Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I bought an FPV setup last night for a quad that I dont even have in my hands yet. This is my first FPV setup, so I'm still unclear on the details.

Here is what I got:

Quanum FPV Goggles (Super nerdy, but also super cheap): http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idProduct=53706
Boscam 5.8G 200mw TX: http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idProduct=18972
Boscam 5.8G RX: http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idProduct=18649
Gopro AV-Out cable (so I can record and do FPV with my OG Gopro): http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idProduct=46369

For a setup like that, running on a quad with a 2200mah 3S battery, should I be running a separate battery to power the TX? Is it safe to run it off the main battery?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

The gopro will also be running on its own internal battery, so it won't even factor into the drain on the main battery

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I have a gopro 1 (HD), so I dont even know if thats an option for me. In the beginning I'll be flying FPV really close range to get used to it, so if my FPV setup goes wonky I can fly it back line-of-sight. So by the time I'm ready to venture out further/higher, I should have a good idea of what the battery life looks like on the gopro

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Hmm I didn't think about latency, does the gopro introduce a lot of latency?

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I've never flown a Bixler, but I've flown planes very much like it, and it either sounds like your prop is on backwards (triple check this), or you have some fundamental airframe issue, like two left wings (one flipped over) or something goofy like that, OR a power issue, like you're running a 2S battery when you should be running 3S.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Generally, the side of the prop with the size/brand/etc stamped on it is the "front". So on the bixler, the writing should be facing the motor. On a non-pusher plane, the writing would face away from the motor.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Are you really interested in the scale looks that the beaver has? If not there are many better beginner planes, but many aren't as scale as that.

Don't go nitro/gas unless you specifically want to run a piston engine for some reason. They bring a whole other world of problems and oddities. Electric is 100x easier especially for a beginner.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Just finished up the build of my HK Q450 quad. It was a decently easy build over a couple nights. Already really loving the KK board for its simplicity. Also already can tell that I'll need to replace the bottom of the barrel HK motors I ordered with something better, you can just feel that the bearings are not that great.

Also the HK props are not perfectly balanceable because the hubs are drilled off-center slightly :pwn:

Either way, for now its good. Had the first "can this thing get off the ground" maiden in my garage tonight. The answer is "yes, when the motors are hooked up in the right order", which they werent at first.

Looking forward to maidening it for real this weekend.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Did a real maiden today. Maidened it with auto level on. That was a mistake. It was drifting like crazy and I had to fight to get it anywhere.

I turned the auto level off and it flew much better. I'll see if I can calibrate it some more, because I do see auto level being useful.

It yaws pretty slow and tends to overshoot the yaw. Any recommendations for adjusting that out?

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PvkcqgpZJCw

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

mashed_penguin posted:

You should replace those props asap. The vibrations will make the flight controller perform no where near as well as it would if they are smooth. Good luck with the maiden.

Uh you werent kidding. I stopped by the LHS after work today and picked up a set of APC Multicopter props in 10x4.5

They were all really really close to being perfectly balanced out of the box, but I taped them anyway because the :spergin: in me could not let them go slightly unbalanced. I tried a hover with them on and its like a different quad already, much more stable and a ton quieter.

The only thing I dont like is APC feels the need to file their props to a razors edge before they leave the factory. I never understood that, even when I flew APC props on my planes I felt like I had to be extra careful around them because they were so sharp.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I ordered one of these last week from HK and its out for delivery today and I cant wait to nerd out with my cheapo fatshark.

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idProduct=53706

Also ordered VTX/VRX and a gopro cable, so I'm stoked. Also will be gone all weekend :negative: the RC'ers worst possible situation

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

subx posted:

I was going to call it a sextocopter, I guess hexa works too. Sex copter sounds cooler though.

I would like to propose that this thread ceases use of the term hexcopter and begins using sextocopter.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

RE: music. Start here: https://www.freesound.org/

There are a ton of sounds on there, from sfx for video production to royalty free music, loops, etc.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I had the ultimate RC nerd life event tonight.

Yesterday I crashed my quadcopter. Bad battery, at the end of its life, quit unexpectedly and the quad basically fell out of the air. I was flying fpv so I got to play "find the quad in the tall grass without seeing it go down". I found it with a broken arm, broken prop, but otherwise ok, just dirty.

Tonight, I decided to dig my Beast biplane out, and see if she still flew. She did, but pulled hard to the right. I was trying to fly around the pull and bring it down, but wound up on the roof next door. The house is a very tall 2 story with a high roof line.

I dont have a ladder high enough to get to the roofline, and no one lives in the house right now, so I was stuck.

So I did what I could, I hauled the quad out, zip tied the broken arm up, stuck just barely 500mah of charge in the remaining good battery because it was rapidly becoming night time, tied a weight to a string and tied the string to the quad.

Up she went with a broken arm, next to no battery and at least one bent prop in basically twilight. I took a shot at snagging the beast with the weight and missed. The weight was swinging wildly and pulling the quad around a bit. I had one more shot and basically no battery, so I went for it. I went back up, essentially threw the quad at the plane, drug the weight and string up the roof and managed to snag the tail wheel and elevator of the plane.

I gave it a ton of throttle, lifted the plane up, and essentially slowly fell back out of the air with the plane attached to the string as the battery died. One last full throttle goose about 10 feet off the deck to keep the plane and quad from smacking into the driveway and both were back safely.

Holy poo poo I can't believe I pulled it off!!

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Kuvo posted:

If I wanted to get into quad-copters where would I start? Is there some sort of newbie friendly prebuilt or kit that I could get?

Blade 180QX is also a great starter, better for outdoors, but can be flown indoors as well. I have a Blade MQX, which is the same copter, just the older version and I have a ton of hours on it. Still kicking, still flies great.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

MrYenko posted:

I've been pondering a quad for quite some time now, but I have zero R/C construction experience, and no extraneous gear. (Most of the scratch or kit quads seem to be low priced because the builder "just happens to have" the motors/batteries/transmitter/etc, already, and I don't have that luxury.) I've been flying my S107 and Blade Nano for about a year now, and it's time to move on.

I'm looking for a more advanced quad, that is ready to go, but is the sort of thing I can fiddle with going forward, and something that's big enough to stick a GoPro on. I'm not ready for FPV at this stage, but it's something is probably like to do later, if I stay in the hobby, but probably not with this quad. Currently, I'm looking at the Blade 350qx2 RTF. It's $469, and it's ready to go. I can't find anything remotely similar at the price point.

Comments? Can anyone point me at something that would give me a bigger bang for the buck, even if it's not RTF? I'm comfortable building something, but mostly I've been finding that to get similar capabilities will cost closer to a thousand dollars.

I have a 450mm hobbyking sk450 based quad i can sell you. You'd need to add a receiver and replace the broken arm, but other than that it's rtf

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Lipo problems: not just for R/C anymore

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Yeah, until this it had never been apart, was sitting on his dresser for the last couple months since he got a new iphone. Came home the other day and the battery had puffed and completely delaminated the phone. He got really lucky the battery didn't puncture and start a fire, considering the incredible pressure it must have been under to split the phone like that and all the pointy and sharp pieces inside an iphone

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

MrYenko posted:

Flew my quad for the first time today, after a long string of delays. Even with the factory default flight controller stabilization settings, it was reasonably stable, and the only thing that kept me from continuing for more than a few minutes was the fading light.

Question though, how are most people mounting their battery packs? My batteries came with a flimsy Velcro strap which is just about enough to mostly keep it from departing the airframe, but it makes me nervous as hell, even with two straps. Is friction from the strap really all people are depending on to prevent a crash?

Glad to hear you got her up and running and that it's working well for you.

I only ever used the Velcro strap and it never let go on me. I used a pretty beefy one though so that might help

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I use the gopros battery. I run an hd hero 1, so battery life on that is much longer than anything I might be flying.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

How long had you been in attitude stabilization mode? The gyro for that drifts and is not perfect. I never used it for extended attitude holding, just to correct attitude momentarily if the quad got out of whack. As far as I know, that's what it's for, "oh poo poo" moments where you need the computer to save you, basically.

If you balance your motors and props super accurately it will hold attitude for longer, but it will never just hold it endlessly.

Also, it's understanding of "level" is dependent on how flat of a surface it's on during calibration.

Someone more familiar with the kk guts can correct me if I'm wrong, but that's how I understand it.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

MrYenko posted:

A few minutes, and it was windy as a sonofabitch, so mistakes were made. I guess I just figured a solid-state gyro wouldn't drift so much, so fast. Thanks.

The props are were balanced and eyeball-tracked, and it was reasonably smooth. I need to balance the motors themselves now, but haven't bothered, due to some of my FPV gear taking an inordinate amount of time to arrive.

I think for that rock-solid no drift attitude hold you need to add GPS

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Nerobro posted:

Hard lessons learned:

Make sure your flight control board knows which way is forward, and right side up.

Buying extra props, is never enough.

250 class quads are REALLY SCARY.

Angle, and Horizon modes, are the "safe" modes. Not chosing those puts you in acro mode. Though..they feel the need not to label acro mode.

I have my FPV equipment in the mail. Everything except the FPV camera.

Is that a kit or a scratch build?

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Nerobro posted:

I'm pretty proud of this:

Nice!

Does hk not sell the x-factor any more? I can't find it in their site

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

As a known Slow Stick aficionado, I have owned many gws slow sticks. I learned to fly on one, put my first gopro up in the air on one and was doing ap on one way back in the early 2000's.

My main gripe with them has always been the super scalloped, undercamber wing that made for great lift at low speeds, but made it impossible to fly in any wind or at any reasonable speed. It was also made of very brittle foam that would crack easily.

Lo and behold, hobbyking has remade the slow stick with a normal epo wing and ailerons!!!

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__39818__Hobbyking_Slow_Stick_Brushless_Powered_Airplane_EPO_Carbon_Fiber_1160mm_ARF_.html

I guess I'm getting back into the slow stick game!!

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

My crashes are never this cool :(

https://youtube.com/watch?v=0ImJuPpEpco

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Yeah, he was pretty clearly directly in line with the sun, made worse by it glaring off the ocean. The plane was probably an un-orientable black blob at that point.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

A lot of those are people way overcontrolling them, some are clearly orientation issues, and a couple are sheep and dog related

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I can't imagine the literal mountain of wrecked parts he generated to become that good.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Built a Flite Test Blunt Nose Versa over the winter: http://flitetest.com/articles/blunt-nose-conversion-ft-versa-build

It was my first scratch build and went pretty well. So far the wing has been a pleasure to fly. Its stable and rock solid in calm weather, and manageable when the wind picks up. Tough too, I had the prop saver come loose today, effectively killing power just after launch, and it smacked a bush and cartwheeled along the ground. No damage, pretty happy about that.

Here it is flying in next to no wind (a rarity around here) and getting up above the fog coming off lake michigan: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9XtazoH_K5Q

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I built a blunt-nose flite test versa for $4 of dollar store foam board and it carries a GoPro really well

https://youtu.be/9XtazoH_K5Q

Are you looking for something prebuilt or what?

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

A Yolo Wizard posted:

I bought a few crash test hobbies 26" scythe kits with a discount because they were a little aesthetically marred (under 25 shipped ) Gonna take an used rcx 2205 2350kv motor and turn it into a 4s fpv beast.

The scythe looks nice. I'm looking for something to replace my blunt nose versa when it finally takes its last crash, which crash test hobby wing would be best to carry a GoPro?

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I work at an electronics recycling company and someone recently recycled a Parrot Bebop 2, battery and charger. So rather than send it to the shredder to get melted down for precious metals, I’m gonna try to get it back in the air.

The battery is extremely swollen and the light on the charger does not come on when I attempt to charge it. I’m assuming the battery is shot, so I bought one of these on amazon: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07ZMR96ZN because it was the cheapest way to find out if the battery is really dead (more likely) or if the drone and charger are both dead (less likely but still possible).

The drone has a micro USB port on the back. Is there any way to power the electronics off this to see if the drone works at all? If the drone works I’ll probably invest in some more batteries and maybe the physical controller.

I really hope I can get it going because there is no way I’d spend the coin for something this advanced myself!

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I’m just impatient and the snowstorms in the Midwest mean the battery was supposed to be here yesterday but isn’t yet.

And I’m impatient. I’ve since done more research and the micro USB port is only for firmware updates and stuff with the battery already connected for power.

Beve Stuscemi fucked around with this message at 16:07 on Feb 10, 2020

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

yergacheffe posted:

That's too bad, I only have experience with betaflight stuff but the USB port can usually power the flight controller and let you futz with binding it to a transmitter and checking its settings/sensors.

You could always try wiring 12V directly to the contacts and holding it in place with some tape to see if you can get signs of life.

Well my battery came in today, the drone powers up, the cooling fan runs. When I connected to the app, it updated to the latest firmware. Everything seems ok. Now to actually figure out how to fly it.......

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

For those of you who fly/have flown Wifi drones like the Bebop 2, I have to guess its worth investing in the physical controller with the big fuckoff antenna on it? Granted, I have about 30 seconds of experience with my Bebop 2, but just given what I know about wifi and its congestion near me, I'm not hopeful. The drone has a return to home feature, which I have set to kick in 10 seconds after it loses signal. I'm used to flying a flying wing with a spectrum DX6i that has a range so long that I'd lose the plane before I'd lose the signal, so I'm not used to having to think about signal strength.

Is it worth it to upgrade? I feel like the camera controls on the Skycontroller black are worth it in themselves?

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

CloFan posted:

gently caress phone controls forever, though

Yeah they kind of suck but it’s what I’ve got right now. You can tell the whole thing was built around the autonomous flight package they offer as an in-app purchase for the flight control app. You just set your waypoints on a google map and then the phone controls don’t matter.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Well I picked up a Skycontroller 1, 3 spare batteries and a crashed bebop 2 off Facebook marketplace for cheap to complement my free (now no longer free lol) bebop 2. So now I have the controller and some spares. The crashed drone had a broken motor, but the owner said that’s the only thing wrong. We’ll see.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

It’s a very rough guess but I’d say half a second? So you definitely cannot drone race in FPV with this, but for puttering around taking videos it’s more than fine.

The nice thing about the parrot and something very different from the DX6i that I use to fly my fixed wing planes is that the throttle is self-centering like the aileron and rudder stick is, so “applying throttle” is really requesting the craft to go upwards regardless of what amount of throttle that takes. Also unlike a traditional drone, letting go of the elevator or aileron causes the craft to counter its movement and stop in air, rather than coast like a normal drone would.

This means that you can just let go of the sticks and the drone stops. This is a long way of me saying that the lag is not very consequential.

Beve Stuscemi fucked around with this message at 00:43 on Feb 13, 2020