Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Borachon
Jun 15, 2011

Whiskey Powered
I'm looking into getting a interchangeable lens system to do more photography with actually controlling exposure, aperture, and such; I've done this some on my old powershot SD750, but the controls made it hard. Most of my usage is family pictures and travel, so portability is a high priority. Because of this, I'm mainly looking at mirrorless systems.

I'm thinking I'd be best starting with and older, perhaps used, body, and focus on getting some decent lenses and getting good at actually using them. My budget with a body, prime, and ideally a kit lens is $750 or so.

Here's what I've found so far:
  • Sony has a range of lenses available, retail at the local best buy so I can try the ergnomics, and has been doing mirrorless long enough that there are older used bodies available. I handled the A6000 and it was really nice - just big enough to be comfortable, while still easy to transport; the A5000, on the other hand, was a little on the small side. Sony also doesn't seem have the best support reputation around here, and the upgrade path past the A6000 is going to their FF bodies; should that bother me? Looking at KEH, a used NEX-5r, kit zoom, and 35mm prime fit into my budget.
  • Olympus has similar pluses, along with a more obvious upgrade path (M10->E5 family->E1 family) and a better support reputation. Unfortunately, there's no Olympus retailer in town listed online; I'll be hitting local camera shops tomorrow to see what I can find. Amazon has the low-end E-PL5 w/ the 14-42 kit lens and 25mm f/1.8 online inside my budget.
  • Fuji doesn't have the older bodies, and most of their lenses are more expensive. Not sure what I think about the lack of a viewfinder, too. The X-M1 and 28mm f/2.8 sneaks under my budget with no kit lens. Similarly, the X-M1 with the fast f/2-4 18-55 kit lens used from KEH also fits in my budget, but with no prime lens. Like Olympus, we'll have to see what the local camera shops have so I can check ergonomics.

Are there any obvious older bodies in the Sony/Olympus lines to look at that I can probably get for a modest price and have good ergonomics? Any obvious ones to avoid? Things I've missed or forgotten?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Borachon
Jun 15, 2011

Whiskey Powered

Yeah, that's a pretty screaming deal. I'm going to see if I can find a fuji in town to handle today and see what I think.

Borachon
Jun 15, 2011

Whiskey Powered

Borachon posted:

Yeah, that's a pretty screaming deal. I'm going to see if I can find a fuji in town to handle today and see what I think.

Neither local camera store carry any mirrorless (well, except one that has a Nikon 1). None of the local big boxes (Best Buy, Target, Office Max, Staples, Wally world) have anything mirrorless outside of Sony, either.

Borachon fucked around with this message at 20:06 on Dec 8, 2014

Borachon
Jun 15, 2011

Whiskey Powered

RustedChrome posted:

Best Buy has Fuji X cameras on their site and people have reported seeing them in the stores lately.

Yes, but I've looked both online and at the local stores, and both say there are no Fuji X cameras locally. On the other hand, CostCo also seems to have Fuji X-series cameras online; I can check there locally, as well.

Borachon
Jun 15, 2011

Whiskey Powered

whatever7 posted:

There's not much too look at. If you are in NY, I can show you mine.

If I was in NY, I expect finding someone that carried Fuji or Olympus mirrorless wouldn't be much of a problem. Regardless, thanks for the information on ergonomics; a thumb grip is basically a must whatever I get, since my hands are on the larger side.

Borachon
Jun 15, 2011

Whiskey Powered

Elliotw2 posted:

They said they wanted to have 20 FE-mount lenses between them and Zeiss by the end of the year, but they've only really announced one so far. Currently they have 10 FE lenses, so expect 10 in the next 11 months.

But no word on new e-mount lenses, just FE-mount? There are a lot of inexpensive e-mount cameras out there, but the dearth of crop e-mount lenses (say compared to m43 lenses) for how long e-mount has been around is a little off-putting.

Borachon
Jun 15, 2011

Whiskey Powered
Any opinions on must-have accessories for an X-E1 + 18-55mm for somebody getting started? I've already got wasabi extra batteries and a charger, a 64GB SDXC card, and a USB 3.0 card reader incoming. Soft release buttons seem popular, for example. I was also looking at cases and half-cases, and was wondering if they're worth it and if so which ones people recommend.

Borachon
Jun 15, 2011

Whiskey Powered

TheAngryDrunk posted:

Phlearn is about to release a new tutorial on Lightroom. I have nothing to do with them, but I know they make great content.

http://phlearn.com/product/lightroom-101-201-bundle?awt_l=InQxM&awt_m=3YxNpFAJVerzp2w

Thanks for the pointer. I've been meaning to get and learn the basics of Lightroom and put together a basic workflow. A well put-together tutorial as opposed to spending time digging for the right youtube videos is easily worth the investment.

Borachon
Jun 15, 2011

Whiskey Powered
I've been thinking about picking up the 27mm as a walk-around lens for my X-E1 before a trip to NYC in a few weeks. $250 NIB made that an easy call. Thanks, Fuji!

Borachon
Jun 15, 2011

Whiskey Powered
I picked up the X-E1 and 18-55mm kit lens a few months ago to start being a bit more intentional about photography as opposed to just snapping pictures. I've loved the combination, since it's been good for getting a better feel for focal lengths, shutter speeds, and apertures. Most of my photos have been around town, so they've mainly tended toward the the mid-to-long end of the 18-55's focal range.

Now that I'm a few months in and still going strong, I'm looking to pick up a few lenses before making a first trip to New York City and the first day or two of the U.S. Open at the end of the month. I've already ordered the 27mm as a walk-around lens; any suggestions on other lenses to pick up (either rent or buy?) for trip?

Borachon
Jun 15, 2011

Whiskey Powered

Animal posted:

You want wide in NYC if you wanna shoot buildings.

Thanks, I'll probably rent the Fuji 14mm for the week, then, to try out something new.

Borachon
Jun 15, 2011

Whiskey Powered
Any thoughts on a lens to try via rental for U.S. Open tennis photography? I'll be relatively close to the action (not going to Ashe, have good seats (5 or 6 rows back) on armstrong, and should be relatively close on the grandstand/outer courts). The 55-200 is obviously quite flexible, the 50-135 costs more than I want to spend to rent, and the 90mm really tempting. This'll be attached to an X-E1 body. Any filters I should get or bring, since this will mostly be daytime shooting?

EDIT: Basically I'm thinking of getting one inexpensive lens and one high-end lens for the trip. Currently debating between the 50-230 zoom (tennis) and 14/16mm wide angle (city shots), or the 18mm (city) and either 55-200 or 90mm. I'm leaning towards hte later as walking around the city with an X-E1/18mm might be more convenient size-wise. What I currently own, as I've mentioned before, is the 18-55 kit and the 27mm pancake.

Borachon fucked around with this message at 14:41 on Aug 23, 2015

Borachon
Jun 15, 2011

Whiskey Powered

800peepee51doodoo posted:

Lol go to any Canon users forum and tell them that you prefer the Sigma 50/1.4 Art over the 50/1.2L and you'll hear it plenty. Dat draw, man, dat Canon draw

Even with good seats you'd want the maximum possible reach and fastest aperture. I think the 55-200 is the way to go out of whats available. Also, not really sure you'll be able to get much in the way of action with the X-E1. I have one and I love it to pieces but the tracking AF is pretty useless.

Thanks, someone else suggested similar, so I opted for the 18mm f2 and the 55-200mm zoom. I've done okay with tennis action shots with the X-E1 using burst mode; I've tended to focus on serves and returns since the location of the target is pretty well set to avoid tracking issues, though, yes.

Borachon
Jun 15, 2011

Whiskey Powered

DJExile posted:

You might also want to make sure you can even take a lens of any specific size into the stands. Some events and venues don't allow them for reasons ranging from "no professional cameras" to not wanting you poking and annoying other spectators with the lens.

Thanks, good point. Already looked into this and it's apparently not a problem at this event.

Borachon
Jun 15, 2011

Whiskey Powered

800peepee51doodoo posted:

Even with good seats you'd want the maximum possible reach and fastest aperture. I think the 55-200 is the way to go out of whats available. Also, not really sure you'll be able to get much in the way of action with the X-E1. I have one and I love it to pieces but the tracking AF is pretty useless.

Thanks for the advice; we had a great trip and I got some decent shots. The extra reach and speed of the 55-200 was really helpful. I did miss some shotsbecause of autofocus, so I can see where an X-E2 or X-T1 would be nice, but it wasn't a huge impediment with some care. The shot below (X-E1/55-200) was tracking Tsurenko from courtside as she moved in to hit a forehand winner. Outside of operator error cutting off her foot, the camera and lens did just what they we supposed to.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Borachon
Jun 15, 2011

Whiskey Powered

Crack posted:

Hi, just got a X-E2 w/XF18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS. I think a few people probably got this with the kit lens, what is it good at / what is it terible at? Anything I should know (about camera or lense)?

It's a really nice lens and body. I picked up the X-E1 and kit lens to get started on some photography, and it's been great. With hte kit, it's reasonably sized and very flexible. Paired with the 27mm pancake, the X-E1/X-E2 is a great camera to just toss in a bag to take everywhere, and your X-E2 does autofocus better than the X-E1 as well as having wireless capabilities. In terms of the lenses, when I know what kinds of things I'm shooting I'll use a prime, but if I'm just grabbing the camera to shoot pictures at a family event where I'll need both decently wide and a bit of reach, the kit lens is great for it's speed and flexibility.

The kit lens at its widest to do decent astrophotography. From this past weekend in Bandelier National Monument:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Borachon
Jun 15, 2011

Whiskey Powered

Animal posted:

Best bang for the buck! I bought it for astro, got some great shots, but it's gotten plenty of use as a travel lens. 12mm, kit lens, and a Gorillapod = great travel kit.

-edit- Also props to lonelyspeck.com it is a great site, and Ian is a very sweet guy who will happily answer your emails if you need advice

Ross Kennedy also made a nice page on astrophotography with a fuji.

I'm planning on getting the 12mm exactly for travel and astro, too. The kit lens was fine, but wider and faster would have been better. Basically though, you just need a wide fast lens, a cable release, and a tripod, though lens specifics on things like coma matter, too. The combination of lens characteristics sets how long you can expose for before star trails become visible and there's a simple formula for doing that; both of the web pages linked here will point you to it. If the lens isn't fast enough or wide enough, you don't get enough light in before things start to smear.

Borachon
Jun 15, 2011

Whiskey Powered

Crack posted:

I know this is from a long time ago, but thank you very much! Very motivational, next time the clouds and moon bugger off I'm going to go up a hill to take pictures of the sky.

Just remember that you'll need to be somewhere without much light pollution, and a tripod and a cable release to take pictures like that with the kit lens. That exposure was a 20 seconds or so, and at Bandelier you can just see the milky way with the naked eye. The light on the horizon isn't the remnants of the sunset; it's light from the 60,000 people in Santa Fe (25 miles away) reflecting off the clouds.

Borachon fucked around with this message at 15:18 on Oct 24, 2015

Borachon
Jun 15, 2011

Whiskey Powered

Fart Car '97 posted:

Even with the 2.0 impending... the 35mm 1.4 is still a fantastic lens and might just stay in my kit. Taken this morning during an engagement shoot:

The groom is a pilot and the bride asked me to try and get a shot with a plane in it :thurman:

That's really nice. I may try and pick up a 35mm 1.4 for cheap for my X-E1 once the 2.0 hits or maybe just get the 2.0. I have the 27mm, but both 35mm-s just looks fabulous. What's people's opinions on the X-E2 vs. the X-T10? The X-T10 body doesn't seem much more expensive and gets the newer autofocus which still hasn't rolled to the X-E2, right?

EDIT: Hell, the X-T10 is cheaper new and about the same used from KEH, but does everything the X-E2 does, right?

Borachon
Jun 15, 2011

Whiskey Powered

Hocus Pocus posted:

Do any of you guys own an X-E1? I've been looking online at X-E2 prices and happened to notice that the X-E1 is consistently $250-500 AUD cheaper than the X-E2 and X-Pro1. The cheapest I've seen an X-E1 is $300 vs the X-E2 at $550 and the X-Pro1 at $700.

How is the X-E1 as of the latest firmware? My use case is mainly nature and landscapes, along with the usual day to day shooting. I do want to adapt some M42 lenses though - how is the focus peaking?

Appreciate any insight! It seems like the X-E1 has kind of flown under the radar.

I like my X-E1, but you have to be intentional and careful with autofocus. I'd probably get an X-T10 if I was buying a body now, though I do like the styling of the X-E2 better. If Fuji comes out with the firmware 4.0 for the X-E2, I'll probably switch to that.

Borachon
Jun 15, 2011

Whiskey Powered

Doh004 posted:

A coworker recommended the Canon EOS, but when I came to this thread it seems everyone says the Sony A6000 is the way to go.

I'm not sure I'd agree with that. For mirrorless, Sony e and fe mounts, Fuji x-mount, and micro four-thirds (Olympus and Panasonic) all have their advantages and advocates. Depending on what you want, each has its own strengths and weaknesses. That said, the A6000 is a great all-around mirrorless camera with the one concern being that Sony hasn't made any new APS-c E-mount lenses or cameras in a few years, focusing instead on its FE-mount (full-frame e-mount) camera and lenses, which are a good bit more pricey.

Borachon
Jun 15, 2011

Whiskey Powered

windex posted:

My only point in persisting the futile internet argument is that - small system camera is not the only benefit of a mirrorless camera. The Leica SL and Sony a7 series are not small. EVFs with live histograms, the lack of mirror slap, etc, alone are all good things and cameras should go that way by all means in my opinion.

When the emphasis is on the compact system camera, it's putting an unnecessary weight on the camera part of the equation and the CSC size benefits are not the only reason to like mirrorless.

It's hard to compete against a well-supported existing ecosystem, even with significant technical advantages. Canon and Nikon have a lot of advantages in place that have made it hard for mirrorless to gain traction, even if they're technically superior in many ways.

Canon and Nikon are basically pursuing mirrorless just like Intel and Microsoft have handled the processor and OS markets. They're hedging their bets in case the market trends actually shifts away from them. So, is the Sony FE-mount the iPhone, the DEC Alpha, or the Apple Newton of interchangable camera world? Is the EOS-M the Intel Atom or the Itanium?

Borachon
Jun 15, 2011

Whiskey Powered

windex posted:

While I have been picking on Fuji in this thread that's because they're probably the most viable competitor to the M3. But beyond size/weight considerations, the objective drawbacks of the Fuji APS-C system seem to bog it down.

Beyond size, weight, excellent controls, and great lenses, you mean? Yeah, that's a terrible system. I really have hated every minute of learning photography with a used X-E1 and the 18-55 kit lens, and continually wished I had gotten a used 50D and canon kit lens for the same price instead, so I could have had a bigger camera with a worse lens to start. Because then I'd be able to move to full frame and shoot videos, two things I will probably never do?

Borachon fucked around with this message at 05:37 on Dec 1, 2015

Borachon
Jun 15, 2011

Whiskey Powered

windex posted:

Cost is a good objective reason. But, when the 50D was new, it was a great camera. The cost argument is difficult though, because it assumes the systems with no upgrade path will always meet your needs.

I have an X-E1, the 18-55 kit, and the 27mm pancake. I have *lots* of room to upgrade, including bodies with better autofocus, a lot of different high-quality lenses that make me drool, and better sensors as they come out. There's only "no upgrade path" if your only concept of upgrade path is "larger sensor". By that rationale, Canon, Nikon, and Sony full-frame users are in "systems with no upgrade path" since you can't easily move from them to true medium format, only different sensors of the same size (e.g. in the 5ds).

Borachon fucked around with this message at 05:54 on Dec 1, 2015

Borachon
Jun 15, 2011

Whiskey Powered

LiquidRain posted:

The arguments you dismiss as not holding real weight are all the reasons I dumped my Canon gear and switched to Fuji. :confused:

Not to mention the real weight of all of that Canon gear.

Borachon fucked around with this message at 06:03 on Dec 1, 2015

Borachon
Jun 15, 2011

Whiskey Powered

Animal posted:

Maybe I'm gonna add fuel to this fire: I ordered a Sony A7R II along with a star tracker tripod mount for a stargazing trip in the Atacama desert. This is a one in a lifetime trip and I wanna bring the largest sensor, highest megapixel camera practical in the smallest package. As much as I adore my Fuji gear, the X-Trans sensor is not enough for astro and sprawling highly detailed landscapes (I often run out of pixels when cropping), and Adobe still hasn't gotten their poo poo together with demosaicing in Lightroom. Once I am done with the trip I might flip the camera down in Chile for a profit, or just return it and go back to Fuji.

Makes sense to me. Different tools for different needs. Out of curiousity, why buy the camera and lens instead of rent it if you don't expect to keep it?

Borachon
Jun 15, 2011

Whiskey Powered

Animal posted:

Sweet, I'll just rent everything from them and insure it.

Lensrentals.com is great. I rented both the Fuji 55-200mm and 18mm from there for my NYC/US Open trip from them and it was a breeze. Arrived well-packed in great shape when promised at the local FedEx/Kinkos. The box and label were easy to repack and send back when I came back, and there were no hassles on return or anything.

Borachon
Jun 15, 2011

Whiskey Powered

Animal posted:

Fuji X-E2's can be had for under $200 used, plus the 35mm F2 (50mm equiv) when it comes on sale will total about $500.

I'd be shocked to find an X-E2 for under $200 used; I'd buy that in a heartbeat if I could find it. An X-E1 at that price I could see.

Borachon
Jun 15, 2011

Whiskey Powered

BlackMK4 posted:

Picked up a X-Mount to M42 adapter to use all of my analog lenses. Man, this in combo with the focus peek is a dream.

Any particular lenses you'd suggest trying out? I have an M42 adapter in the mail from amazon and picked up a Super Takumar 55/1.8 and 135/3.5 off of craigslist for $30 total today to get started, but other suggestions would be great.

Borachon
Jun 15, 2011

Whiskey Powered
Oh, god manual lenses are crazy fun on an X-E1. Why didn't I try this a year ago?

Borachon
Jun 15, 2011

Whiskey Powered

bobfather posted:

Lots of new Fuji body and lens firmwares out now.

Hey, even my old X-E1 gets a small update.

Borachon
Jun 15, 2011

Whiskey Powered
I starting using the fuji line a number of years ago with some inexpensive used body/lens purchases, and have loved it. It's now time to upgrade from my old X-E1 body to something a good bit newer (but still probably lightly used), and I could use advise on which body would make sense to get.

I mainly use it for a range of indoor/outdoor family photography needs (e.g. family events, sightseeing, kids' tennis and band events), and some occasional outdoor photography. I don't do much in the way of video shooting, and don't have much interest in starting. I currently use the 18-55 and 55-200 lenses (I also have the 27mm and a few old manual primes), but will probably pick up some of the f2 primes soon and one of the less expensive manual wide angle lenses (either Rokinon 12mm or Loawa 9mm), and pass the X-E1 and kit on to my teenage son.

As I have somewhat larger hands and have enjoyed using the 55-200 for sport shooting, I'm inclined to pick up a used X-T2, especially given other comments here. That said, the X-T30 is tempting, too, and I may run past Best Buy and see how it feels in my hands since it looks like they have it in stock locally.

Other thoughts or suggestions I should consider?

Borachon fucked around with this message at 17:14 on Dec 23, 2019

Borachon
Jun 15, 2011

Whiskey Powered

XBenedict posted:

X-E3? You're already comfortable with that body, and the latest model is pretty inexpensive.

The X-E honestly is already a little awkward with the 55-200, which is another reason I was thinking about the X-T2.

I just tried the X-T20, X-T30, and X-T3 at Best Buy and my first reaction is holy cow has Fuji autofocus improved from the X-E1. It was basically instant on the T30 and T3, and fast enough on the X-T20 that the difference was negligible. Ergonomics of the X-T3 were great, too, while the X-T30 was a bit cramped.

Looks like I'll be hunting for a used X-T2 soon.

Borachon
Jun 15, 2011

Whiskey Powered

Ihmemies posted:

I just wish they released a FF body and stopped wasting their time with niche products. 2 big could be Sony and Fuji since they had such a long headstart to Nikon and Canon. Sony took the opportunity while Fuji wasted it completely. Now it is too late.

I'm not sure if that would make sense from a business perspective.

Assuming mirrorless caught on, at some point Nikon and Canon were going to fully jump into the mirrorless FF game, and they have a decades-long head start on lenses and in building a following. There's only so much room in that area, and having to compete against Sony, Nikon, and Canon there is going to seriously cut into possible market share or profit margins.

It seems like Fuji picked different niches where they think they can have a bigger market share and higher margins from the products they sell. The risk, of course, is how large those markets stay as mirrorless FF develops, but it's an understandable decision, IMO.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Borachon
Jun 15, 2011

Whiskey Powered

torgeaux posted:

I started at the 55-200, moved up to the 70-300 for reach, not dissatisfaction, and then to the 100-400 for the same reason.

All three have been good performers. The 70-300 had a brief bout of softness until a firmware update fixed the IS.

Renting the 70-300mm and a 1.4 teleconverter for our trip to Indian Wells in a week and looking forward to trying it out. Used the 55-200 for a U.S. Open trip quite successfully many years ago, but the extra reach will be nice, particularly in the stands of the larger stadium courts.