Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
Think about how gross looking up and just seeing... smog in those stations would be.

To the poster who posted about emissions - I guarantee that clean burning modern diesels are orders of magnitude better for the environment than steam powered locos. Think about the incredible quantities of mercury and other toxic metals which are released by coal-burning power plants, even with emissions control devices.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

because the most important thing about a locomotive is how it looks

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

I fly like 100-140 segments a year and while airport security is annoying, I have never managed to experience one of these multihour horror stories. Wonder what I'm doing right?

HSR would be tight. I'd like to be able to take the train to DC rather than fly from central NC.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Please tell me more about the Atmospheric Railway. It sounds excellent.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Rude Dude With Tude posted:

This led me to the discovery of some classic Nazi insanity https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Breitspurbahn

think about the amount of time/distance it would take to stop that bitch from 120 mph

or get it going up to 120 mph, even

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

That was a very cool post, thanks. Any more information that you can share is appreciated!

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

I am curious why water-tube boilers did not work on locomotives whereas they were absolute standard for ship power units. Any insight on that one?

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Kilonum posted:

A steam locomotive that uses electricity to boil water

Surely someone's tried the nuclear steam locomotive.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

sincx posted:

That's called an electric locomotive powered by a nuclear power plant.

where's the fuckin fun in that

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Can confirm that the service standard for intermodal is somewhere between nonexistent and lol

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Disgruntled Bovine posted:

Yeah, and how did that turn out for the disgruntled workers?

better but still not very good

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

1 is super weird to me because in JIT logistics with short lead times you almost always use trucks due to low volumes and high response time requirements - why the desire to use trains?

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

iospace posted:

My guess is that they wanted the train version of it. Could get more units in one go to get more cars off the floor at the same time.

The other thought is they wanted to move away from JIT into more traditional car making so they could have inventory to distribute to those who don't want to extensively customize. There are reports that they're moving to a traditional dealer model.

none of this makes sense

the line moves at a metered rate so having more units in one go just means a bigger pile of inventory. the ideal is for your components to flow to the line at the rate that you produce cars in the correct sequence, and you can't just magically speed up the line.

everyone uses JIT for auto manufacturing with a buffer facility that handles sequencing and metering because you can't actually get to the ideal flow rate from a transportation and component manufacturing perspective. sequencing and metering sites run best at low inventory levels and are inherently waste. unless they want to pile up a ton of inventory at their sequencing/metering facility for no advantage, which is actually a fairly Tesla thing to do.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

this is one of those situations where there are already a bunch of companies that make this exact thing so why do they not just buy it

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

it's not like there are major innovations in car carriers that are just waiting for Elon's intrepid dweebs to uncover

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Hands up if ou saw that coming.

Wow thats a lot of hands

saw it coming still loved it

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Nebakenezzer posted:

Hi, train friends

This is a airplane/train thread MIXED MODE double post. Can anybody explain what the hell is going on with bombardier? Were they not good at making trains? Are they now bad at trains? The company has sold its entire aviation holdings (C300/A220 partnership with Airbus, CRJ sold to Mitsubishi, all legacy designs like the Dash 8/Q400 sold to a BC aviation firm), with the only exception being its bizjets. And now they appear to be dying/dead everywhere else.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2020-01-21/bombardier-is-said-to-explore-combining-rail-unit-with-alstom

well the CRJ and dash-8 line sales make sense. the market pretty well dried up for both and it was transitioning entirely to aftersales support. bombardier also needed cash at the time.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Mortabis posted:

I don't see anything inefficient about shipping railroad-related stuff by some method other than rail. I bet the reason BR didn't do it that way was because it could get the rail capacity for "free" due to bad cost accounting.

in my experience costing for other industries, rail is cheaper for high volume and high weight shipments but requires the following
1) you have good access to rail at each end point
2) you absolutely do not give a gently caress about the timing of the shipment

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

he did get pretty far i'm impressed

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

dang that's a beauty, post more pictures if you got em!

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

I love the combination of ridiculously high tech (punch tape! electrohydraulic external speed controls! giant electromagnets!) with the fact that dudes are still hand humping poo poo in to box cars and no one has yet figured out that having some kind of standard for material handling and doing sideloading might be clever.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

don't see too many box cars out there these days though

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Tree Bucket posted:

I have the nerdiest possible question for the thread:
Can anyone recommend a railway-based board game? I want to worry about logistics, coal supplies and gauge mis-matches.
(Also excellent post BalloonFish.)

I assume 18XX series is a bit too financially focused for you but if you haven't checked that out you should.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

first guess is they ran triples (3 layers of cars) on a route that was only OK for doubles (2 layers of cars)

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

vains posted:

multilevel autoracks are the same height.

weird, i didn't know this but it totally makes sense

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

the front fell off

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

hey someone licensed the Rule the Waves purchase engine from frederiek

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

JohnCompany posted:

I mean at least the train will be a prettier place in which to still go 30mph through northern Connecticut.

It’s southern CT!

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

smackfu posted:

I travel the New Haven to New York Penn route fairly regularly and I don’t really see any difference in business class between Acela and Northeast Regional. Acela is a few minutes faster and usually more expensive.

(Usually I just travel coach since it’s half the cost and not very crowded.)

HSR journeys of like 80 miles don't have that many advantages. Even in a fairly optimal scenario you only save like 10-12 minutes; your time and distance at speed is low.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

NightGyr posted:

Acela isn't even that fast, most of their speed advantage comes from skipping even more stops than the regional.

also in southern CT is limited to the same speeds as NER mainly, v nice. Acela has like two sections with 150 mph speed limits in Mass/RI and that's it.

But like take an 80 mile journey, same route with just two stops; even hypothetically at 150 miles/hour (acela top speed) you cover it in 32 minutes assuming instant acceleration to top speed. At 100 miles an hour you cover it in 48 minutes. Take in to account some time losses for acceleration / deceleration and you're spending a lot of effort and money to go significantly faster in % terms but not all that much faster in real time savings. It really only starts to add up over longer journeys that have a limited number of stops.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

GlassEye-Boy posted:

Yikes, how is this allowed? Remind me never to ship anything by rail rail again in the US. Although shipping by truck is probably still more risky, so what do I know.

the content of your post indicates that you aren't in the logistics industry so like it aint really up to you in that case

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

the NER is the cheap one

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

You bought a ticket two days before, that’s always going to be more expensive here.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Jonny Nox posted:

TT is now TTX and owns a poo poo-ton of the actual cars the now carry freight, especially intermodal wells?

Does it work like in the Airline industry where the rail companies run and maintain the cars like they were their own but TTX takes care of the risk and the leasing?

TTX is a weird federally permitted monopoly for railcar pooling that's owned directly by the railroads. TTX owns and maintains all its own assets on behalf of its owners. They actually have their own repair shops that do a lot of the work. The cars are TTX branded (or railbox or railgon, the two subsidiaries).

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

They definitely could be, but that's still a different business model - TTX is effectively a cost center for its owners and a mechanism to hold assets and utilize them more efficiently. That's different from a leasing company that intends to make a profit off of leasing and servicing assets.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

If the pooling agreement hadn't been arranged, it's definitely possible that there would have been a concentrated third party lessor and I think you're probably right that it would have ended up that way.

Got me to thinking - how do hopper cars work?

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

That doesn’t seem too crazy expensive. You’re paying a bit of a premium for the experience, of course.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Optimization isn’t fun even if the result are good.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

god drat sometimes the future rules

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

hailthefish posted:

designed for max dudes, you can't look out the window, only at your surrounding passengers, no room for any amenities like tray tables, also yeah, it looks like a military aircraft lol

it's designed like the interior of a subway car but (correct me if I'm wrong) it's going to be operating on a like 800+ mile route

It's not though, those chairs are quite wide and have pretty wide spacing between centers, and are typically used in a paired seating arrangement perpendicular to the direction of travel. If you were really trying to cram people in, you would use seats that were actually like the seats they use in subway cars. It's just an utterly bizarre design choice.