Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Lurdiak posted:

I keep thinking of that Family Guy episode that ended exactly the same and it ruins the scene for me.

I kept thinking of some other sci-fi story I read about a guy that was plugged into some kind of war machine, sent out to a remote battlefield to save the world from an incoming alien threat. He succeeded, but the machinery was too badly damaged to return home for his hero's welcome, so the training system built into the ship and the AI that helped him constructed a similar happy ending life for him in the last few minutes he had before his brain died.

Basically what I'm saying is that it isn't a unique thing in any fiction at all and has been done to death, which is probably why there is a god drat Family Guy episode making fun of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Uthor posted:

I believe that was a Neil Gaiman written Matrix short story.

It was actually some crazy short story in one of those Sci-Fi short stories collections I have from the 1980s. Long before the Matrix was even a thing.

The story linked above isn't the same one, the one I'm remembering wasn't told in the first person, for one. I'll try to find it next chance I get to dig through my storage boxes of old books like that and post the title/author.

Some Pinko Commie fucked around with this message at 06:11 on Dec 19, 2011

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!
You know, because it's not like Waterhaul quoted who those panels were in response to or anything.

Nope, just some panels out of nowhere.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

StumblyWumbly posted:

Only way I can see Parker coming back is if Didio takes over Marvel.

It'll be a clone coming over from 616. Wait and see.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

I like the ice burn Alfred lays on Supes there at the end. Who are these characters?

Alfred is the final boss, with a double-barrel shotgun loaded with whatever materials are needed to one-shot anyone he is fighting.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Alhazred posted:

Hell in the DC universe is a little bit more hardcore:

Hell in the DC universe is also where people want to go because they believe they deserve to be punished, if the bits of it we see in Sandman are any indicator.

Which would say all kinds of things about the panel you posted.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

bobkatt013 posted:

They can also be sent there if they refuse to love an endless. That was such a dick move.

Having Death call Dream out on that poo poo was pretty good, though.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

NutShellBill posted:

You should watch the TV show Leverage. You pretty much nailed the concept, only it's essentially 5 reformed criminals taking on the role of Batman.

Why would you do this? That show is almost as terrible as NCIS: LA.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

W.T. Fits posted:

Reed Richards: Father of the Year :allears:

I was getting some Professor Impossible vibes from that.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!
"Long-hair music"?

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

redbackground posted:

What the hell.

Bloody hell, you mean.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!
I'm getting a bigger laugh out of Thou Wouldst Not Dare in response to her saying she'd go out with Hercules if Thor tried to magically heal her.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!
Also, as someone that's been on chemo, yeah, that hair loss is about right if her treatment was like mine. It was pretty freaky how rapidly it came out once it did start to turn loose. I literally woke up one morning with all of my hair that was in contact with my pillow staying behind on the pillow (eyebrow and all) and knocking wads of hair onto the floor when I ran my hand over my head trying to figure out what the gently caress that morning.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!
Is that a ghost Ben Franklin?

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!
Well, to be fair, after a certain point wouldn't you get tired of the bullshit and start curb stomping threats instead of holding back?

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Acne Rain posted:

In this same vein, Kup and Shitpeice are also different characters instead of another such renaming.

Wait, wasn't "Shitpiece" just a gag from the blooper video, or are you telling me that actually made it to the air in a children's cartoon?

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!
I don't see any bug?

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Rhyno posted:

That's not how Superman's hearing powers work. His hearing is accelerated.

Yeah, figure that out.

I remember seeing something in some comic about Superman actually having a telepathic sensitivity to everything going on that he perceives as "hearing" something happening. It's why he picks up on people screaming specifically for his help, places where he's needed even when nobody is screaming, etc.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

ManiacClown posted:

Not having paid attention to the franchise in quite some time, I don't know if this is a joke I should go with by posting shocked Vegeta or if you're serious.

Basically Skynet's defense system at a system core, to defend it against direct infantry assault, not a stand-alone unit.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Phylodox posted:

I liked Spider-Ock, but because of Efrem Zimbalist Jr. I couldn't not read all of his lines in a thick German accent, which made it hard to believe anyone wouldn't realize it's not Peter immediately.

My favorite Spider-Ock moment was when he was working with Magneto on destroying some base or other and was all "What do you know about wrongful persecution?!" and Magneto said "Actually, I'm a survivor of the Holocaust." and Spider-Ock's reaction frame.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

CzarChasm posted:

Didn't Wolverine catch on pretty quickly and tries to get Emma or one of the other telepaths to read him and SpOck manages to avoid it by making some joke?

Yeah, he tried arguing about privacy rights/whatever then went to talking about imagining said telepaths naked/having sex with them/each other and they walk off disgusted.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

redbackground posted:

The Kingdom Come Companion! I've been keeping an eye out for a physical copy for a long time without paying a whole lot for it. DC had the book pulled almost immediately so it's also a rarer find.

You mean this?

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Lurdiak posted:

That's why Spider-man cops are the most realistic to me. They just shoot at the hero all the time, no questions asked.

To be fair, who wouldn't shoot at a gigantic red and blue spider?

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!
I don't know where this gallery is from, but drat.

http://imgur.com/gallery/wTnQF

EDIT:

It is basically the story of an X-man named ForgetMeNot stopping a rape victim from committing suicide.

Some Pinko Commie fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Jun 23, 2016

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

AnonSpore posted:

Who the gently caress installs inescapable lethal traps around a school

Well, technically not inescapable, you just have to stop wanting to get in (seems like it'd be pretty easy to get out of in that case though).

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Calaveron posted:

Yeah, it's really hard to have touching and inspiring xmen moments because of what the gently caress kind of situations they get in

Yeah, it kind of falls apart when the X-man saving someone from elaborate suicide commits elaborate suicide doing so, but still.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Threep posted:

"Why should today be any different?"

And then Megatron decides to go hang out in the badass panel thread

Imagine my disappointment when this didn't turn out to be literally true when I checked.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Gaz-L posted:

That's such bad odds.

They need more Decepticons to fight Megatron.

Yeah, especially when things like this were happening a lot in that specific issue.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

JohnnyCanuck posted:

Oh look they're bringing Headmasters back :downs:

That's actually a new character introduced in More Than Meets The Eye named Tailgate. He was a pre-war waste disposal bot that was basically in a hibernating state and missed the whole thing, spent most of the series so far being scared of everything until he was put under the stress of finding out someone he loved was being brutally killed and went the Transformers-equivalent of Super-Saiyan (radically increased strength, invulnerability, speed, etc.).

I don't remember the name of the bot whose head he just took, but he was part of the Decepticon Justice Division (the worst of the worst, who went around punishing Decepticons that deserted; basically, a group that nobody wants to gently caress with).

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Zeroisanumber posted:

KC Superman is one of the most powerful Supermen though. IIRC, they had him show up in the JLA and his younger counterpart broke his hand cracking KC Superman across the jaw.

Lex Luthor said something about KC Superman having absorbed so much solar radiation that he's become immune to Kryptonite, which leaves only magical artifacts/magical entities as things he's vulnerable to on top of KC Superman being so much ridiculously higher powered than the Superman we're used to reading about in regular continuity comics.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Sigma-X posted:

Yeah sorry, didn't mean anything by your mom or anything. I'm in the process of flying back home after helping my mom take care of everything. I'm kind of finally falling out of the "help mom" time warp and spending $9 on a corona isn't helping.

Glad to hear your mom beat it! That's not an option for multiple myeloma and I'm just lashing out unfairly.

But seriously I think the notion of Jane being super loving weak under chemo and then being a loving superhero and having to make that kind of choice just rings real loving hollow for me. Like there's a loving choice for people. Like you can be strong at the very end if you just loving will it. Like as if somehow the entire cruelty of cancer isn't seeing your heroes struck powerless and unable.

I'm sure that's not the point the author is trying to make, but again, if I felt they were capable of executing on the idea well I wouldn't take umbrage in the first place.

The point is that she doesn't really have a choice.

She can only be Thor when she's doing it for a "worthy" reason and "trying to avoid dying, personally" is pretty much the opposite of what that hammer would have in it as a qualifier for what is a "worthy" action.

Also the cost of becoming Thor is that any benefit she would otherwise get from her treatment is nullified when she transforms back and forth.

So she can undergo her treatments, possibly get better via medical science and have to sit around doing nothing when she knows whatever thing is happening that Thor could do something about.

Or she loses ground with her disease, takes up the hammer and does things to make the lives of others better/protect other people.

Jane Foster is going to die of her cancer unless some other MacGuffin comes along to save her (still possible given how cheap editors are about this sort of thing) but doing that would have to be against her own wishes given that she had told Odinson back when she first got her cancer diagnosis that unless he was going to make whatever he used to cure her available to every single human being, she didn't want it.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Chocolate Teapot posted:

It's almost like it was written without any particular understanding of how cancer or the treatment thereof works, but instead hinges on the whole cancer "culture" that is a loving disgrace.

How, exactly?

Because my understanding of how cancer treatment works (having gone through some of it for my own weak-sauce extremely common and easily treated cancer) is basically "Try to remove it surgically. If that fails, some combination of chemotherapy and radiation that basically depends on you being healthier than the tumor we're poisoning. Also fingers crossed that the chemicals and radiation we use don't cause even more cancer for you later (or kill you outright on its own)! If none of this works you're basically hosed. Oh and good luck getting your health insurance to pay for any of this and enjoy spending the remainder of your life paying for the treatments."

I'll agree with finding most of the "cancer culture" a bit disgraceful (nobody actually "fights" cancer, you endure the punishing treatments and hope you were otherwise in good enough health to survive while the tumors die and your body struggles to purge the poisonous chemicals if/when the treatments succeed in getting rid of the cancer). Yes, it costs money to pay for research and treatments, but for gently caress's sake stop campaigning as if raising X million dollars is ever going to get rid of it.

There will never be a silver-bullet cure for cancer.

Back to Jane-Thor though, there are a lot of not-Thor moments being glossed over when people post panels of Jane doing Thor Things that skip over all the other stuff she does as vanilla mortal cancer patient, too (which you aren't seeing because you aren't actually reading the comics they come from).

quote:

It's cheap as gently caress, and makes even less sense in a world populated by super scientists with God-like capabilities.

On this point I'll just have to point you back to Jane being stubborn about telling the people offering to cure her that unless they were going to cure everyone else that had cancer she didn't want their help.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Chocolate Teapot posted:

I knew I'd seen a panel relative to the stubbornness before. I mean, if I could take an easy way out of the numerous horrible conditions I've got (including cancer, for which I'm partway through chemo) without any negative consequences, I'd jump at them no question. I imagine that the trade-off in her position would be that she doesn't get to be Thor any more, but that's not something relative to any real-world analogue. Unless losing the characteristic of being frustratingly stubborn is some kind of loss.

To be fair, you don't have wizards and literal gods offering to cure you (one of them literally a god you used to date), either.

This isn't the conversation I remember her having with someone else about it, but here is where she tells Thor not to go looking for a magical cure for her.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Sigma-X posted:

lots of people. There is a general pop culture understanding that A) Cancer is a thing that kills, but strong hero fighters can beat it, B) All chemo causes you to lose your hair, and you must wear a lovely bandana, C) cancer is a noble and dignified death with long stretches of just looking gray and wearing that bandana and being skinny because of cancer, and the most important part D) Cancer is generic and all cancers are the same.

And that's as deep as it gets, and that's what is being portrayed here:

"hmm yes I have decided that I don't want to exhaust every option to live any longer, a decision that every cancer patient will relate to!"

I've already copped to hating A, my experience with B is true and I had the cancer that is to Cancer what Dane Cook is to stand-up comedians (testicular) except I didn't bother with a bandana because I gave/give zero fucks about being chemo bald.

Between being chemo bald and the stupid IV... thing... that I had to keep in a vein all week with anti-coagulant between treatment days (because of all the things to save money on *that* is the thing to keep going, the loving IV needle that was in a vein), which would always, always loving catch on something when sitting down or standing up or doing anything that wasn't being as still as loving possible because it was in my forearm or on the back of my hand.

I didn't "qualify" for a port because insurance didn't cover it and it wasn't expected that I would have to undergo chemo for that long of a time period for the surgery to be worth doing. Not that I'm complaining there because the idea of an implant specifically running a direct line to my heart for the chemo drugs to be pumped into was a bit scary.

"Chemo brain" was the loving worst though. Physical pain and nausea and random sores and baldness and a never-ending high-pitched ringing in your ears and continuously feeling like your bones are on fire are one thing, realizing you've lost hours of your day staring at a page in a book because you can't focus enough to read is loving awful.

C isn't exactly ever something I've seen portrayed anywhere. Everything I've seen about it in movies and comics says it's the most excruciating loving way to die short of literally being tortured to death over several years by one of Darkseid's minions or something. It is never dignified or noble in itself, it's the characters facing it and how they confront it that may make it seem that way, but the actual death? No.

As far as D goes, that kind of ties back into A.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Sigma-X posted:

"No, my magical friend, I do not want to cure my life threatening illness" is loving retarded. Especially when it isn't "No, my magical friend, $cost is too high for the magical cure" but rather "don't even loving look for anything Thor, I'm cool with breast cancer"

"The cost for magical cures are always too high" is pretty explicitly the initial argument Jane Foster makes.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Sigma-X posted:

can we just get to the point where we agree that there is no amount of words that can be typed that is going to change my opinion on this being a badly written cancer story?

If there is a good story that can be told about a superhero that lives in a world full of science wizards, actual wizards, and a billion magical and technological healing artifacts getting a life threatening disease, it does not go "I will let the doctors take care of it."

Like, this is the most easily treatable cancer and one that she's in the early stages of treatment for so there's a ridiculously high chance of success, especially since she hasn't talked about it having spread anywhere, so really the only danger she's facing right now is her decision to go fishing or dig a well instead of doing that a year from now or calling any of her hundred billion superfriends to go loving do it for her so she doesn't undo the treatment she's trusting in.

The whole thing is as stupid as Wakanda holding back the cure for cancer. It is as dumbly and as poorly written.

Yeah, except for this forgetting all of the times Jane Foster has personally witnessed magical healing deals for otherwise lethal maladies going horribly bad and resulting in an apocalypse that had to be dealt with, undoing the cure in the process.

I know you're wanting to act like this particular cancer story happens in a vacuum but saying Jane Foster ought to be the character to sit there and do an exposition dump about all of the scenarios where the solution Thor suggests is exactly the wrong move to make in the universe they live in is even more idiotic than you think the story is.

EDIT:

I mean, this is Jane Foster we're talking about. The woman that became a norse goddess when she went to Asgard with Thor in Journey into Mystery #125 in 1966.

She briefly gained immortality, then lost it when cosmic rear end in a top hat Odin took her power away and sent her back to Earth because she showed fear when called upon to fight off some entity called (I poo poo you not) The Monstrous Unknown.

Jane's been screwed over by Odin many times over the course of her existence (the whole being stripped of her immortality and sent back to Earth is just the tip of the iceberg), so her being reluctant to accept any help from the pantheon Thor would turn to (which would ultimately involve Odin at some point) makes a hell of a lot of sense if you know anything about her history.

Some Pinko Commie fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Sep 27, 2016

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Sigma-X posted:

poo poo, you're right. A tremendous masterpiece, let's start teaching this in schools

Hey I'm going to just ignore context in a discussion of a character's motivations because they don't align with how I'd act if I was in their situation with my own personal history to draw upon.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

FAT BATMAN posted:

Has the scene from JLA: Trial By Fire where Batman talks to Patrick O'Brian about helping him save the world been posted before? I really liked it, especially the exchange he has with his son at the end of it.

Yeah, I'd love to see this myself. I know it's out there but my Google-fu is weak and all I get is where he's fighting the Martian Manhunter when he went insane.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

WickedHate posted:

I don't think the All Star Superman one is an over simplification or anything. He doesn't cure Reagan's depression, he just steps in and gives a powerful message that someone cares, especially powerful given who he is and how relatively minor an event that is in the grand scheme of things, but he's still taking the time to reach out to her.

Suicide is an impulsive act and I think the bit in rear end is more about reaching out in that particular moment than making everything better for the rest of her life.

I think that moment may have been done slightly better in the JSA run where Kingdom Come Superman was transported into their world right as the nuke went off in Kingdom Come and his first action while everyone was freaking out about him showing up was to run outside and stop someone from committing suicide.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

WickedHate posted:

I'm not saying the Deadpool one is bad, and I like it a lot. Just put off slightly by the vibe that rear end did it wrong.

Well, it's a little off-putting in that no matter how it's handled in a Superman comic, there is no Superman for suicidal people in the real world.

Meanwhile, as flawed and hosed up as Deadpool is, he took the time to distract a suicidal person while arranging for an opportunity for them to get help somewhere, and offered to go through it with them.

That is a huge difference from the magical/super-science solution.