Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

td4guy
Jun 13, 2005

I always hated that guy.

Nam Taf posted:

Back on topic, what is the limitation that is stopping long-directory-name files from being post-processed completely? I find that they sometimes unzip but then fail to relocate to the completed directory and be renamed cause their filenames are too long. Is there any way to overcome this issue or is it an issue with unrar.exe or something?
That's an operating system or file system issue. I know that NTFS simply won't let a directory name + filename be more than 256 characters long. There's nothing you can do about that other than not unrar long-named stuff into a long-named subdirectory.

So don't unrar to C:\Users\Administrator\Documents\My Downloads\complete\ because that's like 50 characters used up already. Use C:\Usenet\complete\

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

td4guy
Jun 13, 2005

I always hated that guy.

Tricky Ed posted:

So I found my install of Agent from like 1998, and whaddaya know, it works. I've been using sanzbd and NZB.su for the past few months and like it, but when I fired up Agent I found there are some groups in there that are still active that aren't indexed by NZB.su.

Since I'd really not use Agent any more, is there some other way for me to crawl specific groups and generate NZB data from them? Am I basically asking someone to tell me how to make my own indexer?
Use a site that isn't NZB.su. One with raw search, like binsearch.info or newzbin.com.

td4guy
Jun 13, 2005

I always hated that guy.

Hey inpheaux, a couple of weeks ago I emailed you an NZB that failed to unrar but SABnzbd deleted the rar set anyway. It was weird. Did you ever look into that?

td4guy
Jun 13, 2005

I always hated that guy.

Well, since Supernews is simply Giganews under a different name, the obvious choice would be their $99/year plan.

td4guy
Jun 13, 2005

I always hated that guy.

Why does that happen? :psyduck:

td4guy
Jun 13, 2005

I always hated that guy.

Laserface posted:

Im having trouble with MyNZB.

It worked like a charm on my windows machine, but for whatever reason since migrating to a mac, I cant get it to work via 3G. I normally set it to https, disable API and forward ports accordingly on the router, but it wont work. connects instantly via wifi, but the second Im using 3G it times out.

firewall on the mac is off, and to be sure I have doublechecked port forwarding is correct - is there something in the mac config thats blocking the connection? is there anyway to monitor my inbound connections on the mac to determine if the request is making it into my network?
Use http://www.canyouseeme.org/ to double-check that the port is open and responding on your mac.

td4guy
Jun 13, 2005

I always hated that guy.

TreFitty posted:

I am disappointed with Giganews reseller Super News. Back when I used Giganews 2 years ago, I could get downloads up to 8MB/sec, which is pretty much what it takes to saturate my internet connection. Now, they've stuck me on the EU server even though I don't specify it and I'm getting an average of 1.5-2MB/sec. That blows. A lot.

Living in Korea and I'm sure that's why, but it suuuuucks. I might actually pay the Giganews premium next month for their VyprVPN (tried it when it came out and it was quite good).
I thought someone earlier in the thread mentioned that they had a datacenter in Hong Kong.

td4guy
Jun 13, 2005

I always hated that guy.

Dodoman posted:

And since it's user run there are always comments.
Yeah, this is why I like NZBmatrix and NZBsRUs.

td4guy
Jun 13, 2005

I always hated that guy.

PirateDentist posted:

They have had caps listed like that for over 2 years. Never gotten a word from them about it.

I'm also in Arizona.
AT&T announced their caps back in March or something and only just started enforcing it few weeks ago in my particular area. I guess ISPs take time to roll these things out.

td4guy
Jun 13, 2005

I always hated that guy.

Ashex posted:

Additionally, this has probably been answered, but is SABnzbd+ going to do anything with srr files in the future?
Why would you want SABnzbd+ to convert your .avi files or whatever back into their original rar set? That's just silly.

td4guy
Jun 13, 2005

I always hated that guy.

A friend and I just ran into five separate ~8GB posts tonight that were all completely neutered by DMCA requests on Giganews/Supernews. Like each 100MB rar came out to be maybe 1 to 5MB, if they existed at all. I think I'm gonna switch to Astraweb over this.

td4guy
Jun 13, 2005

I always hated that guy.

Thermopyle posted:

What's your problem with using a block account to fill?
The problem is that nearly entire multi-gigabyte articles are being taken down, rather than just 10-20% of them or whatever. So overall you end up using your backup block account as much as you use your primary unlimited account. Which is, I dunno, half as economical.

And that's assuming it wasn't taken down from the block account provider as well.

td4guy
Jun 13, 2005

I always hated that guy.

She's just not familiar with the concept of disk caching, that's all.

td4guy
Jun 13, 2005

I always hated that guy.

inpheaux posted:

and some obscure providers that primarily serve mainland Europe.
Any idea about how hard these guys are hit by DMCA takedowns, compared to everyone else?

td4guy
Jun 13, 2005

I always hated that guy.

Just go to Config -> Folders and read the .nzb Backup Folder thing.

td4guy
Jun 13, 2005

I always hated that guy.

FISHMANPET posted:

How big is 720p stuff supposed to be?

I know with Xvid a 30 minute show is going to be 175 MB, and it scales from there, though that's because people are encoding for size and not quality.

Is there any such guidelines for HD stuff, or is it targeted at a quality and size be damned? There's some stuff that's 4GB an hour and that makes me :psyduck:
There are guidelines for encoding HD stuff. Nowadays it's very common for encoders to use something called CRF, which keeps a consistent image quality, rather than a consistent bitrate (and consequently, file size).

FISHMANPET posted:

Is a Bluray source bigger than a TV source? That's what I'm seeing.
Yes. The vast majority of HDTV broadcasts (especially in the U.S.) are kind of mediocre quality. The film grain and detail is cut down a lot by the low bitrate mpeg2 broadcasts. So when the videos are encoded, the image is less complicated and so a lower bitrate will preserve the quality decently enough.

Blu-rays, on the other hand, are usually of very high quality with a lot more film grain and detail, and require a much higher video bitrate in order to preserve that when re-encoding it.

td4guy
Jun 13, 2005

I always hated that guy.

Looks like people are starting to get fed up with the DMCA takedowns on major providers. This is the front page of the NZBsRus indexing site right now:

td4guy
Jun 13, 2005

I always hated that guy.

LaserWash posted:

What should I do if I live in an area with them as basically my only option (dsl sucks)?
Yes, DSL sucks. But it's often unlimited.

td4guy
Jun 13, 2005

I always hated that guy.

If it's failing a PAR repair, then there's nothing you can do.

Why didn't you just use the built-in par reparing in SABnzbd?

td4guy
Jun 13, 2005

I always hated that guy.

BlackRider posted:

Looks like Blocknews is completely down (including their website).
Blocknews is up for me and their faq website and twitter feed don't mention any downtime.

Boris Galerkin posted:

When I'm downloading something and it failed to repair cause I'm just missing a measly 7 MB of 3+ GB, what can I do about it?
Spend $2.75 at Blocknews, add it as a backup server, and try repairing again? I think that's how it works nowadays.

td4guy
Jun 13, 2005

I always hated that guy.

TreFitty posted:

For no reason (I didn't change anything) I started seeing news.eu(something).supernews.com in the status, but I didn't notice it before. They decided that I was closer to Europe than America, so suddenly I was using the European servers from Korea, which caused a slow down. I saw this once before almost 2 years ago (still when I was in Korea), but forgot that it had happened. Now I seem to be back on the American servers even though it's still resolving like above because I'm getting ~4.5 MB/sec again.
Can you specify the American server IP address rather than news.supernews.com or whatever?

td4guy
Jun 13, 2005

I always hated that guy.

B-Nasty posted:

BTW, with all this ISP piracy talk, it's worth noting that Matrix and nzbs.org support https, it just isn't the default. Probably a good idea to make sure your nzbs and newgroup servers are all SSL if they aren't already.
Nobody's sniffing your traffic to detect copyright infringement, bro.

td4guy
Jun 13, 2005

I always hated that guy.

bort posted:

One other thing to note: Blocknews allows account sharing, and since backup server usage is pretty sporadic with an unlimited plan, pooling your resources with a friend can be cost-effective for your backup plan.
Pretty much all block account plans on any provider will allow you to account share. They don't care, because you paid for a specific amount of bandwidth. It's the unlimited accounts that are always limited to one IP address at a time.

td4guy
Jun 13, 2005

I always hated that guy.

wolrah posted:

I always thought it was the result of someone typoing 1080p in a script.

Why the hell would anyone call 1440x600 810p? That'd be 600p.
720p is 1280x720. Vertical resolution is being discarded if a movie is shot at a 2.35:1 aspect ratio, so that 720p movie would be at a resolution of 1280x544.

Displaying a 1280x544 picture on the common 1440x600 screen size is just a bit too much upscaling, in their opinion, I guess.

1440x600 (2.4:1) is quite close to 2.35:1. So they are encoding such movies at the slightly higher resolution so that they get the best possible quality on their laptop screens.

In the end, they're watching movies on their laptops, which is just silly I think.

td4guy
Jun 13, 2005

I always hated that guy.

kill your idols posted:

Trying out a trial of Supernews since its 12 bucks a month. What port is everyone with an account with them using for SSL? 443 or 119?
http://www.supernews.com/super-special/

$9.99/mo, buddy.

td4guy
Jun 13, 2005

I always hated that guy.

modeski posted:

Just out of interest, what's a good place to go to find out about current and upcoming TV shows? Now that I'm no longer torrenting I find I'm not aware of what's around. Never had satellite/cable and I haven't watched 'television' for about 12 years. Not in the UK now so can't by the Radio Times, which is a shame.
http://www.pogdesign.co.uk/cat/

td4guy
Jun 13, 2005

I always hated that guy.

Boris Galerkin posted:

What's the difference between x264 and h264? HD and HD+?
x264 is an h264 encoder. Releases are labeled as x264 to advertise that "we're using the best h264 video encoder in the world".

If something is not labeled x264, then it's probably either ripped from iTunes or is a full untouched Blu-ray.

td4guy
Jun 13, 2005

I always hated that guy.

TraderStav posted:

IMO as many as you can as they are continually shutting down over the years.
Haha, speaking of that, NZBsRUs recently had their PayPal account suspended so they're only accepting bitcoins at the moment.

I give 'em two months.

td4guy
Jun 13, 2005

I always hated that guy.

Yeah, that should work fine.

td4guy
Jun 13, 2005

I always hated that guy.

I think that sounds like a great idea.

td4guy
Jun 13, 2005

I always hated that guy.

Individual connections sometimes time out, so SABnzbd tries to open a new connection. But it hasn't timed out yet on Astraweb's end. This is normal.

The solution is to set your max to 17 or 18 or 19 to compensate. Or leave it at 20 and just ignore the error messages.

td4guy
Jun 13, 2005

I always hated that guy.

With the loss of Newzbin2, are NZBIndex and Binsearch the only two decent raw search engines now?

td4guy
Jun 13, 2005

I always hated that guy.

EC posted:

Is Astraweb a reseller of Blockbews, or vice versa? I can never keep these guys straight.
Refer to this chart.

td4guy
Jun 13, 2005

I always hated that guy.

Comments are visible to VIPs only, I guess. I have a clickable comments count in that Stats column there.

td4guy
Jun 13, 2005

I always hated that guy.

hayden. posted:

I assume they just scrubbed some non-premium accounts.
That's exactly what happened, no doubt.

td4guy
Jun 13, 2005

I always hated that guy.

Telex posted:

In an unrelated topic, has anyone heard of nzb.su doing anything sketchy lately?

I sent an invite to a friend, they signed up for VIP and now the site won't let them log in and says the email address isn't in the site.

Do they even read emails to root@nzb.su ? I've told her to email and see what's up, but it seems real weird that as soon as she paid for VIP that it locked her out.
Try asking in their help forum. http://nzb.su/board/forum/Report+a+Problem/3/

td4guy
Jun 13, 2005

I always hated that guy.

Vykk.Draygo posted:

Charter has Usenet service? And it works well enough that you used 5 gb of it at some point?
Looks like Charter actually shut down their service one year ago.

td4guy
Jun 13, 2005

I always hated that guy.

cr0y posted:

Any idea why certain downloads from supernews max out my connection and others (older stuff) only utilize about 50%? Do older articles get put in some lower performing category or something?
I've noticed the same behavior on many-years-old articles on Giganews.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

td4guy
Jun 13, 2005

I always hated that guy.

Smeep posted:

I'm seeing that all over the place.

That's because that's how they're actually posted to Usenet now. Helps to defeat automated copyright takedown stuff.