Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

I believe in all the ways that they say you can lose your body
Fallen Rib

Asphalt Engine posted:

Some days, the only reason I keep reading comics is because Superman and Lois Lane are deeply and truly in love. I really do believe that if some comic guy tries to pull an OMIT and retcon the two of them into singledom. I'll probably just stop reading then and there.

Story's from the Superman 80-Page Giant #2, I believe.

This image from Allstar Superman (trade 1 - dunno the single issue number) always gets me. It's just one of the most romantic pictures I have ever seen in comics. Supes gives Lane his powers for a day and at the end of the day they share a kiss on the moon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

KittenofDoom posted:

I'm not arguing against flying people in leotards, I'm saying that selectively ignoring physics and reality to write your way out of a knot is lazy and contrived. It's like having Batman pull an Bat-Anti-Bullet spray out of his utility belt to avoid being shot in the face.

There ought to be a word for it. Kal-Ex Machina?

I like to think Batman walks around with Bat-Shark Repellant all the time. Just in case.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Magic Love Hose posted:

I'm not the world's biggest fan of Geoff Johns, but I have to admit: this might be the best thing he's ever written.

Mind posting the source for that?

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

RedMagus posted:

It's the last line that really hits me hard: "you did good kid"

Man I need to goto the comic store and pick up the last few issues now. I've avoided most comics since the 90s because I felt they no longer had good writing. I was wrong.

The last line with the image of Peter and Ben is what got me. I want to go home and re-read the entire run again. Bendis really did a great job with peter in Ultimate Spiderman and there were really a lot of high points.

edit: For context this is the image I was talking about. I think it is from a varient cover for the Death of Spiderman. Really a great image.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Rhyno posted:

Show me a recent die-cut cover smarty pants!

No don't, I can't handle the idea of those coming back.

While they might be lacking in chrome and 3-Dness there is a bit of a resurgence in the variant cover market.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

KittenofDoom posted:

Have they explained why the two scientist dudes didn't warn people anyways?

It shouldn't have been too hard for an interstellar civilization to load up a few busloads of people, right?

I don't know if it is the same in the new 52 but pre-52 it was pretty much Kryptonian hubris thinking that their world will never end.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
Want a better analogy? Imagine if a bunch of scientist say global warming is real and we better start looking for an alternate source of energy otherwise we are going to accelerate it or cause major catastrophic changes to the planet. Then a bunch of guys say "climate change isn't real". Bang.
In the case of Krypton I think that it was pretty much Kal-L dad going "the world is going to end and we are doomed" and Krypton saying we are leading such an awesome life that you are clearly a party-pooper.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
If anyone can post the backup story to Action Comics #13 (especially the last page) that would be great. It was really a great, touching story, especially for people who love dogs.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Gavok posted:

From Starman, though I can't remember the issue number. Solomon Grundy joined the cast and was strangely a lovable lug instead of a maliciously and violent monster. He gets along with the cast, but when in a hospital bed, he overhears Ted Knight discuss the time years ago Grundy killed his good friend. Horrified by these past actions, Grundy runs away and later reappears to save Jack Knight from a crumbling building.

Reminds me of that JLU episode where Grundy sacrifices himself and made Hawkgirl cried.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

TwoPair posted:

You're gonna have to significantly lower that timeframe, because the last decade still has things like Grounded, Identity Crisis, and Countdown. Injustice wishes it could touch that level of terrible.

So where does Ultimatum sit on that scale?

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Hellbunny posted:

As fantastic as these are (and that entire ...run? paperback? Collection?)they show pretty clearly supermans weakness: He's far to liberal for his own good. The fact that he reasons with dictator rather than overthrows them is pretty weird.

I think that you might have missed the point on this one. Superman isn't here to overthrow governments. That leads to a whole grey area of "...well it's okay if he overthrows a government that is outright evil but where does he draw the line...". All Superman wanted to do there make sure that no-one goes hungry again, not act as the world police officer. Basically he is saying that he isn't here to rule the world, us humans have got to learn to make things work ourselves. He will catch us if we fall (ie help us out every now and again) but he won't do the walking for us.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
It sounds like some posters want Superman to act like Bush did in the lead-up to the war in Iraq. Yeeeesh.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Uthor posted:

I always found this guy kinda sad.

Sandman 23

That whole thing was so well written that I spent an hour or so researching to see if Breschau actually existed

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Atmus posted:

It's probably another copy of Vlad Teppes or some such.

Yea it takes things from Vlad but Vlad wasn't the only sadistic ruler at the time. That kind of brutality was pretty much par for the course for most insane rulers throughout history. I would love to ask Gaiman who the true inspiration was.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
I think the reason the denzins of hell hate it even more is that the angels are punishing them with promises of hope and love (ie this punishment will hurt now but it will bring you one step closer to your redemption and love). However, this being hell, the people in hell know that this promise of hope and redemption is a lie, something that will never be achieved. It is there to provide false hope, a promise of an ending to their sufering only for it not to be realised at all, destroying hope at the same time promising it.
I guess if you want to picture it, imagine someone saying they are beating you badly but it will make you stronger and the beatings stop. This gives you hope, but the beatings just go on and on and on.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
Having never read the Lucifer series (I know I should) was the whole thing with the angels running hell ever addressed? Was there ever any confrontation? Did hell get better?

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Endless Mike posted:

I want to except for the whole DC trade department is terrible and it's going out of print.

I have noticed that a few of the second book stores in my neighbourhood have started selling second hand trade paperbacks (as in they are getting a lot of inventory). I have found quite a few out of print trades thanks to them.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
That Injustice part was...bad. I can understand the emotion of Batman losing his son (hell it just happened very recently) but the way it was executed in Injustice made it seem, well, stupid as gently caress.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

I am amazed by the amount of people who think like this nowadays. "I don't need universal health care, I never get sick!". That kind of thing. Come on. If it's good enough for Superman, it's good enough for you.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Fried Chicken posted:

http://imgur.com/gallery/tV19B

gallery of images about Mr Fantastic and a guy dying from cancer

My place just got very dusty all of a sudden. Yes. It's dust.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
Someone mind explaining Beasts of Burden? Is it "dogs exploring the supernatural" or something more than that?

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Spaceman Bill posted:

That's like the exact opposite of the final arc of Batman, Inc.

I think it the exact oppisite of Morrison's entire run.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Kammat posted:

Here ya go. from Sandman #54

That was my favourite issue of Sandman and it just a pure celebration of idealism.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

StumblyWumbly posted:

That was a Neal Adams Crazy story about Batman deciding to fight mortgage lenders or some poo poo. It was awesome. Most of the other stuff was more conventional but good, fun Batman.

Neal Adams truly has the best take on Batman.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Kellsterik posted:

Showed this panel to one of my friends as an example of a great depiction of Superman, he couldn't see it as anything but incredibly patronizing to have the Man of Steel be like "yep, all three of us are definitely on the same level here!"

Clearly your friend is dead inside. A shell of a person who once cared.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Archyduke posted:

I think the panel is kind of mawkish too. It has nothing to do with the sentiment or the idea of Superman honoring the dignity and humanity of people without super-powers. That's like half the premise of Morrison's Action Comics, which I liked a lot. If the writer and penciler didn't want to be patronizing, they wouldn't have drawn the cop as a chubby, wall-eyed dude reaching for his gun for no clear reason, and they wouldn't have written him with the kind of "aw, geez, aw, Myrtle" dialect that suggests the writer's closest impression of blue-collar speech is reruns of the Honeymooners.

The panel itself isn't about the cop having value or dignity that Superman recognizes. It's about Superman talking down to a dope. If the writer was interested in a moment of compassion and empathy, the cop wouldn't have just been a prop. He wouldn't need Superman's loving validation.

(now I feel like Lex Luthor..)

Why would you assume Superman would be talking down to anyone? Do you think Superman is the kind of person who becomes a condescending arsehole when he notices someones dialect.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Archyduke posted:

Because Superman's not real, and the cop isn't real either. A writer and an artist decided that the cop would look like that and say what he said, and they decided that Superman would respond in the way he did. If you're implying that Superman can't be written poorly, or with a sort of superior smugness that undercuts the astonishing humanism of Superman at his best, I have some bad news for you about J. Michael Straszcynski.

Yes he is a fictional character and we the reader can project whatever bias we have onto him. However, even though he can be very shittily written there is a base characterization of the the character that has been molded from decades of stories. To read a single panel of the character and immediately assume that Superman is being a condescending prick goes against any and all characterization the character has had.
As for Grounded, yea it sucked and was a lovely portrayel of the character but that is just one story out of many many stories.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Lurdiak posted:

Is that what you're seeing in this thread? Because I'm seeing like, 5 posts saying the panel isn't particularly touching after the topic of being unable to convince a non-Superman fan of its value was brought up, and many more posts of people reacting like their lineage and religion had been attacked, complete with calling people who disagree with them about comics "assholes" or "dead inside".

So, on-topic, Juston Seyfert is a kid who essentially has a pet Sentinel. He joined Avengers Academy and the Sentinel has made a lot of the mutant students and visitors very uncomfortable, especially since it sometimes yells about exterminating mutants, despite never acting violently and Juston's assurances that he's been reprogrammed. Despite the mistrust, Juston sticks by his friend.

One day, Phoenix-powered Emma Frost comes a-calling, seeking to eradicate the Sentinel as part of her mission to destroy every single Sentinel in the entire world. Considering her power level and the fact that we're talking about a genocidal robot, the Academy teachers tell Juston to let her do it, but Juston breaks down in tears and cries about how he loves the Sentinel. Just as Emma is about to nuke the thing, X-23, who knows what it's like to be treated as a disposable killing machine, jumps her while talking about free will, prompting the entire academy to dogpile Emma, telling her she has no right, etc.

They're still no match for a Phoenix host. She blasts the Sentinel, damaging it badly and hurting Juston, who was piloting it from the inside. The Sentinel realizes that Juston will continue to endanger himself to protect it from this overpowered enemy.

:(

As Juston breaks down in tears, Hank Pym tries to explain to Emma that being able to override its prime directive proves it was more than a machine, but she doesn't give a gently caress. X-23 promises to kill Emma the next time she sees her (which I unfortunately doubt will come to pass), and Emma flies off.

As the students and faculty try to cheer Juston up, Quicksilver calls them a bunch of over-dramatic nerds from off-panel.

:toot:

I was getting some serious "Iron Giant vibes" off that. I know it isn't a panel but when I get Iron Giant vibes I just have to see this again. It is one of the saddest things ever (involving a Superman reference even) and if you don't find it touching at all, well you are just dead inside.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

DarkCrawler posted:

But...he survived?

But you didn't know that when he uttered the name "Superman".

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Die Laughing posted:

Robert Redford was the best Death in the Twilight Zone episode Nothing in the Dark.

Was Neil Gaiman's Death worth a read? A kindly reaper is something most people want to believe in, I think.

Gaiman's Death is amazing and it's not just goth girls who think so.

Honestly, give the first mini a read (Death The High Cost of Living). The sequel was rather meh though.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Phy posted:

The first one or the second one?

It was a Matt Damon/Ben Affleck double team.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Jerusalem posted:

Oh you've seen the unrated cut of Good Will Hunting too?

The one with the alternate killing spree ending.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Rhyno posted:

You know, the only good part of the Jay & Silent Bob film is that scene.

"It's Hunting season."

I completely forgot about that movie (really I can't recall anything about it). I was referencing this:

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
One of things I love about a character like Luthor is that he really is a genius who can do all kinds of crazy amazing stuff but he is such an egotistical dick that he can't stand that there is someone out there better than him (depending how the writers treat him he also hates that an alien can take away from his achievements). If comics weren't ongoings but had a definite ending you could easily work in a villains redemption plot (that actually loving sticks instead of forgotten the next time some new writer wants to have the hero fight his old nemesis). One of my favourite takes on a villains (sort-of) redemption was the Riddler, who became a private investigator. It was such a great new take on the character that I was really pissed off when it was thrown away so he could become just another boring villain for Batman to fight again.
Really I quite love villains who aren't evil really, but just really get on the nerves of the heroes for whatever reason.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
It is an interesting dichotomy. Luthor possibly sees Superman as his equal (because of how much power he has) and can't possibly understand why a being like Superman would help others. The idea of ultruism is so completely void in Luthor that he can't comprehend a powerful being having feelings that he does not. In a way, Superman is more human than Luthor is.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Calaveron posted:

Goons, this will blow your loving minds:
All the dogs, cats, birds, and horses from your favorite childhood movies? All dead.

I don't know what you are talking about.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Skwirl posted:

But no one figured out who Batman is based on this information?

Luthor did!

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Jiro posted:

Some of us don't have the money to keep up with all the books. :(

Libraries are wonderful wonderful places.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Astro City-esque, and I mean that in the best way. Goddamn.

Before I saw where it was from, I thought it was from one of the latest issues of Astro City (I haven't read any of the Vertigo stuff yet).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Endless Mike posted:

Superman can't solve all of Batman's problems because he's busy dealing with things that actually require a Superman to solve. He can't actually be everywhere at once, and street crime is not something he's going to be dealing with often.

I seem to remember that being used as an excuse to why Superman didn't do poo poo during No Man's Land. He said something like while Batman was helping Gotham survive/rebuild he was protecting Gotham from outside forces that wanted to destroy it. In a way it goes back to his philosophy about not being there to save mankind, but being there to help mankind when it needs help.