Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

St. Blaize
Oct 11, 2007

Kakesu posted:

My fiancee wants to get a new phone. We have a family plan with three lines on it (mine, hers, and her mother's). Somehow, when we added her mother's line, something got messed up in Sprint's system, and it changed the "primary line" on our account to her mother's line. That line became eligible for an upgrade under the old Sprint Premier system in October.

I called Sprint about changing the "primary line" back to being my fiancee's line to get her an early upgrade, and they said that they can do it, but it won't take effect until the next billing cycle, which for us would be April 6. The problem that I'm just now noticing is that when the Premier system changes on April 1, we won't be eligible for Premier Gold, since our base plan is only $149.98/mo. Are we going to lose the upgrade eligibility on that line on April 1? Do we need to do an upgrade on her mother's line now, and then ESN swap or whatever to activate the phone on my fiancee's line?

She wants the HTC Arrive, if this matters at all.

I too am wondering how the new premier changes will affect my current upgrade date, currently it is July 1st, am I gonna have to wait another year?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

St. Blaize
Oct 11, 2007

poxin posted:

Yeah this has been happening to me lately. Unfortunately a reboot doesn't fix it on my device. I've even tried removing the accounts and adding them again, no luck with that either.

I fixed this by unchecking "auto-sync", rebooting, then rechecking it.

St. Blaize
Oct 11, 2007
So is there something that I missed about the Evo LTE that is causing everyone to run out for the Nexus instead of waiting?

The negatives I can think of are based on preference really.

St. Blaize
Oct 11, 2007
Anyone waffling on trying out the ICS based ROMs for the E3D, give them a try, phenomenal. They run better than anything I've tried so far.

St. Blaize
Oct 11, 2007

IOwnCalculus posted:

Only if you flash the Virgin Mobile firmware, which may not even be necessary.

I'm using clean rom and no firmware flash is necessary.

St. Blaize
Oct 11, 2007
Any chance that Radio Shack will be offering a trade in credit for the Evo LTE like they did for the 3d?

St. Blaize
Oct 11, 2007
So what is going to be the best deal for getting the Evo LTE? Are there any good trade in values if coming from the Evo 3d, or is selling it after the upgrade my best bet?

I only ask because I got 175 for my OG Evo when upgrading to the 3d

St. Blaize
Oct 11, 2007

900ftjesus posted:

Don't worry, a ton of poo poo ROMs with bad fonts and worse colors will pop up soon.

If you want ROM support take it back and get the Nexus before you're stuck with that thing for good.

There are already developers for the better ROMs working on the EVO LTE, including a working CM9 ROM. Sure the poo poo ROMs will be there soon but that's going to be true for every Android phone. The ROM support for the EVO LTE is actually quite amazing for how long it's been out and it will only get better. Can you honestly tell me there are no poo poo ROMs for the Nexus?

St. Blaize
Oct 11, 2007

Deathlove posted:

I've been trying to get my 3D back to 1.4 for a few hours now, and I just can't get the brick to happen.

The guide at http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1547695 says to pull the plug after five seconds on Bootloader. I get MAYBE two seconds before it jumps to the next step. Is this right? Should it be taking longer? Do I just need to pull the plug during that quick time? I've tried, but nothing seems to take.

When I did it I tried for a long time and couldn't get it to brick. I stopped for a couple days and gave it another shot, got it immediately. It ended up being more like 3 seconds for me, I didn't count when I did get it though, just watched the screen.

St. Blaize
Oct 11, 2007

Duckman2008 posted:

Yeah, except that no one outside of these forums even knows what a nexus phone is :(

Not to be an rear end but most people don't give a poo poo since their phones do exactly what they want and do it well for the most part. It's all about what bothers you. For example, when I compared the Galaxy Nexus to the Evo LTE, I honestly thought, and still think, that the Evo LTE is a far superior phone. It boggles my mind that people in this thread still recommend the Galaxy Nexus over the Evo LTE.

St. Blaize
Oct 11, 2007

Cmdr. Shepard posted:

Multi-tasking / Sense kills the EVO for me. I know it's to each his own, but to me there is no choice at all when faced with vanilla Android versus a custom interface like Sense.

Neither of those issues are going to bother someone who just wanders into this thread for a recommendation though. Really if you don't know have a view on Sense already or know about the multitasking issue then neither is going to matter to you. I know about the issue and see it in action but it still doesn't bother me. Earlier it was recommended to someone that they either get the Nexus or iphone instead of the Evo LTE because of the multitasking issue and I understand the Nexus recommendation if the multitasking issue really bothers you but the iphone does the exact same thing when it comes to multitasking.

St. Blaize
Oct 11, 2007

Lowen SoDium posted:

You have 2 solid reasons not to recommend the EVO LTE - The multitasking issue and Sense*.

Conversely, I can't think of any reason not to recommend the Galaxy Nexus.

That is why I will recommend the Galaxy Nexus over the EVO LTE, even tough the EVO LTE is a faster more powerful phone. Because there is nothing wrong with the Nexus, but I do find flaws with the EVO LTE.

*Some see Sense's added features as a good thing, but Sense will always slow down the update process. And if you are the kind of person who just comes in to this thread to ask which phone to get, you are probably not going to find any of Sense's added features as a benefit. You probably don't care.

The reasons I can think of to recommend the Evo LTE over the Nexus :

Superior screen
Higher build quality
Better overall specs

The screen is the main reason since that is what you're looking at the whole time and even though it is preference I think most people would agree. Once there is a fully functioning version of CM9 do you think your opinion will change?

St. Blaize
Oct 11, 2007

nate fisher posted:

Ha I do question higher build quality. HTC's quality has been poo poo over years. One of the main reason I will never buy another HTC phone. But you guys keep at it because I don't have a dog in this race (all my lines are leaving Android).

Believe me, I knew I was getting the Nexus because of HTC build quality until I handled the Evo, it's like it was made by a completely different company.

I completely forgot about the camera, which is far superior on the Evo

St. Blaize
Oct 11, 2007

Lowen SoDium posted:

I have already agreed that the EVO LTE has better specs, but I am not recommending the Galaxy Nexus because it is a superiour phone. I am recommending it because I feel that the EVO LTE has more cons than the Galaxy Nexus does.

I'm confused who you are talking about recommending the phone to. If you're talking about the normal everyday no research on phones type person the Evo is the better choice for two reasons:

Bigger screen (better?)
Far away better camera

The person will not give a poo poo about updates, multitasking, or official Google support. Those two reasons are all I would need to recommend this phone to the person . For a more techy person the conversation will go differently and depending what they want another recommendation may be warranted.

I don't want to come off like an rear end but if you are recommending because of the multitasking issue then I feel like you are pushing your own preferences onto them. I guarantee once the person has their new Nexus in their hands and sees the Evo they will not be happy with your recommendation. I highly recommend you check out the Evo to see it in action.

Isn't there an issue with Google support and the CDMA Nexus?

St. Blaize
Oct 11, 2007

Lowen SoDium posted:

If we are recommending phones to the normal everyday no research on phones type person, the iPhone is the best option.

Not if they specifically want an android phone.

Lowen SoDium posted:

The multitasking issue has the potential to cause other issue. It is HTC changing the standard memory management from the way Android was designed. At best, it is going to cause people's phones to not multitask well. At worse, it could break compatibility with some apps. And even if you think that I am blowing that out of proportion, you have to at least agree that it is not a desirable behavior.

Not desirable if you know and care about it and it doesn't cause issues other than causing apps to reload. I can also claim that the superior hardware has the potential to push the phone far beyond the Nexus' limits. Maybe HTC releases a surprise update that makes sense far away the greatest piece of software ever. Claiming potential issues that don't exist is ridiculous.

Lowen SoDium posted:

And yes, I am pushing my personal preference. That's the whole point of giving my opinion. My preference is to have a phone that works with out issue and to not have to wait 6-8 months to get software updates because of some bloat that I didn't want in the first place. If I recommended a phone that I think has short comings, I don't think I would be giving a very good opinion.

What if they ask for your recommendation on a phone with a big screen and great camera powered by android? Will you tell them about multitasking and updates then recommend the Nexus?

St. Blaize
Oct 11, 2007

900ftjesus posted:

Sprint.com says the Galaxy Nexus is now $149 after a $50 rebate which goes to $139 after the Google Wallet credit. Good deal on the only Android phone worth buying.

You are just being ridiculous now. Have you even seen or used the Evo LTE?

St. Blaize
Oct 11, 2007

FogHelmut posted:

http://www.theverge.com/2012/6/21/3108576/google-wallet-confirms-software-issue-htc-evo-4g-lte

Google says Wallet will be back "soon" for the Evo LTE. This is a huge screw up, in my opinion. Wallet was shut down just after the return period was up for most people who pre-ordered. All of these software issues, especially the lame rear end Apple patent thing, make me disappointed in this phone. I just want to click a phone number on a web page and have it call that number. I can't flash a rom that will let me do that because I can't clear Google Wallet (without editing the build.prop file, you have to be rooted in the first place to do that anyway) and it will brick the secure element.

So gently caress Apple for being Apple. gently caress HTC and Sprint and Google for using release products as beta software.

Pretty sure you can just clear google wallet in the apps settings and you will be good to go.

St. Blaize
Oct 11, 2007

goku chewbacca posted:

Does a Verizon PRL force roaming, or allow you to connect to 3G data instead of 1x when you do roam?

If it's the latter, I assume it works in combination with the Roam Control app?

Yes, it forces roaming. You don't need the roam control app if you have a Verizon only PRL as Verizon will be the only network the phone will see. 3G will be on Verizon as well. Basically you will have a Verizon phone, just watch your data use.

St. Blaize
Oct 11, 2007
Is it a Sprint or Sense issue that every time I send an MMS to a group of people it sends it to all of their email addresses too? Anyone know how to fix this? Was using CyanogenMod and didnt have this issue but MMS barely worked to begin with. Really loving annoying.

St. Blaize
Oct 11, 2007

Cmdr. Shepard posted:

Well, it looks like Sprint officially launched LTE in Chicago today. Their own maps show LTE coverage in almost the entire Chicagoland area. However, my experience has been that coverage is sporadic, intermittent, slow (many of my LTE speedtests are in the 1.5-4mbps range). There are still areas where 3G is useless, and I still can't stream pandora on my way to work.

A launch in name only I guess. If this is as good as it gets, my contract will be one and done with Sprint.

I've got full strength and incredibly fast LTE in wrigleyville and in the Edison park area. Around 15Mbit/s both up and down. Nothing downtown however.

St. Blaize
Oct 11, 2007

iluvpr0n posted:

Thanks for this update - I've got an EVO 4G LTE and my data connection has been really flaky over the past couple weeks (using this CM10 ROM). When I have gotten LTE, speeds have been pretty good (4-6Mbps down, .35 - 2.57Mbps up over a few speed tests), but it'd be nice to have stable connections.

(Also, I've had weird issues even with my wifi. At times, I've wondered why I bothered to go to a non-Sense ROM, since I was having pretty good luck with Fresh ROM, but maybe this'll seal the deal.)

Try the komodo kernel, the revision 12 one fixed my data issues.

St. Blaize
Oct 11, 2007

Cmdr. Shepard posted:

What are you asking? Peruse any Evo LTE threads on S4GRU and xda and you'll see all kinds of people having issues with the Evo's LTE radio performance. The amount of 3rd party developer support for the phone is pathetic compared to the much larger community of the GS3. Yeah, there's a cm10 rom, but last time I used it half the features were broken, so I'm using a modified stock rom (MeanRom), which is good, but it's still Sense and therefore lovely. I have no knowledge of the newest cm10 rom because I decided not to bother with it until it's in a more working state. I'm glad to hear it has come along way though. I highly doubt they've fixed the LTE connectivity issue, do you have a link?

I live in the Chicago market where LTE is arguably farther along than any other market in the nation. The vast majority of the time I'm on a 3G connection. The only way I get LTE is if I'm 500 feet from the tower, or I cycle airplane mode. LTE rarely hands off tower to tower, so if I'm close to an LTE tower and I don't leave that area, I can be on LTE all day but that doesn't do me much good moving around.

edit - I checked out the latest cm10 thread and there still seem to be issues with GPS and the camera (neither of which worked right for me under cm10), so I'll take a pass for another few weeks and see where they're at then.

Gonna disagree with most of this. I am also in the Chicago market, running the 10/29 CM10 and have zero issues with LTE. The handoff from 3g is fine, speed is good and I have coverage for almost all of Lakeview, a big chunk of Lincoln Park, and surprisingly a good portion of the near north side.

The unfortunate part of reading xda is that nobody shares details of what they're using on their phone yet they will bitch about issues like it's the OPs responsibility to fix it. Instructions are always ignored with the same results. The only way to truly figure out what works is to try it out yourself and always do a full wipe. As for how big the development community is, never been to the gs3 forums but the EVO LTE one is very active.

St. Blaize
Oct 11, 2007

grimcreaper posted:

I am looking at getting a Note 2 through sprint, but i have a BIG question concerning the corporate discount thing. I work for Sears Holdings which provides 25% off with certain plans, after adding the 10$ premium data thing, the monthly bill LOOKS like its going to come out to $62.70something per month.

My question is, are they are any hidden/tacked on fees i should know about? 62 a month us hitting around the cap of where I would be willing to pay, but other places, like Verizon for instance, tack on all kinds of poo poo that brings the monthly bill to about 90 after company discounts. ($90.00 a month for 1gig of data? No way in hell im paying that.)

I appreciate any input on this, im REALLY interested in the note 2 and so far it seems Sprint has the best deal around.

Also, Any sprint guys know how well Tucson, Az is covered by LTE towers?

I too work for Sears and have the 25% discount. On the everything 900 plan with tep plus the premium data, which applies after the discount for some reason, my bill ends up being 98 and change , actually went up to 101 and change this month. Hope that helps.

St. Blaize
Oct 11, 2007
Are the regular sprint family plans gone now? I'd like to drop the minutes and data down quite a bit on our 1500 minutes unlimited data plan but I don't see anything similar on sprints website anymore. I only ask because I have a legit 25% discount and they take the discount off of the main plan, with the new plans the discount ends up being much smaller.

St. Blaize
Oct 11, 2007
Regarding the framily plan:

I have 9 family members currently on Sprint, at least 4 of whom are in the beginning of new 2-year contracts. Can I convert this all over to a framily plan without issue?

What do I have to do to get this going?

It's just not clear if this is possible and a sprint rep told me flat out that this is impossible.

Edit:

I should mention that currently these are all on 4 separate accounts and from looking at the info on sprint.com this is not possible?

St. Blaize fucked around with this message at 00:37 on May 19, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

St. Blaize
Oct 11, 2007

MY ABACUS! posted:

You can't get the framily rates while on a subsidized phone, right?

You can for now, you couldn't before. If it was purchased prior to 1/10/2014 there is no monthly fee either. After then and they add 15/month.