Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tei
Feb 19, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
gently caress Erdogan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Notahippie
Feb 4, 2003

Kids, it's not cool to have Shane MacGowan teeth

IM_DA_DECIDER posted:

Considering how there's literally attack helicopters shooting rockets into the city going to the embassy is probably not overreacting. But of course SA mods past histories with embassies hasnt exactly been great.

It's much, much more dangerous to be in transit during a situation like this than to shelter in place. Security recommendations for civilians in conflict zones at companies I've worked with in the past are universally to stay put and let people in your organization and/or government know where you are. If they call for an evacuation of your nationality, then you try to get to the exit points. Until then, unless you're in a target location like a police station or government building, stay loving put and do not go outside into the area where helicopters may be shooting rockets.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

Laphroaig posted:

Get to an embassy immediately.

I'm in the middle of nowhere, it would mean travelling hours at night to a major city where all this poo poo is going down. I'm making other arrangements.

Karl Sharks
Feb 20, 2008

The Immortal Science of Sharksism-Fininism

VanSandman posted:

Stay safe BM. Don't play Jabber Online.

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

Wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma

quote:

The full Turkish military statement reads: “Turkish Armed Forces have completely taken over the administration of the country to reinstate constitutional order, human rights and freedoms, the rule of law and general security that was damaged.

“All international agreements are still valid. We hope that all of our good relationships with all countries will continue.”

The Turkish president Recep Tayyip Erdoğan is on holiday and outside the country. Reuters has quoted a source within his office as saying that he is safe.

Guardian has the full coup statement, and apparently Erdogan is out of the country.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

wern't the high ups in Erdogan pocket anyway?

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008

Constant Hamprince posted:

That's what we thought about Sisi.

Yeah, before the Arab Spring this would've just been Tuesday in Turkey, but after I'm a lot more worried. The last thing we need right now with the civil war in Syria and increased Kurdish separatist activity is someone in power who thinks Erdogan was too soft and respected rights too much.

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender

Thug Lessons posted:

At the risk of sounding alarmist, this is quite possibly the end of the rebels and the end of Rojava as well. So if you're cheering the coup, know that that's what you're cheering for.

Wouldn't the US have far fewer scruples defending their kurdish allies against a coup force than against their other ally?

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

My very sketchy understanding is that the Turkish military has generally operated as a safeguard of democracy, right? I know Erdogan is an increasingly authoritarian shitheel, but was there something in the past few weeks that might have directly precipitated action this drastic?

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

So what do you think was the boiling point for this apparently successful widely encompassing coup? Here's some options

- Purported plan by Erdogan to go after current military leadership (Guellnists, sp?)
- Previous numerous times Erdogan has purged military leadership
- Turkey's economy woes
- Fears of creeping Islamization (I would choose this if this happened in 10 years ago, I haven't seen anything suggesting anything particularly ambitious)
- Turkey purporting to ally with Assad and Russia (this would be my current choice)
- The lack of success fighting with the Kurds in the South
- Gezi Park-like protest against corruption by the AKP
- Erdogan's increasing moves to increase his own power, attempts at changing the constitution

Writing all this makes me think Erdogan was really playing with fire this year.

Hammerstein
May 6, 2005

YOU DON'T KNOW A DAMN THING ABOUT RACING !

Brown Moses posted:

I'm in the middle of nowhere, it would mean travelling hours at night to a major city where all this poo poo is going down. I'm making other arrangements.

Time to get into your Fulton gear.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fulton_surface-to-air_recovery_system

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Thug Lessons posted:

At the risk of sounding alarmist, this is quite possibly the end of the rebels and the end of Rojava as well. So if you're cheering the coup, know that that's what you're cheering for.

It doen't have to be said, but you have no basis for this whatsoever. It wasn't like Erdogan was friendly to the YPG before.

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

Fuligin posted:

My very sketchy understanding is that the Turkish military has generally operated as a safeguard of democracy, right? I know Erdogan is an increasingly authoritarian shitheel, but was there something in the past few weeks that might have directly precipitated action this drastic?

The response to the airport bombing or situation in the south?

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?

Brown Moses posted:

Brown Moses confirmed to be spearheading conquest of Turkey.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

Fuligin posted:

Lol no.

For everything I can say about Erdogan he is a democratically elected leader with the support, however caveated, of the majority of the nation. This will get really ugly if it succeeds.

Michael Scott
Jan 3, 2010

by zen death robot

Ilustforponydeath posted:

This didn't work last time.

Jesus christ.

Brown Moses posted:

What are you doing instead? And also what were you doing in Turkey?

Good luck.

Thug Lessons
Dec 14, 2006

I lust in my heart for as many dead refugees as possible.

IM_DA_DECIDER posted:

Wouldn't the US have far fewer scruples defending their kurdish allies against a coup force than against their other ally?

They will not intervene against a NATO ally regardless of circumstances.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Fuligin posted:

Window of opportunity due to him leaving on a foreign trip, combined with rising internal tensions, security deterioration, and compromising the national secular order the army hjas prided itself on upholding in the past.

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

Yep Anadolu reporting Hulusi Akar, chief of the general staff, being held hostage by an unknown group

IronDoge
Nov 6, 2008

Blocking social media seems a little fruitless in the wake of a military uprising.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Notahippie posted:

It's much, much more dangerous to be in transit during a situation like this than to shelter in place. Security recommendations for civilians in conflict zones at companies I've worked with in the past are universally to stay put and let people in your organization and/or government know where you are. If they call for an evacuation of your nationality, then you try to get to the exit points. Until then, unless you're in a target location like a police station or government building, stay loving put and do not go outside into the area where helicopters may be shooting rockets.

A friend of mine was in a country in Africa that was being taken over by the military. My friend calls the British embassy, and the person who worked there asked him if he saw a tank coming down his street. My friend said no, the embassy person said unless you do just stay at home.

Stay safe and hunkered down Brown Moses.

Mr. Gibbycrumbles
Aug 30, 2004

Do you think your paladin sword can defeat me?

En garde, I'll let you try my Wu-Tang style
I wonder if Boris Johnson will read out his Erdogan poem when he makes a statement on this?

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Shageletic posted:

So what do you think was the boiling point for this apparently successful widely encompassing coup? Here's some options

- Purported plan by Erdogan to go after current military leadership (Guellnists, sp?)
- Turkey's economy woes
- Fears of creeping Islamization (I would choose this if this happened in 10 years ago, I haven't seen anything suggesting anything particularly ambitious)
- Turkey purporting to ally with Assad and Russia (this would be my current choice)
- Erdogan's increasing moves to increase his own power, attempts at changing the constitution

If Erdogan's out of the country, would that still make him the government in exile? Part of me wants Obama and everyone to go "Yeah...about that" and kick his rear end to the curb.

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
I mean other than the Kurds (which is a pretty big deal anyway) the military's stance on most things are probably more palatable for me/most people in this thread than Erdogan. But the fact that the Turkish army keeps having to execute a coup every decade when the reigning government doesn't just disband to avoid one doesn't speak to its long-term success. It doesn't matter if they depose one party of Islamists if the next one just gets voted in a few years later.

Thug Lessons
Dec 14, 2006

Shageletic posted:

It doen't have to be said, but you have no basis for this whatsoever. It wasn't like Erdogan was friendly to the YPG before.

Okay but the military hardliners, believe it or not, make Erdogan look like Apo. They are also not very keen on Erdogan's jihadist friends in Syria and those are the only people propping up the rebellion at this point.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!
As a long time lurker, just wanna say stay safe Brown Moses.

Griffen
Aug 7, 2008

Fuligin posted:

From what I've followed on Turkey, Erdogan is essentially wanting to rewrite the constitution to make himself dictator. I'm guessing as soon as the HDP was chucked out and the majority in the legislature was assured for AKP's move, the military started planning. I think the specific catalyst is Erdogan being out of the country. Honestly, I'm surprised they hadn't done this a year or so ago during the purges. Erdogan made an enemy of the military in a country where the military prides itself on being the protector of Ataturk's legacy. Whether they actually are or not is irrelevant, because the military thinks they are, and thus are invested in their status in the country. Erdogan trying to kick them to the curb was asking for this.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Mr. Gibbycrumbles posted:

I wonder if Boris Johnson will read out his Erdogan poem when he makes a statement on this?

His first move with SIS, to reduce diplomatic embarrassment.

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

I'm not a military strategist but I think the military can probably win a fight against police and citizens.

Fututor Magnus
Feb 22, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
People on Twitter believing things henceforth are going to be good if Erdogan's ousted. Sure, gently caress him, but do we have any idea who's even behind this? Are there elements in the military who're worse than Erdogan?

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

Reports that helicopter was firing on MiT headquarters

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Young Freud posted:

If Erdogan's out of the country, would that still make him the government in exile? Part of me wants Obama and everyone to go "Yeah...about that" and kick his rear end to the curb.

I guess he will become another Yanukovich unless his cronies push back against the military effectively enough / the uprising turns out to be more limited than it seems.

Thug Lessons
Dec 14, 2006

Insurrectionist posted:

I mean other than the Kurds (which is a pretty big deal anyway) the military's stance on most things are probably more palatable for me/most people in this thread than Erdogan. But the fact that the Turkish army keeps having to execute a coup every decade when the reigning government doesn't just disband to avoid one doesn't speak to its long-term success. It doesn't matter if they depose one party of Islamists if the next one just gets voted in a few years later.

Yeah it's Morsi all over again.

Emanuel Collective
Jan 16, 2008

by Smythe

Fuligin posted:

They've traditionally acted against left wing and islamist governments. "Purged" might be the better word. They could care less about democracy.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

cheesetriangles posted:

I'm not a military strategist but I think the military can probably win a fight against police and citizens.

Not according AMerican second amendment worshippers.

Thug Lessons
Dec 14, 2006

cheesetriangles posted:

The question is whether it's the entire military, or a faction.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

cheesetriangles posted:

Depends on how many they're willing to kill.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Young Freud posted:

From past history? Hell no. Western governments will work with whoever controls the military.

Karl Sharks
Feb 20, 2008

The Immortal Science of Sharksism-Fininism

kustomkarkommando posted:

Yep Anadolu reporting Hulusi Akar, chief of the general staff, being held hostage by an unknown group

is he a erdogan supporter or dissenter?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fspades
Jun 3, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Shageletic posted:

- Turkey's economy woes

This coup must have been long in the making, but lately Erdogan was trying to purge the judiciary. If you planning to do a coup that's the alarm bell for you.

• Locked thread