Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
My sister had a Sprint friends and family account (sister in law works at Sprint) but she cancelled a few months ago to go to Verizon. Turns out that Verizon has terrible signal by her house and she is considering going back to Sprint.

She could probably get back on the plan she was on before, but she'd rather not owe her sister in law any favors.

Whats the best option she may have to get back on Sprint if she called in? Obviously retentions is out because she cancelled her service a while back, but I figured there might be a good "Come back to us" option.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Are there any options for going from a 3rd party employee plan to SERO premium or something? I currently have a plan that I've had with Best Buy for 10 years, and I'm leaving the company next week...wondering if my only options are "Wait and see how long it takes for them to notice I don't work there anymore" or "Say screw it and go to a full price plan"

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

My sister is having the same issue, she called retentions because she's legitimately having issues with her phone (only gets signal in one corner of her room), and they told her she was more than welcome to purchase an air rave, but would not get one for free due to the fact that she is on an employee plan (an actual employee plan, through her sister in law, not EPRP).

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

On the employee concession plans, I heard you can no longer activate new phones over the phone / via the web. I've been on this plan for 10 years and I've always had to buy a new phone full price (over ebay, usually), and then activate it normally.

Now I'm hearing you have to actually involve the mythical Sprint rep in order to do it...curious if anyone has any experience with the activation process for demo plans these days.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Not complaining, and certainly not going to dig into it any more, but curious if anyone would know why my February bill had a $11 credit on labeled "Premium Services Adjustment"?

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

The new Evo looks pretty nice...so much nicer than the current Evo I have that I'm considering dropping my old employee plan that I'm not "really" eligible for anymore to get it...

How feasible is it to try and switch to EPRP from an employee plan? I know with that plan I used to have to buy the phones outright then have my local Sprint rep get the phone activated, since it was a concession line.

Or is EPRP even the best deal? I use less than 2 hours of talk time a month, but a ton of texts and data.

Sorry, I haven't been on a real Sprint plan in a while...

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Duckman2008 posted:

Why would you do this? Seriously, just buy your phones outright, your plan is $30 a month with a smartphone.

I would in a heartbeat, but anytime I've bought a new one, I can't get it activated online, I'd always have to have my in-store Sprint rep do it. Now that I don't have that option, I think when I finally get a new phone I won't be able to activate it.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

I love Sprint, I really do.

I was on a 3rd party employee plan through Best Buy up until now, even though I left last summer. Service shut off today because they audited and said I was no longer eligible. Went online and chatted with Sprint agent, he volunteered to put me on SERO premium without me even asking.

Hooray!

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

td4guy posted:

Ladies and gentlemen, I present to you...one of the luckiest goons ever!

Seriously, I was astonished. I left Best Buy a year ago and knew the day would come I got audited. Phone got shut off yesterday, I fully expected to have to go on a full plan with my company's 12% discount. I asked why my phone got shut off, he said "It looks like you were flagged during an audit as being ineligible for your current plan. If you would like, I can transfer you to what is called our 'SERO premium' plan. It will be a bit more money, but still a fantastic deal."

Dude got a survey with all 5's from me for sure.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

mastershakeman posted:

My bet is the poster is actually on EPRP, not SERO, since it endsd up being a tiny bit more expensive than his now-defunct employee discount plan.

Nope, SERO Premium 500. I'm guessing it's just a standard offer when people leave employee plans (I've had this one since 2001, so I'm a long time "employee")

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Charlie Foxtrot posted:

Wow, go figure, someone using common sense to solve a technical glitch.

According to the Best Buy lady that called me back later today, she said that she'd have to totally void everything they did for me... the purchase of the phone and activation through Sprint... and then RE-DO it for me to get the $100 gift card. So I'm probably going to drop the phone off while I go run errands in the area later this week and come back in an hour. I would love it if my Best Buy solved the problem like yours did.

Former Best Buy manager here...it's going to be very rare that they do that. The way that cell phone sales works at BBY is a bit stupid. For example - a phone has a cost of $600. BBY will sell it at $200, taking a $400 "loss" but since you are signing a contract with Sprint/AT&T/Verizon, they receive a kickback from the carrier as long as all that information was entered into the system.

If a manager takes the phone down to $100 to correct something like this, it instantly voids the kickback the company gets from the carrier, meaning that they're not eating an additional $100, they're eating $500. So we would almost never do a manual change on prices of phones.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Best Buy posted their black friday ad and as someone posted earlier as a suspicion, the Galaxy S III is a doorbuster at $48.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

What's the general consensus on Galaxy S3 vs. Evo LTE? I have been using a regular Evo for the last 2.5 years, and liked it quite a bit. My gut says go with the Evo LTE because of my experience, and I know Samsung at least WAS a nightmare.

But then, the Galaxy is on sale on Black Friday, and on paper is a far more powerful phone...

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

I was told that my plan would be changing to SERO after my next billing cycle when they audited the old employee plan I was on. My bill was due yesterday, but it still shows me on the old plan and when I click "order new phone" it says "an order is already in progress".

Anybody have any idea how long it should take for the plan changeover to kick in? I'm hoping to grab a new phone tomorrow or Friday...

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Vykk.Draygo posted:

Perhaps you should call them and see if they can help you out instead of waiting and hoping it works out in time.

Yeah, that's the next step, just figured I'd ask since I can't call til later tonight. :)

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Ugh trying to get the Galaxy S3 online, says my SERO plan isn't eligible. I'm guessing because, as someone said earlier, I'm on SERO Wimax and I need to be on SERO LTE. The rep says I need to upgrade...and the SERO phone number is closed. :(

Guess no Galaxy for me...

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Lovie Unsmith posted:

I'm on SERO and I went through the steps to buy the $50 GS3 online, when I got to the part about plans I called 866-866-7509, they transferred me to 888-882-4030. On hold with them right now.

Yep, that's the number I ended up getting directed to. Took me about 30 minutes of hold time and another 15 minutes of working with the operator, but I got the phone ordered. Didn't even bother trying the price match route, but they did waive the activation fee.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Lovie Unsmith posted:

Got a GS3 for $50, they waived the $36 activation fee but charged me $12 for shipping. Is that normal?

That's the same thing I got.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

The Electronaut posted:

Tried multiple times Friday to buy a Galaxy S III and gave up after 6 or so hours. Soon as anyone saw that I had a SERO plan I got routed somewhere else where the call would drop at random, get a disconnected number, outside office hours, told to go online, etc. Oh Sprint.

Did you call 888-882-4030? They were super helpful for me, but a bit of a hold...

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Do Air Raves have a monthly fee? My sister has terrible signal at her house, but has been unsuccessful getting a free one because she's on an employee plan and retentions won't even talk to her about it. She needs an Air Rave, and at this point she's willing to buy one, but I read online that it requires an "Unlimited air rave" data plan...

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

SamDabbers posted:

Did you check your spam folder? Gmail sent my confirmation email to spam for some reason.

Yep, same here. Pulled mine out of spam.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Which is the best number to call to get my Galaxy S3 activated on my SERO plan? The SERO number in the OP? Or the Employee Care line?

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

All activated and good to go.

Does anyone use Google Voice with the Galaxy S3? I use my Google Voice number as my work number only, everyone else uses my standard cell number. I installed Google Voice on the S3, and now the number is fully integrated, which I don't want. I want to text with my regular cell#, and use the Google Voice app to text work people if needed. I also liked the ability on the Evo to select whether I wanted to dial out using the GV number or Sprint number every time. But I can't seem to find an option to turn it off. I uninstalled GV and re-installed it, and went with the option for "standard setup" instead of "sprint integration", but it does the same thing.

Any ideas?

*edit* Figured it out, removed the phone from Google Voice then reinstalled.

Medullah fucked around with this message at 02:34 on Nov 28, 2012

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

ryanbruce posted:

I'm tired of dropped calls in my apartment and am looking at that Airrave number in the OP. Do they work with you if you're on SERO or is the freebie offer only available to EPRP/full price plans?

It probably doesn't help that I waited too long and am now past my 14 day return policy (bought my new phone on Black Friday)

My sister called employee care as someone suggested earlier in the thread to me, they gave her zero push back.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Best Buy has the Galaxy S3 on sale today only for $50, if anyone didn't jump on the Black Friday deals.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Killer Queen posted:

I wish the Metro Detroit area was getting LTE sometime in the not-so-far future, but nope. Nothing. No inkling of activity. At this rate I won't see anything until the middle of 2013 or later. That wait is too long and my speeds are abysmal in the suburbs here. It's even worse because Chicago's LTE is incredible the few times I'm there.

I know...I had a layover in Chicago flying from Detroit to Missouri, and had blazing speeds there. Made me angry. :(

Same thing happened with my Evo 4g years ago, layover in Philadelphia.

What's worse is I now have a work Verizon phone, and the speeds are so much better than my Galaxy S3. Too bad I can't really use it for anything. :(

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

UnbornApple posted:

Just got a SGS3. The voicemail app is confusing. Is visual voicemail free, but the transcription costs extra, or does visual voicemail cost money as well?

Just use Google Voice for your voicemail. You'll get the transcription for free, and you can check it from your computer.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Isn't that a legal thing? I remember reading that a while back that the camera had to have a sound so people couldn't be creepers.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Question about the Airave. My sister got one finally from Sprint, and got it all set up. Unfortunately, it's only showing one bar. Is that normal? Since her phone is using the Airave, is it not going to show more bars since it's technically WiFi?

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

The Entire Universe posted:

If someone sends MMS to your phone number then it will show up in your phone no problem (because it is going around GV) but if it gets sent to your GV number then it's basically in a box with a poison needle and you won't be able to tell what happened to it without hunting for it.

I hope they fix this but personally don't receive enough MMS messages to make a difference. I feel for you if you receive enough MMS to make this an issue, you may want to look into giving out your phone number to people you expect to get picture messages from and your GV number for people you don't know/professional stuff. That way you can block weirdos via GV and still receive dick pics from your close friends.

Settings in GV will show your phone's number as well as your GV number, each identified respectively. I am fairly sure integrating with Sprint works differently and you will continue to get MMS messages, but in the text app whereas SMS arrive in the GV app.

I prefer using the native app in JB for both since it has enhanced notifications I can just fire a message back with. I imagine upgrading the GV app to have similar functionality is on Google's list of poo poo to do. I don't see them developing the native app to such a degree without also bringing GV up to speed as well.

I thought they fixed the MMS issue with GV? I thought you couldn't see MMS on your computer, but they do end up getting sent to your phone. I know I get notices for MMS when someone sends a number to my GV phone number. I'm on Sprint, but I don't have GV integrated with it.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

El_Matarife posted:

I got a Galaxy SII from someone else at my company a month or so ago. I factory reset it, upgraded it to ICS and I'm having unbelievably insane battery life problems even with a brand new battery. As far as I can tell, the CPU is just not going to sleep due to some Android OS process. I can feel it getting hot in my pocket!

Anyone have any ideas? I removed the weather widget from the start page since I've heard the Accuweather widget is awful for battery life.

Is that the normal signal you get? Weak WiFi/ cell signal? That could be causing battery problems too...

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

SalTheBard posted:

Got my Note 2 yesterday. I upgraded from the Epic and holy poo poo do I love it. Just one question though. On my epic I could turn the 4G off but on this phone I dont see that option can anyone tell me where that is?

Also when is Android 4.2.1 coming to it?

If it's like the Galaxy S3, which I would assume it is, you can shut off data by pulling down on the top of the screen, scroll til you see the option (that's where the vibrate, wifi, etc options are)

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

I was so happy...when I got out of the gym (Rochester, Michigan), I had 4G signal. Sadly, it faded when I headed home...but we're seeing progress!

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Butt Reactor posted:

I'm in a bit of a conundrum here...have an Epic 4g and I absolutely despise it, it's given me multiple issues since I bought it and I have had it serviced 3-4 times. Been looking at upgrades, but I'm not seeing anything standout since I'm loathe to get another samsung phone and the HTC evo is a little long in the tooth. Plus LTE isn't forecasted anywhere soon near where I live (Salt Lake City) so whatever phone I get won't be able to use LTE unless I travel to the midwest or east coast apparently. My parents still have the verizon family plan I jumped ship off of many years ago to get SERO, and the latest DROID phones VZW have look miles better than what I've seen in the sprint stores. Is there any phones/services that Sprint has coming out in the next few weeks, or should I just make plans to put my SERO plan up for sale and move (figuratively) back home?

Samsung has turned around. The Galaxy S3 is amazing.

And I'm saying that as the biggest Samsung hater pre November of last year.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Butt Reactor posted:

How's the battery life? My epic won't even make it through a full day without needing to be charged in my car, at work, etc. And this is with some text/web browsing, NO 4G access.

I've come to accept my phone will always need to charge at night, but that's usually it. There's been a few times it's needed charging before the day is out, but that is usually only when I'm in a roaming area / area with no signal, or when I watch videos for a while. Usually about 30-40% when I plug it in at night.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Duckman2008 posted:

I feel your pain dude.

So Sprint detected my 3rd party employee plan and suspended me today. Quite a bummer, although I just ported my number to google voice and killed the plan.

Anyone here have experience unlocking a Sprint iPhone 5 or 4S? I haven't found a legit cheap option on ebay, and Sprint is telling me they won't let unlock my phone unless I renew my contract.

And potentially I have a Sprint iphone 5 32GB and Galaxy S3 16GB on the market if anyone is interested.

Don't know if you even want to stay with Sprint, but when I got my 3rd party plan cut off in November they switched me to SERO Premium...you might be able to push for that.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

rock2much posted:

For some reason I still have my Epic4G and a Moment. I think if I sold them together to Sprint I'd get $18.01.

I'm weird about my cell phones, I never get rid of them. I still have my Treo 700, and (I think) my Sanyo 5150. JUST IN CASE, YOU KNOW!

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Gozinbulx posted:

Is sprint down everywhere right now? Downdetector map shows like every major city in the US.

Sprint in Miami is completely down. Can't make or receive calls.

Works in Detroit.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Anyone else having issues with Sprint internet? Mines been non-existant for about 2 hours, in Detroit, 4G.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

My GS3 just got the 4.4 update too and I'm having some bad luck at Google-Fu...what was added/changed with the update? So far the only thing I see is that all notifications in the pull down menu are grouped - it used to separate persistent notifications (Tasker) with pushed notifications (text/email).