Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

54.4 crowns posted:

gently caress that to DEATH! It was a poo poo idea then and its a poo poo idea now. Voting for the partition plans in India and Palestine is the biggest blunder in its existence.

If anything it should be Yugoslav federalism.
3 Autonomous civil goverments, free movement and representation in the province you live in no matter the sect and a federal goverment with a rotating presidental seat.
And nationalize oil production( the regions with oil can still profit on jobs and ad-hoc industries) for federal projects encompassing all states.

You do remember what was required to hold the Yugoslavian federation together, right?

Now, I wonder where we could find an equally adept strongman to keep things together?

Oh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Brown Moses posted:

Breaking on AP

ReV VAdAUL posted:

What did the Kurds ever do to Israel to get a kiss of death like that?

ufarn posted:

Is there a particular relation between Israel and Kurdish Iraq, or is it more of an "International Community" thing?

I've been seeing rumors about it for a couple of days in Israeli media. Israelis assisted Kurdish resistance along with the Americans and the Shah's Iran, fighting against Saddam Hussein. They even had contacts with Massoud Barazani himself. There's a book by a Mossad operative about the history of that, unfortunately it's in Hebrew and I don't think I'll be having access to it anytime soon. The Wikipedia Page looks kind of dodgy, but has some further sources.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Sucrose posted:

I don't think anything is going to particularly doom the Kurds at this point, unless a bunch of state actors suddenly turn on them.

Yeah, I somehow don't think Massoud Barzani is really afraid of being endorsed by Israel. It's not as much of a spoiler as it used to be, apparently.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Sergg posted:

Nope. The Saudi royals have perfected buying off the populace with their infinite money.
I don't know, what if they come to Saudi Arabia and basically say "things will be running the same, except we kill those rear end in a top hat royals so less of the oil money is squandered in paying off their various bullshit expenses"? Is there really going to be this huge public outcry and call to arms? Without US support, is the SA military even capable of fighting its way out of an oil-slick, assuming morale holds?

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

computer parts posted:

Literally 20% of their population are foreign nationals that they hire to do the actual dirty work for them.

And suppose ISIS comes over and tells them "hey, you guys can still live the life that you want, but we're taking these rear end in a top hat royals away that you've spent your life resenting. You probably won't notice the difference because we'll impose the same Islamic restrictions that you've come to know and love"? Who is going to be fighting for the House of Saud (other than the US)?

They don't have to actually follow through with all of it, just make a lot of promises now that they'll break later, and make it easy for the Saudi enlisted to change sides without much of a fight. Hell, with the amount the Saudi royals apparently squander, they may not even need to tap into the welfare money for a long while.

Anybody have a good rundown of the actual form of that welfare, by the way? I'm having a hard time getting good information through Wikipedia+Google.

SALT CURES HAM posted:

An ISIS-held Saudi Arabia would be very bad for the US, and unlike Iraq it would be very easy to justify helping out the Saudi government.

Unless it takes too long for the US to step in. Boots on the ground can't resurrect the dead.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

MrNemo posted:

The thing is ISIS wouldn't really have any significant support inside SA. As much as Saudis may love back seat Jihading and throwing money at people who talk about destroying the infidel, pretty much all of them live very comfortable lives. For most of them SA is a fairly ideal Islamic country (properly strict without being 'crazy') and the House of Saud keep everything running very nicely. They are very happy to help bring Jihad to awful foreign places but there is a vanishingly small number in the country that want to actually endanger the deal they've currently got.

Hell they do a very good job of exporting all their wild eyed zealots who might actually do anything to endanger the comfortable living everyone else enjoys. Those people are not going to be welcomed back. Additionally the House of Saud is very tied to Wahabism and they definitely have a stranglehold on religious belief in the country, unless there's some new developments I'm totally unaware of.
The very fact that they've been paying off zealots to export out means that they have such zealots in place. And I am not sure about how happy most Saudis are with how things are running currently. Stories I've been reading in printed media seems to confirm the worries in this about.com article. Again, I know I'm speculating, I would love to see a good online resource as to what's actually going on over there. There was a goon who had a comic thread about growing up there, right?

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Vernii posted:

You're assuming that the average Saudi citizen is as conservative as the state institutions that keep the country a theocratic hellhole, which is a large mistake.
That isn't what I'm assuming. I'm assuming they're not going to go up in arms with one theocratic shithead with another, especially if the latter are perceived as less corrupt.

quote:

Second, the Saudi army is pretty poo poo, but the SANG is actually halfway competent compared to them, and unlike the army, it's specifically dedicated to protecting the monarchy. It's membership is specifically composed of tribes that are loyal to the royal family and relatives of the king. It's almost as large as the Army as well, and this isn't even getting into the intelligence branches focused on weeding out internal threats.
So is it big enough to withstand attack from ISIS?

quote:

The Saudis haven't stayed on top of that shithole for as long as they have by just bribery, there's very much a stick to go along with the carrots that they've been feeding everyone, and that stick is getting disappeared if you're too much of a troublemaker.
This is not necessarily about anyone rising up, it is about them sitting down and not actively resisting ISIS fighters.

Also, you seem to think that tightly-controlled societies are stable, instead of learning from, say, the collapse of the Soviet bloc, that such societies become extremely fragile when pushed over a certain threshold. The question is whether ISIS has that push.

quote:

The US wouldn't gently caress around at all, it's probably one of the few issues that Democrats and Republicans would march lockstep in, and the Saudi army and secret police would get a blank check to go hog wild.

EDIT:

This is a pretty good article, and has some good insight into why we won't have to worry about Saudi Arabia.

I don't know, I have a hard time trusting in the "genius" of an operator who has managed to put all of its heft around the losing Al Qaeda franchise in Syria, and had the winner push them into working closely with its main regional competitor, Iran. War Nerd seems to be falling into a fallacy here; just because the Saudis managed to survive doesn't mean they have a magic formula to survive, or that their tactics are going to keep them around when circumstances change. Sometimes bubbles burst and take you with them.

Anyway, his analysis seems to naturally segue into discounting ISIS. For the sake of the region, I hope he's right. But I have to say I think he's just bought a certain narrative and is sticking with it to the bitter end.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Umiapik posted:

Well, the IDF have already killed half a dozen or so Palestinian youths in the course of investigating this kidnapping but that was before the teenagers were found dead. I'd assume they'll kill another 20 or 30 now before they're satisfied.

It's really kind of hosed up. Even social media is all astir with people wanting to go out and take revenge on the Palestinians. I've pointed out that the disproportionate response had already been done, and was actually harmful to the investigation, but I think I'm a terrible Arab-lover now or something.

ReV VAdAUL posted:

Not that we'd ever find out if it was the case but it would be interesting to see Israel's reaction if it turned out a fellow illegal settler had murdered them. Or it turned out they'd only recently been killed and if the Israeli government hadn't spent their time harassing HAMAS they'd likely been able to find them.

Regardless though HAMAS will be blamed and airstrikes will kill a few dozen Palestinians (at best).
They seem to have come up with the names of specific Hamas activists, who have gone missing shortly after the kidnapping/murder. There does not seem to be any indication that a settler killed those kids.

I do agree that focus on proper police work would probably have turned up the bodies sooner, and caused less collateral damage. But, again, I'm some "Arab lover" who does not immediately respond to anything bad done by an Arab with "let's start killing all of them indiscriminately, that'll learn them", so I'm probably not the person to talk to.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Kurtofan posted:

My grandfather hates BHL with a passion, because he said people should boycott Corsica because of organized crime.

Obviously not organized enough if they're letting this disrespect pass.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Radio Prune posted:

Well they have identical positions and stances, make identical posts and use the same sources. Oh, and there was that time BabyChoom said he'd also been posting under the username "guyincognito". But maybe it's a coincidence? :shrug:

My God, we really don't know how to detect sarcasm or trolling in this forum. :sigh:

By the way, I think all Israel/Palestine derails are supposed to go to their own thread. It's not like it's really constructive over there, but at least this thread can stay on point without too much bloviating/ranting.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

dinoputz posted:

At this point I don't think they even have to come out with anti-Western/anti-Israel rhetoric anymore; it's more than implied. They're just more concerned with the operating area at the moment. I'm sure striking the West/Israel would be on the agenda if they last long enough into the near-future (they won't).

The video posted here earlier, documenting the aftermath of their conquest of a border crossing between Iraq and Syria, made fun of the US (one person there was telling Obama to make sure his soldiers come in with diapers), and clearly stated that they will be praying in Al Aqsa (the mosque in Al Quds/Jerusalem) soon.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Yeah, but that was France. The US doesn't have that kind of international legitimacy coupled with political will anymore.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Sithsaber posted:

We're doomed as soon as they co-opt the genies.

They'll just get depressed, lower their update frequency, and eventually close the thread and get banned by Allowtax. So there is still hope! :shobon:

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Sithsaber posted:

Wait, are you saying ISIS has displayed on site forums activity?

They said they were going to do it once a week, but they kept finding excuses to postpone it, and Allowtax got tired of their excuses.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

silvergoose posted:

Y'know, I'm vaguely curious. What *is* the IS's "plan" for the state of Israel? I think I've thusfar not heard anything about it, since they've been fully focused on Syria and Iraq and such.
There was a throw-away line in that "End of Sykes-Picot" movie about them coming to pray in Al Aqsa, but it's probably not a short-term thing for them.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

ReV VAdAUL posted:

According to someone Brown Moses retweeted Saudi is using a variety of units from other nations to guard their borders because they fear their elements of their own military might side with ISIS:

https://twitter.com/THE_47th/status/487281416737394688

https://twitter.com/THE_47th/status/487281678692679681

https://twitter.com/THE_47th/status/487281983177781248

Of course if oil land comes under threat the US will be providing intensive air support at the very least.

That is very strange, because when StabbinHobo and myself brought up the question of Saudi Arabia succumbing to ISIS through an internal revolt, these were some the responses:

Sergg posted:

Nope. The Saudi royals have perfected buying off the populace with their infinite money.

MrNemo posted:

The thing is ISIS wouldn't really have any significant support inside SA. As much as Saudis may love back seat Jihading and throwing money at people who talk about destroying the infidel, pretty much all of them live very comfortable lives. For most of them SA is a fairly ideal Islamic country (properly strict without being 'crazy') and the House of Saud keep everything running very nicely. They are very happy to help bring Jihad to awful foreign places but there is a vanishingly small number in the country that want to actually endanger the deal they've currently got.

Hell they do a very good job of exporting all their wild eyed zealots who might actually do anything to endanger the comfortable living everyone else enjoys. Those people are not going to be welcomed back. Additionally the House of Saud is very tied to Wahabism and they definitely have a stranglehold on religious belief in the country, unless there's some new developments I'm totally unaware of.

Vernii posted:

You're assuming that the average Saudi citizen is as conservative as the state institutions that keep the country a theocratic hellhole, which is a large mistake. Second, the Saudi army is pretty poo poo, but the SANG is actually halfway competent compared to them, and unlike the army, it's specifically dedicated to protecting the monarchy. It's membership is specifically composed of tribes that are loyal to the royal family and relatives of the king. It's almost as large as the Army as well, and this isn't even getting into the intelligence branches focused on weeding out internal threats.

The Saudis haven't stayed on top of that shithole for as long as they have by just bribery, there's very much a stick to go along with the carrots that they've been feeding everyone, and that stick is getting disappeared if you're too much of a troublemaker.

Some of these posters, as well as others did mention US support at the time, but I'm wondering why the above arguments are no longer valid.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

How are u posted:

If ISIS declares war on FIFA I'm genuinely unsure which side I'd support.

They'd have plenty of sympathy among the migrant laborers, that's for sure. Dhimmitude might not seem so bad compared to what they have to deal with.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Cocoa Ninja posted:

Genuine curiosity, what constitutes a shitload? Is it that 200 killed is a huge proportion or that they've been genuinely decimated?

Also, how many "special forces" are there, and by whose definition? In the article above it seems like 50 were a very effective force against a couple hundred irregulars. But I also know that when reading about Central America anyone trained by school of the Americas was considered "special forces" by the media, even if that meant only battle tested against impoverished villagers.

Special as in their actions are especially heinous?

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Libertarianism works, ladies and gentlemen! :ancap:

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Friendly Factory posted:

We don't have the millions personally. Archaeological foundations, in this case a collection of museums I believe, are the source of the money. It's just as bad as the lovely museums that buy stolen artefacts, only on a bigger scale.

It would be lovely if you explained what on Earth you're talking about, because at this point I'm not getting anything other than an incoherent rant against archeology and museums and no real relation to the Taliban destroying statues. Who made which lovely decisions when?

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

sullat posted:

That's incredibly poor logic, if that was the case. Unless the money was in some form that cannot be spent on children (eg, bitcoins) the Taliban turned down money that could go to their children in order to blow up statues. They put ideology (idolology, maybe? I'm sure there's a good pun in there somewhere) above people.

Also, apparently nobody strictly Muslim has ever donated money for a Mosque or a religious site. In true legit Islam, all possible money is given to the poor, without exception.

Incidentally, I can't imagine there weren't simultaneous UN relief efforts, if the Taliban were allowing them in.

Overall, this sounds like a very poor argument towards the criminal nature of Big Archaeology.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

People :nms: 'd that image for a reason, I don't think those who haven't looked at it want the gory details in prose.

At least [spoiler] that stuff, or something. :smith:

ETA: ^^^ Thanks!

Absurd Alhazred fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Jul 21, 2014

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

tsa posted:

Ah gotcha, I wasn't about to mouse over that to find out if it was text or not.

Not to mention IDF's follies outside of I / P haven't exactly gone to plan in recent years.

Yeah, let's keep in mind that the only way HW kept a coalition of Arab states fighting against Iraq is Israel sitting there and taking the SCUDs without responding. I would see them seeking refuge in Israel before I'd see them openly asking Israel to protect their countries.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Dreissi posted:

God drat am I in the same universe?

I can't find the seriously good review of the subject, but there's a bit here about Iranian cooperation with the Bush Administration just after 9/11 and before he decided he wants them in the Axis of Evil anyway. A missed opportunity if ever there was one.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Cippalippus posted:

No dictatorship in the style of Assad is built to last very long, and actually the Baa'thist Syria lasted for a quite long time. This said, regimes like Assad's Syria are best brought down with international appeasement rather than with brutal force; I'm thinking about Spain or Portugal, or several South/Central American states.

:godwinning:

quote:

Instead, the american policy of always backing Israel has had the long lasting effect of rooting Assad in his post. The Assads used this card to strenghten their grip on power, being given a convenient and always ready scarecrow. Regimes like those are built on the premise of an outside evil force prying on the nation.
There was probably a chance in 2000 to open negotiations with Syria, but all went into the shitter when someone had the bright idea of stopping that all.

So you're supporting Russia's backing of Syria because it's a regime that is built on the premise of an outside evil force prying[sic] on the nation, but not the US's support of Israel, a similarly paranoiac regime, which is just not quite as effective at killing its citizens and subjects? If Protective Edge lasts a few more months and kills a few tens of thousands of Palestinians, if Israel starts using sarin, barrel bombs, and chlorine on a regular basis, are you then finally going to start warming up to Israel? I mean, they, too are keeping those unstable fundamentalist Sunnis from acting up. :allears:

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

SedanChair posted:

100% of Iraqis in this picture loved intervention.

FAUXTON posted:

It's kind of unsettling how much that looks like BibiSharon.

(Sorry, huge image fit for a huge man)

Content: I don't think it's been addressed here, but a friend was actually taken in by a conspiracy theory stating that Edward Snowden revealed documents showing that Al-Baghdadi was trained by Mossad. That is not the case, says Time Magazine. I would imagine that an actual Snowden leak to this effect would be reported in the Guardian or the Washington Post.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Gregor Samsa posted:

The presence of nontrivial Christian populations in Syria, Palestine, Egypt, Turkey, etc. got me wondering: are there any middle eastern states (aside from Israel, obviously) states with a significant Jewish population? If so, does anybody know what their role/relationship with the rest of society is there?

Iran:

quote:

Iran's Jewish community is officially recognized as a religious minority group by the government, and, like the Zoroastrians, they are allocated one seat in the Iranian Parliament. Siamak Moreh Sedgh is the current Jewish member of the parliament, replacing Maurice Motamed in the 2008 election. In 2000, former Jewish MP Manuchehr Eliasi estimated that at that time there were still 60,000–85,000 Jews in Iran; most other sources put the figure at 25,000.[48] The United States State Department estimated the number of Jews in Iran at 20,000–25,000 as of 2009.[49]

Today Tehran has 11 functioning synagogues, many of them with Hebrew schools. It has two kosher restaurants, an old-age home and a cemetery. There is a Jewish library with 20,000 titles.[45] Iranian Jews have their own newspaper (called "Ofogh-e-Bina") with Jewish scholars performing Judaic research at Tehran's "Central Library of Jewish Association".[50] The "Dr. Sapir Jewish Hospital" is Iran's largest charity hospital of any religious minority community in the country;[50] however, most of its patients and staff are Muslim.[51]

Chief Rabbi Yousef Hamadani Cohen is the present spiritual leader for the Jewish community of Iran.[52] In August 2000, Chief Rabbi Cohen met with Iranian President Mohammad Khatami for the first time.[53] In 2003, Chief Rabbi Cohen and Maurice Motamed met with President Khatami at Yusef Abad Synagogue which was the first time a President of Iran had visited a synagogue since the Islamic Revolution.[54] Haroun Yashayaei is the chairman of the Jewish Committee of Tehran and leader of Iran's Jewish Community.[54][55] On January 26, 2007, Yashayaei's letter to President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad concerning his Holocaust denial comments brought about worldwide media attention.[56][57][58]

The Jews of Iran have been best known for certain occupations like making gold jewelry and antique dealing, textiles and carpets.

Conditions

Jews are conscripted into the Iranian army like all Iranian citizens. Many Iranian Jews fought during the Iran-Iraq war (1980–1988) as drafted soldiers, and about 150 were killed.[59]

Most Iranian Jews say that they view Iran as their home and are allowed to practice Judaism freely.[60]

After Israel, it is home to the second-largest Jewish population in the Middle East.

:ironicat:

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

GuyinCognito posted:

Yes Israel does destroy Jewish communities elsewhere in the world to boost their ranks. Before it was Iran with decades of threats to bomb it so the jews their would flee. Now it's the entire population of France that is the threat to french jews to instill fear in those jews so that they leave to israel.

Yeah, it's the Zionists that have been attacking Synagogues in France. :rolleyes:

Had the Iraqis sufficiently appreciated their Jewish community they would have encouraged them to stay; had they actually cared about the Palestinian refugees, they definitely wouldn't have required the former to renounce their Iraqi citizenship in order to leave, as that made it more likely that they would settle in the latter's cleansed households and land on a permanent basis.

I met several elderly Iraqi Jews who harkened back to a better time in Baghdad, but also ones who were very jaded with a society that so easily dispensed with them for the acts of provocateurs.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Trotski Icepick posted:

[quote]
Giving expelled Muslims the same rights appears complicated however.

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/feb/24/spain-sephardic-jews-islam-muslim

Guardian posted:

Antonio Manuel Rodríguez Ramos suggested another reason. The hundreds of thousands of Muslims who left in the early 1600s couldn't possibly have been the only Muslim descendants in the country, he insisted. "The majority of these people didn't leave when they were expelled," he argued. "They stayed and they created a culture that can be described as most authentic and most Hispanic."

Extending the right of return to the descendants of Spanish Muslims would shine a spotlight on a truth that most in Spain would like to ignore, he argued. "The danger is that we will have to recognise that the majority of the Spanish population is of Muslim descent," said Rodríguez Ramos. "It's an effort to hide our history, to hide our memory."

That's a strange argument. The Muslim invasion only happened in the 8th Century, and Muslims were expelled/converted by the 13th Century. So most of the people with "Muslim heritage" were likely converts from Christianity, rather than exemplars of some "Ur-Muslim" descent.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

illrepute posted:

I go with ISIS or their arabic acronym, "da3sh" ("Dah-Esh"), which is apparently pejorative (good). Calling them "The Islamic State" is like the Third Reich calling itself the Party People Republic.

Any sources on it being pejorative? Da3sh is just the acronym of Dawlat al-Islamia fi Iraq wa-a(l)-Shams = ISIS/ISIL, isn't it?

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Xoidanor posted:

Calling for public funding invites corruption and favors which don't really promote the stability needed to actually utilize the canal. That's assuming it ever gets made even if they get the funding.

Welcome to the Republican party. :newt:

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

murphyslaw posted:

There is no way in hell that they would be so dumb as to actually believe it to be feasible to dig a canal parallel to the Suez in one year using donated funds only. This has to be a really hilarious get-rich-quick scheme thought up by one of their ministers and now they're actually going through with it. It is ballsy and funny as all hell.
It's a good thing there's the Fourth Branch of government, the media, to put these things under public scrutiny.

Oh, wait, no, they put journalists in jail there for "criminally reporting bad things", never mind. Carry on! :wave:

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
A bit of comic relief is in order. A friend on Facebook was talking about how they're only now hearing about ISIS. Someone slowly shat out the following assessment, over several comments: "oh, a bunch of Arabs with Kalashnikovs, boohoo. They may be scary to a bunch of lame armies, not a modern one. I'm not afraid of some medieval barbarians with Kalashnikovs, a little girl flying a drone could wipe them all out."

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Kilometers Davis posted:

I get why this is stupid and all but it's not THAT wrong. If the U.S. wanted to we could wipe out their entire existence in no time at all. Certainly a silly point to make considering what they've already done though.

Except that they are descendents of organizations that the US failed to destroy when it was occupying Iraq. Not to mention that Taliban in Pakistan's tribal areas and Al Qaeda in Yemen are still alive and well under US drone strikes, and they've not made half as many gains.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Cippalippus posted:

That would be funny if it hadn't been the actual american policy regarding the middle east in the last 40 years.
You're right. That makes it hilarious. But maybe it's a penchant for gallows humor on my part.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
Yeah, the US lost so much credibility in the region that most initiatives it runs will cause more harm than help. As for sending Israel to do things... Really? All ISIS needs is Israel attacking it to raise its recruitment rates by an order of magnitude, and make it easier for them to destabilize any region with a large Palestinian contingent (I'm looking at you, Jordan!). Then again, maybe that's something Israel would do because at this point they don't seem to know how are geoppolitic formed.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Martin Random posted:

And ISIS might not just expand in a geographically contiguous fashion. Keep your eyes on the internal struggles within Egypt, Libya, and Tunisia.
Didn't Boko Haram swear fealty to Al-Baghdadi a while ago?

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Xoidanor posted:

Lebanon, they've got quite the bone to pick with Hezbollah and that would potentially give them access to the mediterranean sea.

Syria has its own access to the Med. They just need to take Homs and/or Latakia.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Gen. Ripper posted:

"Tankie" comes from when shithead British communists supported the crushing of the Hungarian revolution in 1956 by tanks (hence, the name). It mainly refers to kneejerk "AMERICA BAD" shitheads nowadays.
There are, by the way, still literal Stalin apologists in the world. There's a guy you'd see in many left-wing demos in Israel with a Stalin T-shirt. It was unironic. :negative:

Gail Wynand posted:

That's why it's likely this latest "advance" by ISIS into Mosul is the result of a strategic retreat by the peshmerga. They can sit back and let the US bomb ISIS with no risk of friendly fire!
:stare: What if the US bombs the dam by mistake?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

computer parts posted:

Which is harder for you to swallow: having blood on your hands 'cuz the genocide you knew would happen actually happened, or losing an argument on the internet?

Much like the burden of proof falls on the person proposing something new, so does it fall on the person calling for intervention. You are the one who needs to explain why the non-intervention default will lead to genocide, and then why an intervention would prevent it without causing the potential for something worse. Recall that this genocide is coming as a consequence of a previous American intervention to, let's pretend bring democracy to Iraq, a country tortured by a savage despot.

• Locked thread