Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

helno
Jun 19, 2003

hmm now were did I leave that plane

MrYenko posted:

Is there any other real option, like a decent LCD panel with analog inputs,

I prefer using a screen. I got a 7" screen with a battery and diversity RX built in. It takes external analog input if you need to use different RX.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

helno
Jun 19, 2003

Cop gay. So What posted:

How are you mounting that screen to the transmitter? Is it part of the kit or a DIY thing? My screen is held on with electrical tape and velcro and I'd like to get it looking a little more professional if there are specific clamps or mounts.

Modified version of this. I changed the legs so that it would clear the antenna sticking out of the module and sit flat.

http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:349502

helno
Jun 19, 2003

You can change the strength of auto leveling as well as the dead band of horizon mode.

Generally you want to tune auto leveling to be quite aggressive so that when you move the sticks it quickly moves to that angle.
Horizon mode has autoleveling in the middle and is in rate mode when you have the sticks out of the middle.

For FPV racing if you are new to this you are better off to just get it over with and learn to fly in rate mode.

helno
Jun 19, 2003

Combat Pretzel posted:

What do you mean aggressive autoleveling? You can tell the controller a maximum tilt angle, then the quad tilts according to stick input.

What I mean is to tune both the inner and outer loops.

If you don't you will get sloppy behavior and it will not precisely follow your stick inputs despite autoleveling just fine when you release them.

Inner first then outer.

Your buddies probably shakes in rate because the combination of tuning values adds up to make a viable tune in angle mode but the inner loop on its own does not.

In the industrial world this is called a cascade loop. An example is a level controller that generates the set point for a flow controller. You can generate tuning values that result in a stable level but the flow controller is going nuts in the background wearing out your valve stem.

If you start by tuning the fast moving flow controller it will react very well to both set point changes and process disturbances. Then you tune the slow level controller, this results in the best overall system response.

helno
Jun 19, 2003

Brekelefuw posted:

Have any of you hand made your own frames?

Yes.

It is a pain to cut nicely without CNC equipment. The dust produced is likely carcinogenic, wear a mask.

helno
Jun 19, 2003

BedBuglet posted:

Quick question, I'm building a quad for a friend who is working on their CS project. They're using an ESC's BEC to power the APM. I've always used a dedicated BEC and never actually tried powering it off the ESC. Right now, I have the ESC on output 1 as the power, I pulled the power pins on the other three PWM cables. Does it matter which output I use to power it and should the jumper be in or out?

If it has a power monitoring module use that to power the APM.

helno
Jun 19, 2003

Sadly I'm working this weekend.

The one in Toronto should be an interesting show. Hopefully this year the media actually looks at the smaller racers rather than completely ignoring them in favour of the giant camera rigs.

helno
Jun 19, 2003

I'm starting to get the hang of flying in rate mode. Started off going high and wide and after a few packs I was making it through the gates pretty reliably.

Was out flying with a buddy and he got some decent chasecam footage.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A5-pdfAddWg

helno
Jun 19, 2003

Why not contact one of the RC prop manufacturers?

These guys make props in that size range.

http://www.mejzlik.eu/

helno
Jun 19, 2003

mashed_penguin posted:

You can always just drop them in a bucket of salt water if you want to permanently dispose of them. After a week or two of that they should have 0 charge left. After they are at 0v you can just throw them in the trash. Battery recycling places can't do anything with lipos iirc.

Salt water is a terrible way to kill batteries. The terminals corrode faster than the pack will discharge and you are left with a charged battery with no way to drain it.

Just use a lightbulb to drain it to zero volts and then twist the leads together so it stays at zero. Once they are dead they are safe to process as municipal waste.

helno
Jun 19, 2003

What motor were you using? going from a 8x6 down to a 5x3 is a pretty drastic change.

Something else to keep in mind is you have a huge amount of vertical area ahead of the CG. That big fuse will cause a lot of drag and instability.

helno
Jun 19, 2003

I need to buy a DVR to record my QX90 antics.

I was diving the recently poured foundation next door the other day and have been treating the rafters in the gym like the death star trench.

Small quads are so much fun.

helno
Jun 19, 2003

Probably either FRSKY or Spektrum depending on what your plans for the future are.

Spektrum if you like the BNF offerings from Horizon hobbies (E-flite, parkzone, etc)

Frsky if you want cheap small telemetry RX's that are great for FPV racing and other longer range applications.

helno
Jun 19, 2003

Well fellow Canadians we got hosed today.

I can now no longer fly a mini quad in my backyard but have to drive to the airport and fly it at the MAAC field.

helno
Jun 19, 2003

When picking an esc to go with a motor kv is rarely a factor for most people.

The only time it matters is with really high kv motors. You can run into a limit known as e rpm. This is basically how fast can the esc commutate. If you have a really high kv motor with a low e rpm then you will not be able to reach full rated rpm on the motor. The kv and the pole count determine this. If you have a higher kv or higher pole count it takes more e rpm to get rated rpm.

helno
Jun 19, 2003

Anyone here still doing some more traditional R/C aircraft?

I inherited a few aircraft from my old man and decided to convert one to electric.

Sig Rascal. Decided to fly it one last time with the four stroke nitro motor and found it had a terrible fuel leak so it got two laps around the pattern and on to the workbench to be converted to electric.

One 3d printed motor mount and now it is ridiculously overpowered.

The other aircraft is a Sig Riser.

I had to get some fresh surgical tube since the highstart was pretty rotten. Someone caught me in the act but filmed it with a potato.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vXbf_PHbfo4

Decided more recently to finish the four channel wing for it. Spoilers and ailerons should be a nice addition.

helno fucked around with this message at 00:06 on Apr 30, 2021

helno
Jun 19, 2003

I got to see the actual Turbo Raven fly at Oshkosh in the 90's. It was a very different performance than the usual airshow stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

helno
Jun 19, 2003

I'm really surprised that no one has recreated it.

Mike Patey was able to do some of the beta tricks on Draco but it was never going to do a tumble like the Turbo Raven.

One thing that really stood out to me was just how much rudder that plane needed and used. It really reminds me of the large scale R/C aircraft that came out about 10 years later in that respect.