Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well
So I randomly tried a Fujifilm X-T1 at a Best Buy the other day and immediately fell in love with the viewfinder and now I have a burning desire to spend like $1500 on it and a lens. My only hesitation is that maybe I could do with one of the lesser models in the X lineup? It's a little unclear to me still what the differences are between them all.

Would an X100T or X-A1 scratch the same itch? I don't necessarily need interchangeable lenses, a normal prime at f 2.0 or faster would be fine for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well

Elliotw2 posted:

Sounds like the X100(s/t) is what you want if you're ok with fixed lens. It's got a 35mm equiv at F/2, and it has the same electronic viewfinder and also a glass viewfinder at the same time. The X-E2 also has a viewfinder built in, and it goes for considerably less with the faster kit lens.

The X-E2 looks like it may be the answer. There are bodies on KEH for $600ish. There's also the X-Pro1, which can be found for about as much as the X-E2. I suppose I should hunt them all down and try them in person.

Edit: And now i've found a Craigslist posting for the X-T1, with the 23mm 1.4 and 27mm 2.8 for $1900 total. Tempting...

frogbs fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Jan 22, 2015

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well
Can someone tell me why Canon haven't released a digital version of the QL-17 G-III? It seems like a no brainer, given the popularity of similar models from other manufacturers.

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well
Is $1600 a good deal for use Fuji X-T1 and 23mm 1.4 lens? I'm considering switching to Fuji and that's the only one for sale on Craigslist. It's either that or I stick with Canon and get a 70d body for $800..

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well
Is $875 a good price for an (apparently) lightly used black x100t?

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well
So I just go a Gordy's wrist strap for my X100T and...I kind of hate it. No matter how I grip it the string wrapped area gets in the way of holding the camera. Maybe I need a longer one, or I should try a wrist strap that connects to the tripod mount?

Has anyone else had this problem?

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well
So far I'm loving my X100T. One thing has been bothering me though. Is there a way to keep the EVF 'engaged' while still keeping the eye sensor on to switch to the rear LCD? I hate putting my eye up and having to wait for the EVF to swing into place. (I know, I should probably use the optical viewfinder, but I'm just not a fan...)

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

No, it's new in addition to the existing B+W mode.

Anyone know if it will be gifted to other models via firmware update? Namely the x100t...

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well

whatever7 posted:

Canon M5

Really Canon, you guys are still going at it? Maybe you should start a new model name to cut ties with the old M bodies.

Dear Canon,

Please make a digital version of the QL-17 GIII and hope that its help you catch up to Fuji.

Hot Dog Day 42069 posted:

The Fujifilm X-T10 has been discontinued already. That had a rather short shelf life.

Wow, wasn't expecting that. Does anyone know of any good deals on them right now? I've been wanting to pick one up.

frogbs fucked around with this message at 05:48 on Sep 18, 2016

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well
What's the over/under on the XT-20 ever coming out? I still can't believe Fuji discontinued the XT-10.

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well
Is $379 a good deal for a Fuji Xt-10 body in *like new* condition?

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well
Has anyone else with an X100T (or any camera with a leaf shutter I guess) ever encountered this background effect at high shutter speeds?

If I shoot all the way open above 1/900 or so I get this weird blurred bokeh effect. My guess is it has to do with the way the leaf shutter closes? I actually kind of like it, reminds me of the Helios 44 a bit.

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well
What’s the Fuji XF lens that has the ‘magic’ inside? The 35mm 1.4?

I seem to remember folks going on and on about one lens in particular for a while. I just picked up a cheap XT-10 body and will probably start by grabbing a normal-ish prime. I’m surprised how many options they have in the 23mm-35mm range!

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well
So I bought a ‘Like New’ Fuji XT-10 silver body on KEH for $379. I got the package today and they accidentally sent me an XT-1 Silver Graphite edition.

I know the XT-10 is a little smaller, but is the XT-1 a much better camera?

I’m probably going to send it back, but thought I would get any opinions you all have.

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well

SMERSH Mouth posted:

The X-T1 has weather sealing and a really big EVF. The X-T10 is 95% the same camera. It doesn't have those two things, but is much more compact and a good deal cheaper.

I wonder what I would do in your situation. Let them know, or wait and see if they find out and ask for it back?

I think I’m going to let them know, it’s a beautiful camera, but not what I ordered!

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well
So I returned the XT-1 to KEH in favor of the XT-10 that I'd actually ordered. Maybe i'm dumb but it felt like the right thing to do! For now i'm going to use adapted lenses on it, but would like to pick up a Fuji lens soon.

I love my X100T and the 23mm focal length, should I just pick up the XF 23mm 1.4, or is it a safer bet to start with the kit lens (XF 18-55 2.8-4)? The XF 35mm 1.4 is enticing too since it's a bit cheaper and has more of a reputation of having the magic dust inside. Has anyone else made the X100 to XT series jump and can offer advice?

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well
So I just received a BGN Fuji XF 18-55 from KEH, and I cant get the aperture to change when I use the ring on the front. It's not in auto, when I spin the ring it goes between f3.2 and f3.6. If I change it to auto mode I can then control the aperture by using the front command dial. This tells me that it's a lens issue and note the camera. Does that sound right?

Actually, I just found a post at DPReview where someone had the exact same problem. Must be common with this lens (or somehow I have the lens he returned)?

At this point I think i'm done with KEH. This is the 3rd order in 6 months where i've gotten either the wrong item completely, or the item was broken on arrival.

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well

Animal posted:

Get a high quality thumb grip, it makes a world of difference in X100 cameras.

Agreed, the lensmate thumb grip was the best thing I bought for my X100T. In my opinion it should be come in the box with the camera.

Also, does anyone in this thread have both the XF 18-55mm and the Rokinon/Samyang 12mm? I tend to shoot wide and have heard great things about the 12mm. Trying to decide which would get more use.

frogbs fucked around with this message at 19:40 on May 4, 2018

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well

qirex posted:

At this point my dream camera is a 28mm equivalent X100 with weather sealing. What kind of sucks is even if I were to spring for an X-Pro 2 there's no water resistant small/pancake lenses, the XF23mm is the most compact. I'd be quite interested in a weather sealed PEN but the lenses aren't there either.

This but with a tilting lcd. Please, Fuji!

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well
Am I crazy, or does Fuji not make a rangefinder style APS-C body that's interchangeable lens, with an EVF and tilting screen?

Basically what i'm looking for is the GFX 50R but in APS-C. The XE-3 is close, but doesn't have a tilting LCD...

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well

tino posted:

Fuji XA series has tilting screen.

I thought the XA's didn't have an EVF, did they add one to a newer model?

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

No, I mean something like the X100, which has fixed 23mm lens with a leaf shutter, but on a GFX sensor and processor with a leaf shutter lens of an equivalent FOV, like a 40 or something and all the usual manual dials. I'd pay basically any amount of money for that.

I agree that this would rule. Basically a digital version of the Texas Leica/GSW690III.

I’d also pay handsomely for an X70 with an EVF and tilt screen (basically an X100 without the optical viewfinder but with an 18.5mm lens and tilting screen).

frogbs fucked around with this message at 06:12 on Jan 15, 2020

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well

red19fire posted:

YOU TELL ME :clint:

Now THIS is the content I come here for.

The 50R is Fuji’s small/budget medium format body, right?

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well

HAIL eSATA-n posted:

Tell me why I shouldn't buy a Fuji xt20

Mega Comrade posted:

Have you held one? They are tiny. Some people find this a good thing but I found it incredibly uncomfortable.

Capable camera though.

This! I bought an XT-10 because I wanted something 'small', but ended up wishing i'd bought the XT-1. It's only a little bit bigger, the EVF is WAY better, and it's much more comfortable to hold, especially without a thumb grip. Definitely try both to make sure you don't miss out!

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well
Does anyone know why Fuji doesn’t put the in-body ND filter from the X100 series in any of their interchangeable lens bodies? Would love to have seen one on the XT-4...

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well

Dr. VooDoo posted:

I got the Fuji 18-55 and next month I have a firefighter pinning ceremony I’d like to shoot. I don’t think the max 55mm zoom is going to get me as close as I’m going to want so what’s a decent zoom for taking photos on stage without being overkill?

The Fuji XC 50-230mm is actually surprisingly good for being under $300 used (check the non-new options here: https://www.amazon.com/Fujinon-XC50-230mmF4-5-6-7-OIS-II-Black/dp/B016YU67L0/). It's got OIS and image quality isn't bad at all, in my opinion!

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well
I have some photography dollars burning a hole in my pocket. What's the wisdom of the thread, adding a Fuji 23mm 1.4, or upgrade from an XT-10 to an XT-2 or XT-3?

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well

XBenedict posted:

Depends on what lenses you already have.

I’ve got a 35mm 1.4 and an XC 55-230.

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well
So I have a Fuji XT-10 with the XF 35mm 1.4, and while I love the lens, i'm always wishing it was a little wider. There's kind of a ton of lens options in the 18 to 23mm range for Fuji, so it's been difficult to decide. Am I a dummy for not just picking up an XF 18-55 2.8-4 ? It's like 1/2 the cost of going with the 23mm 1.4, which would be my ideal choice, but is' spendy and a heck of a lot bigger.

Here's everything i've been considering:

18-55MM F/2.8-4 XF R - By all accounts very good, cheapest option - $280
XF 18mm f2 - Super small, but I haven't heard good things. ~$340
XF 23mm 1.4 - Very well regarded, expensive, heavy - $600
XF 23mm f2 - Also well regarded. Light weight - $340

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well

qirex posted:

What about the 16mm F2.8? I feel like 23mm will only be one "step" wider as it were at 35mm equivalent where the 16 is 24mm equivalent which will give you a lot more. The 18-55 might be a good choice to figure out what your favorite FoV is.

Oooh, that looks nice too. I didn’t realize Fuji had released another wide prime recently. I’ll give it a look, thank you!

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well
Does anyone else with a Fuji XF 35mm 1.4 find that it under exposes by 1 to 2 stops? I’m shooting with an XT-10, other lenses I use are fine. Is it just extra contrasty, do I have a weird copy, or is it probably all in my head?

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well
I've had the itch recently to upgrade from my Fuji XT-10 to something that's got a little better low light performance. Should I just try to find a used XT-3 or is it worth the premium to step up to an XT-4?

The other option i've been considering is switching to something that's full frame. I have a mix of Canon Ef lenses and M42 glass around (in addition to a few XF lenses). Looks like I could get a Canon 6D Mark II relatively cheap, but it's hard to tell if that'd be much of upgrade from what I have now.

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well
So I have an XT-10 and a 35mm 1.4. I’ve been considering upgrading to an XT-2, but also realized the 35mm is too narrow for me and I don’t really like using it in most situations. For about the same money I can either get an XT-2 or an XF 16mm 1.4. What would you go for first, the body or the lens?

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well

frytechnician posted:

Seconding getting the lens. I own the 16mm 1.4 and let me tell you the stages I went through.

1 - Man, this is the most overhyped lens ever - sure it's *pretty* good and all but can't help feeling like I was expecting more, I dunno.

2 - This lens is pretty solid actually. Getting a lot of low light shots in and the minimum focus distance is extremely good. Too bad it's drizzling today but hey, it's weather sealed so I don't feel too worried.

3 - Today I have shot insanely crisp portraits of my gf and also entire buildings as well as some generic street photography.

4 - I love this lens. The only thing I'd change is the lens hood that came with it.

Thanks to everyone for the advice! I think i'm going to list my XF 35mm on ebay and save up for the 16mm. I can upgrade the body later, maybe wait for the X-T5 and snatch a used X-T4

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well
Looks like Fuji finally released the 50mm f.10! https://www.theverge.com/2020/9/3/21419563/fujifilm-50mm-f1-lens-announced-price-release-date

It's actually a little cheaper than I was expecting, $1,499.

Also, I was going to link to Fuji Rumors, then realized I hate prettymuch everything about that site. Is there another Fuji rumors site that doesn't come across so desperate for affiliate links and ads? Obviously it's nice to make money from stuff, but man, it's gotten bad...

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well

qirex posted:

Isn't the focus plane at those apertures only a few millimeters deep? I don't like that "eyes in focus but not the nose or ears" look.

It’s got to be super narrow, especially close up. One pet peeve is when reviewers post sample photos but don’t include what f-stop they’re shot at!

Edit: Jonas Rask has some good examples at f1 https://jonasraskphotography.com/2020/09/03/fujinon-xf-50mm-f-1-first-look-preview-fast-and-furious/

frogbs fucked around with this message at 02:20 on Sep 5, 2020

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well

ShowTime posted:

That's what I was aiming for. I figured i'd get something with a bit of a broad use and then as I figured out what I need or want to have, to start getting more and more specialized. Was hoping there would be a couple lenses that people recommend as must haves, because you'll use them so much, but i'll keep looking around.

I think your two best bets are either the Fuji 23mm f2, or the ‘kit’ lens, which is the XF 18-55 f2.8-4. They’re both around $350 used, and I honestly don’t think you’d go wrong with either one.

I’ve found 23mm to be a pretty ideal in-between focal length for everyday stuff, and at f2 it won’t be bad in low light. Here it is used at MPB: https://www.mpb.com/en-us/used-equipment/used-photo-and-video/used-lenses/used-fuji-x-series-lenses/fuji-xf-23mm-f-2-r-wr/

The XF 18-55 can go wide for landscapes, or to a more portrait appropriate focal length. It also has image stabilization so in low light it won’t be too worse off than the 23mm f2. Here it is used at MPB: https://www.mpb.com/en-us/used-equipment/used-photo-and-video/used-lenses/used-fuji-x-series-lenses/fuji-xf-18-55mm-f-2-8-4-r-lm-ois/

Edit: Also, meant to ask, did the XT200 come with a lens, or do you just have the body right now?

frogbs fucked around with this message at 23:21 on Sep 6, 2020

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well

ShowTime posted:

It came with the Fujinon XC 15-45mm F3.5-5.6 OIS PZ Lens

Oh nice! In my experience even Fuji’s XC lenses are actually pretty nice. My recommendation would be to just try and use it with that lens as much as possible, bring it with you wherever you can and just figure out what focal lengths you like. If you bring your photos into something like Lightroom you can favorite all of your best photos, then run a report of what focal length they were taken at. You could use that to decide on what prime to buy.

The previous poster’s recommendation of a longer zoom is also a good idea! I have the cheaper XC 55-230 and have been super impressed for the money. These are around $250-$300 used in my experience: https://www.mpb.com/en-us/used-equi...ii/sku-1021086/

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well
I ran into a strange issue with my X100T today, I noticed that black and white images look WAY different on the LCD screen on the camera than they do when I transfer them to my phone. I double checked, and they're not shot in raw mode, they're just JPEGs. Any idea if something is going on at transfer time within the Fujifilm app?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well

SMERSH Mouth posted:

That is strange. What application are you using to copy them over? Or are you just drag&dropping them from the file explorer/finder?

I’m using Fuji’s Cam Remote app to transfer them to my phone. I’ll try and post a comparison...