Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Mr. Flunchy posted:

I get that, and I dig the original Deus Ex. However even on 'Master' difficulty (which FAQs were recommending for new players because it makes gunfire more deadly for you and enemies) I was sneaking up on enemies and shooting them in the head point blank and they just turned and killed me.

I really tried to enjoy it, but every second I spent with the game was depressing, ugly and unfun and I've only got so much free time.

Ya, I played STALKER with the same difficulty and it was annoying to deal with enemies. I always play games on the hardest difficulty but I wouldn't recommend it for Stalker. It completely ruins the game's atmosphere and design. The game is supposed to be a gritty survival in post nuclear radiation area. It is suppose to be a kill or be killed world. It makes no sense that a random bandit takes full clips of Ak47 to the head because the game is on a higher difficulty. IF they were gonna do that they should have given the bandits high level gear so it would make sense. Some games higher difficulty basically = more dmg more hp. 0 change in ai, enemy layout and small gameplay changes.

One of my favorite higher difficulty changes was in Crisis 1. On the hardest difficulty the enemies would actually speak Korean which would not reveal what they are planning or if they figured out where you are. Also you there was no warning if they threw a grenade or flashbang at you. It was two very small changes but it did increase the difficulty very organically.

Still think Stalker is a great game but Master difficulty ruins what is great about Stalker in almost every sense. I think the makers didn't have any idea what to change at higher levels so they took the easy way out of more hp + more dmg even though it makes no sense in the lore of the world.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

al-azad posted:

The higher difficulty increases the base accuracy for everyone. I don't think anyone truly knows how the system works but the gist of it is that it does some behind the scenes calculation to determine how far off your shot veers from whatever your aiming so even if you're dead center there's still a chance your shot will pull wide. So yes, it's possible to miss point blank with a clear shot.

The idea when fighting humans is to crouch, aim at center mass, and unload until they fall. Once you get a scoped weapon you can start making targeted shots but with early game equipment it's spray and pray.

Alright that makes more sense. It is cool they put that sense of progression for the players aim but it doesn't feel natural in a videogame or real. I remember getting as far as where I had scoped weapons but never finished it.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

I been thinking of getting this thread for a while now. Like all of us here I bought many games on steam sales and never played or completed many. Inspired by reading most of this thread I decided to get on this completion action.

Beaten: Ys Origins. Didn't know what to expect from this series but always hear great things about it. This is the first in the series so the graphics are really old school but the artstyle doesn't make it look too bad. Action JRPG where you do level up and gather equipment. But after you get your 3 abilities you are set to go. It is a rather deep game because even though the characters have few abilities those abilities all have a purpose instead of having many spells that aren't useful. The main depth in the combat comes from the enemies. Enemies don't become just tankier or stronger but they all do something different so you have to adapt in every new arena. Some enemies are stronger in water so you have to drag them out of it, others have anti air abilities so you have to fight without double jumping etc etc... The highlight of the game is the music and the boss designs. The boss designs are great. Each boss will force you to master an aspect of the game. One boss might require platforming to hit him, another might require perfect reaction time to block his damage and another test your patience. Every boss is cool and different.

I will probably play it again as another character on harder difficulty.

Beaten: Dark Souls 1 + DLC. Can't say much more about this game than has already been said. I had already completed Demon's Souls so I wasn't completely new to the series. I did multiple playthroughs as different classes and 1 new game +. Finished all the secret areas(painted world, undead asylum) and did the dlc too. Just having finished Demon Souls/ DS1 this series deserves all the love it gets. I actually don't think the lore is that great but the game atmosphere and music is awesome. DLC's level design was generic compared to the main game which had very cool level designs. But the 4 bosses from the DLC were all really memorable and fun. Also managed to play online and had fun invading others.

Beaten: Hitman Blood Money. Another classic game. I heard this is one of the best stealth games + best hitman games. It still holds up today. The mechanics of the game are still used in modern stealth games. Every level/mission is so well designed. You can play it gun's blazing but the most rewarding is playing it full stealth. Some levels were really well designed in that you could finish in them in first try. Other missions you generally had to play it more than once to know some stuff before hand in order to do a full stealth run. The game has some decent replay value to even though in a 2nd run you know the guard's cycles/positioning. The story doesn't make any sense or at least I didn't find it interesting. There are some outrageous kills you can get like exploding a c4 on a hanging swimming pool which the movie Mechanic Resurrection straight ripped off.

Beaten: Xcom Enemy Unknown. Pretty much nothing bad to say about this game. Great strategy/tactical combat game in the vain of Fire Emblem/Advance Wars. Sniper and ovewatch was really broken in this game so it was easy even on hard. I didn't like the base building aspect but maybe that was just me.

Beaten: The Wolf Among Us. This one is like every other Telltale game. Bit buggy at times, same comic book style graphics like The Walking Dead but the interactive story is really intense and enjoyable. I thought initially the setting of a bunch of Fables characters living in New York would be stupid but actually it was really interesting. How these characters cope with their past and trying to blend in modern society was done well. I love playing gamey games but Telltale games are a nice palette cleanser once in a while. I will definitely get the sequel for this.

That is like all I finished this year + pokemon games. I dropped Alpha Protocol because the combat, rpg and stealth elements were all weak. I feel like Obsidian should have just focused on one thing. I normally love everything Obsidian make but this was awful to play, sadly the story seemed really interesting. Also dropped Xcom2. Gameplay wise it is better than the first one but nearly every missioned was timed which I didn't like. As it seemed that was the only way the devs knew how to make the game hard.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

DOUBLE CLICK HERE posted:

Those are some quality games, drat.

For XCOM 2, the time limits aren't usually that terrible of a factor (but with the way levels are generated you can get a bad one). One of the biggest additions 2 did was open the gates to mods which have covered almost every niggle that's annoying to everything you didn't know you wanted (like anime or a bunch of completely new classes or huge revamps). One of them is called something like True Concealment where the timer doesn't start until the moment you're discovered, others that give more information like flank windows before you commit to a move, and adding an 'Overwatch everyone' button.

It's definitely a different pace that's not possible to just copy the best XCOM EU strategies (slow as possible), but (aside from content DLCs not WotC) it does a lot of great things on its own. Way more customization, some fun and interesting new enemies and just some loving different maps (which after EU and EW was extremely welcome) and no more messing with aircrafts.

For Alpha Protocol, you just want to focus allin on a combat style (pistols particularly become crazy), and if you pick rookie the first time you can pick veteran the next time with specific dialogue options and starts off at a higher level so you can be good at combat from the getgo. But one of the best things about it was how much people react and change to how you treat them withou a global modifier broadcasting how you were a jerk to one person.

The combat is never good, though.

I totally agree with you Xcom2 seemed like an obvious improvement to XcomEU in terms of gameplay. I don't mind the timer mission but my issue was how prevalent they were throughout the campaign. I definitely enjoyed the customization and more unique enemies.

Alpha Protocol, I didn't mention but I played the game on the hardest difficulty and put many points in martial arts. I should have read a guide before or something because Martial art was definitely one of those skills you get in RPGS which are totally useless. I intended on doing full stealth/martial art run but pistol was so much better and by the time I realized how good pistol was it was too late.

The thing is there is literally no enemies who fight hand 2 hand so it is a noob trap skill tree. I wish I would have know that I would have gone silenced pistol.

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

I agree. I always play games on the hardest difficulty because I like hard games, but I will never do Hard on Alpha Protocol again. It was pretty frustrating. Game itself is A+ though. Based on the level design, the stealth is clearly based around knocking out every guy in the room, and not ghosting. Do not try to ghost Alpha Protocol, you will only end up sad and alone.

Ya hard is a bitch in that game. I think in the beforeiplay wiki someone should put if you are doing AP on hard put all skills in the pistol. With the slow motion ability u can head shot everyone in the room late game.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Ya I think it is definitely related to difficulty because if a bullet grazed your toe you would die immediately on hard. So you couldn't bum rush the enemies even 1v1 with cqc.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Ok I didn't much finished since last time.

Beaten: Binary Domain. I had this game on the 360 but never went past the first few chapters. It is a third person shooter from Japan which is already pretty rare and made by the same team that makes the great Yakuza games. One of the interesting mechanics is that it has built in voice recognition so you can control your squad with your voice. Unfortunately I don't have a headset and had to use my webcam's microphone and it wasn't consistent enough for the game so I just played by using the buttons to command them. The gameplay was pretty good. I would compare the core gameplay to Gears of War. You shoot and use cover to fight most of the enemies. The weapons are not as cool as Gears of War but the enemy designs are a lot better. You only fight robots throughout the game but it doesn't get boring. Because the developers made it so that the robots would fight even if you shot their body parts off. If you shot their legs off they would still shoot at you but they would move by crawling, if you remove their gun hand they just charge at you and kick you. IF you headshot them they are still alive but can't recognize enemy from foe so they might help you out. There are a few cool bosses like Giant Spider Robot, GIant Robot Gorrilla, Giant Robot Chandelier and many more. The characters are interesting but not anything ground breaking. Cain which is the only ally robot has some very good dialogue/lines. The game looks alright on PC, the character models are REALLY good especially the faces. The story actually is a interesting take on the sentience of robots and there are some good plot twists but the game is mostly a 90s sci fi action movie type of deal. Played it on the hardest difficulty but only struggled in some areas and the bosses were easy even though I heard they were hard. There is another difficulty that unlocks after the first completion which I probably won't bother. There is also a multiplayer aspect to it but it is dead. Overall liked it a lot. A solid 4/5 game but memorable because of its interesting characters and fun gameplay. Made me want to play the Yakuza games from this developer.

Beaten:Total War: Shogun 2. I have spent hundreds of hours on this franchise but that was mostly Rome 1 and Medieval 2. Despite owning all the sequels I never got into to them. It is hard to count this game as beaten since I will still probably play it more sometime in the future. I won the grand campaign. Had fun with my clan and I love the feudal Japan setting. But don't have much desire to play any more of this.

Gonna play Persona 5 so I might play a bunch of small indie games from my steam backlog to cross off.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Mr. Flunchy posted:

BEATEN: Super Mario Odyssey

BEATEN: Wolfenstein: The New Colossus

Odyssey sounds awesome and makes me wish I had a switch.

One question I have regarding Wolfenstein. I keep hearing it is not as action packed as the first one and there is way too many cutscenes in it. Is that true?

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Nice to hear Wolfenstein 2 is still batshit insane. I will get it eventually then.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Zam Wesell posted:

New years resolution:

Don't buy any games in 2018, play through your backlog instead - it contains games of all genres!!!

Let's see how well it'll go.............

Lol ya this is really hard to do. I normally don't buy new games because I rarely end up playing them right away but I really want the new DBZ game this month.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Ya I am pretty sure people have posted non steam games from Origins/Blizzard and even console exclusives.

Ah I only hear good things about Yakuza 0 hopefully it comes to PC one day. I just hooked up my ps3 I might replay the original ps2 yakuza 1.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Mr. Flunchy posted:

I'd still make the original Dark Souls a goal, but build up to it after a couple of games - but it's worth it - I've never felt as good as I did when I finally got through it and if you beat that you can beat anything. The rest of the Soulsborne games are significantly easier once you know the mindset of DS1.

Also, look up your library on How Long To Beat and pick off some low hanging fruit.

Totally agree with this. Dark souls probably the hardest to get into but IF you can get into it you will love and beating it really will level up your skill. The patience and strategy you learn in Dark Souls carries over into other games.

One tip I want to give to anyone in this thread is that you should limit playing multiplayer games. I use to complete a lot of games until I became hooked to moba games. After that I barely finished or played any singleplayer games. Multiplayer games are really fun but they are incredibly time consuming.

I have been having so much fun playing singleplayer games again. I still play League of Legends but only 1-2 days per week instead of only playing that.

Dropped: Drakengard
Horrible game avoid this at all costs. This the series that made Yoko Taro famous and one of it's ending spawned the Nier series. But this game is horrendous at every aspect other than story and music. It plays like a complete garbage Dynasty Warrior games. Drakengard makes Dynasty Warrior feel like an action game masterpiece on the lines of Bayonetta or Devil May Cry.

There is aerial combat which was apparently inspired by Ace Combat? Which is almost insulting to Ace Combat that it spawned something like this. You thought Dynasty Warrior was repetitive? Well tighten your seat belt because Drakengard doesn't know the meaning enough. Some levels will have you literally kill 2000 enemies with time limits. Don't forget that is with the clunky rear end, 0 depth combat.

The only reason I can think why the gameplay is so repetitive is for story telling reasons. Yoko Taro said in many interviews he hates how in videogames the main character/player can only resolve problems with combat primarily killing others. The game keeps reminding you how horrible you are for doing so and being as bad as the enemy.

Just youtube the story of this game its atleast worth that.

Dropped: Far Cry 3
I had some discussion about this on the steam thread a few weeks ago. Really pretty and fun open world. But the story keeps trying to rush you through it instead of letting you have fun. Story is really insulting, white savior bs. Basically island is dominated by Pirates and you the white tourist who gets stranded there is the only one who can save them. Also the head of the bad guy is a white guy. The black people weren't even smart enough to be bad guys. For how much Ubisoft preach diversity and being multicultural you sure as heck don't get that by playing any of their games. Not gonna go more into that.

The island is beautiful but gameplay loop is boring. You are very limited in inventory so you have to just hunt and upgrade stuff nonstuff which stops you from doing fun stuff like fist fighting sharks or gliding around the island. Inventory is really bad in this game because how limited it is and how abundant loot is. There is a limit for everything you can hold which is realistic but ultra unfun. If they went full survival game the realistic inventory system would make sense but you can literally save anywhere and have very generous check points. Couldn't be bothered after 5 hours or so.

Ulio fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Jan 9, 2018

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

EightDeer posted:

COMPLETED: Sonic the Hedgehog I. The game that spawned both a major franchise, a thousand edgelord Original Character Do Not Steal, and a million furries. The game itself is... it's actually good, but it has some teething problems. For a character whose memetic catchphrase is "Gotta go fast!" this really plays like a traditional platformer most of the time, with only the Green Hill and Star Light Zones really showcasing speedy gameplay.

Just wondering what you played this on? I want to try it out.

Also does anyone know if there is anyway to play Castlevania Symphony of the Night without emulating if I don't have any consoles except ps3.

ManxomeBromide posted:

BEATEN: Metroid: Samus Returns. This isn't worth it. The setpiece fights are all incredibly frustrating and often also incredibly tedious, and exploration doesn't work nearly as well as I'm used to it feeling in these sorts of games, and I am galled beyond words that the Metroid Queen not only basically requires taking an action that makes your most effective move fail in literally every other boss fight, said Metroid Queen isn't the final boss anymore. Pretty much the entire last quarter of the game was hateplaying. AM2R threaded this needle better, I fear.

This has decreased my appetite for videogaming, too; I may be taking a break from both buying and playing for a while.

Eh kinda surprised because this game has really good reviews, haven't played it myself though.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

bengy81 posted:

You can get SotN on the PS3 from the PS store as a PSone classic.

Ok I didn't know it was on the store. I haven't connected online on my ps3 in forever.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Nice to see so many people beating games already at the start of the year. Meanwhile I am struggling to finish anything. I was trying to finish some shorter games while playing some rpgs.

Nulled: Portal. I think I just don't enjoy puzzle games at all. There is some platforming in it but it is mostly a puzzle based game. The puzzles are well thought out, keep getting more intricate but they weren't fun for me to solve.. I hate being stuck in a puzzle forever, it feels like doing a shore and not playing a game. I did a lot of levels before I had enough of it. I can see why people like it. There is some good writing in there and it is a very well made puzzle game.

Nulled: Limbo. Ok I also thought this was a platformer but pretty much all the obstacles are more puzzle in nature than pure platforming ala supermeatboy or vvvvvv. The atmosphere and narrative are very inticing but I stopped around 70%. I always end up at a puzzle in these games that I can't just get through and I don't want to use guides.

These games are both great but I just don't like puzzle games. Before anyone says why did I play puzzle games if I don't like them. I thought these two games were platformers for some reason.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

drguildo posted:

Beaten: Brothers - A Tale of Two Sons
I feel like I'm one of the last people who hadn't played this but it's very good.

I stupidly now find myself in the position of playing what feel like the 3 longest games on Steam concurrently (DiRT 3, Freecell Quest and Shadow Tactics). The problem is that none of them are bad (even though they feel like a slog sometimes due to my desire to clear my backlog), so I don't want to null them. :(

I have this game but I was wondering if this is game is co op or supposed to be better co op?

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Mr. Flunchy posted:

It's designed to be played single player with you controlling two characters at once.

Oh ok I thought it was co op because it is the same team which made A Way Out and they really are pushing the co op side of the game.

Also I am guessing this is easier to play with a controller than keyboard + mouse.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Mr. Flunchy posted:

NULLED: Risen

Dreary mid-2000s Eurojank RPG that immediately puts you in a grey swamp full of bug enemies. I hate that poo poo. Also there's no quest markers or directions, so I was wandering around aimlessly dealing with the crappy combat until I gave up. Reading some reviews suggests I was right to.

My understanding is that the gameplay is pretty bad in every Piranhabytes games but they have lots of good RPG elements and world building. If core gameplay is the most important thing for you then their games won't do anything.

Also I agree GTA5 is an incredible game. The story missions aren't as memorable as some of the past GTA's but not GTA4 levels of unmemorable. The atmosphere of the game is a lot more comedic too compared to 4 which was a bit too somber. I loved the side missions they added ala Red Dead where you follow really eccentric whacky characters and see where they end up in their quest(Weed guy, old british couple).

Whenever I play a GTA or Rockstar game I expect great characters and fun open world. This game has both of that imo so it is probably among my favorite GTA's.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Fart of Presto posted:

Finished: Tom Clancy's The Divison
Finished the final main mission, got my character to level 30 and fully upgraded the base. Played it in coop with Kragger all the way through, and we had a lot of fun, as soon as we started to get some good weapons.
But as he also said after finished the final mission when we talked about what's left of the game: "It's either grinding through super hard side missions or go PVP, and I don't care for neither".
The game is absolutely beautiful, and it's pretty cool that the Dark Zone exist for people who are hooked, but I'm glad I can uninstall it from my SSD, so I can start plan a fresh Windows 10 installation.

Can you play this solo? I don't mind grouping with people but I don't have many friends who play these sort of games.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Those are some really good games. Bioshock 2 imo is worth playing for Minerva's Den. Some great level design and writing in that DLC.

Nice to see you got the online boss for the Old Monk in Demon Souls. It is probably one of my favorite games ever. Amazing level design, boss design and great soundtrack. What was your favorite world/level? Tower of Latria and the storm stage are really memorable ones for me.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Mr. Flunchy posted:

I knew going in that Latria was a highlight of the game and it lived up the billing. Sneaking around in that prison was intense and once you get out onto the surface the architecture of the place and that giant heart in the middle was pretty mindblowing. I also loved the Valley of Defilement, especially the second part. Trudging through a endless pitch-black poison swamp isn't exactly fun but I love the gruelling misery and lack of hope you feel, while knowing that you must head forwards because you can't turn back. Plus the Maiden Astraea boss fight at the end of the stage was amazing -and has an excellent soundtrack that reminded me of John Carpenter's Halloween theme:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9piElENpvmM

I really dug the Demon's Souls bosses in general. After BB, which was pretty much furious giant thing runs screaming at you, it was nice to get some more sedate bosses that you have to puzzle out how to beat. Fool's Idol, Dragon God and Old Hero (and of course, Old Monk) aren't exactly hard, but they're super interestingly designed. And of course, some are just :wtf: like Leechmonger and Adjudicator.

Oh man when I said the OST is great that is my favorite track from the whole game. Even though the boss fight wasn't hard it was so emotional and memorable because of how it goes down. It is hard to go back to Demon Souls after playing the newer installments because of how much slower it is but nice to see you were able to enjoy it so much.

I hope they bring it to PS4 eventually because it seems even a lot of "Souls" fans haven't played that one.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Also finally played some good games and from this list if I could recommend one game it would be the third one.

Finished Half life 2: It is hard to judge a 2004 game in 2018 but in a lot of ways it holds up. I can definitely see why it was such a big deal when it came out. Level design was so well done and diverse. The levels are all linear but they all introduce some kind of new enemy or hazard which makes you play in a different way. It's crazy how everything before Ravenholm feels like an action adventure movie but then it turns into a horror for a while. Ravenholm was my favorite level just because of the atmosphere. Gameplay is standard fps but the gravity gun is pretty unique.

Finished Persona 5: This one seemed like the best one to jump in as a newbie to the series. Really love the SMT/Persona system where you collect more powerful personas and mix-match personas to create invincible ones. Felt like pokemon on steroids. I normally don't like JRPG storylines but this was pretty good. Especially the first palace has some really good story telling and the ending is also pretty epic. Mid part is kinda meh and there are some months where there is no dungeons. I generally prefered the dungeon aspect over the social aspect but thats just me. I found the ost good but not really to my taste.

Finished Asura's Wrath: I just knew going into this game that it has a lot of qtes and has some cool moments. To be honest I don't know how to describe this game. It is like a fusion of Hindu/Budhist God of War, Legend of The Galactic Heroes and Dragon Ball Z. The first boss Wyzen is probably one of the most breathtaking boss fights in all of gaming. I hate qtes but this game's story and scenarios were so epic you could just ignore the subpar gameplay and the qtes. The story is pretty simple revenge story similar to God of War. I didn't play the DLC which continues the story but I was still impressed with the base game. The music also makes the epic moments even more bombastic.

Finished Ninja Gaiden Sigma: Never played this one despite Ninja Gaiden 2 being one of my favorite games ever. This is a bit slower compared to 2 but still enjoyable. You have to block a lot more in this, wherein in 2 you can roll dodge/jump a lot more. Gameplay/combat is great, if you are good with Ryu you can become a flying death machine. Izuna Drop and Flying swallow are probably two of my most favorite abilities in all of gaming. Some of the bosses in this game are gonna make you want to break your controller. Awakened Alma, Regular Alma, First Doku fight are some of the ones I remember the most. This game just stands on it's combat, platforming is kinda wonky at times, story is a mess and characters are literal one notes. But the combat is so good it makes it worth it. Hopefully there is a remaster collection some day.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Panic Restaurant posted:

Man, some of you guys burn through games at an incredibly inspiring pace! Meanwhile I’ve only beaten 5 games this year so far and I’ve been working on Persona 5 for almost a year. :negative:
All this despite having a backlog of probably thousands.

Any hot tips for someone with lovely time management skills? Other than cutting out the mindless internet browsing, which I’m all too aware is loving over my gaming time.

I would say try to play the game consistently so you get more absorbed in it. Don't play it once a week. Try to play it consecutively if you can.

I have the same problem as you which happened with Persona 5 earlier this year.

I would recommend not playing multiplayer games as much because that's also what I use to do before I started completing games. Multiplayer games never end and there is also never a good time to stop playing. You can always just go for another match.

Also try not to get distracted, if you get really into the game's world you will finish it in no time and will always be wanting to play it. I would sometimes listen to podcast in the background but with games with heavy story it is very distracting. Or if my phone is going off everytime. So I just mute it and check it only once in a while.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Mr. Flunchy posted:

I also find that simply choosing a game to play can take up a tonne of time. So using some kind of Steam randomizer really helps cut that down by choosing a game at random: http://www.thewheelhaus.com/usergames.php

If you've got a huge library filled with bundled stuff chances are it'll pick a game you haven't even heard of. Give it a half hour or so to impress and if you like it continue with it. I've found quite a few hidden gems in my library that I'd never have chosen to play.

Oh man I need to use a randomizer thingy like this. I have the same issue. Sometimes I have downloaded/in dozens of games without ever starting one of them. I will use this for my next game. Right now I am playing Dark Souls 2 and Doom 2016.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Mr. Flunchy posted:

BEATEN: The Wolf Among Us

Top tier Telltale game that's a noir detective story with an 80s color scheme, cool art and a kickass synth score. I've never read a Fables comic, but fairytale characters living in secret in the middle of New York is easy to understand. I've played so many Telltale games by now that I feel like I can see the strings and understand that my BIG IMPORTANT decisions don't actually matter, but the writing and atmosphere is so strong that it's easy to gloss over. Noir is one of my favourite genres, so I appreciated the lifts from stuff like Chinatown and choosing to subvert them. I particularly liked being able to murder the gently caress out of the smuggo John Huston analogue. Looking forward to Season 2 later this year.

This is probably my favorite Telltale game even above The Walking Dead. I actually felt bad for some of my decisions afterward(ripping someone's arm off) and the cliffhanging ending of Episode 1 would have been really impactful if I played this as the episodes came out.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Finished : Assassin's Creed Brotherhood: Never actually have I managed to finish any of the AC games despite having played a few of them. These games try to aim for everything and miss on most of it. It's platforming isn't good as Prince of Persia, stealth isn't as advanced as Splinter Cell, open world isn't as good as RPGs or other sandboxs like GTA/Saint rows. There isn't really any focus in these games. The assassinating can be pretty fun once you get a few upgrades but all the other systems are so underdeveloped the game. The guild system is pretty cool, you can call your assassins at any time to take out a poor fool. Ezio is a cool character and I am a sucker for historical settings in fiction so that was enough for me despite the gameplay loop being pretty simple.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

glad she is dead posted:

BEATEN: Devil May Cry

Got the DMC HD Collection when it was released on Steam last month as I was curious how these games hold up. I got the first DMC on release in 2001 and it kicked my rear end so bad I could only complete it on Easy Automatic. I figured that with nearly two decades of character action games under my belt I might do a bit better now - and I did. Despite having a reputation for difficulty I didn't have too much trouble beating this (Air Raid trivialises most encounters if you're in a pinch). Despite the fixed camera and what now feels like limited combat options, I think it holds up. It's camp as gently caress, but Dante is still cool in a very 90s sort of way and just feels slick to play. I had forgotten that you fight each boss three or four times each, but they're fun enough (especially Nelo Angelo) so not really a flaw.

Plan to play through the entire HD Collection, so next up is DMC2. It can't be that bad, can it?

DMC2 was one my first ps2 games and the game that introduced me to the DMC series. Been a fan since but I can admit it is a very flawed game. The enemy, boss design and level design are all very uninspired. The story makes no sense and lost all the charm of the original and Dante isn't your lovable conniving rascal but a more moody somber older dude. The one thing is that the combat is still decent and they added different types of devil forms which you can choose with specific stones you collect which they never brought back in the sequels despite it being a cool idea.

It's definitely the black sheep of an otherwise great franchise even the Ninja Theory DmC game is well liked.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Shadow225 posted:

I love reading your summaries.

Ya same I love those mini reviews/opinion he does.

al-azad posted:

God of War 1-3 are good, you don't really need to play anything else in the old series. The PSP games are actually pretty good (I also recommend the Killzone PSP game which is an isometric shooter). Haven't played Ascension.

Yes I highly HIGHLY recommend the main trilogy. I know everyone likes to poo poo on them now that the new GoW is out but I actually liked the old one because of the amazing boss fights. The new one doesn't have as many nor as epic but has a way better story.

The ares final boss fight in GoW1 is one of my favorites and the final boss fight of GoW3 is so loving epic. Too bad it seems to be cool to poo poo on those games now with the new GoW and how Kratos was a garbage character.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

ManxomeBromide posted:

I haven't been completely away from games, though.

COMPLETED: The Vanishing of Ethan Carter. All achievements on the "Redux" version. This game is preposterously pretty, even in realtime, even on an aging 750Ti. Unfortunately, the plot is nonsense, the characters are universally unlikeable, the interaction mode is both arbitrary and tedious and even with a significant amount of unguided exploration and flower-smelling it was all over in under five hours. Don't buy it, but if you got it in some ill-advised bundle at some point it's worth playing through sufficiently to knock it off the backlog.

Is this a walking simulator type of game? Aka just walk and interact with environment. Always been interested in this game.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

ManxomeBromide posted:

It's a mix of walking simulator with occasional fiddling-with-obtuse-UI-elements game, some of which "kill" or teleport you. As a result, for me, it ended up in an uncomfortable space between both where it got the disadvantages of both walking-sim and first-person adventure but only the advantages of the walking-sim.

Alright thanks. I might try it just for the visuals as you said when it is on sale again. Really like the aesthetic.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

One thing I will say. I just played a few minutes of FFXV on pc but that version looks amazing. I'll give it a go one day just because I am a graphics whore.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Ya I never understood people complaining about story in FF games. At best they are just basic save the world stories and are comprehensible. But most of the time they are incomprehensible, trying to be "deep". 6 is the one with the best narrative.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Morter posted:

I'm back

:negative:

(Edit: Going to look at my backloggery account, which is drat near null and void at this point lmao)

Same lol. I was doing so well for the first half of 2018 and then summer came. I basically stopped gaming for the whole summer, did a bunch of biking and only started gaming toward fall but it's been mostly online games.

But I think I completed a lot of games from the last month of 2017 to 2018 June.

Completed: Dark Souls 1, Dark Souls 2, Persona 5, Ys Origin, Disgaea 1, Hitman Blood Money, AC Brotherhood, AC3, Xcom EU, Binary Domain, Half Life 2 and The Wolf Among Us.

Games I gave up or stopped playing: Far Cry 3, GTA5, Doom, Dead Island, Fire Emblem Awakening and Alpha Protocol. I reckon I will try most of those games again.

I am currently playing through Wildlands(very infrequently/nobody to play with), Hitman Absolution and Dead Cells. Pretty fun games and I upgraded my PC to an rtx 2080 ti so I can pretty much play whatever now instead of worrying about overheating my gaming laptop. I also got a PS4 PRO to play exclusives, I have a bunch of games my friend gave me but I haven't started anything yet. I will probably start Bloodborne as soon as I finish Hitman Absolution.

Ulio fucked around with this message at 03:23 on Jan 8, 2019

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Panic Restaurant posted:

I’d actually like some input on this as well! My big issue is if I’m playing more than one game at a time, I have so much trouble deciding what to play at any given moment, especially since I only end up with about an hour or two a night to play.

Do you guys rotate each day? Pick at random?

I try to just play 1 game and finish it, if the game is really long, I will start another shorter game and try to finish that on the side.

Right now I am playing Hitman Absolution which I have almost finished and I started Bloodborne.

The most important thing for me is to give time to singleplayer games cause multiplayer games are so easy to go in and play a few matches then leave. It's hard to really do that with single player games and feel rewarded.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Mystic Stylez posted:

I feel like I'm the only person in these forums that dislikes Dragon's Dogma. On paper it sounds totally my poo poo but the game is so dull and boring and I quit like three times after 10 hours or whatever.

I played it when it came out and definitely enjoyed it but dropped it midway through. I need to go back to it on PC. It definitely isn't perfect since it was Capcom's first try at open world/rpg. I think a sequel could fix a lot of the issues. It's definitely in my backlog though as of now.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

B-Mac posted:

BEATEN: Far Cry 5

Worst game in the series I’ve played thus far, though I haven’t played primal. I’m not sure why I even spent the 10 hours to beat since there was little redeeming quality to it, luckily it was only $16. Gameplay loop felt terrible for some reason compared 3 or 4, probably because the gunplay felt really weak. The story was simply dreadful, the forced story missions via capture was some of the laziest story telling I’ve seen to date in a video game, I mean I got shot with a bliss dart and was captured while I was in a helicopter for Christ’s sake. The ending was equally bad, just dropping random nukes all over the place was dumb . Feels like a squandered opportunity too because Jospeh Seed and the cult had an interesting premise, none of the friendly characters were very interesting either. The resistance point system for each area was strange too. Getting enough to unlock the area boss and then finishing their mission will clear the rest of the story missions from the area so you can no longer complete them.

I’ll give them credit for the graphics, the game did look very nice though the game is heavily CPU bottlenecked by a single thread, even more so than Assassin’s Creed Origins was.

I can only assume Far Cry: New Dawn will be more of the same so I’ll think I’ll give that a hard pass.

Ubisoft games are really cpu intensive and often badly optimized. Both the AC games had some patches in the first month to fix these issues. I think it is something to do with how they code their open worlds. I have only played FC2 and FC3. I liked FC2 because it went ham in the survival aspect but a lot of people didn't like that. The open world is beautiful in these games and the wildlife is fun but the activities/missions are basic as poo poo. I will agree with you that Ubisoft games have amazing production values though, the music/graphics are always top notch even their older games hold up well.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Well done, that game is pretty hard so that is truly an "achievement".

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Completed: Hitman Absolution : This is the black sheep of the Hitman franchise and it is basically a watered down Hitman experience. Levels aren't open with multiple paths, a lot of the levels are gated into different sections which makes the game feel more linear. They also tried to make it way more cinematic when the best part about Hitman was always the free form murder simulation. They also included a mechanic called instinct which basically lets you become superman. You can go into slow motion bullet time or just pass by if you are wearing the same costume as them to avoid suspicion. In general it is really badly utilized, it also tells you the path of the ai. If you are playing more loosely(using guns) instinct is good and even if you are going full stealth, it just feels too powerful and it's super easy to regain the instinct meter after using it(kill someone then hide them = free instinct refill). I think on the harder difficulties there is no instinct but seriously some areas are designed to have instinct used because there is no way to get through some areas without using it's ability to increase your disguise's credibility.

Another weakness is the level design. I remember the winter resort, the wine farm, corporate building, the bayous. There were so many great levels in Blood Money. Absolution has no memorable levels, the most open ended one is the Chinatown one but imo it is not good even though a lot of people remember that because of the E3 demos. Anyhow the core gameplay of assasinating people in cool ways is still there even though the level design and instinct bring the rest of the game down. Also it probably has the best story in a Hitman game even though the Super Assassin Teen basically got retconned by the reboot. I was hoping for some Kick-rear end like daughter/father team up by Agent 47 and Victoria but ah w.e. The story is interesting but the bullshit twist at the end is kinda weird with how Agent 47 basically is motivated to fulfill a promise to a dead friend who actually isn't dead and he knew she wasn't dead the whole time.

So this was my only completed game since June last year. I did play other games this month like South Park The Fractured But Whole, my save corrupted on that so I will probably retry it some other time. I tried Catherine as well but it wasn't recognizing my controller on pc and it is unplayable with kb+m.

Other than that I am currently playing Wolfenstein The New Order and Bloodborne. I think should finish both this coming month.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Morter posted:

Almost all of what I've been playing since I put down Dragon's Dogma is Nioh, slowly chipping away at missions whilst listening to podcasts. I've slowly become more confident and i'm not wanting to flip my table every time a boss cheaply kills me.

drat son you have good taste.

Irritated Goat posted:

I hated the mini-game bullshit in FFX. No, I do not want to dodge 200 lightning bolts or play Blitzball. :colbert:

Ya Blitzball is definitely a love it or hate it type of minigame. IF you like it you can easily 100% everything in blitzball. To be honest FFX is one of the best games to 100% and I have maybe 100% 3-4 games EVER. Ok ya it is super grindy like any JRPG but a lot of the side stuff like Ultimate Weapons, secret summons are all worth it imo. Maxing out the grid sphere and completing the monster arena are the hardest part but if you have time it's a good fun even though its a bit grindy. The monster arena bosses are harder than any story boss. I think for most people they won't have the time to 100% but unlike many other games where you 100% and just a get trophy, FFX actually has a lot of hidden stuff.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Chief Savage Man posted:

Nulled (For Now): Uncharted 1

I like the set pieces and the platforming well enough. However, the characters are wildly unsympathetic, and the combat is rear end. Even with a very strict critical path approach on Easy, I'm having a hard time caring enough to keep going with this, so I'm stepping away at about 65% completion according to my save file. If the characters felt worthy of any investment (assholes fighting other assholes to get some poo poo nobody deserves) then I'd want to slog through the combat but I don't. I have been told that Uncharted 2 is better so I may look to that game for some more bullshit hopping around pretty scenes. Not yet though. I may go for God of War (the new one) next in my PS4 used game backlog.

I actually did the same, I remember renting Uncharted 1 and not enjoying it at all. It has some good set pieces but the gameplay is the worst in the series. The shooting doesn't improve much but the setpieces in the next games are incredible. Like every chapter has an insane moment like a Mission impossible scene. Uncharted 2 has a bigger budget, so sound, visuals everything is better.

IF you don't like Nathan you won't really like the series though. He is kinda a big part of the fun. Still maybe get the ps4 collection if you have ps4. I am thinking of getting it since I haven't finished 3 or played 4.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

TheHoosier posted:

BEATEN: Final Fantasy X Remastered: Now having played this, I regret not giving it a fair shot earlier. I ended up really enjoying it! There were things I didn't like, both gameplay-related and QoL-related, but overall I'm glad I played it. I clocked in more hours than I initially thought I would. I gathered all of the Celestial Weapons and optional Aeons. Superboss-wise, I beat Dark Valefor, Dark Ifrit, and Omega. I couldn't really justify putting even more time in to fill out the sphere grid completely to kill the rest of them. I know I could have just Jimbo'd then, but meh.

I truly think the best way to enjoy JRPGs is to do the side stuff even if it's grindy. Celestial weapons are really cool and worth getting. Although years ago when I played FFX, I 100% the monster arena as well which is a massive undetaking and the bosses there are a lot harder than the main games.