Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Emanuel Collective
Jan 16, 2008

by Smythe

Xandu posted:

Below Egypt, Sudan (not South Sudan), Libya, Tunisia, Morocco, Algeria, and Mauritania is no longer really the Middle East.

Don't forget Azawad

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Emanuel Collective
Jan 16, 2008

by Smythe
Unconfirmed reports out of Afghanistan say Mullah Omar has been killed. This would be about the millionth time this has been reported, but it'd be pretty big news if true.

Emanuel Collective
Jan 16, 2008

by Smythe
With Morsy going full Mubarak and Tunisia still dealing with unrest between leftists and Islamists, does that mean Libya currently has the brightest outlook of all the Arab Spring countries? Who would've guessed that a year ago?

Emanuel Collective
Jan 16, 2008

by Smythe

Pon de Bundy posted:

Mubaruk, Gaddafi, Assad, and Ben Ali kept their respective countries out of control of Islamists, and look what we have now.

Like this is any better?

I suppose a brutal and corrupt kleptocracy/dictatorship would be an acceptable form of government for a casual observer 5000 miles away who's only concern for the countries is making sure scary Muslims aren't allowed to speak their mind or exercise their rights for political gain

Emanuel Collective
Jan 16, 2008

by Smythe
Twitter seems to be blowing up with reports of mass spontaneous protests all throughout Turkey tonight. Is this just a Occupy Wall Street type thing or a legitimate movement? Everything I've heard about Turkey lately suggested the Ergodan government was relatively popular

Emanuel Collective
Jan 16, 2008

by Smythe

etalian posted:

Yeah the economic problems are going to be one the bigger issues in the long run, Egypt never really developed something such as a strong export market and also doesn't have access to massive energy reserves like the Arab gulf states to help bring in foreign hard currency.

If anything, this shows just how weak Egypt's energy sector is and how weak Egyptian exports are in general. The market isn't exactly flooded with Egyptian Gold, Suits, or Glazed Ceramic Flags

Emanuel Collective
Jan 16, 2008

by Smythe
Welp

"@CharlieKayeCBS
BREAKING. @CBSNews has learned that the Pentagon is making the initial preparations for a Cruise missile attack on Syrian government forces"

https://twitter.com/CharlieKayeCBS/status/371038205295861760

Emanuel Collective
Jan 16, 2008

by Smythe

Misandrist Duck posted:

Watch Bush start a war.

Kaye followed that tweet with

Which reads a little bit less imminent to me.

Well it could just be a "NATO launching cruise missiles at Iraq in the 90s" style strike, one that could be pulled off in a relatively short amount of time

Emanuel Collective
Jan 16, 2008

by Smythe

Raneman posted:

This situation is still developing and we have nothing concrete as of yet, the only thing I'm scared of is the intervention doing more harm than good, with the whole "It is certain Assad used chemical weapons" used to justify it before there is evidence.

There is plenty of evidence. Just because it isn't evidence you like doesnt mean tests and eyewitness reports dont count. And what evidence would be 'certain' for you? Admission by reigime officials? You wont get that. Spy satellite photos? Those arent better than eyewitnesses and testing.

Emanuel Collective
Jan 16, 2008

by Smythe
Don't know if this is on topic, but Al-Jazeera has obtained a report indicating to a high probability that Yasser Arafat was murdered via polonium :stare:

http://america.aljazeera.com/articles/2013/11/6/swiss-study-poloniumfoundinarafatasbones.html

I rolled my eyes when I first clicked on the link but the report doesn't seem like it was put together by quacks

e: beaten

Emanuel Collective
Jan 16, 2008

by Smythe

New Division posted:

Man, watching a parade of the architects of the Iraq war go on TV today to talk about the situation sure was fun. :barf:

the fact that Paul Wolfowitz and Bill Kristol were on two of the three main Sunday talk shows this week is yet the latest sign that the entirety of American news media needs to be shot into the sun

Emanuel Collective
Jan 16, 2008

by Smythe
Has everyone forgotten that the Obama administration sought congressional authorization for military action in Syria, which was wildly unpopular and went nowhere?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Autho...hemical_Weapons

Yes I know the president of the US has pretty wide ranging military powers. But even in wars like Iraq, Afghanistan, Kosovo, etc. the President rarely goes in without at least some sort of authorization from Congress.

Emanuel Collective
Jan 16, 2008

by Smythe

Dapper_Swindler posted:

true. where would they pull out too. My guess is either surrender or fight to the last man.

one of the drawbacks of relying on foreign fighters is that they're far less concerned about losing ground in (their eyes, anyway) some podunk desert provincial town than local fighters are. The locals rightfully fear retribution towards their families/property and have an emotional connection to the land they're fighting for; foreigners have their fanaticism and little else. I'd be interested to see the ratio of foreign/local ISIS fighters that've been captured.

Emanuel Collective
Jan 16, 2008

by Smythe
‏@CombatChris1 60 minutes ago
#Damascus : Rumors that ten SAA officers were killed and eight others arrested after a failed coup attempt at the Presidential Palace.

Emanuel Collective
Jan 16, 2008

by Smythe
This is totally a coup:

https://twitter.com/EliotHiggins/status/754042509119066112

https://twitter.com/ikoker/status/754040887018135552

Emanuel Collective
Jan 16, 2008

by Smythe

Fuligin posted:

My very sketchy understanding is that the Turkish military has generally operated as a safeguard of democracy, right? I know Erdogan is an increasingly authoritarian shitheel, but was there something in the past few weeks that might have directly precipitated action this drastic?

They've traditionally acted against left wing and islamist governments. "Purged" might be the better word. They could care less about democracy.

Emanuel Collective
Jan 16, 2008

by Smythe

fspades posted:

This coup must have been long in the making, but lately Erdogan was trying to purge the judiciary. If you planning to do a coup that's the alarm bell for you.

He already sorta purged the judiciary. Erdogan's moves towards dictatorship have been going on for years; it's what makes the timing of this so mysterious.

Emanuel Collective
Jan 16, 2008

by Smythe
Looks like civilians tried crossing the bridge on that periscope. Lots of gunfire now

Emanuel Collective
Jan 16, 2008

by Smythe

Lustful Man Hugs posted:

Wait, I thought Kaiserreich made most of this up. He actually became a fascist Khan? :psyduck:

Yes. He also believed in an extreme version of Buddhism that justified mass murder on the grounds that re-incarnation would bring about a better society. He believed so strongly that he was the reincarnation Ghengis Khan that he invaded Siberia with, like one army division in 1921. He didn't live much longer.

Emanuel Collective
Jan 16, 2008

by Smythe

Ianiniho posted:

Is there even anybody left in Turkey who could attempt a coup?

Yes, a relatively small portion of the military nearly succeeded despite having no plan, loving everything up, and having zero support from the population and politicians. It's highly unlikely now, although something like besieging Incirlik would probably be enough for the US to make some calls.

Emanuel Collective
Jan 16, 2008

by Smythe

Kurtofan posted:

Was Jarablus a village? How did it fall so fast?

Jarablus is less than a mile from the Turkish border and the remaining defenders were facing an all-out invasion from a NATO military power. The fighters who lived probably dropped their weapons and fled.

Emanuel Collective
Jan 16, 2008

by Smythe

LeoMarr posted:

Why didnt isis detonate more dams? Seems like a pretty great weapon of mass destruction

Because 1) they actually want to conquer these places, not completely destroy them and 2) lots of ISIS members probably don't want to drown their families. Blowing a dam wouldn't be a mere terror attack; it'd ruin an entire area for generations

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Emanuel Collective
Jan 16, 2008

by Smythe

Ramrod Hotshot posted:

I've probably repeated this in this thread before, but I've got a gut feeling that MBS is biting off way more than he can chew. He has to be pissing off some princes that still retain considerable power, what with the purges of the previous crown prince (who headed the Interior ministry, basically their FBI), and all these other princes and businessmen today. He's already proven himself to be a hothead with poor judgement and strategic thinking, what with the Yemen debacle and the failed Qatar embargo. And he'd be a young head of state anywhere, but this is a country where kings ascend at about the same age as popes do. Whether it's now or after he becomes king, someone has to be plotting behind the scenes to wipe that poo poo-eating grin off the crown prince's face.

And assuming the Hariri "resignation" is part of MBS's plan, he just made himself some new enemies in a country they can't afford to piss off too much

• Locked thread