Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

"Hey, where did Steve go?"
Design by Kamoc

Elem7 posted:

On that subject would anyone here recommend against buying a Tormek for woodworking and general edge(kitchen knives, axes etc.) sharpening?

I've been doing all my sharpening with sandpaper up till now and was thinking about moving up to diamond stones plus water stones but after looking at the all in price to get setup it doesn't really seem significantly cheaper than a nice power sharpener. I considered the work sharp initially but decided if I was going to spend the money I'd like something more versatile. Seems like you can sharpen just about anything on a Tormek, I was a little concerned about the standard Tormek wheels only going to 1000 grit at first, though that doesn't seem to stop Youtuber's from getting crazy end-grain shaving sharpness.

Guess it's a matter of budget.

They do what they do very well. At quite a premium.

Keep in mind, as with most power tools, the sticker cost and the "now it can do everything I need" cost are 2 very different things. The jigs cost quite a bit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

Design by Kamoc
I've been using a corded drill for years.

I justttt got my first set. Never had an impact driver, but goddamn this thing is awesome. The drill rules too.
Big thumbs up on the Makita 18v set. Came with 2 batteries too.

I built some steps, re-did some shop shelves, and set up some other random poo poo.

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

Design by Kamoc

Super Waffle posted:

Hey guys, I have a corded Makita 5" ROS that I love and has always performed great. But lately I seem to get a lot of tingling in my arms after 5-10 minutes of use. I know excessive sander use can cause nerve damage from the vibrations, but I wouldn't call my use excessive. Can anyone recommend a sander with less vibration/better grip isolation?

This sounds uncomfortable.

Have you tried gloves?

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

Design by Kamoc
Heh, my poo poo gas one bogs down too. Maybe because it's my dad's old one and it hasn't been serviced since 2003

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

Design by Kamoc
Sure, I'll order a makita track saw new. What a treat!

Instead, what I got, was a very used saw in beat up Christmas-wrapping-paper-torn box, with a burned up blade.

Im keeping the batteries. Go gently caress yourself, Amazon.

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

Design by Kamoc

Grimson posted:

Do you, or anyone else, have suggestions regarding knock-offs? I can live with a bit of a wait depending on the savings.

You could make your own if you're really penny pinching.

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

Design by Kamoc
Dear nerds, tomorrow begins the black Friday event for lie nielsen. Get hyped.

https://www.leevalley.com/en-us/veritas-seconds-event

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

Design by Kamoc

AFewBricksShy posted:

This is live now.
Edit: Their website is getting hammered.

My cheap #5 fell off my bench due to using the router. It just danced off from the vibration.

Absolutely my fault and I'm dumb.

The #5 fell on the plastic tote and it exploded.

This is my excuse for picking up a bevel up jack rabbet plane, thanks for listening.

hrrnngg

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

Design by Kamoc
While installing a bearing to my cutter head on my jointer, trying to get a new Shelix head on, I put too much pressure on the bearing housing and snapped it in half. Too much liberal application of the swing press and a hollow, deep socket to get it seated. I'm a loving idiot and very disappointed. It's been a silly few weeks.

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

Design by Kamoc

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

:stonk: that seems, uh, bad. poo poo happens. Is that housing cast into the body of the machine or like a pillow block that bolts on?

Thank gently caress it's a pillow block.

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

Design by Kamoc
Those are beautiful.

The only tools I deal with at work house behind their titles and their keyboard. I would love a trade job.

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

Design by Kamoc

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

:pray: :worship:

It's all fun and games until you do nothing but sand for 8 hours a day and it's 95 degrees and you're covered in sawdust/sweat paste.

I'm a glutton for punshment.

Bring it on. :getin:

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

Design by Kamoc

Rutibex posted:

Will people make fun of me if I show up with WEN tools? Or will they just take pity on me

The stink of Chinesium should keep them curious. Until you start having to borrow tools while yours break.

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

Design by Kamoc

Mr. Mambold posted:

You are a tool making tool. This is the way.

:hai:

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

Design by Kamoc

Rutibex posted:

If you need chisels and sharpening stuff you should get the Amazon Basics wood chisel set. It comes with a sharpening stone and guide, I ended up getting this because it was cheaper than just buying a sharpening jig on its own:

https://www.amazon.com/AmazonBasics-8-Piece-Wood-Carving-Chisel/dp/B07V8X5W5R/

This is a great start. Can recommend. If you're just getting into this, worst case is you peter off and have working chisels. If you get into it a lot more, now you have your beater chisels!

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

Design by Kamoc

Cannon_Fodder posted:

While installing a bearing to my cutter head on my jointer, trying to get a new Shelix head on, I put too much pressure on the bearing housing and snapped it in half. Too much liberal application of the swing press and a hollow, deep socket to get it seated. I'm a loving idiot and very disappointed. It's been a silly few weeks.

Quick update on this:

I got hosed over by infinite back-order on the parts site I used.

They never bothered telling me my item would never ship. Ever. Hell, they haven't replied to my requests for info.

So, plan B. Used, beat up, rusted cutterhead from ebay. Worked like a charm. My jointer is now tuned and cuts like a dream. I've filled my 30gal dust collector twice since in milling up a dinner table-worth of walnut and I couldn't be more pleased.

:3:

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

Design by Kamoc
I'm not on the up-and-up on 220v vs 110v for tools that can be wired for either.

I have a jointer that I could rewire for 220v.

Besides the "you're asking, which means you're going to kill yourself by playing with electricity", what are some other pros of one vs the other?

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

Design by Kamoc

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

Gaff tape is everything you wish duct tape actually was.

As I understand it, a machine running on 220 draws half the amperage as one running on 110, and since amperage draw is what determines the required wire size, you can use much smaller (and cheaper) wire for a 220 circuit. So if a 1hp motor draws 10A running 110 you’re only gonna be able to run 1 per 20A circuit, but if it only pulls 5A wired 220, you could run three of them on the same circuit. In practice for a home shop, the main benefit is it frees up space on your 110 circuits for stuff that can’t use 220. There may be some small effiency/performance gains on 220, but I think in practice it’s not significant. Above a certain hp (1.5-2?) the amperage draw is too great to run on most 110 circuits and things have to be 220. Single phase motors cap out at 5hp anyway, and anything much bigger than that is 3-phase 220/440.

Very clear and concise.

Thank you!

Makes for an excellent argument to getting a new dust collector as well.

:getin:

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

Design by Kamoc
If things were perfect right away, you would be deprived the joy of buying accessories

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

Design by Kamoc

I. M. Gei posted:

It wasn’t a power tool — and I wasn’t even going to put actual blades on it, just some rubber cutouts where the blades would go (I don’t even know where I’d get blades for something like this) — but it was something that would sound incredibly stupid if I told you what it was, especially now.

Like I said though, I’m not doing it anymore. The fun is gone. I’m not a loving sideshow act.

I might be okay with telling a mod what it was over PM, but only if I can trust them not to call me stupid or tell anyone else about it, since the last loving thing I need is more assholes laughing at me. My life sucks enough as it is.

Was it a spanking machine?

I bet it was a spanking machine.

To be fair, I support your spanking machine.

Sorry you're getting poo poo on, broski. As others said, communication is key, but I'd like to chip in and say you're on the tool forum. People here tend to discuss things in a more technical way so it will pay dividends to consider that in your post.

Perhaps "Spinning death wheel" could have been "rotary spank drum" or "rubberized clown-glove rear end sanding cylinder".

I mean, you mentioned it wasn't a power tool, perhaps add manual to that as well.

"A manual manual rump adjudicator" might be a tad over the top though.

Cannon_Fodder fucked around with this message at 15:49 on Dec 7, 2020

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

Design by Kamoc
Are you implying I was kinkshaming?

Usually that includes shaming.

Man said he would "put rubber cutouts where blades would go".

Let's settle down a bit here.

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

Design by Kamoc

Trabant posted:

The other day I used these:

and they're fine, very good even!

However, I'm more interested in seeing the absolute unit Wichita Lineman motherfucker who'd be able to crimp 1/8" ferrules without destroying their hands in the process. Holy hell, that was a struggle.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mRc7ZDRcgrQ

This thing is super cool, immediately reminded me of the crimper except for much larger applications.

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

Design by Kamoc

Vindolanda posted:

Is there a term one would use to find the knockoff made by an enterprising gent in China? I’ve a hankering for such a tool but aviation quality prices are a bit high for my low-danger applications.

In my video, the guy makes one and walks you through it.

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

Design by Kamoc

McSpergin posted:

That's not specifically what I'm trying to say and that's probably on my wording, I'm trying to get at something like "if you're talking about building something you're calling a spinning death wheel and have no prior experience building it, maybe don't build a spinning death wheel". You can absolutely learn the other stuff first but I'm trying to tell this dude something that can kill you easily isn't a good start. Start by finding out what you don't know and then figure that out, although I'm curious to know what he's trying to achieve with rubber and wood now based in his posts

For example: I built my 2x48 belt grinder only after understanding the electrical and mechanical side of it, if I wasn't mechanically inclined I absolutely would've bought off the shelf ready to go and spent the extra $1000 doing so. But as I've been taught/learnt basic wiring and mechanical stuff, I felt confident doing the wiring for motor and VFD

Tldr I'm also currently dealing with my own potential autism spectrum disorder and communication is absolutely a weak point for me in some instances, this being one

Do you have a plan or some pics? I'm trying to source something similar and am having trouble.

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

Design by Kamoc
A router for what?

It's a motor with a hole on the end.

Slap it into a router table and it should be fine.

The ergonomics of lovely old routers are where I tend to find most issues.

To clarify: Don't get this to do trim. Get this if you want something beefy and stationary or you're flattening a slab/cutting channels in poo poo.

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

Design by Kamoc
Got a link on that one? I'd like to give it a try

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

Design by Kamoc

wesleywillis posted:

I just want to make sure my friend doesn't die.

I'll see to it that she gets one

Word.

Those heaters will absolutely heat a garage, with or without the door cracked.

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

Design by Kamoc
Carbon monoxide is odorless

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

Design by Kamoc

Hubis posted:

Local high-school is being decommissioned so they are auctioning a bunch of furniture and shop equipment.

Someone please convince me I don't want this: https://www.themcguiregroupllc.com/auction/103/item/delta-x5-unisaw-table-saw-with-metal-base-side-feed-table-220v-as-is-17837

I loving love mine.

Warning: no rivaling knife. Also, heavy as poo poo, get a mobile base if you plan on needing to move it.

Boy do I want this and boy do I not want to drive down from MI in the winter to get it. :(

https://www.themcguiregroupllc.com/auction/103/item/grizzly-floor-model-1014zx-belt-disc-sander-as-is-17822

Cannon_Fodder fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Dec 22, 2020

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

Design by Kamoc

Hubis posted:

Honestly there is no way I could possibly get it down either of the two narrow stairwells into my basement, and I don't have the room on my property for a dedicated shop outbuilding otherwise I would be all over this. Alas.

Massive laugh from my end.

I got it up 2 staircases, down another, and out of a house.
Put it in a truck.
Drove it across the state.
Pulled it into my lovely little landing, shuffling it sideways.
Pulled 2 railings off my walls.
Brought it down another set of stairs and into my basement.

Life... finds a way.

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

Design by Kamoc

Not Wolverine posted:

Mother of god. . . How does your spine feel today?

On the same trip:

Router table
Radial arm saw (oof)
Lathe with extended bed
A joiners workbench
Air filtration
Standing drill press
Two dust collectors

That, 2 routers, a good biscuit jointer, some hand planes, yadda yadda.

All for 2.5k

For that price, I'm down any day.

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

Design by Kamoc

Numinous posted:

So, let me get this straight. You lifted all that stuff - with your hands? How many people?

I bought a Sawstop PCS31230-TGP (3HP, 220V) this summer and I ended up building a frame around the main base of the saw and a hoist frame at the top of the stairs connected to a 1ton chain hoist.

I wish I took pics so I could show you guys - but maneuvering that down a narrow staircase I thought was nigh impossible even with multiple people. The base cabinet piece was about 330lbs.

I bow to your superior moving skills my friend.

Most of the time, one but two for the big stuff I couldn't dismantle.

I'm a determined little poo poo sometimes.

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

Design by Kamoc
I've had a new boss for a couple of weeks and the dude just sent me $50 on Amazon from his own pocket.

This calls for vengeance.

I'm going to have to make him something.

Time to get myself a new chisel and an incra ruler.

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

Design by Kamoc

JEEVES420 posted:

Not trying to be condescending in the least. Setting a circular saw to (1/8" in your case) depth and cutting several times across the notch area and then knocking the tiny "teeth" out with a hammer is SOP for notching posts. Quick and easy and all you need is a circular saw, speed square, and a hammer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wnmCGicpOfY

This seems like the easiest and fastest answer. If you're doing a bunch and the spacing is super consistent, you could even gang cut them.

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

Design by Kamoc

I. M. Gei posted:

My plank is 10” wide and 8 linear feet, and all of that is just slightly too thick. That’s a bit big for a chisel (and I’m not entirely sure how a chisel is cool to use on something that I shouldn’t use a planer on; I guess the blade is different?), although a power sander might work on it.

To answer your question, wet wood on a spinning machine gums poo poo up. The treated stuff can gently caress the machine up, over heat it and cause mayhem.

A chisel costs ten bucks and can be cleaned off without tearing it to pieces. It can also be resharpened.

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

Design by Kamoc
You're over-thinking it. Stand with the fence closer in the foreground and the slat further in the background. Adjust to fit.

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

Design by Kamoc

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

It is a truth universally acknowledged, that a single poster in possession of an unshaved yak, must be in want of a shed to fill with machine tools to begin construction of a razor factory.

And a quarry to be able to sharpen the tools required.

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

Design by Kamoc
Get a file card if you get a file. It should help keep up performance, especially if it's used or dulling.

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

Design by Kamoc
Pushing into the fastener with the palm of your hand and controlling torque with the trigger takes a bit to get used to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

Design by Kamoc

Sockser posted:

Doesn’t Kreg sell a sort of universal track, bring-your-own-saw?

I have the Makita 36v saw and some tracks. I havne't used them in tandem yet but I will in the next week as I rip along a tabletop. The single-track experience has been surprisingly nice. Can recommend.