and the Cadaver (worst name for a mech EVER?) but c'mon man, the CRAB!!!!

Didn't forget, but the list wasn't "unimpressive names" it was "Mechs that share names with prey animals".

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
I thought PTN changed Pulse Lasers to be all about that damage, and ditched the -2 to hit because it's been breaking BattleTech since time immemorial.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
There's no such thing as "too close for the PPCs", literally the worst you're ever going to get unless you are in face punching range is the equivalent to medium range.

There is definitely such a thing as "too close for missiles", but not for PPCs.

• Locked thread