Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rontalvos
Feb 22, 2006
Without weather sealing I see nothing compelling to tempt me to upgrade from my OG X100.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rontalvos
Feb 22, 2006
Is going from an X-Pro1 to an X-T1 that much of an upgrade?

Last summer working in Denali National Park I found my OG X100 inadequate for any kind of wildlife photography so I picked up an X-Pro1, 35 1.4, and an xc 55-230 in preparation for coming back to Alaska.

I just paid for Rio's Fuji 100-400 to get more reach, and I'm wondering if I should upgrade bodies too. Landscapes and (now) wildlife are my largest two categories. Is the focus speed or low light significantly better with the X-T1? I know it's weather sealed and I may need to get the 23 f2 wr once I get a few paychecks.

Rontalvos
Feb 22, 2006
I had Canon gear and only 3 lenses, I bought an original X100 a few months after launch and I didn't touch my Canon gear for over 3 years.

I started to feel the restriction of the X100 and bought the teleconverter lens for it, a used X-Pro1, 35 1.4, 100-400, 1.4x TC, and now I want a 23f2, X-T1, etc.

The other weekend when I did a 24 mile backpacking trip to a glacier I took just the X100 though.

Rontalvos
Feb 22, 2006
IIRC they redesigned the teleconverters and the 100/100S/100T share the same but the 100F has a new version.

Rontalvos
Feb 22, 2006
Ill take seconds on that X-T1 if you sell it soon. I'm tired of missing wildlife shots with my X-Pro1 and 100-400.

Rontalvos
Feb 22, 2006
How's the durability of the silver X-T1s and other bodies? I found a good deal on a silver one and I want to upgrade from the X-Pro1 but I'm curious about how it'll look with time and use.

Rontalvos
Feb 22, 2006
I meant more of like "how will it stand up to my hard use?" But the fucker was already sold when I asked the first time so I'll have to wait for another good deal on an XT-1.

Rontalvos
Feb 22, 2006
When I'd carry around my Fuji GW690II, I was most often asked if it was a Holga.

Rontalvos
Feb 22, 2006
The 50-230 is a decent lens, but I got one used like new for $150 shipped. It's cheap secondhand.

Rontalvos
Feb 22, 2006
That much will get you a Fuji X-T1 body only. Grab a 35 or a 23 and get shooting.

Rontalvos
Feb 22, 2006
Fuji deals means people dumping lenses they don't want so they can buy new ones. Watch classifieds for the real deals.

Rontalvos
Feb 22, 2006
When I went to Banff and Jasper at the beginning of the month, I saw an even split between all sorts of Sony alphabet soup bodies I couldn't identify, and Canon Rebels with the kit 18-55.

Rontalvos
Feb 22, 2006
Unless you really know you need the 2.8, get the 18-55, on the used market you can find them for $325, they're a bargain.

Rontalvos
Feb 22, 2006

rio posted:

Oh ok. That was it, thanks! It’s be nice if they let you adjust settings universally instead of having to be in a camera mode to access certain settings.

I wish you could click on greyed out things and it would tell you what conflicting setting needs to be changed in order to access the greyed out one. I hate the guessing game.

Rontalvos
Feb 22, 2006

Cacator posted:

, but the poor high ISO performance of the original was just extremely limiting to me.

Ok this is something I find kinda funny.

On the one hand, you're absolutely right. There are iso monsters which can shoot at iso 250,000 and make a moonlit beach appear like a bright sunny day. Comparatively, the OG X100 absolutely pales in comparison.

I bought the X100 a few months after it came out, and compared to my Canon 40D, whose ISO was a mess at 1600, in my mind the X100 will always be "good" in low light. Especially compared to what it replaced.

Now, my X-T1 kicks the pants off the X100 in low light. But I'll always have a chuckle whenever somebody calls the original X100 bad for any reason. I still have mine and occasionally shoot with it. I don't think I'll ever sell it.

Rontalvos
Feb 22, 2006

whatever7 posted:

I am pretty sure the teleconverters work with neither the 50-230 nor the 55-200 lens.

Unless they change their design I would like to get a converter to play with my 55-200.

They do work with the 55-200.

Rontalvos
Feb 22, 2006

whatever7 posted:

I looked around. According to forum posts, not physically competible.

It would be super nice if it does.

edit: however the 1 4x can be used behind the 60mm with a 16mm extension tube.

D'oh. I was thinking back to when I was buying extension tubes. You're right. It works only with the 50-140 and the 100-400.

Rontalvos
Feb 22, 2006
I've got a 56 1.2 for sale over in the buy/sell thread that's very clear inside.

Rontalvos
Feb 22, 2006

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

Thanks! :) edit: GYV? :confused:

Your name, abbreviated.

Rontalvos
Feb 22, 2006
I got a used one on Reddit for $240 shipped, I see them fairly often on Fred Miranda for $220-240 shipped.

Rontalvos
Feb 22, 2006

CRAYON posted:

I want to impulse buy the XF 56mm 1.2 with this eBay sale going on. I've kinda felt like I need a longer lens for taking photos of my friends band and portraits while hiking.

Is the 56mm a good choice vs. the cheaper 50mm for these activities? Already have the 35mm 1.4 and 27mm 2.8.

I've got a 56 1.2 for sale in the marketplace thread

Rontalvos
Feb 22, 2006
I spent 2 months in New Zealand with only the 10-24 and 23 f2 and never used the 23 at all. I've never used a telephoto traveling but maybe I should start!

Rontalvos
Feb 22, 2006
I've got an X-T1 and it's starting to show it's age for wildlife photograpy. I'm looking at upgrading, is an X-T3 going to be that much better than an X-T2 with battery grip for focus speed?

Rontalvos
Feb 22, 2006

Hello Spaceman posted:

I've already made up my mind and want an X-Pro, I just wanted to see if anybody's still using a 1 to give me an idea of how it's aged. If it's a tortoise then I'll wait for a 2 at a bargain price :shobon:

My OG X100 feels faster than the X-Pro1, and an X-T1 felt like a full generation leap, which it was. The X-Pro1 was fujis first interchangeable lens mirrorless, and the performance shows. It's a dinosaur but if your subjects are still the camera is still very competent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rontalvos
Feb 22, 2006

frytechnician posted:

23mm 2.0 - Value for money but not as beloved by some.

The 23mm f2 is my most used prime of the few I have, when I travel light I bring that and the kit lens. It may not be everyone's favorite but I like it.