Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

SUBLIME! posted:

Man, Y the Last Man was so good, more than it had any right to be.

BKV's next big story, Ex-Machina, was a different beast, but it's also pretty dear to me. Jesus, that final issue. I had never seen an ending that could change so much the way I regarded a character that we had been following for years. It was the most rage-inducing thing ever, and it was brilliant all at the same time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

Angel and Psylocke have been a thing since the goddamn 90's. This scene didn't come out of the left field.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

I see an artist who loved doing what he did, falling asleep after another day of tirelessing giving life to so many great characters, who all look at him proudly as he rests on for another day that will bring new stories.

You can see exploitation in anything if your mind is set in finding it; it's a dog eat dog world as some say. However, I don't think (nor do I want to) that this is one of those cases.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

I loved Ex Machina up until the final issue, which left me with a sick, sour taste in my mouth.

I'd argue that it was the right ending for that story. Every plot point from Hundred's possible repressed homosexuality to the whole "is he being manipulated by the other dimension or is his conquering nature guiding him", questions that have been constantly in the background even if vaguely, they get the spotlight at the end and, while they are not outright answered, they are given a conclusion that do not undermine the story -- because it leaves you to decide what in the end it all meant. Was Hundred always trying to do the right thing? Or merely pretending to do so? Did he lose himself in the end? Will he try to do good from within the system? Or is it just the start of a power grab for something more sinister?

The ending of Ex-Machina is even more powerful when compared to those panels of Superman trying to feed the world. In the end, Superman is faced with a choice and so was Hundred. It is up to you to decide if both of those choices were right or wrong and how they will affect your life.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

Mister Roboto posted:

I'd post some The Boys panels if I had any handy, Ennis brutally takes down the idea that any Superhero could possibly lead to a functional government.

Please do, either you or someone else. I never read The Boys and that would be a good way to see if it's worth dipping on it.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

Fuego Fish posted:

Transformers: More Than Meets The Eye #15. Rewind and Chromedome's last moments together. They may be robots (in disguise), but it still tugs on the heartstrings a li'l bit :smith:

This is a great moment but may fall flat for others without context. This is about a group of Transformers lost in space. One of the crew, Chromedome, has done a bad thing, unleashing an unstoppable killing machine that was sleeping inside the ship, causing the death of some of the crew members. In the end, they manage to wrestle the killing machine into an escape pod, but Rewind, Chromedome's only friend stays behind to close the pod.

The following page ends the two part arch with Chromedome, knowing the killing machine in an act of revenge for the bad thing Chromedome did, had promised to break apart Rewind slowly when given the chance. Without the rest of the crew knowing of his own involvement in this whole mess, Chromedome rushes toward the weapon system and fires it all at the escape pod to spare Rewind.

More Than Meets the Eye is a small series and probably some of the best stuff written about the Transformers in probably forever. Highly recommended.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

RyuujinBlueZ posted:

Oh man, I kind of want that as an avatar.

Knock yourself out.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

Madkal posted:

Is it "dogs exploring the supernatural"?

Dogs and cats exploring the supernatural. It's not Eisner material or anything, but it's rather good for what it is.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

James Roberts really is the writer the Transformers fandom does not deserve. Here's some of the preceding pages to establish a bit more context.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

It would be a funny prank, except it happened when Quicksilver decided his daughter couldn't be human and planned to expose her to the mists, triggering these scenes:

Which at least are a good fit for this thread.

(not entirely sure on the source of this comic except it came out in 1983; X-Factor is #71 from 1991)

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

MTMTE's plot could be written with other characters other than 'formers, but honestly there's so many little easter eggs and small details for people who have been following this dumb franchise for so long that it shows the writer likes and knows the universe. MTMTE can still be read by anyone who isn't into Transformers -- it's more about the comedy, horror, and psychological thriller of a group of dysfunctional individuals and that works for anyone who cares about good stories.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

Your image's address is mangled. Here:

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

Hey Godzilla thread, what are some touching or inspiring comic panels that you like?

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

Groot #4 was the best thing I read in a month. It was both hilarious and uplifting.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

Spider-Man and the X-Men was too beautiful for this world. Also the only worthwhile thing to come out of a X-Men comic in like two or three years. It's been dire.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

That issue loses a lot of what makes it great with just those few panels. "More than Meets the Eye" is top 5 for me every month since it started (if not higher). Please read it even if you never cared about dumb robots who change into cars, it's really, really good.

For context on that particular scene, a bunch of army deserters now called Scavengers find themselves in the wrong place just as this Fortress Maximus guy, now a dangerous vigilant, arrives on the scene, kills the slaver dude he is talking about on those panels, then tries to kill/arrest the deserters. Hijinks follow and the Scavengers, in an attempt to run the hell out of there, end up convincing Fortress Maximus that they planted a bomb that will kill all those roboid slaves. It helps that one of the Scavengers had vandalized Transformers Wikipedia presenting them as an actual threat (they aren't, they are just a band of losers) while one of them has the greatest poker face in history what with occasionally suffering from facial paralysis due to a head wound.

One of the Scavengers is a rather dumb guy who also happens to have surgeon hands (a very rare trait in Cybertronians) and he's the one who leaves that farewell message to Maximus so the latter knows that not only have they fooled him but that the roboids can actually be saved. Maximus thus learns to stop judging things by appearance so he will likely be less trigger-happy in the future. Happy ending for everyone involved.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

Toshimo posted:

If I wanted to start reading, do I just start at MtMtE #1?

That works fine. Just have a passing knowledge that there's some robots, they transform into things, there's two factions, they were at war for four billion years and now the war's over and this book tells the outcome.

Toshimo posted:

Also, is MtMtE the one with the robot that recorded his message in clip show form?

Yes!

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

MTME is just awesome and I can't stop gushing about it.

One page is all serious and a good contribution to this thread:

Then the one after is just hilarious:

The juxtaposition of serious and funny is always well done.

(both pages, still MTME #46)

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

Man, I looooove this scene.

A bit more context: this is Megatron which even people only remotely aware of the franchise will have heard about. He's always the cackling, evil maniac. Here he's stuck traveling with his sworn enemies and he's slowly coming to terms to the fact he was so absorbed in the means to the end that after millions of years that poo poo piled up massively. The Necrobot had just explained that each statue had at least one flower by them because there are no innocent soldiers in war and that each flower was composed by traces of energy of several dead Cybertronians -- there were no more than six or seven in every statue shown throughout that comic, until that last page.

Megatron is one of the best things about MTMTE and he's merely a recent addition to the cast.

You know what other issue would fit perfectly here? #40, except you'd have to post the whole thing. It's just an important cast member leaving the book, but in the process of leaving he solves quite a few woes of the other crew members because that's the sort of thing he does. It's an awesome farewell story that manages to be pretty touching and inspiring in the process.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

Poison Mushroom posted:

Where would I start if I wanted to get into reading all these really loving good Transformers comics?

Transformers More Than Meets The Eye issue number 1.

Available on Amazon on trades/Kindle or digital on Comixology.

Also, don't fret if you find it a bit overwhelming at the start because the book juggles a big cast. Give it about three issues to see if it works for you as you start memorizing who's who.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

Jesus motherfuckin' Christ, that issue. I'm still aghast. It started so groan-inducing and then it got turned around on its head completely and my jaw dropped and never came back up and dang. loving hell. Everyone read MTMTE. Please.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

lowercase16 posted:

Because when one dude doesn't recognize another dude even though the other due was his psychiatrist for six thousand years it kind of beggars belief. And later, a different dude says, "Finally, someone I recognize!" after being in stasis for six million years. What?! How?

It's two different things, actually.

The psychiatrist one is a in-comic, long running joke that nobody ever notices Rung is there or acknowledges him much, but specifically on that one part, Red Alert who is a paranoid freak is pretending not to know Rung.

The other is about the little bot who stayed in stasis for six million years. Six million years ago the only one of the Lost Light's crew that existed was Cyclonus, who was a national hero for being part of the First Ark's crew. That's how the little dude recognized the latter.

Regarding the time scale, most of the characters you will meet were born/created before or after the great war started, four million years ago. This date is important and will kept being referenced.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

Anyway, the hardest problem with the comic is the huge cast, no debate about it, but people who stick with will memorize most of the characters fast. At the start you need to know only these:

* Rodimus, the moronic ship captain and his two in command:
* Ultramagnus, huge battle bot that used to be a space cop
* Drift, former enemy now reformed, who believes in a bunch of spiritual mumbo jumbo
* Chromedome and Rewind, they are a couple
* Whirl, troublemaker on the extreme
* Ratchet, the ship's medic and one of the oldest in the crew

As you keep track of those above you will end up recognizing some of the others sooner or later:
* Tailgate, the little bot who spent six million years in statis
* Swerve, a really annoying hyperactive guy
* Skids, mysterious bot with some sort of secret agent past
* Cyclonus, thought to be an enemy, but just a guy who's not adjusting to modern reality
* Brainstorm, arrogant weapon maker who's an old friend of Chromedome

That's 12 people. There will be more of course, but it's a 40+ issues series so they will be introduced properly in time. It's the start that is a bit bumpy. Please keep at it.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

It's been posted before, that's all. It's still a pretty strong character moment.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

They have been at war for sixteen million years. Six-teen! That's ridiculous. That's a ridiculous number.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

Yeah, well, even though it's kind of not in the topic of this thread, a good laugh is still good for ya, so:

Also, even though it's just a few pages gag it will come to bite them in their robotic butts both in the same issue and later on.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

Anyway, more in line with this thread, the following are the last pages of Mark Waid's awesome run on Daredevil and I don't remember ever seeing them here:

I hope that in years from now people will refer to this run of the character as defining as Frank Miller's, because it was really, really good and worthy of such accolades.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

Choco1980 posted:

All I know about Transformers I know from the 80s cartoon and movie. So I'm pretty confused seeing the multiple panels referencing Megatron and Galvatron as two different people. What's up wit dat? I guess is what I'm asking.

Not a stupid question since most people just remember the cartoon, but in comics continuity, even before IDW, those two have always been different characters.

Megatron was a miner that questioned the class system the cybertronians were forced into, where those who weren't part of the scientific class were pretty much garbage. He's basically Karl Marx and Lenin rolled in one character.

Galvatron is an ancient warrior before all of the above. He took off the planet with the Prime of his time, Nominus, in what would be the first attempt to subjugate other races in the universe as a plan for expansion/conquest. Instead he and his crew got stuck on something called the Dead Universe(tm) and stayed there until recently.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

Hickman's FF run is still the best FF run that wasn't Mark Waid's and Kirby's.

Milotic posted:

Oh boy, is my face red.

It shouldn't. That panel was presented without any context and for people unfamiliar its meaning is completely alien.

MTMTE #50 is one of the most gutwrenching things I've ever read, though, no joke. It's a rollercoaster of emotions and the culmination of a really long run.

I'm going to edit this post post underneath in a few minutes with a couple of panel choices from that issue just after I install something that can cut images.

Saoshyant fucked around with this message at 00:44 on Mar 15, 2016

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

All right, so it starts pretty. Our heroes take a detour, save some alien race.

And Megatron, the franchise's villain, has pretty much redeemed himself by now. Turned into a pacifist, works hard to build a new future together with his ship's crew.

And of course just when things are looking good, the culmination of several issues of plotting comes crashing down. Betrayed, attacked by their worst enemies, that crew can do nothing but send a final message (in fact, it's implied they are forced to at gun point but don't let that get in the way).

I've said this before, but MTMTE is the best book you are not reading right now. Go change that.

Saoshyant fucked around with this message at 00:47 on Mar 15, 2016

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

That's actually canon!

Guardians of the Galaxy #017 (2009)

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

Azubah posted:

There's a cute kids comic where Venom and Spidey are room mates. Body dealing hijinks is the first arc.

For anyone who cares, it was a small webcomic published on Live Journal (a million years ago) called Loli Loves Venom (yes, that was its name, but it was wholesome) and it was the creation of now industry veteran Joana Lafuente (amazing colorist, and artist). Can only be found in Web Archive these days.

Obviously, amateurish by professional standards, but it was a cute thing from way back when people made webcomics for fun.

Saoshyant fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Apr 20, 2020

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

Azubah posted:

It wasn't this, it's called Spider-Man and Venom: Double Trouble.

Oops. Didn't know that one actually, and it looks neat from whatever images are online. I don't generally like Gurihiru on art, but on this sort of thing they are a good fit and bonus point that it's not the usual attempt at generic anime inspired art. I'll be checking it out, thanks.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

It's as if anything written by Dan Slott is not touching or inspiring in any way.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

Well, that's being snippy for no good reason, so here's some proper content.

It's been a year since the finale of the Walking Dead comic and the ending still comes to mind occasionally, so I'd like to post about it.

First, some context. The penultimate issue wasn't presented as such. In fact, it ends with this page:

Rick Grimes (the protagonist) had just been killed by some brat and his son breaks down and we are to suspect he would go deep into depression. In fact, about four or five more issues were seemingly solicited with the covers implying this scenario.

Except, it was a fake out! The next issue was the final one and it's in a completely different tone from what was seemingly planned. There's a time skip of about 20 years and the world is a very different place.

Carl went on living, married, had a precious daughter. Civilization is rebuilding. In fact, this 80 pages monster of an issue is mostly spent dealing with the aftermath of property laws.

Still, there's some room for contemplation here and there.

It's all about the peace that was built at such a large cost.

The final ten pages or so are Carl narrating a bedtime story to his daughter.

She isn't impressed, obviously. No child who didn't live through any of that would, of course.

Still, this is a happy ending to a gruesome saga. All because someone was strong enough to do what was right.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

Today marks Calvin and Hobbes 35th anniversary! Post your favorite touching/inspiring ones.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

Cooked Auto posted:

Pretty sure most European Donald Duck comics are done in Italy and then just translated to various Scandi languages.
I know Duck Avenger (aka Stål Kalle) was Italian in origin at least.

Most are produced in Italy, yes, but there's also a bunch of stories produced locally in Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Czech Republic, Denmark, Finland, and Sweden from the top of my head. I think Greece, too, but can't recall a specific example.

My country used to import a lot of translated Italian stories, but I also have been following IDW US publications and they picked stories from absolutely everywhere and it's super interesting to me seeing all those different art/writing styles. Enjoying duck comics is strangely one thing unifying many Euro countries, even though most of the local produced stories end up not being translated across nations.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

CzarChasm posted:

Juggernaut and Black Tom?

Seems like it. I will have to go read these now.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

I absolutely love that Mark Waid run. I think most Daredevil runs are great/amazing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

This is from a mostly comedy manga (so read right to left) about a fictitious family, but shortly after the Ukraine war started this particular chapter was written about one of the main character's past.

I re-reread it yesterday and that final panel still hits strong.

Minor context: the two characters pictured are military for the two different sides of what was once a whole country (basically fictional East/West Germany). One just captured the other.

from Spy x Family v10