Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GoreJess
Aug 4, 2004

pretty in pink

Bardeh posted:

Thanks for all the advice guys, I think we'll try swaddling him more often too in the evenings. We haven't been doing it as often in the last couple of weeks because he seems to like kicking his little legs around while he's drinking, but maybe the feeling of confinement will calm him down a little.

My son hates having his legs confined too & we've had success with the Halo sleep sack swaddlers. It gives him lots of room to kick, but keeps his arms from flailing around.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GoreJess
Aug 4, 2004

pretty in pink

Midnight Science posted:

^ This. We are surrounded.

Also, I hate when people (mainly my parishioners) ask me if my husband's excited about the baby. Are they asking me if the pregnancy was a mistake? Or is it just really awkward small talk?

Edit: Congratulations, Lullabee!

They're just making small talk. :)

Congrats on the baby Lullabee!!

GoreJess
Aug 4, 2004

pretty in pink
It's no more invasive than your annual exam or actually giving birth. I had a couple early on to check on my cervix. Since I had a LEEP done a few years ago I was more at risk for early dilation.

GoreJess
Aug 4, 2004

pretty in pink

EVG posted:

Sorry to hop in at the end of the thread, but what is the best gift you would recommend for a new first-time mother? A friend of mine gave birth yesterday and I'd like to send her a gift.

I was thinking of also gifting her a grubhub gift card (so she doesn't need to worry about cooking for a while) and I already got her the Goon-Approved Seahorse as a baby shower gift.

She lives out in the burbs and I live in the city (Chicago) and don't have a car, so I can't easily visit, so wanted to send a little something as "congrats for finally popping that thing out after 9 months - good luck with the next 18 years". :)

Food gifts were the best gifts those first couple of weeks. For the baby, I got tons of mileage out of our Halo Sleepsack Swaddle. http://www.amazon.com/SleepSack-Mic...eepsack+swaddle

I would have killed for someone to come & clean up the house for me. Clean bathrooms, do the floors, clean up the kitchen etc. If you think she'd be okay with it, a certificate for a cleaning company would be really nice.

GoreJess
Aug 4, 2004

pretty in pink
^Hahaha yeah, this. When we took the tour of our maternity center they said at least 3 times, "Do not under any circumstances go to the ER if you're in labor or having pregnancy complications. They will freak out & think you're about to have that baby in the hallway. Come straight here where we know how to take care of you."

GoreJess
Aug 4, 2004

pretty in pink
On the calorie intake, I am just as hungry now if not more so than when I was pregnant. I dropped to my pre-pregnancy weight within a month of Archer's birth & have kept it off without having to exercise or diet. Breastfeeding literally sucks everything out of you.

GoreJess
Aug 4, 2004

pretty in pink

Acrolos posted:

Thanks for posting this. Before I read your comments, my wife made a similar decision after about Abby screamed for hours (for the second night in a row) and refused to eat. In addition to Abby not liking the breast texture, my wife is having difficulty producing enough milk for her. Even through pumping two breasts, she's unable to get enough to satisfy her.

After a long talk, we decided to supplement her breast milk with some formula, so that Abby could eat. Sarah had a lot of feelings of guilt after doing this, but I've tried to be as supportive as possible and I believe that she is feeling a bit of relief at being able to ensure that Abby is eating. As she is a small baby (6'7 at birth, but down to 5'11 yesterday), it's important that we feed her when she is hungry, and this makes things possible for our situation.

Last night, after giving the bottle with supplementing, Abby slept nearly the entire night (waking up twice to eat, but going back to sleep afterwards). We both were able to actually get some sleep last night, and my wife is a completely different person today, as she isn't battling the feeling of inadequacy that she was feeling previously.

If you guys want to continue breastfeeding, please know that it's completely normal for babies to start to refuse the breast during that first week of life. It makes no sense & it isn't something the lactation consultants warned me about, so I thought I was doing something wrong.

Just a couple of resources to get your baby back to breast:
http://www.breastfeedingalwaysbest.com/breast-refusal-on-day-3-4-or-5/

http://kellymom.com/bf/concerns/child/back-to-breast/#feedbaby

GoreJess
Aug 4, 2004

pretty in pink

Jastiger posted:

What should we do to get Olivia to take to a bottle (with mom's breast milke, no formula) better and more consistently? Its like the rubber nipple touches her lips and she HATES it.

We went thought the same battle when I went back to work. Archer took a bottle fine when he was tiny, but we stopped bottle feeding for awhile because I was having oversupply issues & skipping a feed or pumping just made it worse.

I went back to work when he was 10 weeks & it really just took a couple of weeks for him to adjust. He would fight the bottle & refuse to eat, but eventually he figured out that I wasn't going to be there to feed him & he needed to drink from the bottle. I would just keep trying, but don't force the bottle into his mouth if he won't take it. Just stop & try again in 30 minutes or so.

GoreJess
Aug 4, 2004

pretty in pink
Pumping & bottle-feeding is way more work than just nursing. Kudos to you for keeping it up & doing the best thing for both of you. You are not a failure.

And your baby is adorable. :3:

GoreJess
Aug 4, 2004

pretty in pink
Congratulations!!! That's a great picture :)

GoreJess
Aug 4, 2004

pretty in pink
Lullabee, I'm 5.5 months out & still losing tons of hair.

I figure it took 9 months to gain all this extra hair, it'll probably take that long to lose it all.

GoreJess
Aug 4, 2004

pretty in pink
Greycious, he's beautiful.

Feel free to complain all you want in the Facebook group about him nursing constantly. Those first few weeks are so rough & I think the only way to make it through is verification that it sucks that bad for everyone.

GoreJess
Aug 4, 2004

pretty in pink
You can request to join here: https://www.facebook.com/groups/SAMoms/

GoreJess
Aug 4, 2004

pretty in pink

Seven for a Secret posted:

Just went to my hospital's breastfeeding class and I was happily surprised to learn that it's hospital policy to put the naked newborn immediately on the mother's chest and leave it there, holding off on testing, bathing, etc. until it completes its first feeding (usually 60-80 minutes after birth). Has anybody already done this? Did the baby actually crawl towards the nipple and latch on? It seems kind of magical and unlikely.

My son had to go in the little warmer for a little bit (maybe 30 minutes?) because his color was really off. But once they placed him on my chest he really did start to root around & look for a nipple. It was really awesome & such a great moment for us.

GoreJess
Aug 4, 2004

pretty in pink
Sudont, I had a LEEP & a bunch of biopsies done too & dilated just fine all on my own. I actually had Archer 10 days early & didn't need any sort of labor assistance. So don't worry about it too much :)

GoreJess
Aug 4, 2004

pretty in pink

pixie delights posted:

That's how Max is when we attempt actual breastfeeding - either completely disinterested in the breast or actively fights it, depending on how awake he is. I hadn't heard about oatmeal. Does it have to be the breakfast cereal kind? I'm not a fan, but I may have to give it a go.

So far I've been pumping for about 15 minutes on each side, on the LC's recommendation. I was doing it about every 3 hours, but the last two days it's been more like every hour and a half as I try to keep up with Max's demands. I've been getting on average between 60cc and 120cc total each time I pump, though it's been a little bit less since I've started doing it more frequently.

The way this is phrased makes me think you're using a single-sided pump. If so, you'll get a lot more mileage out of a double electric pump.

Oatmeal & fenugreek are the proven milk boosters. Make sure you're staying hydrated too. The easiest way to do this is to just keep a water bottle with you at all times.

GoreJess
Aug 4, 2004

pretty in pink

pixie delights posted:

Thanks! :) Surprisingly, I've had a lot of people ask me if I made his name up.

I have the Medela PIS backpacks, but up until today I was only doing one side at a time. The link someone gave me to Kellymom gave me some instructions on DIY hands-free pumping methods and I was able to start doing both sides at once today, so that was incredibly helpful. I do the water bottle thing already, I'm one of those people that are always thirsty.

Thanks for the tips everyone. I have oatmeal on my shopping list, and I'll add fenugreek as well. Max is also grateful and says thanks with his cuteness! Here he is at 2 weeks old.

If you're going to be pumping regularly, do yourself a favor & get this: http://www.amazon.com/Simple-Wishes...+breastpump+bra

It will be your new best friend.

GoreJess
Aug 4, 2004

pretty in pink
I got hot & sweaty really fast during labor, so I was pretty much naked for a few hours. According to my husband, the room was freezing, but it felt like a sauna to me.

GoreJess
Aug 4, 2004

pretty in pink
Bjorns also tend to be uncomfortable for the parent too, because of how the weight is distributed.

Carriers where the baby's knees sit higher than their hips are more comfortable for both parties. Ergo is the most popular of these kinds of carriers & I really like the Boba I've been using this month.

GoreJess
Aug 4, 2004

pretty in pink

Lyz posted:

Chris loved facing out, he could get so much attention and smile at everyone and get fussed over. Bad for his hips but great for turning him into the little attention whore he is now.

Right now I have a side sling, it's very nice. I can just put it on, pop Emily in there, even nurse and walk at the same time if I have to. She doesn't seem to be a fan of the Boba, it squishes her too much it seems, and I'm not a fan because I never seem to get it on right and it takes a while to set up.

Do you have the Boba wrap? I've been using their soft structured carrier (borrowed from my local babywearing group!) & it's super easy to get on & off once you get the waist & arm straps adjusted. You just snap on the waist belt, pop in baby, pull up the arm straps & clip the chest/back clip. It takes maybe 30 seconds to get Archer in or out.

Speaking of which, finding a babywearing group in your area is the best way to try on a bunch of different carriers & find one that works for you and your baby. Start here: http://babywearinginternational.org/pages/chapters.php & then try Facebook & Meetup.

GoreJess fucked around with this message at 17:51 on Jul 6, 2013

GoreJess
Aug 4, 2004

pretty in pink
Congrats on the super cute baby!!!

And I can't let this go without saying something...I'm sure she wasn't transported in the car with the straps that loose, but just in case, they need to be way tighter.

GoreJess
Aug 4, 2004

pretty in pink

ghost story posted:

All car seats have to go through the same tests, so it's just a matter of finding something that you're comfortable with and will fit in your vehicle. The most important thing is installing it correctly.

This, a million times this. The newest, coolest seat won't do anything for your baby if they & the seat aren't secured properly. If you can, get the seat install inspected before baby gets here.

We also used the KeyFit & just upgraded to the NextFit for my 9 month old. Chances are your baby will outgrow the infant seat by height way before they reach the weight limit, if that helps you decide between seats. This site is also an excellent tool for reviews by people actually qualified to give them & not some random person on Amazon: http://carseatblog.com/carseatblogcoms-recommended-car-seats/

Go here to find a carseat inspection near you: http://www.safekids.org/car-seat-events

GoreJess
Aug 4, 2004

pretty in pink
Holy crap! What a story!

Glad everyone is doing okay & that baby is well enough for you to get some skin-to-skin time with him. :)

GoreJess
Aug 4, 2004

pretty in pink

Kegslayer posted:

So my wife is pregnant and we're deciding on choosing a hospital. It's our first child and we're not quite sure what to look for.

There's a small local hospital that provides just a midwife who will stay with you through the entire process but they don't have the equipment to handle complications or even the option for an epidural. On the other hand it's our first time and while most of my friends who have given birth had complications or needed a caesarean, going to a big crowded hospital and getting shuffled around by different doctors and nurses doesn't seem very appealing.

If there were complications, how long would it take to get to the hospital that could actually help you? That would be the deciding factor for me.

GoreJess
Aug 4, 2004

pretty in pink
I wasn't induced, but from reading everyone else's experiences over the years, there are different ways to start an induction.

Are you dilated at all? If not, the pitocin might not work very well. It seems like the ladies that start induction with a foley cath or cervidil insert tend to actually progress in labor. Jumping straight to pitocin if your body is showing no signs of being ready sounds like a great way to get a c-section.

GoreJess
Aug 4, 2004

pretty in pink
Since it's flu season, you just want to make sure anyone that holds the baby has thoroughly washed their hands & hasn't been sick recently. Don't feel like you can't leave the house. Isolation with a newborn is a bad bad thing.

GoreJess
Aug 4, 2004

pretty in pink

New Weave Wendy posted:

Get a hold of a thermometer too... That would be something you'll want to have on hand if you have a sick baby and need it.

This. Get a good rectal thermometer & some infant Tylenol. Because your baby will get their first fever at 10pm on a Sunday night & the last thing you want to do at that point is drive to the closest 24 hour pharmacy.

GoreJess
Aug 4, 2004

pretty in pink

Extinct posted:

Hi thread. So I'm almost 37 weeks and found out I'm GBS+. I'm also allergic to penicillin-based antibiotics (something I discovered the hard way earlier in this pregnancy). I know there are effective alternative meds and I fully plan to get the iv during labor but now I'm stressing a bit about the whole thing. Especially after reading that story about the guy losing his infant son to GBS infection within a few hours of birth.

I guess it's just extra worrisome since other than that everything has gone smoothly so far. :(

I have a penicillin allergy too & they just gave me a different antibiotic once I got to the hospital. My IV finished minutes before I was ready to start pushing & everything turned out just fine. So don't worry! There are plenty of other meds they can give you.

GoreJess
Aug 4, 2004

pretty in pink

sudont posted:

I hope this feeling lets up a bit because even dumb stuff sets it off and bothers me. I had BBC America on last night and there's this dumb show Atlantis on in the background and it was about a foundling baby and I had to change the channel, the idea of someone abandoning their newborn was too much for me!

Archer just had his 1st birthday & I'm still turned into a sobbing mess when fictional characters lose their babies or mothers. Not even real people. Just the thought of children having to grow up without their mom destroys me.

GoreJess
Aug 4, 2004

pretty in pink
Is there a reason why they're just jumping to schedule you for a c-section?

GoreJess
Aug 4, 2004

pretty in pink
What happens if you go past your due date & only have a week or less to recover? Everyone is different, but childbirth is tough on your body & those first few weeks are a blur of sleepless nights & endless feeds. If this is really demanding coursework you probably won't be up for it. Your mind is not going to be working at 100%.

GoreJess
Aug 4, 2004

pretty in pink
As others have said, the biggest issue with your wife moving to the US & starting a new job while pregnant is that she won't be covered by FMLA. So she could go on maternity leave, have zero pay & her company could legally fire her & hire someone to replace her.

Now, it sounds like they really want her, so this might not happen, but it's a very likely possibility. Do you really want to uproot both of your lives for a job that might last 8 months?

Not to mention, she couldn't even get short term disability coverage now because she's already pregnant.

GoreJess
Aug 4, 2004

pretty in pink

lol internet. posted:

She needs to get accepted in the company in the US. I'm\we're not so worried about getting paid leave off or anything as I will be able to support her with my job in Canada in the meantime.

Hold on a second here, is the plan for you to stay in Canada & her to move to the US by herself? Please tell me you guys aren't planning to be separated like that during her pregnancy & possibly birth.

GoreJess
Aug 4, 2004

pretty in pink
Try & go over to help her clean now, before the baby gets here. I went early & came home to a wrecked house because I was too exhausted from being huge & working to do anything but the bare minimum. I would have loved it if someone had come over & vacuumed & mopped for me.

GoreJess
Aug 4, 2004

pretty in pink
It'll probably get worse. I would start crying for no discernible reason at all. And the crying continues once the baby is here, because hormones are still going crazy & you're sleep deprived.

GoreJess
Aug 4, 2004

pretty in pink
We went with an in home daycare, because our neighbor is the daycare provider. She's watched tons of kids from our neighborhood & they all stayed with her for years.

Most in home daycares are less expensive than daycare centers & are way less expensive than a nanny. They do a little bit of working on shapes, letters, colors, but it's mostly just keeping the kids alive & fed. I'm fine with that for now, but will probably move my son into a preschool when he turns 4.

Biggest downside to an in home daycare, is finding backup care or burning up vacation days when she or her kids are sick & the 2 weeks of vacation she gets a year. I'm thankful to have found a pretty reliable backup, but that's hard to come by.

GoreJess
Aug 4, 2004

pretty in pink
No, you have every right to be outraged at the level of care she's receiving.

I had to go back into the hospital when my son was 3 weeks old because I was passing clots the size of my fist if I tried to do anything besides just sit in the glider & nurse. Everyone was fantastic, from the nurses to the doctors. After being transferred upstairs from the ER, they put me in a giant room with space for my mom & husband to comfortably keep me company. The nurse brought me a pump & made sure I stayed hydrated so my supply wouldn't dip.

So in short, if there is another option I would take it.

GoreJess
Aug 4, 2004

pretty in pink

eselbaum posted:

We're going back to work when she's 12 weeks, so we still have some time to figure it out, but it's not going too well so far! :(

Just keep trying & she will probably figure out that bottles are okay. My son never really took to the bottle, but drank enough at daycare to stay satisfied. Then he ate the bulk of his calories at night.

GoreJess
Aug 4, 2004

pretty in pink
The only thing I wish we had saved for money for was my maternity leave. I basically didn't get paid while I was out (used my 2 weeks of paid vacation & then got $100/week). Thankfully our son was born in December & we were able to get our tax return in early February, which allowed me to be out for 10 weeks. But it was really tight at the end & I wish I'd been able to take the 2 more weeks available to me, but we needed my paycheck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GoreJess
Aug 4, 2004

pretty in pink
I have a penicillin allergy & they gave me something else for my GBS, but hell if I know what it was.

Anecdotally, I did not have my typical post-antibiotic gut issues or yeast infection after the IV antibiotics. So the probiotics certainly aren't going to hurt, but don't stress if you don't have them.