Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Radio Paranoia
Jun 27, 2010

It is now safe to turn off your computer.
The aggrotech scene has been quite weak last year. All releases from "major" aggrotech artists were pretty bland. The new Combichrist was awful, the new Nachtmar was blah and right now I'm a little worried about the new Aesthetic Perfection.

I have been really blown away by Heimataerde though, especially the Dark Dance EP. It's a great little 6-tracker with three very different takes on the title track!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aGj0Q9UztnI

I guess I should also drop a plug for my girlfriend's band, Axxon. It started out as a one-man project in 2007ish and I did a brief stint of backup vocals for the first two live shows in 2009. Since then, they recruited a new second vocalist and my girlfriend does the guitars.

They play EBM/industrial with lots of focus on the guitars and plenty of nods to old-school EBM like Front 242 but with plenty of shades of Psyclon Nine and FLA.

They're pretty much the only band like this here in Cape Town and they do a drat good job of it! (The first pure-electro release is up for free on last.fm and they're working on a new album with the new lineup right now).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Radio Paranoia
Jun 27, 2010

CAT rear end now!!! posted:

And finally, Finland's own pride Turmion Kätilöt. One of the most vicious, destructive bands in the whole drat business, made tongue in cheek and with a fiery passion for awesome music. Think Rammstein, add in even more grotesque lyrics (in Finnish) and violent brutality and you have TK. Band is absolutely amazing live.

Agreed! I heard them purely by chance a few years back when a friend from Finland was sending me some bands and Turmion beat me over the head before setting fire to my house and drinking all my beer. Their first two albums are absolutely brilliant, though I felt they lost the plot with U.S.C.H a bit. I'm interested to hear their newest album though.

I would LOVE to see them live! Curse being on the arse-end of the world.

Radio Paranoia
Jun 27, 2010

teethgrinder posted:

How do you 'know' he's a douche? I know he comes across as cocky, but he's young and ridiculously good at what he does ... I give him some leeway.

Well there was this.

Anders Hagström posted:

I feel that after five years with them without any real progress it wouldn't be fair to ourselves or to the fans to allow them [Out of Line] to continue their mismanagement of our music.
Expecting instant success, which, for all intents and purposes, they had. They just aren't Depeche Mode or VNV Nation yet after a lowly 5 years.

Anders Hagström posted:

[Ashbury Heights was] never meant to be a niche act, circumstances outside of our control made us sign with a niche label however and in hindsight it was probably not a good idea.

Anders Hagström posted:

It is quite clear that there is no future for us within the confines of the obscure Germanic sub-genre that we've been a part of since our conception. After five years of hard work we're still not selling any records and during that time we've had less than 20 paying gigs.
Once again, it's apparently Out of Line's fault.

And then Kari Berg upped and left because she didn't want to be part of the drama-party.

Very douche-like behaviour, unfortunately. Which sucks, because I really enjoy Ashbury Heights. :(

Radio Paranoia
Jun 27, 2010

Now you've got be on a jealousy-induced Laibach kick. I hope you're happy. :colbert:

Radio Paranoia
Jun 27, 2010

Zyklon B Zombie posted:

Since I keep seeing this band pop up, you guys might like Red Harvest if you haven't heard them. They're one of the few metal bands that I've seen that can actually pull off industrial style synths.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bZt0JWmieH0

I've always been meaning to check these guys out, but that track was rather underwhelming. The intro parts sounded like Aphex Twin and the "industrial" sound gave way to symphonic elements, which really bugged me.

Kind of the same thing that happened with Blazing War Machine.

Radio Paranoia fucked around with this message at 15:54 on Mar 14, 2011

Radio Paranoia
Jun 27, 2010

Defect Mechanism posted:

Even the 2 Times Terror (MC Rakka Pee's Side Project aka "TK2.0") gave me so much hope as to how the new album would sound.

This is great! Thanks for pointing them out.

A rather underrated Terror EBM band that I'm enjoying lately is Die Sektor.

To Be Fed Upon is a really great, solid album, and their latest release Applied Structure in a Void is pretty cool too. It's got a lot of atmosphere that Combichrist soundalikes just lack completely.

The new one has a bit of psytrance influence which I'm still getting acquainted with though.

"Deathkill"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oStkVV-5Xak

Radio Paranoia
Jun 27, 2010

Aren't Dawn of Ashes a melodeath band now?

Radio Paranoia
Jun 27, 2010

That's why I was right in the front when they came to Cape Town. Not as close as my buddy who was on the railing and right by the one pyro setup, but definitely able to see everything.

We get fuckall here in South Africa, but from my limited experience it was THE best live show I've ever experienced (U2 a few weeks later and people were phoning radio stations to say Rammstein blew them out the water). The sheer energy and charisma on stage was phenomenal!

I hope the rumours are true and they're coming back to SA next year!

Radio Paranoia
Jun 27, 2010

Pope Guilty posted:

TBM mix guitars and synths and that's usually a pretty direct route to my heart.

Then keep an eye on my girlfriend's band, Axxon. I know I've plugged them in the thread earlier, but they've got some new tracks coming soon which are really great. It's TBM meets old-school industrial with guitars. Once they get around to releasing some of the new material I'll definitely post an update.

Photos from their performance at Ramfest V earlier this year. They played on the metal stage, but blew a lot of people away!

Radio Paranoia
Jun 27, 2010

Jeez, I haven't posted here for ages! :siren:MY GIRLFRIEND:siren:'s band, Axxon, have finally released their first single, "Bite Your Tongue" for free download. She's also a goon, but doesn't post much around these parts.

It's a maxi single with a couple of remixes, a creepy ambient track and a cover of Depeche Mode's "Dangerous". It's EBM / Industrial metal and pretty much the only band in the country that sounds like this.

So yeah, free music for your earholes! :toot:

Radio Paranoia
Jun 27, 2010

I used to like Nachtmahr. Well, that first album was great. But I think he's just gone way off the deep end now.

I wonder if the whole "With us or against us" posturing is a response to the Adversary guys?

(You KNOW people are going to buy that book. :smith:)

Radio Paranoia
Jun 27, 2010

CAT rear end now!!! posted:

Snippets from the AirMech soundtrack by FLA

Finally. This poo poo is sounding loving great.

I listened to them earlier and I really like it. It's got that same blend of electronics and orchestration that Daft Punk's Tron soundtrack had!

Radio Paranoia
Jun 27, 2010

Twiin posted:

Outkast vs Ministry

This would be magical. Do you have a screencap of that Trent Reznor post by any chance?

Radio Paranoia
Jun 27, 2010

Run Dodo Run posted:

e: Prodigy are #6 on the most requested list? I always assumed they'd get looked down on for being too poppy and mainstream. http://alt-fest.com/index.php/line-ups/main-stage-vote

I would say Prodigy were instrumental in spawning the whole dark electro movement - most of the people I know into industrial etc. are Prodigy fans. Sure it's poppy and mainstream, but there was always that undercurrent of dirt beneath everything.

Plus their live show is phenomenal - I saw them in December last year and have never been more afraid of a crowd in my life.

Radio Paranoia
Jun 27, 2010

As somebody who has most of KMFDM's discography up until WWIII, I'm not that thrilled about the new album. It's KMFDM, yes, but half of it sounds completely recycled or b-sides from previous albums. They really should call it a day and do some more MDFMK, or at least anything with Skold involved.

Radio Paranoia
Jun 27, 2010

Danger - Octopus! posted:

I find pretty much everything Wumpscut have released since about 1997 to be pretty terrible and only like a few tracks from before that, so yeah.

This is a pretty accurate analysis. I think the last good one was Wreath of Barbs and that already had a bunch of filler crap on it.

Radio Paranoia
Jun 27, 2010

Armor-Piercing posted:

Can I get some recommendations of (good) bands with female vocalists? At the moment I think I've only got The Birthday Massacre and Chiasm, not counting bands with occasional/backup female vocalists like Blutengel. I'm not looking for any particular subgenre at the moment, though I generally favor poppy stuff

Check out Unter Null perhaps? It's probably a little harsher than what you're looking for, but it's still worth a shot for female fronted industrial.

Radio Paranoia
Jun 27, 2010

Danger - Octopus! posted:

Wait, Combichrist did the soundtrack to the new DMC game? What the gently caress?!

Yeah, they did. My buddy who absolutely HATES Combichrist said it was actually pretty good, so there's that.

Radio Paranoia
Jun 27, 2010

DeusExMachinima posted:

So... opinions on Faderhead? Haven't heard much out of him recently except Fistful of gently caress You, which was alright.

Brainless club music, but the music video for that track was amazing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ajlCLQqhiOg

Radio Paranoia
Jun 27, 2010

Sloppy posted:

A track from the new Aesthetic Perfection album is out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x3ha-Obl2-g

It's not bad I guess, but it sure is weak compared to what he used to do :(

As somebody who was pretty much introduced to harsh electro with AP's "A Violent Emotion", I would not believe that this is from the same band. It actually sounds a lot closer to Graves' Necessary Response stuff, which was also really good. Hell, just do a new NR album instead of this.

Radio Paranoia
Jun 27, 2010

spider_ross.avi posted:

This guy (Author And Punisher) released a new album, "Women And Children", earlier this month. I had a chance to hear it over the weekend. It is really well done and you should all check it out.

e: http://authorandpunisher.bandcamp.com/

There's a full album stream over on metal blog Invisible Oranges. I've only been able to stream it at work, which means plenty of distraction, but it sounds solid and dense just like its precursor.

Radio Paranoia
Jun 27, 2010

Halloween Jack posted:

So as long as we're playing "What's that oontz oontz thing called," is there a term for the kind of "harsh EBM" lyrics where the singer sounds like he's already blown his voice out screaming all night, and also like he's about to throw up? Like this. And can it stop? Ever?

It's called bad technique. Poor vocal style is usually so drenched in effects and pitch-shifting (Suicide Commando et al) that it's not noticeable, but the sound in this song is usually what's hiding under all the filters.

Radio Paranoia
Jun 27, 2010

The Cleaner posted:

Was just thinking they should do a tour with Imperative Reaction. Wouldn't surprise me if they already have.

As far as I know, the band name "Necessary Response" is because Daniel Graves was part of IR's touring lineup a few years ago.

Don't know if the two groups ever actually toured "together" though.

Radio Paranoia
Jun 27, 2010

Don't you dare! At least back in the 90s, KMFDM has some semblance of self-awareness.

Radio Paranoia
Jun 27, 2010

Halloween Jack posted:

I don't think he's going in a new direction, though! People complaining about how they miss his "old sound" don't make sense to me, nor do people defending the changes he's supposedly making. "Antibody" doesn't sound stylistically different to me from anything else, he's done, it's just a surprisingly weak song. I'm baffled as to why he decided to release it as a single, but I don't expect it to signal any kind of sea change going forward; I heard "Dead Ringer" from the new album and I liked it.

As somebody who pretty much discovered harsh electro through A Violent Emotion I've found all of the later Aesthetic Perfection stuff ridiculously week. Not only has he shredded his voice through bad screaming technique (sure, it ripped on the album, but he can't do it anymore so what's the use?) but none of the aggression and oppressive atmosphere is there in the new stuff - incidentally, I really like Necessary Response too and the majority of the new AP stuff would be far more at home on a new NR album.

His response to criticism is hilarious. Yes, I realise that it's his project which he puts his heart and soul into, but then explain that calmly and eloquently instead of trying to prove to everybody how far beyond criticism you are because you are an artiste!

Radio Paranoia
Jun 27, 2010

looking.glass.eyes posted:

'Resistance is Futile' is fantastic, new VNV is...acceptable, and new Gary Numan is blowing me away. Is anyone else digging 'Splinter' like I am? 2013, why are you such an amazing year for music?

Splinter is great, but then again I'm a massive fan of Numan's recent work. I will say that the gothy ballads are lost on me a little bit because they meander quite a bit, but the opening tracks are phenomenal!

2013 has been an incredible year for music and there are still a few releases on the horizon that I'm still hyped for!

Radio Paranoia
Jun 27, 2010

John Magnum posted:

Way back in the OP: The description of electro-industrial as taking metal and adding a dance beat is super evocative to me. Haven't really heard any, but I do listen to a bunch of death metal. Is there any electro-industrial that really plays up the metal aspects of it? Guitar riffs, maybe interspersing blastbeats with the dance backbone, maybe harsh vocals. Very heavy, or very fast. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciation.

You might like the Finnish outfit Turmion Kätilöt, their album Pirun Nyrkki is pretty drat metal.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nrFSupNT7rA

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Radio Paranoia
Jun 27, 2010

DeusExMachinima posted:

I don't even know anymore, Mr. LaPlegua. :catstare: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nck4FkKeJ0E NSFW

That facial hair isn't doing him any favours.