Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.

PorkFat posted:

Does anyone have a source of Szechwan pepper online? I cannot find it locally in the asian markets and online I find it only for insane prices or for large amounts.

In my local Asian store they come in a big bag labeled "prickly ash" and it doesn't have the words "Szechwan" or "peppercorn" anywhere on it. Penzeys is good too though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

PorkFat posted:

I know what they look like and I've gone up and down every spice section looking for them. Unless they're in an opaque package?

Mine weren't but I suppose they could be. thespicehouse.com also has them for a bit more, but I like them better than Penzey's. Everything I've gotten from them is super fresh.

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

Of all the doubanjiang I've tried the brands that come in the bags are always the best.

I got some chai pow yu and soy puffs to use in Buddha's delight and I'm wondering how to store the stuff I don't use and how long it might last.

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I bought some mung bean starch to make that cold noodle appetizer dish good Sichuan restaurants have. Are there any other uses for this stuff besides different shapes and sizes of jelly in numbing hot sauce?

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I'm getting a little bored with Kenji's mapo dofu recipe and want to play the field a little bit, anybody want to vouch for a good one?

Edit: Also a killer twice cooked pork recipe would be appreciated.

Human Tornada fucked around with this message at 03:57 on Jun 15, 2017

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I like leeks and big hunks of green cabbage.

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I like to lightly toast them in a pan, add oil and blend with hand blender, and let the oil sit in the fridge for a few days, shaking it up whenever I think of it. When it's been four days or whatever, I set it to strain through a coffee filter in the fridge (this also takes a few days and the filter needs to be swapped out occasionally) . This makes a really nice looking oil with a clean, toasted flavor.

I've made the one posted above and I'm always reaching for the one with just chilies instead.

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I made Danny Bowen's Mapo Tofu from his book (this version) and I was skeptical at first but it turned out really good. Really deep umami flavor and was more complex than more traditional recipes but didn't stray too far out there that it wasn't Mapo Tofu anymore.

That being said, I would tweak a few things to suit my personal tastes. Use more tofu and less pork, the pork combined with the chopped mushrooms makes it really meaty. I'll also use silken tofu next time, and double the Sichuan peppercorns, as it was a little light on the numbing.

Overall I was pretty happy with it though and it might be my new standard recipe.

al-azad posted:

I made this over the weekend and it turned out well. Tested it out this morning in a very boring way by frying up eggs and mushrooms. I think I will use this as a base for cooking more than a table condiment.

Have this steeping in the fridge. Toasted the dried peppers with the windows closed like an idiot and was forced to leave my kitchen in a coughing fit. Learn from me.

Well, how'd it turn out?

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

:rolleyes: Did you guys miss the part where I said I was skeptical at first but it won me over? What's wrong with trying a new approach every once and a while?

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

totalnewbie posted:

No one said it's verboten, relax. It's just so funnily typical to truss up simple, staple recipes to make it seem fancy, as if traditional recipes are too pedestrian for such a high-class restaurant. In this case, the result was good, so that's great, but it still plays into the stereotype.

Then what the gently caress are you even doing here if the idea of modifying an old recipe is "LOL typical"? Adding a 90 cent can of beer isn't exactly truffle oil and salmon foam.

Peven Stan posted:

The tomato paste, beer, and mushroom powder is just hilarious. Might as well simmer it in dashi stock while you're at it.

Yeah, then it might taste even better. The horror!

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

totalnewbie posted:

Man, you need to relax. It's an internet forum, not a NYT review.

Hey I'm not the one who reads food and recipe forums just to :argh: about "typical foodie bullshit".

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

Closed-minded weiners ignore this post...

I made Danny Bowien's Kung Pao Pastrami also from his book (I can't find the same version online). Not what I'd use to scratch a Kung Pao itch but it was still really good, more of a pastrami and peanut stir fry. Maybe a splash of black vinegar would bring it a little closer next time.

The potatoes and fresh jalapenos provided a nice soft contrast to the crunchy celery and peanuts and meaty pastrami and I'll probably incorporate them into more traditional Kung Pao recipes from now on.

The real revelation was the pastrami, though. The recipe calls for you to grill it first and then bake it but for logistical reasons I couldn't do that so I sous-vided it and then finished it under the broiler but still used his spice mixture (salt, sugar, black pepper, Sichuan peppercorns, and yellow mustard) and it was unreal. I probably ate half of the point-cut brisket just off the cutting board.

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

Magna Kaser posted:

The tofu recipe didn't bother me at all and while that "kung pao" pastrami looks good and all, it does kind of irk me it's called "kung pao" when it has like nothing in common (outside of peanuts, I guess?) with actual kung pao [thing]. It's basically just a rando stir fry with kung pao in front to sound more chinese-y. I'll admit I just found a few, admittedly differing, recipes online for it and some more pix to come to this conclusion so maybe the real-deal is closer to the actual thing.

Like you could totally have kung pao pastrami, like you can already get kung pao chicken, pork, beef, shrimp, tofu, [deep fried root vegetables], fish, etc... and they all share a few commonalities outside of the protein which this doesn't have at all.

I'm willing to admit I'm being a weirdo about this but it did bother me a bit.

Yeah that was my main gripe with the recipe. The peanuts and celery weren't enough to make it recognizably "kung pao", authentic or Americanized.

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

Yeah that sounds awesome.

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I have a cookbook called Hong Kong Diner and in one of the recipes it calls for "1 stick of fresh green peppercorns" does anyone know what this means?

Edit: Nevermind, when I tried to google it last night I was getting nothing but now I see. I will amend my question to be "Are jarred young green peppercorns considered fresh?"

Human Tornada fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Jan 10, 2018

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

Does anyone know what these things are in front of the bamboo shoots here?

Linked because I'm on my phone. http://imgur.com/oa7aZbB

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

Going by Google image search, I don't think that's quite right, these are solid and triangle shaped, about the size of a small chicken breast.

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

Cool, thanks.

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

This is my go-to mapo recipe: https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2012/jun/14/pock-marked-old-woman-s-tofu-recipe
If you want to add meat, just brown it in another pan and add it when you add the tofu.

Cook time is very fast btw, they aren't kidding about 'a few seconds' for some of those steps.

I would not recommend the broad bean paste in that serious eats link, get this instead: http://a.co/h2LDjGE
There are also some broad bean pastes around that are good but have chili oil added. If you use those you tend to have to add a bit more to get the same level of taste/heat, from my experience anyway.

Can confirm, this is the best on I've tried.

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

It's always disappointing when a Sichuan restaurant around here (SW Ohio) doesn't fry their Chongqing chicken, and asking if they do or not beforehand isn't usually all that helpful. One place I go to just because I like their version. It has plenty of numbing and not as much searing heat, but what can you do.

I made fried bao with cumin beef last night and was planning on using frozen dough but it was already par steamed or something so I had to start from scratch and used a recipe containing mostly cake flour. I was way behind schedule due to making the dough at the last minute so I rushed through some steps at the end so no pictures but they still tasted great. It was my first time making bao of any kind and I definitely learned a lot for next time.

Water chestnuts with the beef gave the filling some nice textural contrast. Recipe, if anyone's interested. https://www.cooked.com/uk/Jeremy-Pa...ied-baos-recipe

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

Sorry, what's the joke here? That people outside of China shouldn't eat Chinese food? That Chinese people in the US shouldn't cook Chinese food? Or are you just being a snarky dipshit for no reason?

Ah, got it.

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

Archenteron posted:

As someone else in SW Ohio, what Sichuan places do you two recommend?

I'm in the north of Cincy area so my list skews in that direction. Sichuan Chili in Evendale is IMO hands down the best. Sichuan Bistro in Mason is my second favorite and I don't hear it talked about all that much. 99 Restaurant in Sharonville is great too and Great Tang in West Chester is also very good and is where my picture a few posts up is from.

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

Grand Fromage posted:

Just tried this place today. Quite good and genuine Sichuan flavors, though it was a weird experience for me because the cooks clearly are from a different region of Sichuan than I lived in so it was all different than the Sichuan food in my head. Good, but nothing was what I expected it to be. I ordered a shitload of stuff and have leftovers for lunch all week. :getin: The Chinese grocery right by it is pretty baller too, scored some 空心菜.

I really wish we had Uighurs cooking around here. :smith:

Glad you liked it. I've never been to China and don't really care much about "authenticity" but of the four I mentioned, their food is a little more unique than the others, which seem a little more traditional and what I'd expect "Sichuan food" to taste and look like.

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

Grand Fromage posted:

Yeah, you could go into a restaurant in Sichuan and what you'd get wouldn't be substantially different. I do need to specifically ask for more huajiao next time but I get that, most people haven't had years of building up a tolerance to it.

I failed hard though, I was so stuffed I didn't get a jianbing at the grocery store's little roujiamou/jianbing stand and now I regret not forcing one down.

Oh snap, I didn't know they had one of those, I've never been in there because I have a good one I already go to, I'll have to check it out.

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

Human Tornada posted:

Does anyone know what these things are in front of the bamboo shoots here?

Linked because I'm on my phone. http://imgur.com/oa7aZbB

If anybody remembers this post, the grocery these things were at finally put an English sticker in front of them, and it turns out they're jellyfish. Who knew.

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

Could anyone clear up which pepper is the facing heaven chili? Google image searches returns the fatter red chili pointing upwards, but on That Mala Market shop they're calling the fatter ones the lantern chili and the skinnier ones that look like arbols are called the facing heaven chili.

Most of my peppers haven't even ripened yet but I'm already planning my garden for next year.

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

Huh. It looks like GIS results are about 50/50 correct. Maybe I'll grow both.

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

Mapo Tofu is good for a novice because you don't really need a wok or to do any high heat cooking or frying. The Serious Eats recipe is good.

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

lilbeefer posted:

Will try it, but with pork maybe? I was also thinking of mapo tofu but it requires buying a quite a bit of ingredients

Yes, it will be good with pork.

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I believe the Juancheng Pixian Doubanjiang in the pouch is the preferred brand.

Edit: I I know this is a weird time for restaurants right now but have any of the Cincinnati area people gotten to try Great Tang in West Chester yet? IMO they belong right up there with Sichuan Chili and Sichuan Bistro. They're take-out only right now I believe, I've been missing it like crazy.

Human Tornada fucked around with this message at 01:36 on Aug 7, 2020

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

Flipping through Yan Kit's Classic Chinese Cookbook, what about crystal sugar pig's hock, roast pork belly, braised beef with garlic, rustic steamed beef, or a classic char-siu? I can post any recipes if you like.

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

LOL whoops. :doh:

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

At the bottom they suggest swapping in spare ribs, another classic Chinese menu item.

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

Mister Facetious posted:

Chef Mike style Dan Dan noodles with gai choy (salted, then blanched). TVP (rehydrated with mushroom powder) and hoisin were substituted for meat and oyster sauce, respectively.

There are some things I'd change for next time, but it was alright.
Next time I'll saute the greens in garlic, ginger, and soy, and the TVP needs more mushroom powder if I'm not going to use meat.

This looks great.

Also if you didn't know, they make vegetarian mushroom "oyster" sauce that might make a better substitute than hoisin.

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

So did any of you guys who got seeds to grow those Sichuan peppers have any luck or what?

Human Tornada fucked around with this message at 02:29 on Sep 18, 2021

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I've made that one, it's excellent and very rich even without the meat.

I was skeptical of beef instead of pork but a local takeout version won me over

Here's a vegetarian version I made served over tater tots

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

Yeah I find the larger chunks of beans and peppers a little unpleasant.

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

Yeah but Tan Tan Ramen slaps though.

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

Is it Thai black soy sauce?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

Kecap manis is similar to black soy sauce but is generally thicker and sweeter. I would look for some Thai marinades and stir fry sauces if I had a bottle of black soy sauce I wanted to use up.