Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fart of Presto
Feb 9, 2001
Clapping Larry
OK, I better confess. I have been collecting games for far too long and I have now really started to work on my backlog.

Yesterday I finished Assassin's Creed 2 and today I went through Kane & Lynch 2: Dog Days.
While the first was a really excellent open-world free-roam game, K&L2 felt like an extremely bad movie that was trying too hard to be cool and edgy. It did have some great scenery though.

I do actually null a whole lot of games. Basically everything that is boring or crap gets nulled within 30 minutes to one hour.
Considering the 500+ games in my Steam library alone, this is the only way I'd ever be able to check out most of them.
But it also means that sometimes I might miss a great game that just had a very slow or boring start.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fart of Presto
Feb 9, 2001
Clapping Larry

americanzero4128 posted:

Are you nulling Sleeping Dogs? I heard it was pretty good.
Absolutely not. I just bought and registered it, but it's still locked here in Europe, even though it's done preloading.
I actually watched TotalBiscuit's 1½ hour look at it and got even more excited for that game :)

Fart of Presto
Feb 9, 2001
Clapping Larry
Completed: Sleeping Dogs
drat what a great game!
I even went for 100% everything after beating the story as I already had most collected.
Great story, graphics, atmosphere, difficulty level. Even the driving, which is almost always a letdown in these games, was good. Definitely worth the full price.

Nulled: Eets
It just got boring really quick, but as it was part of a bundle, I don't feel bad about it.

Nulled: Zeno Clash
Because that game was just stupid. No, not fun, quirky, indie or anything. Just stupid.

Nulled: Scarygirl
Way too much platforming for my taste. Nice graphics though. Looks like a great kids game.

Nulled: The Whispered World
What could possible go wrong with a classic point-and-click adventure with beautiful hand drawn graphics?
How about the worst voice acting ever recorded?!
It's even worse than the Saturday morning cartoons, where adults try to make children voices.

Fart of Presto fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Aug 26, 2012

Fart of Presto
Feb 9, 2001
Clapping Larry
Beaten: Home
This is just an awesome horror story turned into a great game with an great atmosphere.
A play through is only about an hour but it seems like there are a lot of junctions that you don't really notice, which means you get to experience a lot of things that others might not see.
Presentation-wise, it's almost the same as Lone Survivor. The difference is that this one just feels natural and, to be honest, not as "indie pretentious" as LS.
Highly recommended!

Beaten: Gemini Rue
I can't remember playing such a great sci-fi adventure since I played Blade Runner from Westwood all those years ago.
And it's a bit amusing as the feel and a lot of the setting is also straight out of a Blade Runner universe.
I also think it was the first time I was a bit annoyed at the easter eggs added, as it pulled you out of the story at some strange times.
Other than that, a great classic point and click adventure with pretty good pixel art and some great background music and sound effects.

Fart of Presto
Feb 9, 2001
Clapping Larry
Beat: Assassin's Creed Brotherhood
To think that it is only around two years ago where I started to play 3rd person games, and look how far I've come.
Yeah, I really didn't like 3rd person games until I finally caved and started playing Mass Effect and Just Cause 2 within the same month. I really don't know why I had this irrational loathing of games that used this perspective, but the great thing about it is that I have a lot of open world games to catch up on, and I got 68 hours of entertainment out of AssBro.
There is no doubt that I really enjoy these games, to the point where I considered going for 100%, so I'll mention a few of the things I don't like about the series:
1. Present day. It's just boring and tacked on.
2. Whenever it does the sync/desync and the screen jumps around. Stop it! My eyes hurt and I can't skip it.
3. Speaking of skipping: Too often some of the missions have a long cinematic right after the checkpoint. No!
4. When I have finally arrived at the end, it's cool that I need to see a few credits with the names of people who worked on it, but for the love of god, I do not give a crap about the Junior VP of Marketing, Paper Division from Ubisoft Bucharest, or the name of the contracted company and it's president, who translated the menus to Danish. Let me skip to the end or at least fast forward.
Looking forward to AssRev and eventually Ass3 and many more games where I can use the word rear end.

Nulled: Drakensang
Sadly I decided to stop this after 26 hours.
It's not a bad party-based RPG, and had I given it some more time it might have pulled me in, but as of now, it's gone.
I still plan on playing Drakensang II and it's expansion, but this one just didn't work for me.
Not sure if it was the story, the quests, the mechanics or what. Presentation-wise, it was really nice. NPCs didn't bother you with chatter as it was typically only the greeting that was voice. The rest was text.
Anyway, not happening.

Nulled: Cryostasis
Bad performance, cheap and boring scares, and just generally not that interesting.
Way too janky for my tastes.

And speaking of sophisticated taste:

Completed: Mishap: An Accidental Haunting
A nice but quite short Hidden Object game with some beautiful hand drawn graphics and some pretty decent mini games.
But it is a Hidden Object game, so don't expect miracles.

Completed: 7 Wonders: The Treasures of Seven
A good Match-3 game (think unpolished Bejeweled) and I enjoyed the casual thing for what it was.

Fart of Presto
Feb 9, 2001
Clapping Larry
Beat: To The Moon
I really enjoyed the story, though I might have read too much into the hype and definitely had higher expectations on the emotional level (I didn't cry as it was promised I would).
I'm not very fond of the NES/SNES era JRPG style dialogs, even though the pixel art was great, but since there wasn't really any gameplay, it was just "click to continue" most of the time.

Nulled: Rig 'n' Roll
Truck sim gone bad, as in really lovely.
Palpek should review this in the Steam thread, as it would fit right in with his "crap games review" series.

Nulled: Lone Survivor
I had really looked forward to playing this, but at the basement level (half way through?), it just got so boring that I couldn't even be bothered to follow a walkthrough just to see the rest of the story.

Fart of Presto
Feb 9, 2001
Clapping Larry
Beat: Spec Ops: The Line
Awesome story and decent 3rd person shooter.
Reading the main Steam thread, it seems like most people got the game and started playing it, expecting a standard military shooter, but finished the game with a whole different view of it.

Completed: McPixel
I don't think I've ever laughed as much as I did when playing McPixel. On each scene there was at least one gag where I laughed out loud because of some absurdity or just low brow humor.
But play it in small doses to not over-do it.

Nulled: Nexuiz
Just never really got into it and I'm not that into MP games in general.

Fart of Presto
Feb 9, 2001
Clapping Larry
Beat: Torchlight 2
What a great game this is. I really enjoyed Torchlight 1 and this one is just so much more polished that it really takes the whole experience one notch up.
If it wasn't for my gigantic backlog, I would probably play it some more and it's not impossible that I re-install it some day.

Nulled: Renegade Ops
I really enjoyed this game, but never finished it, and it has now been sitting in my "Playing" category for over half a year untouched and just mocking me.
The problem with the game is, I'm really bad at it. And every time I try and do better, my hands really hurt after a gaming session with the Xbox 360 controller. It feels like they almost cramp up, which I'm pretty sure is a bad sign. I tried playing the game using KB+M, but that's just impossible.
Oh well, hopefully the devs are hard at work on Just Cause 3.

Nulled: Burnout Paradise: The Ultimate Box
While Steam says I've only played 45 minutes, I know for a fact that's wrong. But it's true that I'll probably never play it again as it's been more than a year since the last time I played it.
Lately, the only racing games I've done, are racing missions in sandbox games like Sleeping Dogs and Saints Row 3, and honestly, that's good enough for me.
It should be noticed that I actually enjoyed this while it lasted, but again, long backlog.

More house cleaning:
Nulled: Bunch of Heroes
I have played 92 minutes of this. That's easily 91 minutes too many.

Nulled: F.E.A.R. 2: Project Origin
At first I thought it was OK and at least the level design was not as bad as FEAR 1, but it just kept more and more boring.
The only thing fun, was to see if I could out-sprint the ghost girl every time she showed up. Someone then told me how it ends, and I'm glad I didn't finish it.

Nulled: Farm Frenzy Pizza Party
According to the stats, I've played FFPP almost as long as I've played FEAR 2.
That is just wrong!

Fart of Presto fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Oct 13, 2012

Fart of Presto
Feb 9, 2001
Clapping Larry

Hemish posted:

Fart of Presto, what magic are you using to beat so many games so quickly?!
Not sure if you noticed, but most of the games I mention, I nulled :)

But yeah, the last couple of weeks, I managed to play through 4 games and I'm not really sure how I managed to find the time, as I've also been working my rear end off.

Fart of Presto
Feb 9, 2001
Clapping Larry
Beat: Assassin's Creed Revelations
Within a few months I have played and beaten both AC2 and AssBro, and I still felt I needed to play AssRev to tidy up the ending of AssBro and Ezio's saga.
I'm not sure if it was AC fatigue or just a sub par game, but I felt let down by AssRev.
Sure the game is polished, but there were a lot of elements that that really felt out of place or added on: The tower defense game, the bomb crafting, driving that loving horse carriage and the fact that Ezio's face had transformed to look like what Freddie Mercury would look like, had he gotten old and grey.
I also didn't really care for the setting of Constantinople and would rather see more of Italy, preferably while drinking a bottle of Chianti Classico and thinking of how bad these dudes are at riding horses and that it won't really change when they eventually upgrade to cars.
So all in all it was not a bad game, but don't go out of your way to play this unless you really want more of the AC2 universe or an ending to AC1's Altaïr's story.

Complete: Sleeping Dogs: Nightmare in North Point DLC
Don't get this for the story, as it's pretty retarded, but the fighting is awesome.
As the DLC is outside of the normal SD universe, it doesn't matter how far you have come in the main game, as this is launched outside of that game and won't interfere with your saves, collected items etc.
A fun DLC, but I must also admit that I only got it to keep my 100% completion of the game and its achievements intact.

Nulled: Cherry Tree High Comedy Club
I actually feel a bit bad for nulling this, at it was gifted to me on release, but I just couldn't get into it at all.
I had to click through a lot of nonsense about teenage girls and some club and getting 3 or 4 other people added as members. Then I could do chores, homework or sleep and "upgrade my stats".
As a grown man of 43, it was easier for me to identify with Ezio Auditore in Renaissance Italy, than teen girls in a Japanese High School, which resulted in an uninstall.

Fart of Presto
Feb 9, 2001
Clapping Larry
Beat: Sniper Elite V2
Just what I needed! After a lot of free-roaming, open world, main+side questing action adventuring, it was great to come back to a simple, linear WW2 FPS, whose name is not Call of Duty.
Your primary gun is the sniper rifle and the gimmick in this game is of course the bullet cam and some spectacular kills. Some would call them in-to-your-body experiences.
I really enjoyed this game and when I had finished the single player campaign (there is also co-op) after 10 hours, I rounded it all off by killing Hitler.
A perfect end to an enjoyable game.

Fart of Presto
Feb 9, 2001
Clapping Larry

Yodzilla posted:

If you we're getting sick of AssCreed during Brotherhood the. I'm not sure Revelations is the game for you right now.
I have to agree here. Let it rest for a couple of months and play some other cool games.
I went through all three in a row, and did all side missions too because I love these games, but halfway through AssRev, I had enough and lost interest in it.
Also, Revelations is not in Italy which I kinda missed when I played it.

Fart of Presto
Feb 9, 2001
Clapping Larry
Beat: Season of Mystery: The Cherry Blossom Murders
I have no idea why, in the middle of a great Steam sale, I decided to spend 3 hours playing a mediocre Hidden Object game, when I have so many awesome games just waiting to be played.
I guess that's why I'm posting in this thread. I need help :negative:

Fart of Presto
Feb 9, 2001
Clapping Larry
Beat: Assassin's Creed 3
I'll just paste what I wrote on Steam:
I will probably never play an Assassin's Creed game again after having finished AC3.

This game a bad on so many levels:
- It took over 5 hours for the tutorial to end.
- Even then, whenever something intersting starts, you get a cut scene
- In fact most of the game feels like a cut scene
- There is a constant barrage of fact box pop-ups about all kinds places and persons involved in the Revolutionary War. My guess is twice as much info as all the other games together.
- There is an endless amount of fetch quests/side missions, and in one area, there is only a few fast travel stations, so it's up on your horsie and ride towards sunset for a couple of hours.
- The minigames are dreadful. Two or was it three boardgames and bocce. Why?
- Unless you upgrade your ship right away, the naval missions are a pain to play as the ship is almost impossible to control. Also you are forced to play a naval mission three times. In AC:Rev you could at least skip the tower defense after the tutorial.
- The story is long winded and filled to the brim with people who just keep yakking about this and that. And just when you think they are done, they keep going on and on. My guess is there is a failed screenwriter or two on the team - and there is a reason why they never got a career going in movies.
- The protagonist has the personality of a wet paperbag and the intelligence of a turnip.
- In fact I can't remember a single character from the game that I thought was funny or awesome. The "heroes" are non-descript and the bad guys are.. well, they are there but that's it.
- I just ignored the present day scenes, which sadly took up a great deal of time at the end.
- Oh and I had time to take a dump during the end credits (unskippable - the credits and the dump!) and was still able to get back and get bored by them. I would guess 15 minutes of text crawl.

So the conclusion to my 70 hours in Assassins' Creed 3 country:
There are a few hours of enjoyment when you jump around on rooftops, but other than that, it's just a very boring and very bad, although extremely pretty game.
Stay away until it's on sale.

Nulled: Critter Crunch
It was actually pretty OK for the first hour or two that I played, but when I came back after a week, I couldn't remember the game mechanic and thought gently caress It.
If a casual game can't hold your interest and if you have to start all over because of some weird mechanic, my backlog is gigantic enough that I just find something else to play.

Nulled: Super Hexagon
My head hurts. I'm to old for that type of game.

Fart of Presto
Feb 9, 2001
Clapping Larry
Beat: Dishonored
What a great game!
And especially after Assassin's Creed 3, it was a pleasure to play a game that had direction, and had a great story to tell and universe to show.
Even though it's not an open-world free-roamer, it felt as if I had plenty of freedom, as I could choose if I wanted to do a stealth run or a kill-'em-all run with lots of awesome powers and weapons.
The graphics, scenery and atmosphere is just great and the controls worked perfectly for KB+M even though you could see the console design in the mechanics. Sound and voice work was also top-notch even if some of the guard small talk got a little bit repetitive.
I haven't spent much time with the Dunwall City Trials DLC, but as far as I can see, it's all time trials/high scoring and not story related missions.

Beat: Hamlet or the Last Game without MMORPG Features, Shaders and Product Placement
A very short point-and-click adventure in the style of Machinarium, The Tiny Bang Story and Windosill.
Charming and fun, but again, quite short.

Beat: Amazing Adventures: The Lost Tomb
It's a Hidden Object game and it's one of the lovely ones, but I'm addicted to these games...

Fart of Presto
Feb 9, 2001
Clapping Larry
Beat: Call of Duty: Black Ops
I played and rage-quit the game last year, half way through. Can't really remember why, but decided yesterday that I would run through the SP in one go, which I did.
Once again, Activision cooks up a beautiful interactive movie with so many exotic locations, you'd think, if they spent half the resources on locations and moved it to gameplay/story, you'd actually get a pretty good game.
But as the old saying goes: location, location, location, and I guess the producer used to be a real estate agent.
I'll probably wait a couple of months before playing Blops2 as my Michael Bay quota has been filled for quite some time.

Fart of Presto
Feb 9, 2001
Clapping Larry
Beat: Far Cry 3
Awesome game. Definitely one of the best games of 2012.

Beat: Book of Legends
Wow, this was a lovely Hidden Object game. Extremely over-the-top voice action, pixel hunting to hit the right spot on the object and low, low resolution that makes everything blend together.

Beat: Angelica Weaver: Catch Me When You Can
An OK Hidden Object game from the people who also did the Midnight Mysteries series. Not as good as those, though.

Nulled: Civilization IV + Colonization, Warlords and Beyond the Sword
I got 7 hours out of Civ4 before drifting away from it, and I never got into the expansions. Then I got Civ5 gifted to me and everyone says it's way more accessible, so I'll give that a go instead.

Nulled: Dead Hungry Diner
Not really bad, but when I think casual, I also think relaxing, and this game quickly ends up frantic and frustrating. I would also imagine playing it on a tablet would be easier.

Nulled: EYE Divine Cybermancy
Lost interest due to it being to weird and janky for my taste.

Nulled: Shattered Horizon
Multiplayer and SP with bots. Pretty, but in the end a bit boring.

Nulled: SPAZ - Space Pirates and Zombies
I got a good 4 hours out of it before losing interest and hearing that it ends up being a grind-fest later on sealed its fate.

Nulled: Triple Town
It seemed like my kind of casual game, but it just never clicked. I can't really explain why, as the graphics and gametype screams "Relax and have fun."

Fart of Presto
Feb 9, 2001
Clapping Larry
Beat: Gatling Gears
A fun and very pretty steampunk mecha shmup that I had a lot of fun playing through this afternoon.

Fart of Presto
Feb 9, 2001
Clapping Larry
Beat: Mark of the Ninja
This was definitely my kind of platformer, where you can jump around at your own pace.

Beat: The Walking Dead
Here is what I wrote on the Steam recommendation page:
There is a minimal amount of play in this "game". It's honestly just a series of quick time events mixed with a bit of clicking around on clearly marked items.
But drat if the story is not one of the best and the absolut most emotional I've ever experienced in a videogame/interactive story.
Highly recommended and you'll feel like poo poo most of the time you play it because of the choices you have to make.

Beat: Hotline Miami
Sometimes I hated the game but most of the time, I loved it. When everything works, it's almost graceful like a ballet, but at other times it's like stepping on a dogturd while fumbling and dropping your phone in the gutter, just when that hot chick looks at you.
I also have to admit that I couldn't be arsed to finish the final boss after getting mauled by pink panthers, sliced and diced by one-eyed female ninjas and made into a butterfly net by double machine gun fire a bazillion times, so I watched the fight on youtube and that was it.
Life is generally too short for boss fights and I have plenty of games in my backlog I'd rather play than spending an hour or two on a Saturday afternoon killing yet another boss.

Beat: 7 Wonders II
A Match-3 game, where the biggest challenge came from getting it to work on Windows 7 64 bit version.

Fart of Presto fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Feb 2, 2013

Fart of Presto
Feb 9, 2001
Clapping Larry

al-azad posted:

Yeah, the "post credit" levels in Miami are the game. It completes the story. It would be like turning off Pulp Fiction after The Golden Watch. Granted, it's a short few segments and you can probably watch it all on youtube rather quickly. I honestly don't think the puzzle pieces are worth it. They give more resolution regarding the ending but it's actually a worse conclusion IMO.

So I just watched those last few chapters. Do you get these missions as an unlocked menu option after watching the end credits or is part of the regular flow of the game?

If it's the first, then no problem. I still feel that I came as far as I cared for and I would still consider it beat (definitely not Completed). It's not often that I even try "challenge levels" or other addons outside of the regular story anyway.
I have never enjoyed boss fights as I feel you almost always gets pulled out of the regular game to do some insane task that you'll never have to do again, often without any of those tools you have accumulated during the game. And with a backlog of 500+ games, boss fights are not high on my list to complete, if you can't do it in less than 15 minutes, and I couldn't do that i Hotline Miami, probably because I'm not a teenager with razor sharp reflexes.

If it's the second option where it's actually part of the game, and there is a deeper meaning to that other end, then gently caress the writers and their "cool and edgy" idea of adding an extra part to the game after starting chapter 15 with the text "Final Chapter" and showing end credits when you finished that.
I honestly think it's lazy and bad story telling if you have to tack something on to a game or movie, after the end credits, that could potentially change your whole perception of what you have just spent time on.
If this was a legitimate good way of telling a story, I would imagine more books would use it, like you would read "The End", then turn a few blank pages and then "Oh by the way, the butler did it. Zing!"

Yeah I'm not happy, as this was the first game in a long time where I just said gently caress It, and it then turned out there was more :(

Fart of Presto
Feb 9, 2001
Clapping Larry

Zedd posted:

The Final boss of Hotline is really easy to be honest. kill tigers, hide from girl, kill her, lock onto boss and throw junk into his face from behind plant. :shrug:
But you did beat the main levels I guess. :)
And here is where I probably missed something essential in the game: "lock onto" ?
I've been playing it as a twin-stick shooter, moving with WASD and aiming with the mouse. Are you telling me I could have targeted enemies and have had my aim locked to them while running around?
If so, gently caress the writers for not telling me so and gently caress me for not figuring that out myself.

Also, I'm probably really bad at this game, because I only got to the boss 4-5 times before being mowed down.
I should probably just move twitch shooters and games that rely on fast reflexes to my "Meh" category and go out and sit on my porch and yell at all the kids to get off my lawn. I'm old :smith:

Fart of Presto
Feb 9, 2001
Clapping Larry
Beat: 7 Wonders: Ancient Alien Makeover
Because my beloved casual games, this one a very polished Match-3, won't let me down by having lock-on on the third mouse button or fancy extra levels after the credits.

Nulled: Titan Attacks
I keep getting my rear end handed to me on Titan, so I decided enough is enough. It was fun while it lasted and it's definitely worth playing for fans of Space invaders, Galaga etc.

Fart of Presto
Feb 9, 2001
Clapping Larry
I'm really trimming my backlog and nulling everything that does not grab me within 30 minutes to an hour.

Beat(?): The Polynomial
I'm not sure if this game is actually beatable before it crashes/slows to a halt because of too many objects on the screen, but I got most of the achievements and had a pretty good time in this LSD trip simulator.

Nulled: English Country Tune
While seemingly a lovely puzzler, the movement mechanic kept irritating me so much, I just quit it.

Nulled: The Binding of Isaac
I've never gotten further than the 4th level and then I got the DLC that added some impossible enemies.
I'm not sure if I'm missing something here, but I always only end up with like 2 coins, 1 key, a few bombs and one bonus item and that's it. It just seems like I should have a lot more coins compared to some of the stuff I'm able to buy in the shop. But I got my moneys worth of gaming out of it (4 hours) so that's OK.

Nulled: Eversion
I guess it's a good game if you are a fan of NES and platformers?

Nulled: The Basement Collection
Great idea to collect all small games and prototypes into a package to be able to support indie devs. None of them really made me come back for a second play though.

Nulled: Hell Yeah!
Almost 2 hours and that was it. I just don't care for this genre (Metroidvania?). The game seemed polsihed enough but from what I've read, at some point it just becomes repetitive.

Fart of Presto
Feb 9, 2001
Clapping Larry

bengy81 posted:

I can definitely see not being into Eversion, but for real, its short enough and has a neat enough gimmick that if you aren't going to play it you should at least try to watch an lp of it. Would probably take up 20 minute or so to see the whole thing.

I admit that I didn't even play 10 minutes of this game. My main gripe with the game was the gimmick that was in no way explained anywhere and which I never figured out, which also meant that half way through world 1-2 my 'adventure' stopped. Only when I looked up a let's play did I see it. Game was already uninstalled then.

Fart of Presto
Feb 9, 2001
Clapping Larry
Next batch of clean ups!

Nulled: Hoard
Got a bit boring.

Nulled: Sine Mora
At first I thought it was a pretty good shmup (I'm really bad at shmups!). I felt I could actually progress and have fun at the same time.
Then I had to fly through some laser infested garbage tunnel which was pretty annoying and then it was gone too.

Beat: Sleeping Dogs: Zodiac Tournament DLC
Advanced fight club. Meh.

Except for RAGE, which I'm re-downloading now, so I can play the Scorchers DLC, I've now decided I can only download when I'm uninstalling an already downloaded game, and I'm only allowed to uninstall if I either null of beat a game - no "saving for later".
This sadly means no Hidden Object or Match-3 games for a while, as my list mostly consists of RPGs like Skyrim, SW:KOTOR, Divinity 2, Dragon Age: Origin, Alpha Protocol, Risen and most of the Spiderweb games.
And I have absolutely no plan of skipping any of those.

Fart of Presto
Feb 9, 2001
Clapping Larry

Colon V posted:

So, what you're saying is that you gave up because you didn't read the directions.
No, I gave up because the only gimmick this game has to offer, was introduced as a single line of text, briefly shown when transitioning from level 1 to level 2. When you then get control of your character and press the button, nothing happens. Unless you then focus on pressing that button all the time, you won't see the circle.
It's just a poorly implemented tutorial, and I honestly don't feel like forcing myself to play a game that seems so shoddy after only a few minutes.

Fart of Presto
Feb 9, 2001
Clapping Larry

Dickweasel Alpha posted:

You were introduced to a new mechanic, tried it once and nothing immediately happened, then got stuck and... Didn't think to keep trying the new mechanic?

It's not like they hide it away, the area where you can use it has an obvious change.
Hah! I've now spent more time defending why I couldn't be bothered to play a lovely platfomer because I didn't notice a single line of text, than I've actually spent playing the game.
I wonder if there is an achievement for that on Backloggery :dance:

Fart of Presto
Feb 9, 2001
Clapping Larry

Colon V posted:

:objection: There is a clear contradiction in your testimony, Fart of Presto!

How could you have pressed it once and given up if you missed the text telling you how to Evert?

(No, but seriously, if people tell you 'this free indie game is great and you need to play it', and your first response is "I don't get it", then maybe you missed something. This is not some magic mind-reading thing exclusive to Eversion, this is basic reasoning.)
But.. but.. no one told me to play it. I did it of my own free will as it was a part of a bundle and I wanted to see what I had paid for.
It was only when I said I didn't like it in this thread, that people came out and said that this game is almost better than sliced bread and I'm a tard for not pressing a button that will make all my dreams come true.

Aaaaanyways, I'm done with Eversion.

I also beat The Scorchers DLC for Rage. Just like the other missions in Rage, it's actually a blast to run around killing dudes with pop rockets and fat mamas.
The whole deal took a couple of hours and there is no driving except going from the town to where the Scorchers are. The mission consists of 5 levels where one of them is an arena match like the TV game mission. If you use your character from the original game, fully loaded up, it's basically just a walk in the park, but drat, ID sure knows how a shotgun should feel and handle in a first person shooter.

Edit:
Beat: Serious Sam Double D
OK fun shoot-everything-that-moves with signature gigantic end boss fight. And you can stack your weapons!

Nulled: Transcripted
Wow that "story" thing is bad. It's even worse than the present-day story in Assassin's Creed.
As a twin stick shooter it might be fun, but it just didn't keep my interest held for longer than 40 minutes.

Nulled: Crysis Warhead
Everything was pretty good until those loving alien squids showed up again and turned the tropical island into Winter Wonderland. Uninstall.

Fart of Presto fucked around with this message at 03:23 on Feb 10, 2013

Fart of Presto
Feb 9, 2001
Clapping Larry

thizzin forever posted:

I'm using it as a general backlog thread as there isn't a non-Steam backlog thread and splitting backlog stuff into two threads seems kind of silly to me. I'm guessing the "Steam anonymous" title has more to do with most of the people in this thread having the majority of their backlog on Steam, although it only accounts for about a quarter of mine. If you're working your way through a pile of purchases post away.
Yeah, the thread is basically made to help people play some games and let other people know when you beat/skip it and what you thought of it.

Even though I personally null a lot of games, it's always fun to spend 30 minutes to a couple of hours to see if a game you got in a bundle, as a gift or bought on a whim, is GOTY material or a turd, and this thread has definitely motivated me to play a lot more games than I would normally do, thus also work on bringing the amount of games I have in my backlog down.

Also, register on Backloggery and show us what you are playing.

Fart of Presto
Feb 9, 2001
Clapping Larry

StoryTime posted:

To my credit, I don't own any games at the moment, that I haven't at least tried.
(long list of long games)
I used to do exactly like you do: Try out all those awesome new games and play anything from 30 minutes to 5 hours and then leave them for something else, but always with the "I'll finish it off later".
For me at least, that also meant forgetting the controls and the gameplay mechanics when I finally returned, thus getting really frustrated and nulling the games on Backloggery.

I have now found that staying focused and playing only a couple of games at a time is the way to do it. And those games should be of different genres, difficulty level, age(GOG vs newest graphical wonder) etc. so you still have 3-5 active games to pick from, but each have distinct mechanics that you wont forget by playing something else. Also to mix between a 15 minutes games break and an all-nighter "kill those orcs/aliens/nazis".

Fart of Presto
Feb 9, 2001
Clapping Larry
Beat: 10000000
Great action match-3 game. Getting enough loot to upgrade you weapon or getting another perk means constant getting just far enough that you can always feel that the end is *just* a few monsters away.
You'll finish it before it gets too repetitive (and I took even longer to finish it than the avarage).
Oh and then there is the music. A perfect match to the game and it's a delight every time *that* track starts playing.

Nulled: Adventures of Shuggy
Everything I dislike about platformers is present in this game: Platforms (and jumping on them).
It should be mentioned that it looks really polished and also that I should probably stop playing games I know I won't like or care for.

Nulled: SEGA Bass Fishing
I seem to remember fishing not being this dull.
There is absolutely nothing going on in this game:
1. Select lure
2. Select place to throw lure
3. Reel it in
4. Hope a fish will catch the lure and make sure your line doesn't break

At least the announcer sounds like a bad imitation of an overzealous George Takei, so there's that.

Beat: Luxor Evolved
Luxor can easily get hectic at times, but with all the retro vector graphics explosions (which are quite lovely btw) and bonuses flying around, Luxor Evolved can seem a bit messy and I did definitely not expect this frantic a game, but I had fun playing it anyway.
It's short though - around 2 hours to beat it on Normal.
Very polished and quite enjoyable.

Nulled: Mutant Storm Reloaded
Twin stick shooter I'm not going to play more than 10 minutes of.

Beat: Hamilton's Great Adventure
Fun and very polished casual puzzler.

Nulled: Geneforge 1
After 52 hours, it pains me to stop this, but I just can't stand that old rear end UI any more.
And the grinding, oh the grinding.
It's an awesome story and a really great open RPG, which also means I play it the way I want to: Not joining any factions because they are all retarded in their own ways. This of course also means no faction quests, and then no XP except for monster slaying. And Geneforge has a pretty good system where you simply don't get any XP if you are too much of a badass when fighting low level creatures, so the only way I could advance was finding high level monsters to kill, which took me ages to do. I believe I was level 14+15 for over 20 of my 52 hours of gameplay, and I barely opened up new locations in the end.
So, Geneforge 1 is gone, and I'll skip 2 too, as it's also locked to 800x600 in that horrible UI. My next Spiderweb game will probably be Avernum: Escape from the Pit.

Nulled: Anomaly: Warzone Earth
I played it a bit and it seemed OK. Then I lost interest in it and never bothered to go back to it.

Fart of Presto fucked around with this message at 01:42 on Mar 3, 2013

Fart of Presto
Feb 9, 2001
Clapping Larry
Beat: Deponia
I just finished this after having been playing the first quarter of it back in December. This is what I wrote as my Steam review:
A really good classic point-and-click adventure with a great story, lots of voice acting and some really great graphics.
As for puzzles, all the regular "adventure puzzles" were good and not too obtuse, but a few of the minigames annoyed me. Thankfully there is an option to skip those.
The only bad thing really, is the protagonist, who is an insufferable twat, but if he wasn't, there wouldn't really be any story.
Highly recommended for fans of old school adventures!

Fart of Presto
Feb 9, 2001
Clapping Larry
Some of these comments are directly from my Steam recommendations.

Beat: Capsized
Pretty good platform shooter with a nice story and really good music and awesome graphics to match.
The whole thing reminds me a bit of 1970's comics like Metal Hurlant.

Nulled: Breath of Death VII
The nostalgia trip didn't work on me. Deleted after a few minutes.

Beat: Samatha Swift and The Golden Touch
The best part of this Hidden Object game is the title, as I got so many comments from people who thought I played a porn game.
The game itself was OK, but was more story driven than classic Hidden Object game.

Beat: Yard Sale Hidden Trasure: Sunnyville
In the Steam gifting thread, seorin held a competition called "The 2nd Non-Annual Awful Steam Games Suffer-a-thon". People sign up and get a horrible game they have to play and do a Let's Play/write-up about.
This game was given to someone, and I mentioned that I actually like those games and promptly got it gifted to me by Kragger99.
While I was not part of the competiton I did finish it, and I really enjoyed it.
It's one of the better non-story Hidden Object games in that it has good graphics, actually presented a challenge on some puzzles and was long enough that you got something for your money, but didn't repeat itself to death.
The side puzzles were annoying though.
This was not available for me in Europe and I have absolutely no idea why.

Beat: Elizabeth Find M.D. - Diagnosis Mystery - Season 2
An extremely short Hidden Object game, that focuses more on hospital romance drama than letting me find some objects that are hidden.

Nulled: Highborn
This game is buggy.

I mean buggy as in the first thing I saw after the company logo was an error message, telling me that the game couldn't find the settings file and that it had reverted to default settings.

When you save, you can't really be sure the game has created a "real" save until you exit the game and try and load it. If your save game is in the list, it worked. If not? Too bad.
And you need to save, because sometimes all units disappear, and the only way to get them back is to save and reload.
This is also the way to fix the game when it won't let you select anything on the screen. Save, exit and reload.

The game itself is a casual strategy game. It sells itself on the humour, but I'm still waiting for the first funny joke.
It's actually an OK game if you know what you are getting into: Casual with a capital C.
The graphics are good, the sound effects fine and they had just implemented more than one difficulty level when I started playing it. Played on Normal which felt like Easy, but again - Casual.

The most annoying part though, was finding out on the Steam forums, that the came only contains Chapter 1. That's 8 missions. Everything else will be released as DLCs later on, which is not mentioned on the store page.

Like a lot of other games published on Steam lately, this does not feel like a finished game or even a game almost ready for release.
It should have been moved to the Early Access section and with a clear note saying that only the first 8 levels are included and the rest can be bought as DLCs later.

I can't really recommend it in the sorry state it currently is in.

Beat: Bioshock
As I expected from reading reviews, this was really enjoyable. It started out a bit slow with cheap jump scares, but listening to all the sound recordings scattered around in the city, you slowly start to pick up both the main story and all the side stories that mix in.
It's a bit tricky to get working on Win 7 64 bit but I found it worth the trouble.

Beat: Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed
I've beaten/unlocked all tracks in the singe player campaign and I'm really not into trying to perfect runs so I earn that extra star so I can unlock some obscure Sega character, so I'm basically calling the single player part beaten.
I'll keep playing it though, as I've had a lot of fun playing online with the goons, and while I'm really bad at racing compared to most if not all the others, I'm one of the best at groaning and yelling at the others for beating me.

Edit:
Nulled: Ancients of Ooga
Forgot to mention in but then again, the platformer is so bad, you better forget about ever playing it.

Edit2:
Beat: DLC Quest
Quite enjoyable little platformer. The developers really caught all those retarded things we pay extra for today and it was both amusing and a bit sad at the same time.

Fart of Presto fucked around with this message at 05:34 on Mar 24, 2013

Fart of Presto
Feb 9, 2001
Clapping Larry
Beat: Sleeping Dogs: The Year of the Snake DLC
This is a fitting DLC to end the Sleeping Dogs saga on. I enjoyed Nightmare at North Point and didn't really care for Zodiac Tournament, probably because they both had nothing to do with the original story, but this DLC really feels like an epilogue to the main game.
Wei starts out as a street cop, handing out parking tickets and showing tourists the way around the city. By chance he gets involved in an traffic accident that also involves members of a doomsday cult, and he now gets the chance to get his old job back again.
The DLC contains 6 main missions and several small side jobs and it took me 4-5 hours to do an almost 100% run (too much grinding to get 200 arrests and 100 gassed people) and I had a lot of fun doing it too.
I think The Year of the Snake is now the Top DLC for Sleeping Dogs and almost a must, if you feel just a tiny bit of craving for more Hong Kong action.

Fart of Presto
Feb 9, 2001
Clapping Larry
Nulled: FTL: Faster Than Light
I had really looked forward to playing this, with all the praise it has gotten both here on this forum and elsewhere, but it just didn't hook me at all.
The idea is great, I love the music, graphics are decent and it's just very polished for this type of game. I can't really put my finger down and point exactly at what I don't enjoy playing this game, it's just not there.
Oh well, one highly praised indie to the meh/boring/crap category, tens if not hundreds to go...

Fart of Presto
Feb 9, 2001
Clapping Larry

Colon V posted:

I'm beginning to suspect that either you have very high standards for games, or you put down a lot of games before they really have a chance to hook you. Lone Survivor, Eversion, FTL...

Then again, you've nulled a lot of crappy games as well, so there's that.
I do have high standards for games and I expect them to entertain me. Just like a good book, there is nothing wrong in a game being a bit slow in the beginning, but at one point you need to decide for yourself if you should keep reading it or just give up on it and accept that it just didn't work out (hey, it sounds like relationship advice too!)
I've had a couple of highly praised games that just didn't connect with me. Both Lone Survivor and FTL were games I had looked forward to play but never really felt entertained by.
The problem is that I can easily see the quality in these games. On paper they are awesome, when you guys talk about your experience with them, I really enjoy reading about it and it pumps me even more to get into them, though not with an unrealistic expectation.
Then when I play them, it often comes down to the feel of the game, as I wrote before regarding FTL, I can't really point to one thing and say "that's whats wrong".
It's a bit annoying sometimes, as I want to have the same great experience with these almost classic indie games as you guys, and enjoy the same enthusiasm, but they just don't grab me.

PowerBeard posted:

Lets try and remember that this is a support group more than anything else and that sometimes we just get stuck in games and it seems like there's no option but to Null. I know I jumped on Fart of Presto first, but I'll admit that there are times in FTL that I look at it and say that it can be an dull experience that's unfair at times and it's impossible to complete, even on Easy.

Always remember, we are here to reduce our Backlog and have fun doing it, it's not about getting 100% in every game we have. :steam::hf::steam:
Well, to be honest, I knew I would catch some flak for nulling FTL which was also why I didn't mix it in with a lot of other games.

And yeah, I play games to have fun and relax. When I'm off work, I don't want to spend too much time hoping the game gets better or that it grabs me in a few hours.
I accept it and then I move on to another of those backlogged games that are just waiting to be played :)

Fart of Presto
Feb 9, 2001
Clapping Larry
Beat: Divine Divinity
The last 3 weeks, I've basically only played this game. What finally got me started on the Divinty universe, was the Kickstarter that Larian launched for their next game in the series, which looks absolutely great (SA thread).
I had a blast playing this, and I don't think I've been this focused on an RPG since playing the original Fallout games. Not sure if that is due to the old school feel (isometric and sprites) or my recent slog through most of Geneforge 1 before nulling that, but it was definitely a good and enjoyable game and even after 95 hours, I don't feel burnt out.
I might give Beyond Divinity a try, but I've read, also from Larian, that it was a publisher requested title and the devs themselves didn't really like it, so I won't feel bad for nulling that within a few hours of gameplay.

Nulled: God Mode
It's nulled for the simple reason that it's a multi-player/co-op focused game with no story or goal other than grind to get better weapons.
Beautiful graphics, 5 maps divided into 5-6 sections, and some of those end in a real boss battle while others just end. Very grindy and feels slow. Fun when playing with goons though, but which coop game isn't :)

Fart of Presto
Feb 9, 2001
Clapping Larry
Beat: Tomb Raider (2013)
The latest incarnation of Lara Croft popped my Tomb Raider cherry and I really enjoyed this game. I had hoped there were more jumping/climbing puzzles, like in the Assassin's Creed 2+Brotherhood side quests, but the story and action made up for it. I also needed to get used to the excessive amount of QTEs but that worked out too.
Only negative thing was the large amount of fan service/cleavage+butt focus.

Beat: Papo & Yo
A powerful, serious and personal story, told through a game that is enjoyable to play.
The setting is beautiful, graphics and music are great, the puzzles are on the easy side and there is about 4 hours of entertainment here.
I really enjoyed this one.

Nulled: Fortune Summoners: Secret of the Elemental Stone
Another goon favorite that I simply couldn't stomach. I don't even think the game had started properly before I needed to quit.
I apologize to the goons who translated this, as I'm sure their work is top notch, I just can't stand the NES style RPGs anymore.

Fart of Presto
Feb 9, 2001
Clapping Larry

Lavatein posted:

The most surprising thing was that this was a HOG that Fart of Presto doesn't seem to have played :)
The are so few Hidden Object games left on Steam that I haven't played, so I have to stretch it a bit and take some breaks here and there :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fart of Presto
Feb 9, 2001
Clapping Larry
Beat: Risen
A really enjoyable and tough as balls RPG. It took me around 55-60 hours to go through the main quest and as many side quests as I was able to find.
And just when I was being a bit tired of playing it, the endgame came up.

Nulled: Call of Juarez: Bound in Blood
I enjoyed the original Call of Juarez, probably more for its setting than its gameplay, but I still liked it.
Not so much CoJ:BiB.
An extremely annoying cover system, 100% on-rails action that is even worse than the most lovely Call of Duty games, and to top it off, some really unlikable protagonists.
Two hours in and I had enough of of this turd. I really hope Gunslinger goes back to what made the first one good: classic FPS in a western setting and not bad console game where a sidekick constantly keeps telling you to do this and that.

"Nulled": Pinball FX2
Moving this to my "Endless" category, as you can't really beat it, just like any multiplayer games, this is something I play on and off, and so far it has been an absolute joy. Well worth checking out, even if you only enjoy pinball games once in a while.

Nulled: Super House of Dead Ninjas
I really enjoyed this platformer, but I also realize that I don't have the twitch-reflexes anymore to beat some of the later levels and also not the patience to keep trying when I don't see any progress anymore.
Definitely worth checking out for action platformer lovers though and an enjoyable game too.

Beat: The Clockwork Man: The Hidden World
A combined Hidden Object/Puzzle game with a story that's a direct sequel to the first Clockwork Man game. Casual games at its most mediocre.

Fart of Presto fucked around with this message at 17:50 on May 19, 2013