Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

bewbies posted:

Just get a normal wok and a wok rink, it works very well (temp control just isn't as good). Martin Yan does most of his cooking on an electric range.

I'd just get a flat-bottomed wok. That way you're not losing any heat by not having the wok directly contact the range surface.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

I didn't particularly care for Pearl River's soy sauce, but maybe it's because I grew up with my mom using Kimlan soy sauce, which is a brand from Taiwan, and which is my current preferred brand.

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

Not to step on ZetsurinPower's toes, and I would also be very interested in his mapo tofu recipe, but I usually follow Chen Kenichi's mapo tofu recipe, which is very tasty. However when he says firm tofu I believe the soft tofu sold here in the U.S. is the closest approximation.

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

You can also buy seed packets and grow them yourself.

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

ashgromnies posted:

edit: actually that stuff was really easy to find but I couldn't find just plain fermented black beans. There were a ton of "fermented black bean sauce", "black bean sauce with garlic", etc. but no just "black beans"... I wound up finding a jar of fermented black bean paste(soybean, not mung bean, I know that sometimes "black bean paste" means mung bean paste) and used that. Seems okay.

Anyways, I made the ma po dofu, pretty much going off of your recipe, but with the addition of 1 Tbsp of black bean paste.

This is pretty awesome. The contrast in texture between the ground pork and silken tofu is really nice, as is the numbing burn on my tongue.

You might be able to find it in the fridge section, or in the dry goods section with other dry beans. They might also be labeled salted black beans or something like that.

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

For most Chinese stir-fry dishes, you really shouldn't need to cook a sauce for more than 30 seconds or so. So first cook your meat until it's just caramelized, take it out, cook the veggies, add the meat back in, add the sauce, let the sauce reduce for 30 seconds or so, then scoop everything out. That 30 seconds of cooking in the sauce shouldn't overcook your meat that much.

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

Kinuven posted:

But what I'd really love to make is Ma La pork belly. Does anyone have a good recipe for Ma La sauce? I'm thinking that tossing the pork belly in that sauce would be great with a simple side of bok choy.

I've seen ma la chili sauce that's basically ground Szechuan peppercorns steeped in chili oil.

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

Sjurygg posted:

Treating the meat slices with a little corn or potato starch. It's a quite common way to treat meat in China.

I always thought velveting was briefly deep frying the meat in oil.

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

I actually like to stew the szechuan peppercorns along with star anise and the other spices. It adds a nice background tingliness. I'll have to post my recipe next time I make a batch of beef noodle soup.

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

Sjurygg posted:

Good spaghetti or linguine is way better than dried Chinese noodles :ssh:

I dunno... western pasta just tastes weird in Chinese noodle dishes. Maybe it's because I'm used to cooking them al dente, which makes for a weird texture in a Chinese dish.

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

Nickoten posted:

I've been wanting to make some Lo Mein akin to what I get at local places around Columbus but it seems like most recipes I find use soba noodles as opposed to udon (The closest equivalent I can find to what the restaurants near me use). Does anyone happen to have any recipes for good Chinese fired noodle dishes using those thicker noodles?

Edit: A little further research has led me to believe that what I'm trying to make is Shanghai Lo Mein. Does that sound right?

Shanghai noodles are the thicker Chinese noodles.

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

AriTheDog posted:

Anyone have any good Chinese sweet soup recipes? In particular I'm interested in pureed nut soups that I've only had a handful of times, but it'd be neat to hear about anything at all.

My favorite is mung bean soup:

6 cups water
1 cup mung beans
6 Tbsp sugar

Bring mung beans and water to boil, lower heat to medium and cook for 20 minutes (or slightly more depending on how soft you like your beans), dissolve in the sugar and turn off heat.

You can eat it hot but I like to let it cool and eat it cold.

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

freudianquips posted:

I love when my mom makes this one! She says it is important to use yellow (?) rock sugar, but regular table sugar works in a pinch. I also love adding tapioca pearls to it!

Yes my mom adds tapioca pearls too. I think I kind of prefer it without the pearls though.

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

Sionak posted:

Thanks for the help with the yellow bean fish - I'll look for the dried mashed soy beans at the local markets. That is definitely the part that I'm missing.

I bought a jar this weekend at my local Asian grocer that had the label "Fried Crispy Soybean". It even had a picture of the fish dish on the label.

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

aejix posted:

This may belong in the canning thread but thought I would ask here - I have poo poo all of an idea when it comes to asian cooking but see quite a lot of recipes that require or recommend adding sichuan pickled vegetables. Does anyone have any experience in making their own sichuan pickled vegetables that could share their general technique/base recipe?

vvvv Legend, thanks heaps

In recipes when they refer to Sichuan pickled vegetables they're usually referring to zha cai.

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

Grand Fromage posted:

I found doubanjiang too!

So the recipe says 2.5 tbsp of chili bean paste. About what proportion should I use of both these? Half and half? Or is it supposed to be just doubanjiang?

doubanjiang is chili bean paste.

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

j4on posted:

When making chinese soup stock, blanching and tossing the early water is important to.. well, get the dirty blood out so that you get a good clear broth.

It's explained well here:
http://www.seriouseats.com/2013/04/the-food-lab-wonton-soup.html

I do that when making Taiwanese beef noodle soup. I find that it does lessen the amount of stuff that I have to skim from the broth.

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

Schmeichy posted:

Any suggestions for what to do with garlic chives? I have a huge bunch and was going to make pancakes with them, but there's enough for at least another dish.

Also, I made mapo tofu the other day, and while searching recipes online, I found this: http://www.bonappetit.com/recipe/mapo-tofu . Is it just me, or is this a weird recipe? It has twice the ingredients of the goon recipes in this thread, and tomato sauce? It might be good, but it doesn't look like it'd taste like mapo tofu.

It's a recipe from Mission Chinese, which is a trendy "Chinese" restaurant founded by two western chefs. I've had their mapo tofu and it was pretty good, but definitely not traditional.

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

InspectorBloor posted:

Welp, that explains alot. So the right stuff for the Ma Po tofu is doubanjiang? Do I need to make that myself, or is there a brand that's advisable? Just send me on my next quest already :allears:

Yes there are plenty of brands out there that you can buy. It might be more commonly called chili bean paste or some variations of that. Lee Kum Kee is an OK brand that you should be able to find just about anywhere in the world with an Asian grocer.

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

Coldwar timewarp posted:

I have been thinking about getting some black vinegar, I'm in Canada so I assume the brands will be similar to the ones in the US. Reccomendations?

In my experience there's also a difference between Taiwan-styled black vinegar and China-styled black vinegar. Taiwan-styled black vinegar, such as the Kong Yen branded black vinegar, is pretty mild and smells kind of like Worcestershire sauce. China-styled black vinegar, like the Gold Plum brand, is much more pungent.

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

hallo spacedog posted:

Use it in fried rice for extra deliciousness.

This. Or basically add it to any dish for extra deliciousness.

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

Make a pork floss sandwich (pork floss between two slices of bread, optionally spread jam on one slice of bread) or use it as a topping for congee.

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

xcdude24 posted:

Stir fry question: the burner on my stove is super hot (don't know exactly how many BTUs, but I'd say it's much higher than your average household burner), so I decided to buy a wok for stir fries. Anyways, before I combine all the ingredients (I cook them one by one so I don't crowd the pan), I add the sauce, which inevitably ends up burning and sticking to the wok. Should I turn the heat down before adding the sauce?

Usually you should put everything back in the pan before adding the sauce, no?

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

El Grillo posted:

So glad I looked up this thread, ton of useful info, thanks op and everyone! I had a look through for actual wok recommendations but I guess most of you guys are in cities with a decent chinatown - I'm in a small town in the UK and don't have access to somewhere like that. Should I just go for a Ken Hom steel thing like this: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Ken-Hom-professional-carbon-steel/dp/B0000CC51A/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1410883683&sr=8-5&keywords=carbon+steel+wok (...if I can find it in 14" size) or is there something I should be ordering instead?

Also I'm curious as to what you guys think of this recipe: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/foodanddrink/recipes/8267413/Chicken-fried-rice-recipe.html
I did it a few times when I had access to a proper wok (i.e. not non-stick) last year and it came out really great, love that chilli bean sauce. I have no idea whether it's in any way 'authentic' however; it just tastes pretty close to me.

The wok looks fine. A flat bottom is essential for use on home stoves in the west. Ken Hom is pretty solid about everything regarding Chinese cuisine, so I'd trust the recipe too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

Adult Sword Owner posted:

What's the best way to stir fry baby bok choy as a stand alone dish? I've had some excellent versions of it at restaurants but when I try it at home it comes out soggy and flavorless and totally unexciting.

Maybe you're cooking them for too long? The green leafy part should be wilted but the stem should be nice and crunchy. For a quick and easy way to cook them I usually will just stir fry them with some rough chopped garlic and a few dashes of oyster sauce. It shouldn't cook for more than 2-3 minutes.