Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob

PorkFat posted:

I know what they look like and I've gone up and down every spice section looking for them. Unless they're in an opaque package?

Mine were in a clear package but only had the Latin botanical name (and I assume Chinese characters) on them. Look for genus Zanthoxylum species X while you're at it.

e: I bought it because of the look, not because I like looking up the scientific names of spices. I got back home, googled it, and was all "what the hell, prickly ash!?" until further googling.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob
Sharwoods maybe

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob

NLJP posted:

This looks really great but just a quick question, what's the best way to sift out the seeds in this case? I'm probably being dumb but either I separate the skin from the seed at the start or I end up with the occasional gritty bit later. Can you just pound them in a mortar? I'd assume a grinder would grind too much gritty stuff in with it all, which is basically what happened the first time I tried to use sichuan pepper since I didn't know about the grit and haven't used them much since.

Just wondering what the most convenient way to sort these buggers out is :)

If I remember the seeds are pretty hard and glassy, so when you toast the shells and grind them in a mortar and pestle, the seeds stay pretty much intact and you can sieve them out.

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob
Sensitive to be being banned maybe.

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob
It is my understanding that a good deal of the smokey flavour comes from the wok hei or seasoning, so if you were breaking in a new wok it stands to reason that would be lacking.

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob

Ghost of Reagan Past posted:

TRY IT. It is really good. If you don't have spicy chili crisp, you should DEFINITELY get some. Throw it into a simple stir fry for some nice Sichuan flavors. It comes in a jar with a red label, a picture of a slightly upset woman, and is made by Laoganma. I...do not know how to type the characters. But it's really easy to find, and it says "Spicy Chili Crisp" right on the jar.

That angry-looking woman makes all kinds of wonderful things.

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob

Steve Yun posted:

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_ONEbC0FWmXw/TFnr-UtZFmI/AAAAAAAAPSQ/G8-DV1TCm_8/s1600/IMG_4430.JPG

Had to look up this stuff and started laughing when I saw it

She knows it's good stuff, she doesn't have to impress you.

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob
There's shiitake mushroom powder, if you just want the flavour.

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob

Grand Fromage posted:

What is the best substitute for Shaoxing wine? The Chinese market here doesn't seem to have it but they have a variety of other things that may be similar. If you can give me the Chinese characters please do, there aren't any English labels and they didn't understand what I was talking about when I tried to explain what I wanted. And the Korean version of it is, as usual, filled with corn syrup.

Sherry apparently does a good job.

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob
Could you throw a little orange blossom/rose water in witht he water chestnuts for that floral note?

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob
I'd love to see more Sichuan stuff, I have a packet of peppers getting lonely in my cupboard.

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob

hallo spacedog posted:

Does Shanxi Mature Vinegar need to be refrigerated?

Nah.

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob
You can call it fond if you prefer.

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob

Coldwar timewarp posted:

I have been thinking about getting some black vinegar, I'm in Canada so I assume the brands will be similar to the ones in the US. Reccomendations?

I'm also Canadian. The kind that I got on recommendation from the Asian grocer here is Gold Plum - I'm no expert but it certainly seems to do everything I would expect it to. It was like $2 and a quick google seems to indicate it's one of the better ones available over here. Fuchsia Dunlop recommends it apparently.

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob
Maple syrup seems like it'd be nice with a very simple congee type thing.

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob

Phanatic posted:

It's all oil and salt, low water activity, in the fridge it should keep pretty indefinitely.

I have a jar in the fridge I'm just kind of choosing to ignore that I can't remember when I bought it.

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob
I don't think I'd like avocado in mapo tofu as it and silken tofu are pretty similar textures, but I'm not huge on avocado anyway so what do I know

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob
I tend to use the black bean one but I'm also never sure if/when it actually expires. I kind of work on the principle that it's basically immortal unless it has a fuzz or smells off.

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob

Grand Fromage posted:

You poke the hole before cooking the egg, not after like when you smash and marinate.

We had one of these when I was a kid for hard cooked eggs

You put the fat end in, press down, and it makes a tiny hole

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob
I keep mine out in the cooler area of the kitchen, I've never even once noticed any change to it.

I suspect it's one of those things where it's pretty much bulletproof if you use it within a year.

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob

Pookah posted:

As an aside, I envy all of you who live in places where they aren't just 'chinese restaurants' but rather places cooking specific regional styles. 99% of Chinese places in Ireland will have essentially the same menu, which caters to the palate of irish people in the 1980's - bland or sweet. There was a place in my town that switched from serving the usual range to having a much more interesting menu, but they switched back after a few months. I'm guessing not enough people were willing to try the new things :(
Fortunately the Chinese population here has increased a lot in the last 20 years, which has led to the opening of a lot of Chinese groceries, so even if the restaurant choice isn't there you can at least attempt to cook a wider range of recipes at home.

A restaurant about a block away from me does all the "Americanized Chinese" classics, beef and broccoli, etc. etc. I was recommended an app on the google store the other day and downloaded it out of sheer lockdown boredom, it's Fantuan, an apparently Asian food oriented delivery app. Lo and behold, my local chicken ball restaurant has a whole traditional Chinese menu - I knew it had a "secret" menu but not like, 50 menu items like Chongqing maoxuewang.

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob

Pookah posted:

I bought birds custard powder recently, and it's now just yellow cornflour. The vanilla flavour is almost imperceptible :(

I use it a fair amount at work and just add some more vanilla extract or vanilin powder, or you can add whatever, maple is nice.

It cooks up far more nicely in the microwave per package directions than it does on the stovetop, despite being a stovetop thing since roughly forever.

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob
Let's move on from whatever this is.

:thanks:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob

Ulillinguist posted:

:agreed:

I once bought a non-lao gan ma chili crisp and it was so bad by comparison that I threw it in the garbage. I will never forsake lao gan ma again.

Lao Gan Ma did it right the first time,