Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

ExplodingSims posted:

And then there's Tegachapi Loop. Something that I never knew existed outside of model rail roads. They track loops over itself. Leading to trains crossing over themselves. Wierd

We have something like this in Canada. Except we do it in a mountain, twice.

Here's good explanation of them.
http://www.pc.gc.ca/pn-np/bc/yoho/natcul/natcul12.aspx

Skip to about a minute in if you want to see the action.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gEe9d69NpyM

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

There are two sets of images there right? I mean on the first ones, there are brakes on the actual flange, but the bottom two with that kick-rear end spare tire have a big brake disk on the axle in the middle.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

I keep forgetting to upload these.

I took an excursion on the CPR back in 2007, on restored Hudson 2816

Watching it pull into Okotoks was loving incredible. Almost silent.

This fellow was waiting for us to clear the track.

We got out near Lethbridge (we didn't go over the bridge there :( )so they could water and turn around on the wye.

Love this machine.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

The fans on top are for the engine radiators and dynamic brakes, aren't they?

I thought the traction motor cooling fans were just gigantic squirrel cages mounted right on the bogie, presumably blasting out the bottom or side or something.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

When I took a ride on CP 2816 from Calgary to Lethbridge, we were hoping we were going to go over the bridge to take pictures.

Instead we stopped in Coalhurst, just outside town. :smith:

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

They wouldn't hurt coal-crushing jaws but they'd make for some pretty unpleasant clinker wherever this stuff is getting burnt.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

That's quite the collection of horsepower there.

Repair yard or something?

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

That video is sexy as hell.

Yeah, shame about the smoke and soot these beautiful machines used to dump into the air.

I guess it's just smoke and soot though. Has anyone ever done a serious comparison of the emissions of external and internal combustion locomotives per loaded kilometer or anything like that?

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Think about how gross looking up and just seeing... smog in those stations would be.

To the poster who posted about emissions - I guarantee that clean burning modern diesels are orders of magnitude better for the environment than steam powered locos. Think about the incredible quantities of mercury and other toxic metals which are released by coal-burning power plants, even with emissions control devices.

Yeah, absolutely true.

How about the oil burners and diesel burners that were used later on?

Oh, and believe me, I know they're not efficient in the slightest.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

Man those are lovely pictures.

Seems so much more logical than giant tracked beasts.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

InterceptorV8 posted:

I have a question for you butt-nuts.

I've been seeing this for awhile and I don't know what it is really, or more like what they are doing. Two engines (mostly it's a UP up front and a SP behind) and only two cars. Hauling loving rear end. 99% of the time it's oil cans, but I've seen two like belly dump highwalls before. No idea what the gently caress they are doing but it's Nevada and I see them between Locklock and Fernley with this. Are they refueling something, but it doesn't explain why they are winding the train out.

Two engines, two cars, hauling rear end.

Just going for a moonlight drive man.

I know if I worked for the RR, and could get away with it, I would totally do that.

Or maybe they're just hauling one of the locos to a shop for maintenance and they didn't want to wait for a full train to make the trip.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

gently caress, did they do that on purpose to demolish it? The camera guy seemed awfully pleased.

Or was it just your run of the mill "bearing making GBS threads out liquid metal" problem that just happened to occur over a gigantic wooden trestle?

Seriously how did that even still exist? I thought most major RRs got rid of their wooden trestles decades ago.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

9axle posted:

No sinkhole. Guy got by a red.

What, like a Commie or something?

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

Brother Jonathan posted:

Because you don't remember what they are?

:golfclap:

The pictures the Cbc has been putting on their webpage are pretty horrific. Still forty people "missing".

E: Cbc is reporting that the police are talking about prosecuting the engineer now. Company is already saying he'll probably never work for them again.

Queue up in the line to throw the guy under the bus I guess.

Slung Blade fucked around with this message at 22:47 on Jul 10, 2013

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

Shays are so cool. There's one at Fort Steele in BC, I used to ride a car it pulled all the time when I was a kid, but it's been broken / undergoing repairs for years :(

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

Tex Avery posted:

I've never understood why people get so upset

That's pretty much why. Irrational obsession is a hell of a thing.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

Whoa wait a minute, they used jb weld to fix a cam bearing on one of the locomotives???

Please tell me that's not a typical repair.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

bytebark posted:

The latest "train asplodes" [turbocharger, specifically] clip to be making the rounds: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u8RvoppZT0Y&feature=youtu.be. Bonus foamer chatter in the background.

CN, of course it is. Unfortunate, but pretty funny.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

B4Ctom1 posted:

One man crews?

Here is the railcar version of that logic

Saudi teenagers have really stepped up their game.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

Correct.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

Dick Trauma posted:

Through a strange series of events the company I work for has come to own a short-line railroad. :toot:

Is it a real estate investment concern represented by an old boot, small terrier, old fashioned iron, thimble, or a boat?

Also, awesome. Can you get some pictures or a map or something? I love short lines.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

Pigsfeet on Rye posted:

Question on rail weight: It looks like 141lb is the heaviest rail now made, and PRR once produced 155lb rail. If heavier rail implies heavier freight and faster freight, why not go heavier? Is it an economic thing of rail cost vs benefits, or benefits vs installation / maintenance, or weight vs strength, or just manufacturability?

I'm betting that improvements in steel metallurgy allows 141 pound rail from today to be as good or better than 155 pound from however many years ago.

Plus the savings in not having to deal with rail that heavy. So yeah, economic thing.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

Historic level flooding? Or was construction cheaping out on culvert sizing? :v:

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

Cat Terrist posted:

300mm in a day, rivers gaining meters of height in minutes..... I'm surprised any rail existed afterwards.

That's actually really impressive then. Those railbeds and berms look surprisingly good given that much rain.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

No Pun Intended posted:

I didn't realise america had utilised modern steam

Canada. We're high tech for twenty years ago!

That's a Canadian National unit.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

B4Ctom1 posted:

Check out picture 28. This link is supposed to go to it, but it might not. You might have to scroll.
http://www.theatlantic.com/photo/2016/04/the-great-san-francisco-earthquake-110-years-ago/477750/#img28

Those are all great images. #27 is pretty hilarious though.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

rocket_350 posted:

Enclosed ferries were used for cross lake routes. This is the Marquette and Bessemer no. 2. Note the lack of a stern gate. This was probably a liability when they sailed out into a gale on Lake Erie in 1909 and disappeared. A bunch of debris and lifeboat full of frozen dudes turned up but the ship is still missing. There are probably thirty rail cars still on the wreck.

I heard that was the second runner up when Gordon Lightfoot was looking for a song idea.

Poor bastards.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

Man you can hear that thing coming from a long ways away.

Also that whistle :allears:

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

kastein posted:

There are a couple locomotives rotting into the ground on an abandoned track deep in the woods of Maine, too. http://www.maine.gov/dacf/parks/discover_history_explore_nature/history/allagash/index.shtml

Man that is super cool. Nice that there are some guys out there who wanted to save them from falling over too, that's awesome.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

I mean, that would have been cool if I lived there for awhile.

Probably got old fast though. I wonder when they took out the rails.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

Fornax Disaster posted:

This derailment happened in Hamilton, Ontario in 1953, close to the centre of the city. There's a mural of this image on a building near where it happened.

Holy gently caress I would not be standing that close to a still hot train boiler :stare: