Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

Storm recently made some profoundly ignorant statements regarding mental illness and treatment on twitter.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3434263&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=94

The guy's categorized as an atheist on Wikipedia, although I've never heard him make any comments on religion one way or the other.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

Paper Jam Dipper posted:

It's extremely good. Like Animaniacs good.

I had no clue either until I looked up what your name/avatar was from a couple days ago.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

MassRayPer posted:

I don't think I have ever heard Dave more excited about announcing than declaring Nigel is "so loving awesome!"

His bit on Kevin Steen was so loving depressing on the other hand :(

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

Lloyd Boner posted:

That Kevin Steen's really loving good in every aspect of pro wrestling, but is also really loving fat, and that sucks because he'll never become the big star he deserves to be because of his fatness.

This, plus that he's probably going to be completely physically wrecked without ever earning the big paychecks by age 40 due to his high impact style and extra weight on his joints.

Meltzer claimed he could be be a millionaire main event heel if he'd just get his fat rear end into shape. Unfortunatley, even if he got himself into reasonable shape I don't think the WWE would ever push him to the top at his height. He could and probably should lose some weight, but I can't see the guy ever having a body that Vince and Triple H would approve of.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

CombineThresher posted:

Steen is a non-drinking, good-natured family man. It makes total sense that Rock likes him. Everyone should like him.

It's just incredibly cool that the Rock's a fan of his stuff, especially since he supposedly got heat after coming back for being a part timer who didn't really care about wrestling.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

I just renewed my Observer subscription for a month and I wwas wondering if there was any sort of s Larry Sweeney memorial show you guys could point out. It occurred to me that Bryan should have known him at least a little bit since they wrestled a few times and Bryan even won the Texarkana belt off of him at one point.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

This isn't really podcast related, but since this basically doubles as the Dave Meltzer thread I guess this is the best place for it.

I just read the year end issue, and this is the first year I've been subscribed at the time of the year end award or even aware it was open to subscriber voting. What address do I email my ballot to, dave@wrestlingobserver.com ? It wasn't mentioned in the newsletter.

Also, even though I'm aware he takes longevity into account, rating Steve Austin as only the 33rd best draw in history seems way too low.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

That excerpt from the Observer is fantastic, I really should resubscribe.

Cardboard Box posted:

that's true, I forgot how young he is, plus WWE doesn't really have the best trainers in the world I don't think.

I really don't understand why they don't appoint Regal as head trainer or at the very least a regular trainer down there. He's under contract and already does commentary work for NXT, and he really seems to have a good head for the business. All the advice he gives on twitter seems perfectly sensible at at least.

Of course, I'm just an untrained smark, but according to Wikipedia he trained Bryan Danielson at MCW and Danielson credits him as being instrumental in his career development.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

Free Observer show from Friday featuring Mike Quackenbush

He's obviously plugging yesterday's NPWD show but he talks about other stuff as well, and it's worth a listen if ou iike the guy. Made me want to check out old Michinoku Pro.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

Memento1979 posted:

I know very little about promotions other than WWE. For example: would the Briscoe brothers need day jobs? I assume if you're at any other promotion other than WWE, TNA or ROH you definitely would need one, and even most people at ROH would. Or am I showing my ignorance; can you actually make a decent living as an indie wrestler in the US? I mean, I doubt there is a single person living here in Australia who can make a living as a pro-wrestler or promoter in any capacity. When I trained (13 years ago, for about six months, total of two matches) the guy who trained me worked his day job as a car detailer for the dealership where I was working as a mechanic.

Briscoes are chicken farmers in real life and and it's part of their gimmick. Other top indie guys like Steen rely on wrestling as their sole source of income, but they certainly aren't making nearly as much as their WWE counterparts. Steen said in his Highspots shoot that he has no personal desire to work for the WWE, but he feels he should probably make the personal sacrifices to do so (for one thing, he'd need to lose a massive amount of weight) in order to better provide for his family. Colt Cabana would be an example of a guy who doesn't work for any of the promotions you mentioned who works purely in wrestling.

I'm not sure where I heard this or even that confident that I recall what I heard/read correctly so please don't take this as fact, but I think I read somewhere that Steen was making high 5 figures for example.

Thauros fucked around with this message at 00:54 on Mar 7, 2013

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

MassRayPer posted:

Please don't sue us Mike Quackenbush.

Usually don't listen to you guys' podcast since Dave and Bryan basically eat up the time I want to spend listening to wrestling podcasts, but I'll give this one a shot for the Quack segment.

triplexpac posted:

Do they? What they were saying pretty much lined up with what I thought as I was watching Raw, except I actually enjoy Fandango.

It sounds like Dave kinda does too, he just doesn't want to fight with Bryan over it haha.

They also really disliked the Punk segment. I can understand thinking it was in poor taste, but I don't get Dave's ojection that it's not "real life" and too cartoony for a major WM match when it's the loving Undertaker.

Pretty much in agreement with them on most everything else from the perspective of someone who made the questionable decision to see it live.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

Some of you guys must not have seen much old WW II movies/propgaganda.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wuMs5Trf9DU

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

The337th posted:

Really enjoyed Hillbilly Jim on this week's Art of Wrestling, surprisingly upbeat and positive guy. Kind of refreshing to hear a veteran who isn't remotely bitter and still loves the business. It's obvious he shares that old school mentality that wrestlers today work too hard/fast, but he is quick to compliment everything that impresses him about current wrestling as well.

He's younger than I thought, but still gotta give kudos to him simply for being a 60 year old big man wrestler who's alive and well.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

Euthyphro posted:

Let's please not ignore his best line in a while, on the rain at MetLife: "that was probably God crying for them putting The Miz over Wade Barrett."

It's funny how Dave hates babyface Miz even more than most people on this forum. Shortly after the turn he said that watching Miz made him want to hurl a grenade at his TV. After the Miz TV segment Bryan was praising Lesnar's aura of violence that made it seem like someone could actually get hurt which prompted Dave to say that would be ok since it was the Miz.

Thauros fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Apr 8, 2013

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

I've honestly never even bothered to check out the Board, although I see I'm not missing much.

Since this kinda serves as the general F4W topic, does anyone know how Dave gets his non PPV puro so quick? He was reviewing the Road to Invasion Attack show before the PPV and I was just curious how he got it since I find it hard to beleivE he relies on the general :filez: sources.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

Kudos to you guys for getting that trash taken down, and I plan on writing my own email to Bryan and Dave thanking them for doing so. The one thing I do want to add is that I honestly think Bryan and Dave deserve a bit of a chance if they show signs that they understand why this garbage isn't acceptable. Keep in mind that Dave is a 50 something guy who's spent his whole adult life in the often not exactly LGBT friendly worlds of pro wrestling and MMA, and Bryan as mentioned many times before is basically the living embodiment of the "wrestling bubble". Please don't take this to mean that I think that that excuses bigotry, but I do think it explains ignorance and to me ignorance is more what they seem to be guilty of. The fact that they took it down hopefully is a sign that they're learning something.

weekly font posted:

Yeah no loving chance.

My mom has a fairly similar LPCC certification (either that or an LSW is valid certification for her job), and she'd be the first to tell you that this is sadly not hard to believe.

Thauros fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Apr 10, 2013

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

MassRanTer posted:

I can't wait for the WOR where Dave opens by wondering who put a Miz shrine up in his office and if it replaced his Kobashi or his Steamboat shrine.

I was thinking during that segment that his wife totally should gently caress with his brain every few months for out amusement by removing/adding a poster or two.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

Considering Rey's increasing fragility I honestly think he's gonna retire before Taker. Taker seems to enjoy his current light schedule based around Wrestlemania and I could see him keeping it up for a few more years.

Honky Tonk Man seems a safe bet to inducted next year although he'd obviously be a secondary induction and not a headliner.

Oh, and as far as questions for you guys' podcast:

With the recent discussion of Meltzer's star ratings due to Wrestlemania and the 5 star Tanahashi/Okada match, who do you think is the best worker from the era Meltzer's covered (1983-present) who's never received recognition for a five star match, and what match if any of their career do you think deserved to be awarded 5 stars that Meltzer rated lower?

Thauros fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Apr 12, 2013

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

jeffersonlives posted:

Kurt Angle is the other obvious one. There were people mad Dave snubbed the Mania match with Shawn and the Rumble match with Benoit.

Angle was who I was thinking of because I honestly assumed Dave rated at least one Danielson match 5 stars. I guess looking at the list again his indie prime mostly corresponded with that 5 year period Dave was very stingy with handing out that final fraction of a star.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

MassRanTer posted:

So while you people were listening to a podcast that isn't even a real thing, Bryan Alvarez interviewed Maria and managed not to sexually harass her. Good on him.

Listening to it now, thought it as funny as Bryan pointed out how many people in that age bracket (myself included) have that same exact patten of watching wrestling.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

Yeah, I tend to shy away from ultra long podcasts amd I wouldn't want the average Dave and Bryan show to be any longer than it is.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

Cool to see a complementary article on him in the NY Times and it's great that he's apparently doing very well.

I wonder how his subscriber base has changed over the years?

Wrestling's certainly nowhere near as hot as it once was, but his newsletter is certainly more accessible now with the online subscriptions and of course casual fans aren't really his target audience anyway. I'd be curious to see how static it's remained since the online version became available and the merger with F4W.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

Skinty McEdger posted:

A lot of workers prefer the print version as it's easier to pass around at work or use as memorabila. I know Foley has a bunch of his good early reviews collected on display in his house.

I'm guessing there's also just some old smarks out there who have subscribed for decades and just continue out of some combination of inertia, discomfort with computers, or record keeping.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

I could tell he had a more modern computer/monitor in the photo, although I wonder why the hell he needs 5 computers in one room.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

Post would [probably be more on the level of the Daily Mail.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

Wario Kart 64 posted:

I know this isn't the thread for it but he answered a question about guys who should be in a major fed, saying the Briscoes should be, and mentioned that the WWE told the Briscoes no 4 years ago because they weren't "cosmetically pleasing". I've never heard that before but that's really dumb.

Here's a great promo they cut about it they cut shortly before the double turn with the WGTT at Final Battle 2011. As dumb as it was considering they really should be super marketable in the WWE, Jay's stupidity and homophobia on twitter is probably still going to keep them out even though Triple H is a lot better than Johnny Ace was at giving talented indie guys a chance.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vnzOZBtyP8Y

Thauros fucked around with this message at 02:04 on Jun 10, 2013

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

Just got around to listening to the new Kevin Steen AOW. Most of the stuff regarding Cornette I've heard before from various Steen shoots, but it was interesting to hear that ROH is open to bringing Colt back and the reluctance is on his part. I can understand him being bitter about the way his last stint with them ended, but you think he'd be more open after hearing from a friend of his who went through similar poo poo that it's a much better work environment now that Delirious replaced Cornette.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

Finally had the time to listen to the AOW with Dave, great show as I expected.

Kinda hilarious and depressing at the same time how his wife and even his 11 year old son hate wrestling.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

I wonder if we're ever going to get the rest of Dave and Mike's NJPW review that got cut off during their discussion of the tag title match?

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

KungFu Grip posted:

Hmm, what happened? You mean they got cut off during their time giving star ratings?

http://www.f4wonline.com/component/...alysis-see-note

Yeah. They lost all the second half due to a problem in their audio recording software. A note was added saying that they'd redo it but it hasn't happened yet.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

Nut Bunnies posted:

It's not all scouting, it's mostly a toxic reputation.

Yeah, and even from a pure financial perspective I doubt it would really be worth it for top indie guys like Steen who work a ton of different places to go to TNA now that they're very restrictive on outside bookings.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

PaybackJack posted:

215 minute Dave and Mike show. Excellent.

Usually skip the Dave and Mike shows due to their length, but I'm listening to the first segment now for the NJPW review.

I love hearing Dave rave about Suzuki, since the guy might be my favorite wrestler in the world right now even thoughI'm usually more of a flippy junior match kind of guy.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

MassRafTer posted:

Lance Storm show is up and it is pretty cool, especially his walk through of how to do a piledriver.

Yeah, just got around to listening to that, and that was fantastic as a fan who's never had any sort of training to hear part of how to properly take and perform a move given by someone who certainly knows what he's talking abut.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

TenCount guys:

Definitely wanted to give the show a listen this week with all the NJPW questions. Good show, but how the hell did you guys manage to completely ignore Devitt when discussing what NJPW guys could fare well in the WWE? He's a a good looking Irishman under 35 who has charisma, mic skills, and a fantastic physique. The main knock on him would obviously be his height, but I'm pretty sure he's at least taller than Bryan.

On the other side of the question, while i know you guys mentioned him I think Claudio would be a fantastic fit since they could use a tall gaijin who can go. I could see easily see him fitting in great with either Suzuki-gun or the Bullet Club.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

Either would work but I actually kinda see him as a more natural fit in Suzuki-gun. I could see him and Shelton forming a great tag tag team since they both have tons of experience and had chemistry as opponents in ROH.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

I'm just surprised that Miz could/would do an outside podcast.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

El Gallinero Gros posted:

He's the ultimate promotions guy for WWE these days, it's not surprising. But he is an engaging interview.

I said that badly, but since he is basically in the same category with Cena as far as go to PR guys go I'm surprised to see him do a non WWE wrestling podcast with an admittedly bitter ex employee.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

I had totally banished LOD's ventriloquist dummy from memory until I listened to Dave and Bryan's show from yesterday.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

I haven't had the chance to read today's Observer yet, but knocking Foley's ability like he did and equating him to Z-grade horror movies really struck me as unfair and an unnecessary subject to even broach.

It was nice to hear Dave tear apart the DDP/Wade Keller story on Monday's podcast especially considering that the Torch is one of his main competitors.

Edit: Just read it, and holy poo poo the Triple H interview analysis alone justified this month's $11 payment. Fantastic usage of historical anecdotes to call him out on his BS (and I like what Hunter's been doing as an executive).

Thauros fucked around with this message at 16:42 on Aug 29, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

Bryan's pretty drat good at covering current events and he should have most of the same connections as Dave by now.

What Dave's truly going to missed for is his incomparable knowledge and understanding of the industry's history. Doubt anyone can really replace him there.

• Locked thread